West Palm Beach, FL - HDTV - Page 311 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #9301 of 9322 Old 11-13-2015, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I live in Vero Beach and it's almost impossible to get a good OTA signal from any of the West Palm Beach stations, and impossible to get the NBC affiliate in West Palm Beach. I won't pay for cable and, besides, the OTA signals produce a much better video quality on my Panasonic 8000 projector. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9302 of 9322 Old 11-13-2015, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
According to Signal Legends this is possible, so I ask the obvious, how high is your antenna?

Callsign Network Virtual Channel Band

Strong Signal WPBF ABC 25-1 UHF
Strong Signal WTVX MYTV 34-1 UHF
Moderate Signal WTCE TBN 21-1 UHF
Moderate Signal WOPX ION 56-1 UHF
Weak Signal WRDQ ABC 27-1 UHF
Weak Signal WFLX FOX 29-1 UHF
Weak Signal WFTV ABC 9-1 UHF
Weak Signal WKCF CW 18-1 UHF
Weak Signal WKMG CBS 6-1 UHF
Weak Signal WHDT IND 42-1 UHF
Weak Signal WPXP ION 67-1 UHF
Weak Signal WOTF TELEFUTURA 43-1 UHF
Weak Signal WXEL PBS 42-1 UHF
Weak Signal WPTV NBC 5-1 Hi-V
Weak Signal WRBW MYTV 65-1 UHF

This is my setup

40' Mount
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF

Boss Tech DAT-790 LR HD BOSS UHF Antenna - LTE Ready (149741) at 30' may solve some of your issues, due to its gain stage

Last edited by Palmgrower; 11-13-2015 at 02:04 PM.
post #9303 of 9322 Old 11-14-2015, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
why does Comcast in stuart broadcast ABC (431) in 1080i? ABC has always been 720p along with the channels they own, ESPN, Disney etc. Did I miss something?

post #9304 of 9322 Old 11-14-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Hearst cross-converts WPBF into 1080i.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9305 of 9322 Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Hobe Sound, Florida (about 20 miles north of Palm Beach)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody in Hobe Sound or (nearby) north using a Channel Master 4228HD mounted above their roofline outside and getting a solid lock on 12.1 and 5.1 (VHF 13 & 12), along with the rest of the WPB true UHF HD stations?

I have a highly directional antenna that I want to swap out for something that can get good locks from ALL of the local HDTV stations. My directional is on a rotor because it's too directional to lock all of them without some rotating (which is not so great in a DVR world). So I'm thinking CM4228HD since it claims to be wider angle in terms of reception. I'm wondering if I can mount it in place of what I have now, tweak rotations around to find the ideal angle for all channels and then pretty much just leave it at that angle. I'm hoping this would make all local OTA DVR-able without having to remember to optimize the angle of the OTA antenna ahead of each recording.

If someone in Hobe or north has one of these, outside, above their roof line, does it lock all of them well (especially the 2 VHF stations)?

I'm trying to avoid the giant VHF + UHF antenna options in considering this one. Alternatively, I'm thinking about using what I have now rotated to the best angle for the UHF locals and getting a one-channel VHF antenna (from Wade) aimed at the 12.1 and 5.1 tower in hopes that it can draw in both of them. I'm thinking 2 runs of RG6 down the pole and into the home, combining them into one cable inside the home. Anyone do that around here? Is 2 independent runs of RG6 all the way into the home (broken only at the ground block) better than merging them into one cable up on the pole? I would guess yes, but does anyone know (with confidence)?

Since I'm going to be going up there anyway, I'm thinking about also sticking a Brita FM-only loop antenna up there too with it's own run of RG6 down and into the home to connect to a dedicated FM radio antenna port on my receiver. Anybody got anything like that going in my general area? Did it make much difference for (better) locking in FM radio reception?

In a final stack, I'm thinking it's either CM4228HD on the rotor pole above this Brita, 2 runs of RG6 down to the grounding block and then into the home... OR existing UHF antenna on the rotor pole "as is," over a Wade fixed (directional) dedicated channel 12 or 13 VHF antenna mounted cantilever over the Brita FM loop, with 3 runs of RG6 down to the grounding block and then into the home, merging the UHF and VHF cable at the best point (inside the home or outside on the pole???).

I would much welcome comments about this. Anyone know if one of those Wade one-channel VHF antennas can also tune the immediate adjacent channel (as we need VHF 12 and 13 here in the WPB area). And if so, would buying the one cut for VHF13 be better for also tuning VHF12 or would buying the one cut for VHF12 be better for also tuning VHF13? OR, are one-channel antennas absolutely one channel so this option will not work for VHF 12+13? If anyone has one of these one-channel antenna's installed, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for the community expertise.

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; 11-30-2015 at 07:22 AM.
post #9306 of 9322 Old 12-11-2015, 05:27 AM

Question Xfinity X1 STB's - Stuart Area

What brand HD-DVR's and HD non-dvr "companion" boxes are being issued in the Stuart (Martin County) area for the X1 platform?
post #9307 of 9322 Old 02-11-2016, 07:49 AM

OTA in Vero Beach for PBS

I live in Vero Beach and have a DB8e UHF antenna mounted 25 feet above the ground with a clear view of 170-190 degrees, but I can not receive WXEL channel 44 from Ft. Pierce, which is only 12 miles away. I get WXEL channel 42 occasionally from West Palm and easily pick up WPBF channel 25, which is ABC in West Palm. My main interest is the PBS programming, but I have not found a way to reliably receive WXEL broadcasts. I sure would like some help.
post #9308 of 9322 Old 02-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Please call customer service for assistance. We have people here 7 days a week to help.

877-825-5572
Customer Sales and Service hours are from 9-9 Central weekdays and 10-6 Central weekends

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #9309 of 9322 Old 02-15-2016, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 1734
Merged with existing area thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9310 of 9322 Old 03-03-2016, 08:12 AM

The folks at Antenna Direct have been very helpful. I now get the signals I want except during hot, humid weather. I recommend dealing with Antenna Direct.
post #9311 of 9322 Old 12-15-2016, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Port St. Lucie, FL OTA Antenna Help

I’m in Port St. Lucie, FL. ZIP 34983

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfaf0e584ea052

I’d like to get the major networks (real channels 12, 13, 16, 27 and 28) OTA. Fortunately they all come from West Palm Beach (170-172 deg and 188 deg), but I’m about 53 miles from 12 and 13. My neighbors have a large slash pine probably 50 feet directly south of me, but I’m not sure how much that will affect my signal. I think I can get around/under it.

In a perfect world, I’d like to keep the antenna(s) in the attic so it would be protected from a hurricane and to minimize the cable run. By eyeballin’ it, it looks like the peak of my attic is around 17 feet above the foundation of the house. I have a hip roof made of plywood and architectural shingles. Am I totally wasting my time to try to get a reliable signal with an attic mounted antenna(s)?

My second option is an old Dish J-mount mounted on the roof near the eve on the south east side of the house. If I were to just mount an antenna to the Dish pole, it would be about 11 feet above the house foundation. The mount has a pair of braces, so it shouldn’t be much trouble to stick an 8 foot extension in it to get more height.

I was originally looking at a Channel Master CM-4228HD, but I’m not sure it will have the VHF gain I need. So then I started thinking that maybe two antennas would be better for me. Either a Clearstream 5 or a Stellar Labs 30-2476 for the Hi-VHF and a bowtie or 91XG to complement it. My third option is something like a big Winegard HD7698P or Channel Master CM-5020 to cover both Hi-VHF and UHF.

Should I even bother trying to get an attic mounted antenna to work?
What antenna(s) should I try first?
What about an amp and/or combiner?

I've attached a green line diagram for the location where the dish is mounted. The roof's highest peak is the peak that runs northwest to southeast.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna green lines.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	1831105  

Last edited by DrDon; 12-15-2016 at 07:22 AM.
post #9312 of 9322 Old 12-15-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Looks like you've done a pretty thorough job analyzing your situation and options.

I don't think an attic antenna is going to do it on high VHF. The CM-4228 is not going to work on VHF for you. Sometimes it's good enough with strong signals but your VHF stations are not that strong and are 1 or 2 edge paths. I'd go with the Stellar Labs.

Check your FM Fool report to see if there are any very strong FM stations at half the channel 12 and 13 frequencies to see if an FM filter is necessary.

You have 3 extremely strong UHF stations that will likely overload a preamp or your TV. I would leave the preamp out.

I don't know if the J pole with an extension will be strong enough to hold the antennas in extreme winds. It may need to be guyed.

For UHF the CM-4228 or the 91XG are fine. The UHF stations are not that weak and are LOS except for one that is 1 edge.

NCM sells a VHF/UHF Combiner.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2230-/33-2230

I wouldn't worry too much about the coax length if it's under 100'. Shooting under the tree might be a good idea, certainly better than through it. Your image makes it look like you can just skirt the tree though.
post #9313 of 9322 Old 12-15-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's another possibility for mounting separate VHF and UHF antennas. I think the VHF antenna needs to be outdoors with the weaker stations and not LOS path. The UHF antenna might work in the attic since the signals are stronger. No guarantees. As long as the coax run to each antenna is no longer than mounting them in the same place you can put the VHF/UHF combiner anywhere. This would reduce the wind load on your J pole mount. OTOH, maybe the braces are strong enough so it doesn't matter.
post #9314 of 9322 Old 12-15-2016, 02:17 PM

I considered mounting the VHF outdoors and the UHF in the attic, as this would keep the antennas separate and also allow me to take the outdoor VHF antenna down and still have the UHF antenna available to use during a hurricane.

Is there any issue in combining a VHF antenna with a VHF/UHF antenna like the CM-4228HD?
post #9315 of 9322 Old 12-15-2016, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showhipped View Post
I considered mounting the VHF outdoors and the UHF in the attic, as this would keep the antennas separate and also allow me to take the outdoor VHF antenna down and still have the UHF antenna available to use during a hurricane.

Is there any issue in combining a VHF antenna with a VHF/UHF antenna like the CM-4228HD?

The answer is no. The CM-4228 is not a VHF antenna. It's just not quite as bad on the upper end of high VHF as some other antennas.
post #9316 of 9322 Old 12-16-2016, 01:26 PM

Here's a shot of my FM Fool report. I have a 102.3, 103.1 and 104.5, but I'm sure if those will give me issues.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	housefm.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	1834785  
post #9317 of 9322 Old 12-16-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WFLM is pretty strong and its 2nd harmonic falls in channel 12. Try it with no filter first. Since you're not using a preamp chances are it'll be okay. If not then consider trying a filter.
post #9318 of 9322 Old 12-17-2016, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm a bit closer to the WPB transmitters than you are but my experience might be valuable. I have a 4228 HD coupled with a 5 element channel 13 Yagi in my attic both pointed South. All channels are pretty reliable. In my case the 4228 HD alone does work for VHF most of the time, but the Yagi helps. I have a tile roof.

I found that experimenting with antenna placement in addition to direction can make a big difference.

Mastermoto
post #9319 of 9322 Old 12-18-2016, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 1734
Moved to WPB thread. Redirect left in Technical

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9320 of 9322 Old Today, 12:04 PM

Just an update, I went with a Stellar Labs 30-2476 VHF antenna mounted on my old dish mount (aimed at about 171 deg mag) and a Channel Master 4228HD hanging in the attic (also aimed at about 172) and get everything I want. The weakest major network (real channel 12 or 13, I don't remember) is at about 76% signal strength. The other major networks are in the 85-100% range.

Thanks everyone for the help!
post #9321 of 9322 Old Today, 12:19 PM

And now to help a coworker in Jupiter ZIP 33458:

All of his desired channels (major networks) are in green. He has UHF channels at 311 and 196 deg, and two VHF channels at 192 deg. He currently has a dish mounted on the south wall of his house (not very high) and the south side of the house is a gable end, however the neighbor's house is relatively close. He's willing to mount an antenna on the old dish mount, but doesn't think the HOA would allow much more than that. The attic isn't huge, but it sounds like there's room for a medium bay antenna pointed out the south gable end.

With the strong signal strengths, there must be a single antenna that can get him all of the major networks and doesn't have to be stuck way up in the air. Any ideas? Channel Master 4221HD?
post #9322 of 9322 Old Today, 12:20 PM

Quote:
And now to help a coworker in Jupiter ZIP 33458:

All of his desired channels (major networks) are in green. He has UHF channels at 311 and 196 deg, and two VHF channels at 192 deg. He currently has a dish mounted on the south wall of his house (not very high) and the south side of the house is a gable end, however the neighbor's house is relatively close. He's willing to mount an antenna on the old dish mount, but doesn't think the HOA would allow much more than that. The attic isn't huge, but it sounds like there's room for a medium bay antenna pointed out the south gable end.

With the strong signal strengths, there must be a single antenna that can get him all of the major networks and doesn't have to be stuck way up in the air. Any ideas? Channel Master 4221HD?
Now that I have 5 posts, here's the TVFool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a46cbccb9b80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page