Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-28-2008, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
All,

Has anyone up in the Hudson Valley who is served by Time Warner been able to get digital locals in-the-clear with their HDTV tuner?

I am a subscriber in Sullivan Country (on the Liberty area TWC System) and subscribe to Broadcast Basic. (The $15/ mo. package that gets me CBS x 2, NBC, FOX, ABC, PBS, ION, Telemundo, ESPN, FX, FitTV, VH1, and some HSN / PA channels -- 20 total. I get CBS from Binghamton (WBNG) and NYC (WCBS)). I was hoping to be able to get the broadcast networks in HD up here.

Downstate (where I subscribe to Cablevision) I am able to get Digital Locals free in the clear, along with the sub-channels. I figured that this was a result of FCC Must-Carry rules, so I brought an HDTV up here (so I can make room for a newer one back home), but am only able to get the 480i Analog locals through the cable. Yes, I've tried all options when seaching for channels.

I've tried the arial antenna, and I am too far from the mountaintop to receive OTA -- I barely get a blip on UHF 28 WBRE from Willkes-Barre.

Anyone get them? Is TWC required to provide them? Will I have to rent a converter box to do so? (I will be visiting their Walk-in Center on Route 52 in the near future, as I need to take care of other things, but I'd like to be able to walk in with ammuntion.)

Can anyone help?

Cheers!
-Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
some basic stuff im getting on clearQAM

wpix HD(107.1)
fox HD(107.2)
abc HD(79-1)
Live Well HD (79-2)
nbc HD(1.4)
universal sports HD(1.6)
universal hd (110.5)
cnn HD(88.1)
discovery HD(88.2)
cbs (92.502) -SD
my 9 (92.509) -SD
espnHD (91.3)
tntHD (91.4)
post #3 of 17 Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 AM

Hudson Valley

September 18, 2009

From time to time we make certain changes in the services that we offer in order to better serve our customers. The following changes are planned:

On or about October 1, 2009, we will launch two sports overflow channels on ch. 197 and ch. 198.

On or about October 21, 2009:

We will launch the following new channels and they cannot be accessed on CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Products purchased at retail without additional two-way capable equipment: Big Ten 2 on ch. 473, Big Ten 3 on ch. 474, Big Ten 4 on ch. 475, Ecuavisa on ch. 814, Canal 24 (Tve 24) on ch. 853, SET Asia on ch. 561, Telemicro on ch. 810, The Filipino Channel on ch. 594, Tve. Cultural es. on ch. 828 and WAPA America on ch. 806.

In addition, and at this time, Encore Action (252), Encore Drama (255), Encore Love (253), Encore Mystery (254), and Encore Westerns (256) cannot be accessed on CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Products purchased at retail without additional two-way capable equipment, and in Newburgh, Middletown, Port Jervis, New Platz, Rosendale, Monticello, Liberty, and Tusten we will launch WXTV HD (Univision) on ch. 719.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-21-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

some basic stuff im getting on clearQAM

wpix HD(107.1)
fox HD(107.2)
abc HD(79-1)
Live Well HD (79-2)
nbc HD(1.4)
universal sports HD(1.6)
universal hd (110.5)
cnn HD(88.1)
discovery HD(88.2)
cbs (92.502) -SD
my 9 (92.509) -SD
espnHD (91.3)
tntHD (91.4)

That's awesome. What level of service do you subscribe to? Even if a similar set of channels are available on the Liberty System, I still think I am fubar as they probably have too many filters on the pole, keeping the HD and other digital signals out.

Thanks for the heads up. If I can get them to unblock those digital channels, and get all the broadcast networks plus ESPN-HD for $15 / month, I'll be a happy camper.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #5 of 17 Old 09-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

I just subscribe to internet, I don't pay for any cable at all
post #6 of 17 Old 09-21-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just subscribe to internet, I don't pay for any cable at all

Nice.

I was planning on adding Road Runner Basic (29.95 / mo) up there when I finally get the rest of my LAN wired. When the tech comes to validate the installation, I'll be sure to have the filters on the pole fixed.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #7 of 17 Old 10-12-2009, 11:42 PM

TWC has implemented Switched Digital Video in Hudson Valley area!
Anyone have a Tivo in Hudson Valley?
I do and they just sent me my Tuning Adapter.
I'm getting 5 new SDV HD channels.
TCMHD, CNBCHD, DisneyHD, NY1HD, and LVwelHD.
The problem is the channel ID is incorrect on two of the SDV channels.
The Guide Data is either missing or incorrect all the SDV channels.
Who is responsible for this? TIVO or TWC?
How do you get this fixed?
post #8 of 17 Old 10-14-2009, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Thought I'd add the rest of the channels I get. I also realized in my previous post I listed some stations with the virtual channel numbers, which will not work to be added in Windows 7 MCE.

wpixHD WPIXDT (107.1)
foxHD WNYWDT (107.2)
abcHD WABCDT (79-1)
LiveWellHD WABCDT2 (79-2)
nbcHD WNBCDT (80.4)
universalsportsHD WNBCDT4 (80.6)
PbsHD WNETDT (80.1)
PbsKidsHD WNETDT2 (80.2)
universalHD UHD (110.5)
cnnHD CNNDT (88.1)
discoveryHD TDCDT (88.2)
cbs WCBS (92.502)
my9 WWOR (92.509)
espnHD ESPNDT (91.3)
tntHD TNTDT (91.4)
FX FX (107.3)
NY1 NY1 (112.5)
QVC QVC (114.7)
HSN HSN (114.10)
C-Span3 CSAPN3 (93.8)
MSNBC MSNBC (92.504)
WXTV WXTV (92.541)
WNJU WNJU (92.547)

There are a few other channels, including cspan and cpsan2, but I don't remember what station they are on. There is also about 5 foreign language channels, but I'm not listing those.

The only channel that I can't find, and I'm guessing isn't in the lineup is WCBSDT or CBS in HD. If anyone else finds it, please pass it on! I know they also have a CBS from Binghamton, NY which is 114.9. I belive the call sign is WCBS2 affliate or something for those who wish to add it and get proper guide listings.

Anyway, enjoy and I'll update if anything new pops up, or something old gets moved.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

Nice.

I was planning on adding Road Runner Basic (29.95 / mo) up there when I finally get the rest of my LAN wired. When the tech comes to validate the installation, I'll be sure to have the filters on the pole fixed.

Cheers!
-Doug

They can filter out the NTSC signal (traditional analog), but not the ATSC/ClearQAM, so try that first.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They can filter out the NTSC signal (traditional analog), but not the ATSC/ClearQAM, so try that first.

There is a low-pass filter on my drop. I am certain of it, because I can only tune 2-24 NTSC analog, 96, 97, 98, and 99.. And that is it. No digital gets through what-so-ever. (Every time I go up there, I try and rescan, trust me.) I only subscribe to broadcast basic for $15.50 per month... No RR yet (soon, though).

I can get a snowy picture of 25 (which is Comedy Central), so that is where the cut-off is.

The CBS affiliate from Binghamton is WBNG-12. It was a nice to have during football season, because Binghamton is a different NFL market, and you'll get a different game (most likely the Bills or Steelers) if the Jets are on Ch 2 (or the good CBS late game if the Giants are home at 4 pm and on Fox). Needless to say, TWC stopped providing the analog feed on NTSC Ch 12... They also dropped WVIA from Scranton, too (Was on NTSC Ch 8).

Where in the OC are you? I though that Orange County was CV Country.... (I am sure at least part of it is..)

Cheers!
-Doug
post #11 of 17 Old 10-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

I'm in the town of Montgomery. Yea sounds like they have a filter on your NTSC, I don't get any channels at all on my NTSC tuners. Thankfully clearQAM comes through perfectly. Do you have a clearQAM tuner?
post #12 of 17 Old 10-14-2009, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm in the town of Montgomery. Yea sounds like they have a filter on your NTSC, I don't get any channels at all on my NTSC tuners. Thankfully clearQAM comes through perfectly. Do you have a clearQAM tuner?

Yes. The reason I originally started this thread was that I had a HDTV (w/ clear QAM tuner) I had brought to my home upstate. The TV there was too small (19" tube), so I brought a 32" set up. Downstate on Long Island, I was able to tune local broadcast HD via QAM in the clear from CableVision with this set. I was hoping for something similar up there... no-go.

The filter was put on the line probably 10+ years ago, when service was downgraded from Standard to Broadcast Basic. It hasn't been touched, since.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #13 of 17 Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, that sucks. Can you try manually entering some of the channels I've posted? You should be able to get ESPNHD for example. Sometimes QAM tuners don't automatically pickup stations during the normal scan.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, that sucks. Can you try manually entering some of the channels I've posted? You should be able to get ESPNHD for example. Sometimes QAM tuners don't automatically pickup stations during the normal scan.

I can try next time up there... but if the frequency is blocked, it doesn't really matter what content is coming down the pipe.. analog or digital.. it won't get through.

You are lucky in that the suite of filters used on your drop isn't tight enough to only allow the broadband internet connection through. It's permitting adjacent stuff through.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-08-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just received a letter from TWC, reading that they will be moving the Public Access & Educational/Government Access channels on the Liberty System (Sullivan County) to Clear QAM. The provided letter advises the switch will occur near July 23, 2013.
Since I am a Basic Video subscriber, I can ask for the DA's to receive these channels (or use a TV with a Clear QAM tuner -- the channels will be 20-2 and 20-4, according to the letter). The DA's will be free until then end of 2014, then $0.99 per month thereafter.

Looks like digital is coming to the HV....

Cheers!
-Doug
post #16 of 17 Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI,

WBRE-DT (NBC) from Scranton (in cropped SD) and WBNG-DT (CBS) from Binghamton (in cropped SD) now on clear QAM 20-1 and 20-5, respectively on TWC Liberty System in Sullivan County.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #17 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Virtual Channel Map Incorrect

With TWC in my region changing to their grouped lineup soon, one thing I did notice is that the virtual channel lineup sent to my Cisco 170HD DTAs do not map to the HD versions of the broadcast channels.

2 and 702 (WCBS) map to the same SD Channel.
4 and 704 (WNBC) map to the same SD Channel.

Same goes for 5 and 705, 7 and 707, 9 and 709, 11 and 711, and 13 and 713. Other HD channels I receive with StarterTV (ESPN, FX) map to the proper HD feed.

I pressed and held down "7" on the remote to bring up the diagnostics screen, and can display the virtual channel map for the entire lineup, and it reads that yes, 2 and 702 map to the same frequency and same QAM program #.

Anyone else having a similar issue? I can still tune local HD via my TV's internal QAM tuner, so I have an out, but would like letterboxed 16:9 on my old CRT TV's, which I cannot receive now (else I get cropped 4:3 on the SD feed). I am inclined to wait until the channel change goes through before I put in a service call.

In addition, anyone else familiar with the STATUS displayed on the 170HD? I've seen it YELLOW and RED, but have no idea what this means. FWIW, there is a lot of information on that diagnostics screen. The DTA knows the last 50 or so channels you've tuned, can display signal level, noise, etc.. Quite powerful if you are on the phone with a tech to determine if a problem is a wiring problem or an equipment problem...

Cheers!
-Doug
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page