West Palm Beach, FL - HDTV - Page 311 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #9301 of 9305 Old 11-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I live in Vero Beach and it's almost impossible to get a good OTA signal from any of the West Palm Beach stations, and impossible to get the NBC affiliate in West Palm Beach. I won't pay for cable and, besides, the OTA signals produce a much better video quality on my Panasonic 8000 projector. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
post #9302 of 9305 Old 11-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to Signal Legends this is possible, so I ask the obvious, how high is your antenna?

Callsign Network Virtual Channel Band

Strong Signal WPBF ABC 25-1 UHF
Strong Signal WTVX MYTV 34-1 UHF
Moderate Signal WTCE TBN 21-1 UHF
Moderate Signal WOPX ION 56-1 UHF
Weak Signal WRDQ ABC 27-1 UHF
Weak Signal WFLX FOX 29-1 UHF
Weak Signal WFTV ABC 9-1 UHF
Weak Signal WKCF CW 18-1 UHF
Weak Signal WKMG CBS 6-1 UHF
Weak Signal WHDT IND 42-1 UHF
Weak Signal WPXP ION 67-1 UHF
Weak Signal WXEL PBS 42-1 UHF
Weak Signal WPTV NBC 5-1 Hi-V
Weak Signal WRBW MYTV 65-1 UHF

This is my setup

40' Mount
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF

Boss Tech DAT-790 LR HD BOSS UHF Antenna - LTE Ready (149741) at 30' may solve some of your issues, due to its gain stage

Last edited by Palmgrower; 11-13-2015 at 02:04 PM.
post #9303 of 9305 Old 11-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
why does Comcast in stuart broadcast ABC (431) in 1080i? ABC has always been 720p along with the channels they own, ESPN, Disney etc. Did I miss something?
post #9304 of 9305 Old 11-14-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Hearst cross-converts WPBF into 1080i.

- Trip

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9305 of 9305 Old Today, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member
Location: Hobe Sound, Florida (about 20 miles north of Palm Beach)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody in Hobe Sound or (nearby) north using a Channel Master 4228HD mounted above their roofline outside and getting a solid lock on 12.1 and 5.1 (VHF 13 & 12), along with the rest of the WPB true UHF HD stations?

I have a highly directional antenna that I want to swap out for something that can get good locks from all of the local HDTV stations. My directional is on a rotor because it's too directional to lock all of them without some rotating. So I'm thinking CM4228HD since it claims to be wider angle in terms of reception. I'm wondering if I can mount it in place of what I have now, rotate around to find the ideal angle for all channels and then pretty much just leave it at that angle.

If someone in Hobe or north has one of these, outside, above their roof line, does it lock all of them well (especially the 2 VHF stations)?

I'm trying to avoid the giant VHF + UHF options in looking at this one. Alternatively, I'm thinking about using what I have now rotated to the best angle for the UHF locals and getting a one-channel VHF antenna (from Wade) aimed at the 12.1 and 5.1 tower in hopes that it can draw in both of them. I'm thinking 2 runs of RG6 down the pole and into the home, combining them into one cable inside the home. Anyone do that around here? Is 2 independent runs of RG6 all the way into the home (broken only at the ground block) better than merging them into one cable up on the pole? I would guess yes, but does anyone know?

Since I'm going to be going up there anyway, I'm thinking about also sticking a Brita FM loop only antenna up there too with it's own run of RG6 down and into the home to connect to a dedicated FM antenna port on my receiver. Anybody got anything like that going in my general area. Did it make much difference for (better) locking in FM radio reception.

In a final stack, I'm thinking it's either CM4228HD on the rotor pole above this Brita, 2 runs of RG6 down to the grounding block and then into the home... OR existing UHF antenna on the rotor pole "as is", over a Wade fixed, dedicated channel 12 or 13 VHF antenna mounted cantilever over the Brita FM look and 3 runs of RG6 down to the grounding block and then into the home, merging the UHF and VHF cable at the best point (inside the home or outside on the pole???).

I would much welcome comments about this. Anyone know if one of those Wade one-channel VHF antenna can also tune the immediate adjacent channel (as we need VHF 12 and 13). And if so, would buying the one cut for VHF13 be better for also tuning VHF12 or would buying the one cut for VHF12 be better for also tuning VHF13? If anyone at all has one of these one-channel antenna's installed, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for the community expertise.
Sponsored Links
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page