post #31 of 35 Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromSpfdIL View Post

Then WSEC becomes a repeater of WILL (so the Comcast basic cable carriage issue of WILL being the "primary" PBS station and WSEC relegated to digital despite remaining on cable channel 8 is no longer an issue)

Let me say first, that I do NOT think CC handled the whole WSEC/WILL issue properly - at least in the Springfield area. WSEC should most definitely been made the primary PBS on the Spfld system, with WILL being the primary on the Decatur & C/U systems. (an argument could have been on Decatur either way) The point is, just like C/U has their own ABC & FOX (satellite) stations that are separate from the Spfld primaries, PBS should have been treated the same.
But honestly, they should have just sucked it up & kept BOTH on analog until they ditched ALL analog (see info on this below) since our PBS situation is sort of "unique" - they still have the dead modulator up on analog 8, so they are NOT even using that analog "bandwidth" for ANYTHING digital!

And while I am NOT a CC fanboy by any means, you do have to give them kudos for at least giving us THREE PBS stations, & ALL their accompanying subchannels; & even ALL 3 in both SD & HD. I don't know of any other cable systems in our immediate area that do this.
I know that Greene County & Mediacom do not, & I also know that Newwave Cable in the southwestern part of our DMA does not offer WSEC at all - even though they are WAY closer to it than WILL, which they do offer!
And on AT&T U-verse - not only do they not offer WEIU at all, but they offer NONE of the subchannels of ANY local stations.

With all that being said though, I sure as hell hope we would NOT loose WSEC; we need MORE choices for PBS around here, NOT less! And frankly, neither one is what I would consider an "outstanding" PBS in their own rights - THAT'S one of several reasons why I enjoy getting the PBS's out of Chicago. It "amazes" me (for lack of a better word) what they show up there, that do not even make it down on the St.Louis PBS.

But as far as the CC digital-only thing - it is NOT that much of an issue now, (since ALL expanded basic & above cable subs in our market now have 2 FREE DTA's) & it's not going to be ANY issue in the near future, as it's almost certain that CC will be making the remaining limited analog channels digital only. In the other markets they have done with w/limited basic, ALL limited subs get up to 3 DTA's FREE. Once this is done, ALL locals (including ALL 3 of our PBS's) will be on same footing.

They just finished doing this in the city of Chicago, & are going to start this process in the suburbs. Since there are FAR fewer limited only subs all over, it will not take nearly as much time for this transition as there was for the expanded basic analog conversion. They are eliminating ALL analog service, in lieu of going w/SDV, (switched digital video) which they just announced this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 01-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone answer why WGEM Fox is not carried in HD on DirecTV while KHQA broadcasts both CBS and ABC in HD?

Does the CW feed take up that much bandwidth?
post #33 of 35 Old 01-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearstork View Post

Can anyone answer why WGEM Fox is not carried in HD on DirecTV while KHQA broadcasts both CBS and ABC in HD?

Well since FOX IS in HD on DISH & Comcast, I suspect it's because DirecTV is getting these feeds OTA...& since FOX is NOT in HD on WGEM's OTA signal, there's your answer.
DISH & Comcast have direct (studio) feeds from WGEM, so that's why they DO have FOX in HD.

Quote:

Does the CW feed take up that much bandwidth?

Yea, when you are ALSO trying to cram TWO other HD feeds in the SAME signal...go to the Chicago thread & read about all the complaints w/WLS-ABC Chicago, with how they are cramming TWO HD feeds, AND an SD feed on their OTA signal!
post #34 of 35 Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 PM

Liked: 10
post #35 of 35 Old 11-29-2013, 02:25 PM

Liked: 10
Looks like Network Knowledge (WSEC/WQEC/WMEC) avoids the PBS programming downgrade, at least for now, due to a donation surge. From today's Springfield State Journal-Register:

http://www.sj-r.com/article/20131129/NEWS/131129739/0/SEARCH
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page