Forum Jump: 

post #8341 of 9289 Old 11-06-2009, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

The remote should have a button on it that has either a dash (-) or a dot (.).

However if the TV is HD "ready" as you say, I believe that means that it is able to accept and display HD content but doesn't have an HD tuner built into it. If that is the case you won't be able to receive HD channels without a cable box or something else with an HD tuner that can receive the signal and pass it to the TV.

If I'm wrong here I'm sure someone can correct me.

Consider going to Setup and autoprogram.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8342 of 9289 Old 11-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally34949 View Post

Do you really notice a difference with the subchannels going? I haven't, but I have 720p--not 1080i.

I noticed a big difference several months ago when the Spanish channel was added.

I have no way of measuring this, but their HDTV resolution appears to be poorer than 480p with my setup ( 61" 1080p ). I am surprised it isn't noticeable on a 720p TV.

One good thing this station has done is to improve the signal coverage in this area. For about a year, I rarely received a consistent picture. Recently it has been good every time I watch.
post #8343 of 9289 Old 11-06-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Graffman View Post

I noticed a big difference several months ago when the Spanish channel was added.

I have no way of measuring this, but their HDTV resolution appears to be poorer than 480p with my setup ( 61" 1080p ). I am surprised it isn't noticeable on a 720p TV.

One good thing this station has done is to improve the signal coverage in this area. For about a year, I rarely received a consistent picture. Recently it has been good every time I watch.

If it's not noticeable on a 720p display, it's most likely not noticeable.

Arguably, 720p is a better experience simply because it's not an interlaced display.

http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/...d.php?p=632576
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-JXfyvlPh0
post #8344 of 9289 Old 11-07-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Graffman View Post

Not so long ago, WXEL had 1080i for their 42.1. About 6 months ago (going on memory), they went to 720p, not too long after that, they added the Spanish sub channel. As far as I'm concerned, getting rid of the Spanish sub channel itself would be an improvement' in sub channel content.
post #8345 of 9289 Old 11-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminance View Post

Not so long ago, WXEL had 1080i for their 42.1. About 6 months ago (going on memory), they went to 720p, not too long after that, they added the Spanish sub channel. As far as I'm concerned, getting rid of the Spanish sub channel itself would be an improvement' in sub channel content.

I fully agree. I might also suggest that this is true for any of the primary English channels that carry Spanish sub-channels.
post #8346 of 9289 Old 11-10-2009, 05:47 PM

No new HD channels today on comcast in PSL. Thought we had a chance but no dice!!!

Signature 141
post #8347 of 9289 Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 PM

I have had no tlc hd amc hd cnn hd fx hd and the list continues,,,,,move some of those useless analog channels to dgitial. I am look to go to direct tv,
post #8348 of 9289 Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM

^^^ I switched to both u-verse and directv but came right back to comcast because of PQ...all I want is fox news HD!!!

Signature 141
post #8349 of 9289 Old 11-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgemmati View Post

^^^ I switched to both u-verse and directv but came right back to comcast because of PQ...all I want is fox news HD!!!

I have heard that u-verse's picture wasn't as good as cable but I am suprised to hear that directv was also worse. I have always read that directv's hd quality was better than comcast. Glad I never switched, now I just wish comcast would get on the ball and add some more channels.
post #8350 of 9289 Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZNole View Post

I have heard that u-verse's picture wasn't as good as cable but I am suprised to hear that directv was also worse. I have always read that directv's hd quality was better than comcast. Glad I never switched, now I just wish comcast would get on the ball and add some more channels.

I was a long time user of D* and switched to Comcast about 3 years ago. At that time, local channels on D* were so bad that they were nearly unwatchable.
HDTV was OK, but Comcast had noticeably better video quality. Of course, this might not be true today. Satellite vs cable comparisons are always a moving target.

My HOA had a presentation from Comcast last night. Details were fuzzy (inept Comcast rep.), but I understood two significant changes for Martin County. A new channel lineup starting Jan 1, and significant analog to digital changes in the 2nd quarter of next year. These changes will coincide with introduction of the new el cheapo digital to analog converter.
post #8351 of 9289 Old 11-11-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZNole View Post

I have heard that u-verse's picture wasn't as good as cable...

Interesting... I wasn't aware of that. Too bad, since I'd love to switch away from Comcast.
post #8352 of 9289 Old 11-12-2009, 03:52 AM

Anyone notice more dropouts on Channels 5 and 12 over the weekend. I'm going to guess that it was because of the wind.

Why would anyone want to be a VHF?!
post #8353 of 9289 Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 PM

I just went over to hdhomerun.com, in the "resoures" section, and entered a Pompano Beach zip code to see how their clearQAM lineup is doing. To my surprise, I noticed that they have cleared (unscrambled) many basic cable channels. All cable systems are required by an FCC mandate to keep all channels that can also be picked up over the air clear. Palm Beach Comcast conforms to that ruling by keeping just the required channels clear - and not one channel more! Well, it looks like Comcast down south is going above and beyond the call of duty and keeping clear - not just the mandated ones - but also the standard definition digitized versions of basic cable channels and a significiant amunt of other channels. It would be nice if they cleared the HD versions of those same channels, but this is still an improvement over before. I assume Palm Beach will one day be on par with Broward, so I report this as something we can expect here down the road in the future.

For a system that needs more bandwidth, I can not understand why Comcast carries both HD and SD versions of each channel. It would make so much sense to just carry the HD versions to free up the bandwidth of the SD variations of the same channels. Set-top boxes can easily convert HD to SD, so there is no logical reason for them to keep the SD copies and choke up valuable bandwith. Heck, that's what the satellite companies do!
post #8354 of 9289 Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 PM

Strat if you're around did your sammy switch wpbt from channel 2 to 18 Thurs. Mine has a nasty habit of doing this on different channels while my set top boxes do not. If I input 2 I get analog 2 with snow and if I input 18, I get 18.3 but doesn't redirect to 2. Should I try a rescan? Im hesitant because after I do re scans for some reason a random channel will always disappears and sometimes inputting by hand the missing channel after a re scan is not an option. Possible someone else with a sammy might know? Thanks

Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed. - George Burns
post #8355 of 9289 Old 11-13-2009, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpsystems View Post

Strat if you're around did your sammy switch wpbt from channel 2 to 18 Thurs. Mine has a nasty habit of doing this on different channels while my set top boxes do not. If I input 2 I get analog 2 with snow and if I input 18, I get 18.3 but doesn't redirect to 2. Should I try a rescan? Im hesitant because after I do re scans for some reason a random channel will always disappears and sometimes inputting by hand the missing channel after a re scan is not an option. Possible someone else with a sammy might know? Thanks

I have posted in the past that same "problem"...with Channel 12-1 that occasionally becomes 13-1 and then returns to 12 just as 'randomly' (that is, without my input...)

Samsung HL50A650
post #8356 of 9289 Old 11-13-2009, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitatiger View Post

I have posted in the past that same "problem"...with Channel 12-1 that occasionally becomes 13-1 and then returns to 12 just as 'randomly' (that is, without my input...)

I have this same problem about once a month. Never with any other channels. I wonder if this is unique to Samsung TVs.
post #8357 of 9289 Old 11-13-2009, 07:20 AM

Indeed, WPBT-2 (RF 18) stopped displaying 2 and became 18 last night. I suspect they lost their PSIP, which, among other things, "translates" the RF channel into the virtual channel. This happens every so often with some stations (others seem to have staff that actually monitor their equipment and correct issues as they arise). WSVN used to have that problem a lot, and WPEC has had it off and on.

It's not the TV, as it happens to both of my 2 HD sets - it's the station. When they fix their PSIP issues, things will return to normal. Rescan is not necessary (at least with the Sammy). That said, channels without PSIP that were in your 'favorites' will most likely have to be restored.
post #8358 of 9289 Old 11-13-2009, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the responses, strat I've been meaning to ask you for a while on your sammy if you're on ota have you noticed that the time it takes for a picture to come on channel 6 and 51 is greater than other channels. What I mean is if youre on a channel and press another channel number on the remote it usually goes there pretty quick but if your in another channel and press 6 or 51 on your remote you will get a black screen for what seems 3x as long before the pic comes on. I was just curious thanks.

Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed. - George Burns
post #8359 of 9289 Old 11-13-2009, 03:25 PM

Is there some major reason why Comcast in West Palm has minimal HD channels?
I see my folks in Vero Beach this week just got a number of new HD channels.
I was in Michigan from 2005-2008 (lansing) and comcast there had more HD channels than either system in vero or here.

was the adelphia system that bad? I thought in 2004 they totally rebuilt it with fiber and so on (when they started offering high speed internet)?

I also cant stand these scientific atlanta boxes any chances those will go away an we get motorola ones?
post #8360 of 9289 Old 11-13-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpsystems View Post

Thanks for the responses, strat I've been meaning to ask you for a while on your sammy if you're on ota have you noticed that the time it takes for a picture to come on channel 6 and 51 is greater than other channels. What I mean is if youre on a channel and press another channel number on the remote it usually goes there pretty quick but if your in another channel and press 6 or 51 on your remote you will get a black screen for what seems 3x as long before the pic comes on. I was just curious thanks.

Yes, I'm strictly OTA, and I have noticed that once in a while there is a delay in the picture coming on when switching channels. Certainly it's the exception rather than the norm, but it does happen on occasion. Now that I'm thinking about it, I have to see if it happens on any other channels. I don't speak Spanish, so I never watch 51.
post #8361 of 9289 Old 11-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

If you are an NFL fan, be sure and check out NFL Red Zone on game days. They do an excellent job of telecasting key plays of all games in progress.

In Martin County it's carried on Comcast 390.
post #8362 of 9289 Old 11-20-2009, 06:08 AM

Unfortunately, antenna television was a disaster. I gave it a good try. I purchased a very large VHF/UHF antenna ($139.00), mounted it 32 feet in the air and actively became involved in several Internet blogs. Here are some of my problems.

My Zip code is 34949. Most of my stations are 61 miles away and many of these stations have been allowed to broadcast 20 miles from their southern border and 90 miles from their northern border so that much of their signal goes into the wrong market--the Miami/Fort Lauderdale market. By doing this, these stations increase their listeners and can generate more advertising.

Problem 1: WXEL (PBS) from West Palm Beach broadcasts on digital channel 27. So does WRDQ in Orlando. I'm 61 miles from WXEL and 93 miles from WRDQ. In the early morning hours and evening hours, WRDQ's signals bounce into the atmosphere causing reception problems. Note: The FCC gave WRDQ three times the power of WXEL.

Problem 2: WXEL has a repeater signal 8 miles from my house. WTVJ in Miami is also broadcasting on Digital Channel 31 with 1,000,000 watts. While Miami signals are 103 miles away, the atmospheric bounce makes reception impossible on some evenings and mornings.

Problem 3: WPTV was only given 50,000 watts by the FCC and when they asked for more power, the FCC said no. Their signal is 61 miles away. When the wind blows, lightning occurs, there are constant dropouts. On many evenings and mornings, the station is not available because stations in Tampa are broadcasting on the same frequency. Tampa is 130 miles away. While this has never been a problem during the daytime, I only watch television in the early morning and evening.

Problem 4: WPEC only has a 1,000 foot tower and I'm 61 miles from the transmitter. The dropouts and pixilization problems during wind and thunderstorms are a big problem. There is also a station in Tampa on the same frequency which has caused problems many times with the early morning and evening reception.

Problem 5: WHDT is licensed to Stuart, Florida, just 22 miles away, but it appears that they have been given permission to put their transmitter in another television market. I have never picked up the station with an antenna, but DirecTV carries it.

Please note that my zip code was recently listed as the worst housing market in the United States. How many people have lost their homes because they can not afford the house payments? I'm back to spending $95.00 a month on satellite television. I've only seen two outside antennas in my neighborhood.

Antenna television doesn't work in the 34949 zip code.

James E. Wallace
222 Granada Street
Fort Pierce, FL 34949
post #8363 of 9289 Old 11-20-2009, 06:11 AM

We had many, many email exchanges in the past about your reception problems. I am sorry, that so far, we were not able to resolve it. We had no reception complaints from other viewers from the same or near-by locations. My latest correspondence to you was on 10/29/09. I didn't receive a response, instead you choose to write to others. Your latest email was forwarded to me again as always, for reply. As I mentioned it before, we are broadcasting with 100% authorized power from our 1350' tower at the intersection of State Road 7 and Lantana Road. Our field strength measurements at the various locations, including in Saint Lucie County consistently indicated sufficient reception signals and always at a considerably higher level than that of WPEC-TV. It seems, that with all those stations available at your location and with some of the signal levels extremely high, because of the transmitters being near-by and high powered, such as WPBF among others, the front-end of your system might be overloaded. The overload can affect various channels differently depending on the relationships of their frequencies. There might be problems with your antenna also, if it can pick up CH28 in Tampa and stations in Orlando (as you previously noted) way off from the main lobe of the antenna, when I assume, it is aimed at WPTV. Fog, humidity, rain, temperature, etc. can cause considerably different receptions on the different channels also.

For your information again, during one of our field tests, reception of our signal in Palm City at the Saint Lucie County line was excellent and much better than that of WPEC's. We used inexpensive rabbit ears, only four feet off the ground and there were obstacles such as trees and houses in the signal path. I am sorry, that I am unable to offer solutions to your problem at this time. It has to be unique to your particular location, equipment, system. You may contact me at your convenience if you wish.

John Falvi, B.S.E.E.
post #8364 of 9289 Old 11-20-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:

For your information again, during one of our field tests, reception of our signal in Palm City at the Saint Lucie County line was excellent and much better than that of WPEC's. We used inexpensive rabbit ears, only four feet off the ground and there were obstacles such as trees and houses in the signal path. I am sorry, that I am unable to offer solutions to your problem at this time. It has to be unique to your particular location, equipment, system. You may contact me at your convenience if you wish.

John Falvi, B.S.E.E.

Am I the only one having problems in St. Lucie and Indian River Counties?
post #8365 of 9289 Old 11-20-2009, 08:11 AM

Nope. I'm in Saint Lucie West and have never been able to get consistant signals from any stations other than 25 and 34. However, I've only got a set of rabbit ears mounted in the attic. The signals from the other WPB stations have been better since the digital switchover, but I still can't lock into a signal long enough for a full program. I just use D*'s channels.
post #8366 of 9289 Old 11-21-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Am I the only one having problems in St. Lucie and Indian River Counties?

Wow, I'd rather eat dirt than give the cable company (or satellite) 95 bucks a month (of course, if I had the cash to throw around, OTA wouldn't be my primary TV). I don't know what the problem there is either, but it's not WPTV. Their signal carries to 32960 (certainly not solid, but I'd say perfectly usable about 90% of the time if it's early or late). I have the same weird problem with WFLX, I only get it off a reflection from something I can't even see, my FOX is shakey a lot, even with the weak WOFL backup out of Orlando. My VHF-12 antenna is at the same height as yours, and it's a small one (half wave, but it's a tuned 5 element beam). I doubt moveing your mast would help much on ch-12, but I'm really wondering if the antenna may be the problem. Too bad you don't have access to some other high band VHF antenna you could compare with. I'm assuming you do have a drop amp. All the money I put into my setup (which wasn't much) has already paid for itself, and I only had the super basic cable.
post #8367 of 9289 Old 11-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

John Falvi, B.S.E.E.

Totally off subject but who puts their bachelor's degree as post-nominal letters after their name??

ManOfSnow, Pre-K, K, 1-8th, H.S.
post #8368 of 9289 Old 11-23-2009, 04:55 PM

I have counted one so far and it would be that guy.

Panth1, B.S.C.I.S.
post #8369 of 9289 Old 11-28-2009, 01:33 PM

John Falvi's a good guy...don't 'rag' on him so much.
If not for John's technical expertise, WPTV would be so much worse technically!

Ian
post #8370 of 9289 Old 12-01-2009, 08:38 AM

I'm in the Palm Beach Gardens area and wanted to know please what to expect in regard to charges from Comcast for a new Tivo HD? Right now I have 2 DVRs from Comcast and would like to return one and set up the Tivo as the second DVR.

Comcast told me that they do not have M cards so 2 cable cards are required. They said I would be charged twice for the HD service since it's 2 cards. This doesn't seem right. I'm hoping someone can tell me what are the only items/services that should be charged with the Tivo and what price if possible.

Thank you for your help.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page