Kirksville MO - Ottumwa IA HDTV OTA - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 05-11-2011, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IPTV audio subchannel test

I'm trying to gather info on what HDTV OTA receivers can pick up the IPTV XX.99 subchannel.

If you have a rig that pulls in IPTV from an antenna, could you see if your tuner can pick up one of the XX.99 subchannels below? It should be audio only, probably sometime before noon daily.

I do know that my TiVo HD, Channel Master CM 7000 and Zenith DTT901 digital to analog converter boxes do not decode the audio.

The following tuners have been reported to work. If yours is not listed, and works, please post it here.

DigitalStream DTX9950 digital-to-analog converter box
Accurian handheld DTV
LG TV

Channel 11.99 - Des Moines
Channel 12.99 - Iowa City
Channel 21.99 - Fort Dodge
Channel 24.99 - Mason City
Channel 27.99 - Sioux City
Channel 32.99 - Waterloo
Channel 32.99 - Council Bluffs
Channel 36.99 - Red Oak
Channel 36.99 - Davenport

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 07-09-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like bad news for the Kirksville translator displacement app. It's being dismissed, though I can't find if that's per FCC action or the applicant's request.

Meanwhile, long-time TBN rebroadcaster K42AM Ottumwa was part of the huge donation of TBN properties to the Minority Media Telecommunications Council. MMTC in turn is in the process of selling the station, now KUMK-LP to New Moon Communications:

IOWA:
It appears Ottumwa is poised to get an NBC-TV affiliate this fall. New Moon Communications says in a press release to All Access that it plans to convert low-power station KUMK-LP/42 (Ottumwa) to an NBC affiliate with local news. The move would give the Ottumwa-Kirksville market a complete set of all four major networks for the first time. New Moon is buying KUMK and three other LPTV stations outside the Upper Midwest from the Minority Media and Telecommunications Council, which received them as a donation from the Trinity Broadcasting Network. (6/27/2011) (from Upper Midwest Broadcasting at Northpine.com)

I was back in Iowa this past week and word is the relocated OATS translator tower has been completed and should be lighting up soon. The OATS business model could be really tough, since OATS doesn't receive help from WHO or KCCI.

Perhaps the specter of a competing NBC affiliate in KUMK could cause WHO to consider its stance on assistance??

www.therenegaderoadhouse.co Southern rock, pop and country favorites play here!
post #63 of 75 Old 07-30-2011, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

update: KYOU's app to move Kirksville translator to ch 22 was dismissed earlier this month...not sure why

also TBN's former satellator K42AM, (which in fact was the predecessor of channel 15 KOIA, later KYOU) is now KUMK-LP and is in the process of being sold to New Moon Communications. KUMK will have NBC affiliation. More here..

post #64 of 75 Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
KYOU went back for another try and the translator was approved for channel 30 earlier this fall. There's a CP to change tower sites. I think the new location may be the twoer by the KTVO studios, but my Kirksville geography is a little foggy since I haven't been there in 15 years.
post #65 of 75 Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Reason for going silent

The licensee of K34CW has received a notice of termination for the stations tower lease at the current site for K34CW. The owner has found the tower structure has deteriorated to the point that it no longer safe to work on. The owner plans on dismantling the structure in the immediate future. Accordingly, with no tower from which to broadcast at this time, the station was forced to go silent.

The licensee of K34CW also holds the construction permit for digital comapanion channel facility K30MG-D, facility id no. 189642, Kirksville, Missouri. That station has a pending application for modification of construction permit to move to a new tower location, file no. Bmpdtt-20111013agn. That application is currently pending. Once that application is granted, and in light of the pending digital transition, the licensee will determine the best course to take for K34CW.
post #66 of 75 Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 AM

It appears the K30MG repeater is up. DXer Jeff Kadet in Macomb, IL reports receiving it. With it and the main transmitter at Richland, KYOU should have good coverage. For those of you in the area, how is it getting out?
post #67 of 75 Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Griffin View Post

It appears the K30MG repeater is up. DXer Jeff Kadet in Macomb, IL reports receiving it. With it and the main transmitter at Richland, KYOU should have good coverage. For those of you in the area, how is it getting out?

I'm getting a strong signal here in the southwest corner of Kirksville. Looks okay. Just showing SD programming right now, so I'll be interested in the picture of some HD programming.

(I do have two antenna's joined together with a preamp, but that's really for my failed attempt at getting a reliable signal from Hannibal/Quincy. My smaller UHF only antenna is pointed towards KTVO/KYOU. I was never able to get 15-1 previously, so this is working quite well right now.)
post #68 of 75 Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Since there hasn't been much action here, I thought I'd mention the apparent crash and burn of proposed NBC 42 in Ottumwa as it's for sale [URL=http://www.radiotvdeals.com/35.html?m8:search[sel_text0]=LPTV;search[group]=933740;search[nested]=1]http://www.radiotvdeals.com/35.html?m8:search[sel_text0]=LPTV;search[group]=933740;search[nested]=1[/URL]

Wonder if KYOU would like to frost the folks at Quincy Newspapers from north (KWWL) to south (WGEM) by running an NBC subchannel?

Don't expect WHO-TV to be back on the Ottumwa translator. Word is that OATS is R.I.P. Their Copperhead Rd. tower site was sold in November..http://wapello.iowaassessors.com/sale.php?gid=147229&sid=361 Little birdies on the tower say the new owner wants the towers gone.

post #69 of 75 Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM

Sinclair is coming to the Tri-States as they will be purchasing all of the Barrington stations including KTVO and KHQA (plus WHOI in Peoria):

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sinclair-broadcast-group-announces-agreement-to-purchase-barrington-tv-stations-steven-pruett-to-be-named-chief-operating-officer-of-chesapeake-tv-subsidiary-193984551.html
post #70 of 75 Old 02-25-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thought it was time to wake up this thread with an update on KTVO.

A year ago in February, just before the deal to sell KTVO and the other Barrington stations to a Sinclair subsidiary was announced, KTVO filed an application to double its power from 87 kW to 174 kW. It seems to me that Barrington finally got a sense of urgency about upgrading KTVO's puny ch. 33 signal ch.once a suitor for the station was in the works.

Then comes the FCC repacking freeze in April 2013. KTVO filed for a waiver to the freeze, but all they're getting from the commission is the big chill.

In a way, it's hard to feel sorry for Barrington. They knew when they bought the former Raycom stations that some were low-banders like channel 3 that were operating on pre-HD-conversion temporary facilities that were sub-par. Indeed, the Raycom operated-but-not-owned KYOU-15 in Ottumwa was upgraded to 249 kW at 360 meters.

So, Barrington dragged its heels on an upgrade for four years, now the Commission is doing the same thing by sitting on the application for a year without taking action. Maybe it's time to just put KTVO out of its misery.

KYOU could easily run ABC on 15.1, a combined FOX/CBS on 15.2 and with its Kirksville translator would cover almost the same population as KTVO.

post #71 of 75 Old 04-07-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

OATS is no more. The Ottumwa Area Translator System was formed in the early 60s to bring out of market TV stations to Ottumwa. Back then KTVO, primary CBS and secondary NBC and ABC, was the only game in town. No cable yet. Much of the town sits in a river valley which puts the stops on Des Moines and Cedar Rapids TV.

Back in the 60s and 70s, ch 74 was KRNT(now KCCI) ch 8 CBS Des Moines, and 76 was WHO-TV 13 NBC Des Moines. 72 ran KHQA 7 CBS Hannibal MO/Quincy IL for a while in the late 60s and early 70s.

After the translator band 70-83 was given to land mobile, the OATS translators moved to 23, 25 and 27. Ottumwa's FOX affiliate KYOU 15 used one, since a fair amount of Ottumwa was terrain shadowed from the main transmitter some 25 miles NE. KCCI and WHO used the other two. These licenses were officially delted in the last month.

Between losing the lease on their original tower site on Monkey Mountain and then the DTV conversion, the OATS board decided to end operations. They had rebuilt their tower on 35 acres of land they bought a few miles south of the old site. But with the run-up in land prices over the last few years, the OATS board sold the land at a profit which covered the debts OATS had incurred with the tower move.

post #72 of 75 Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 AM

It is my understanding that KCRG was carried on 74 in the early years. I would guess that the switch to KCCI occurred sometime after KTVO switched from CBS to ABC. Also when channel 25 came on around 1988, it carried KDSM originally. For a time, the KDSM translator was turned off during Fox and Iowa sports, which KOIA/KYOU had exclusive contracts for. I think the switch to carrying KYOU came shortly after KDSM got their slot on the local cable system (establishing them as "significantly viewed").

I'm sorry to see the translators sign off, although it was inevitable. Channel 42 (KUNK, ex-K42AM) was also deleted. KTVO has been using the absence of the translators (and thus lack of local OTA viewership of KCCI) to gain exclusivity for their CBS programming on 3.2 with area cable systems. They have started with small ones first (Citizens Mutual in Bloomfield and LISCO in Fairfield), but at some point they'll go after Mediacom.
post #73 of 75 Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

I've heard that too, that KCRG was one of the original stations, and that they helped OATS a bit back when the translators were first built.

I didn't know much about the OATS translators other than the occasional story in the Ottumwa Courier about them trying to raise donations. So the first time I found them on the little Sony TV as a ten year old, I thought I was breaking the law watching 72 - 74 - 76! Of course by then KTVO had changed to ABC and channel 8 took over with CBS on 74.

Never understood what KHQA wanted with a translator in Ottumwa, though...

post #74 of 75 Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 PM

At the time, KHQA and the Ottumwa Courier were both owned by Lee Enterprises. The Des Moines stations hadn't yet moved to the Alleman towers, so maybe they hoped to gain a foothold as the CBS station for Ottumwa.

Years ago, I found a newspaper clipping in a used book that had an ad for soe show n KCRG from 1965. Under the logo was "Ottumwa UHF 74."
post #75 of 75 Old 07-07-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Griffin View Post
At the time, KHQA and the Ottumwa Courier were both owned by Lee Enterprises. The Des Moines stations hadn't yet moved to the Alleman towers, so maybe they hoped to gain a foothold as the CBS station for Ottumwa.<br><br>
Years ago, I found a newspaper clipping in a used book that had an ad for soe show n KCRG from 1965. Under the logo was "Ottumwa UHF 74."
Tap, tap...is this thing on?

David Oxenford's Broadcast Law Blog reports in an article entitled: "FCC Orders Freeze on LPTV and TV Translator Displacement Applications, While Slightly Easing Freeze on Applications by Full Power TV Stations" that...well, the title sums it up nicely. If you want to read the article, http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/2014...r-tv-stations/

Basically this means the app at the FCC for KTVO to double its transmitting power to 174 kW ERP might get to come out of the freezer. Stay tuned...

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page