Charlotte NC AT&T U-Verse - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 95 Old 12-01-2013, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes I noticed they charge $10 a month for HD, do they also charge for the DVR every month like TW does? It's a game, they try to get as much of our money as they can while we try to get their service as cheaply as possible!

The reason why I said I'm happy with Time Warner for the most part is the install is less than stellar. They did it late in the day and just wanted to get home for the night I guess. They installed a phone junction box outside that does nothing. They have 3 short cables that go under the house but are not long enough to go anywhere. They installed an inside phone jack where they modem is and it feeds the other jacks in the house. My phone wires in the house are a bit buggy and need to be redone so I'll fix it all myself when I feel like crawling around under the house. Anyone know where I can get a telephone punch down tool? Might as well use the TW dummy phone box they installed. It's a small house so we have been getting by with just a cordless phone hooked to the back of the modem. Sometimes I wonder why I have a land line at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 Old 08-15-2016, 09:39 PM

Here we are 3 years later

Well here we are 3 years later and I'm planning on ditching TWC for AT&T U-Verse. It will mean going down in speed to what I had before TWC did the speed increase, which was okay. It will be about $10 a month cheaper for 2 years with more channels. How well does U-Verse work over copper? I'm about .6 miles away from the box so I don't know if I'm on the edge for U-Verse TV.

I notice AT&T is pushing people toward Directv and I don't want to go that route. Satellite TV was a novelty in the '90's but seems way out of date to me now. I didn't like the pixelation from video compression and the rain fade.

Anyone out there with an opinion before I take the plunge?
post #93 of 95 Old 08-16-2016, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post
Well here we are 3 years later and I'm planning on ditching TWC for AT&T U-Verse. It will mean going down in speed to what I had before TWC did the speed increase, which was okay. It will be about $10 a month cheaper for 2 years with more channels. How well does U-Verse work over copper? I'm about .6 miles away from the box so I don't know if I'm on the edge for U-Verse TV.

I notice AT&T is pushing people toward Directv and I don't want to go that route. Satellite TV was a novelty in the '90's but seems way out of date to me now. I didn't like the pixelation from video compression and the rain fade.

Anyone out there with an opinion before I take the plunge?
I'd say your impression of satellite is about as dated as your post here..
I have Directv, and since they switched to MPEG4 seldom see and compression artifacts and I have a trained eye watching on a 65" plasma. And I seldom see rain fade. It's still the best choice in my opinion.
U-verse for telco/internet is fine, and the 15 mb/s down is fine for me..I'm too far away from the V-rad for video..It's their service and support that needs work based on my experience with two outages in the last year. The left hand CSr's are unaware of what the right hand of repairs/upgrading is doing there. Every time I call they want to replace the modem.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #94 of 95 Old 08-16-2016, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
AT&T Fiber

As I said in another thread, AT&T is installing fiber in my neighborhood off Carmel Rd. I'm guessing they will be rolling out Directv streaming later this year according to info I have seen. I also have seen info saying no further Uverse development in the works. Not to pile on, but I agree Directv is the best right now. I switched from TWC about 3 years ago. Also I have 50/5 internet from TWC for $39/mo total price. Not bad.
post #95 of 95 Old 08-17-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstang View Post
As I said in another thread, AT&T is installing fiber in my neighborhood off Carmel Rd. I'm guessing they will be rolling out Directv streaming later this year according to info I have seen. I also have seen info saying no further Uverse development in the works. Not to pile on, but I agree Directv is the best right now. I switched from TWC about 3 years ago. Also I have 50/5 internet from TWC for $39/mo total price. Not bad.
Decided to wait for Gigapower or Google Fiber. Plan to switch cancelled. Might be a long wait!

Some things I didn't like about AT&T, hard to reach sometimes. If I really need to, it's nice to go to the TWC store and talk to someone in person. Cable is all they do, no cell phones and no DirecTV. The AT&T store I visited only had cell phones and a small DirecTV display. I will say the AT&T people were always professional and always nice.

I looked up my account at MyATT.com and found conflicting information from what I had agreed upon. Customer service person told me to ignore it and the deal I made was the real deal. I just didn't want to chance it. She said I don't know why they are still doing that. If you're going to lock me into a 1 year agreement better fix it.

Saw that I was only saving about $10 a month. Not enough to risk possible headaches with 18mbps service down from 50-60mbps.

What I don't understand is AT&T already has FTTN so they only need to install fiber to that last mile in many cases. They could beat Google Fiber by months or years. What's the hold up? I know it costs money but they must have deeper pockets than Google.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page