Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
aviators99
I ASSUMED
Which is based on heresay, not fact.
Anyway, some of the last games, I think, was in FOX widescreen, but 7-1 did not transmit in widescreeen.
So, I guessed that if the last games were in widescreen, that (again I am assuming that FOX has the NFL again this year) that it will be done this year.
Now, that I am thinking about it, you may be correct. Maybe only 1 or more big games will be.

But, the good news is that we (So. Fla.) can now get widescreen.

As others stated, not only is it in widescreen, but the picture looks better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9289 Old 04-21-2002, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by George33027
aviators99
I ASSUMED
Which is based on heresay, not fact.
Anyway, some of the last games, I think, was in FOX widescreen, but 7-1 did not transmit in widescreeen.
So, I guessed that if the last games were in widescreen, that (again I am assuming that FOX has the NFL again this year) that it will be done this year.
Now, that I am thinking about it, you may be correct. Maybe only 1 or more big games will be.

But, the good news is that we (So. Fla.) can now get widescreen.

As others stated, not only is it in widescreen, but the picture looks better.

Nope...only the Super Bowl was in widescreen.
post #183 of 9289 Old 04-23-2002, 12:54 PM

I dont know if this has been discussed but is anyone having a prob with sides being cut off. My overscan is set to 4% and half of the FOX logo is cut off the side bars on 4x3 material.. Anyone else???
post #184 of 9289 Old 04-23-2002, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HTnut
I dont know if this has been discussed but is anyone having a prob with sides being cut off. My overscan is set to 4% and half of the FOX logo is cut off the side bars on 4x3 material.. Anyone else???

I think is a problem, bcus I have the same issue ..

ÂNothing attempted, nothing achievedÂ
post #185 of 9289 Old 04-23-2002, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hardrock
WFLX's picture quality is top notch; and, I continue to ponder why viewers in other cities give FOX such low marks.

Many Fox DTV affiliates are transmitting the Fox 480p signal in its native format, but some upconvert to 720p or 1080i using professional format converters whose performance is considerably better than what can currently be built into HDTV receivers at consumer price levels.

WFLX-DT uses the Divicom encoder:

http://www.harmonicinc.com/stageone/...5F032002%2Epdf

HDNut said:

"I dont know if this has been discussed but is anyone having a prob with sides being cut off. My overscan is set to 4% and half of the FOX logo is cut off the side bars on 4x3 material.. Anyone else???"

I calibrated my Zenith IQB64W10W HDTV for minimal overscan (a little as possible before horizontal and vertical blanking become visible under any conditions) and the logo doesn't get chopped off. It's possible that Fox is shoving it down and to the right more than they should be (though probably not far enough for my choosing!

Tony said:

"Did WFLX just increase their power?? Last night I noticed that I could get a great signal from them with my antenna pointed toward Miami. Previously I have had to rotate my antenna for best results from them. "

Your improved conditions may be temporary (but recurring) due to lower atmospheric inversions, wherein air particles which help conduct signals bunch-up densely at just the right altitude to help the signal get to your location. Similar situations can cause the signal to get worse, too.

Satpro's good reception from 120 miles away is more likely due to tropospheric ducting. Here is a good website that forecasts troposhpheric ducting conditions as they pertain to the VHF and UHF bands:

http://www.iprimus.ca/~hepburnw/tropo.html

If you look at the forecasts for the Florida peninsula for the next three days, including today, things will start to settle down a bit, meaning Satpro's signal levels from WFLX-DT may degrade a bit relative to his most recently posted results.

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #186 of 9289 Old 04-23-2002, 08:09 PM

OK well i went ahead and adjusated my overscan a wee bit more. The lower right Fox bug is there in full..The FOX DIGITAL bug in the top left is way off to the left.. MIssing almost the whole FO and DI..Anyone else with this much croppage??
post #187 of 9289 Old 04-23-2002, 08:38 PM

Satpro, what exactly are you using for your antenna?? That range is AWESOME!
post #188 of 9289 Old 04-24-2002, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK well i went ahead and adjusated my overscan a wee bit more. The lower right Fox bug is there in full..The FOX DIGITAL bug in the top left is way off to the left.. MIssing almost the whole FO and DI..Anyone else with this much croppage??

Yes, I just saw WFLX-DT's new (and highly annoying) upper-left bug.
All I see on my carefully calibrated set is this:

OX29
F L X
igital

And they don't just use it during 4:3 programming, which would be agravating enough (WPLG-DT used to do this and finally stopped) it also covers-up the 16:9 Fox widescreen programming! It definitely has an adverse effect on my decisions on whether or not I want to watch a Fox show or some other channel without that garish bug. If this ends up driving viewers away then a fat lot of good it did them to put it up in the first place. There out to be a law...

Satpro,

I haven't tried DXing any Orlando DTVs from here yet. Tampa is out of the question for me, probably, due to a gigantic and highly-absoptive ficus tree due west of my antennas, just feet away.

HiDefDave

post #189 of 9289 Old 04-24-2002, 07:06 AM

Dave,
I bought an indoor antenna at radio shack and I was able to get
WFLX-DT's signal strength between 75 and 92 on dish 6000. Though Seinfield show looked a little blurry the other programs looked fine on
Panasonic RPTV. But I still get the chopped Fox logo on top left in 4:3
format.
post #190 of 9289 Old 04-24-2002, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Dave,

You should call their chief engineer and explain to him just how counterproductive their logo is (as well as their use of black sidebars instead of gray ones on 4:3 material). Maybe they'll listen to another professional.

Rudy
post #191 of 9289 Old 04-24-2002, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

I watched 24 last night on WFLX and I got the same as you Dave.
The logo was in the exact position as you stated.
Could they be over scanning?

The picture as good, like a DVD.

Flipped to 7-1, and it is day and night over it.
The program has to be made for widescreen to be good.
Just like the Hi Def stuff.
post #192 of 9289 Old 04-24-2002, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They're violating the safe title area with the new upper-left bug. I expect they'll fix it. Just wish they'd tone it down, making it smaller and remove it alltogether during 16:9 widescreen programming.

HiDefDave

post #193 of 9289 Old 04-24-2002, 05:59 PM

OK..so its not me.. I feel better now. That bug is seriously bright too..Hope they get rid of it or i wont be watching for long.. I was however able to get the bug on the lower right into the screen area by reducing my overscan to about 3% or so
post #194 of 9289 Old 04-24-2002, 07:10 PM

Hmmm. i dont see the bug tonight
post #195 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 06:00 AM

Another question. I am now receiving WFLX at 100 strength and im just barely getting a signal on 22 and 18 from down south. The signal barely locks and reads anywhere from 3-10 on the meter. Would raising my antenna another 3-5ft make the difference i might need to get a lock on these far channles? Thats about all i have left that i can raise it. Its the Channel Master 3020. Thanx for any input. I just dont wanna go to the trouble of taking down the mast if its not gonna help at all..
post #196 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 06:02 AM

Sorry for the off track post, hardware question:

I am seeing something strange with my setup. Every day or two, the "low" channels (2,3,4,5,6) of my Adelphia Cable start looking terrible. To fix it I just have to unplug the cable from the cable->VCR->HDTV stack and then reattach the cable, and all is fine.

Last night I pulled the cable->vcr at the bedroom vcr instead of the livingroom vcr (cable->vcr->HDTV) stack and it also did the job.

I noticed a very interesting thing last night. I had the set tuned to channel 5 which was showing FoxNews with a strong "Channel 5 analog OTA TV" ghost. After unscrewing the shield of the connector, and starting to pull the cable out of the vcr, the "Channel 5 TV" image became crystal clear. When I pulled the cable out the rest of the way, the set lost all signal. Reinserting the cable's center conductor only brought back the channel 5 analog OTA image very sharp. Reconnecting the cable shield brought back FoxNews without the ghosting.

There is one "bad practice" thing about my setup that I can identify immediately. I have an antenna mounted in the attic which has no grounding block in the signal path to the HDTV receiver. (The VHF-Low signal is routed to a "dummy-load/cable termination" but this filter is not grounded either - except by the shield connection to the HDTV receiver chassis. Perhaps that chassis is floating; I haven't checked that.)

I'm going to grab a grounding block tonight to see if that solves the problem. Any ideas of what to look for, in case it doesn't?

Alan
post #197 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 06:12 AM

Quote:

Another question. ...signal barely locks...Would raising my antenna ... make the difference ...

My guess is that you need the "VHF-Lo" filter that Dave suggested for me. I was seeing marginal PBS reception when I had the antenna deep inside my house, that got worse when I moved the antenna higher - into the attic. Adding the 3-band-splitter->combiner (and VHF-Low terminated) did the trick and now all channels are great.
post #198 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HTNut,

Do you have your antenna on a rotator so that you can change the direction of the antenna to receive stations optimally from all directions?

Re: antenna height, increasing the height and even elevating the front of the antenna by a few degrees relative to the rear will often help distant reception. But in some instances decreasing the antenna height by a foot of so can help reception on a particular channel due to certain conditions.

The high-band VHF/UHF pas filter that I recommended for Pogo will only improve reception on the high-band VHF DTV stations on 8 & 9 if you are getting interference from the WPTV analog signal on channel 5. It should not affect your UHF reception either way.

Pogo (Alan),

You should really make sure you antenna coax if grounded using a grounding terminal block. This can prevent static from developing on the antenna coax.

As far as the weird cable stuff, cable systems often have some low-frequency AC on them which can be attenuated with a high-pass filter like the one Radio Shack sells to eliminate CB interference into television. You might try one out. Since it contains a transformer, it mechanically decouples the cable system coax from your gear while still passing the signal inductively. This might possibly get around a ground loop situation if that's the culprit.

Another possibilty is that the cable system itself has a poor grounding system. That can cause system "leakage," which can result in the cable system signal "radiating" over-the-air into nearby antennas, as well as over-the-air broadcast signals getting into the cable system, interfering with cable signals. Cable systems are supposed to keep leakage to a certain legal maximum level to prevent this, so the problem may be on their end.

HiDefDave

post #199 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm. i dont see the bug tonight

Word on the street is they pulled it by popular demand. They were getting quite a few complaints about it.

This may represent some kind of watershed event for DTV...when a station changes something about their DTV operation "due to popular demand." How many viewers could there be in a market whose only DTV station has only been on the air for two weeks?

HiDefDave

post #200 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 08:41 AM

Hi All!

I saw a mention in the Palm Beach Post online yesterday that FOX 29 will be testing digital broadcast next week.

I'm waiting on delivery of a Tosh DST 3000, and hope to have it in time to check out the test.

James from Stuart
post #201 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They're already on the air with regular programming daily from noon to midnight (until there are more viewers.)

They upconvert their regular programming sources from 480i to 1080i. The really good news is that they take Fox's widescreen feed for prime time programming that's available in that format (which WSVN-DT in Miami doesn't.)

HiDefDave

post #202 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm picking up a sporadic signal from WPBF-DT Channel 16 (up to 59% - but no picture or sound). Can anyone closer to their antenna confirm this?

USA
post #203 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 10:52 AM

I'm getting WPBF-DT (16) right now. No sound, but a few minutes ago they were sending color bars. Signal looked good (about 75% Dish 6000) with my antenna pointed toward Miami.
Tony
post #204 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Searching now...nothing at the moment.

HiDefDave

post #205 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just left voicemail with WPBF's C. E., Cliff Thomas, asking for a return call on when we might see them testing again.

HiDefDave

post #206 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Satpro,

If you live in the Orlando/Daytona Beach ADI I think you're SOL. As long as that translator doesn't interfere with WPBF-DT within the West Palm Beach/Ft. Pierce/Boca Raton ADI it may well stay where it is. Finding an empty channel to move the NTSC translator to might not be hard but don't count on Hearst/Argyle going to the trouble and expense.

How's your reception for ABC DTV from Orlando?

HiDefDave

post #207 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Satpro,

The FCC website says that they applied to move the translator to 13. The bad news is that's our DTV assignment here at WPEC.

But Cliff Thomas just told me he thinks Hearst/Argyle's plan is to just turn-off the translator. It's really primarily for getting the signal into cable head-ends in your area anyway so they might just give the head-ends DTV receivers so they can get the Orlando OTA DTV signal and downconvert it.

Cliff said he'd try to get the "official" plan from the company...and then get the "real" plan and get back to me.

WPBF-DT will be testing again tomorrow on 16-1 and then start running some 4:3/480i programming upconverted to 720p for a while. He's waiting on the 5.1 audio gear (hopefully in tomorrow) and also waiting for HD pass-through gear. Ultimately they'll be passing ABC-HD in their native 720p format.

HiDefDave

post #208 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 03:10 PM

David, any word on WPEC? Still looking good for May or June??
post #209 of 9289 Old 04-25-2002, 06:02 PM

My channel 29-01 on the Toshiba DST3000 is identical to the analog channel right now. Anyone else having this prob as of now? The banner says WFLXDT but it clearly looks to be analog. The meter for the channel 29-01 is at 100...What gives now..ughhh
post #210 of 9289 Old 04-26-2002, 08:38 AM

Nobody?????
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page