Charlotte NC AT&T U-Verse - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 91 Old 11-24-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Let's use this thread for Charlotte area U-Verse posts.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 11-24-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am attempting to get U-Verse installed at my home. I will keep you updated.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #3 of 91 Old 11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Oh, it would be so nice to have an alternative to TWC here in Charlotte. I just checked the website and it says it's not available in my area at this time...
post #4 of 91 Old 11-24-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I just checked the website and it says it's not available in my area at this time...

Same for me, my contact says it will say that at this time.

Bob

post #5 of 91 Old 11-24-2008, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I live in the Sedgefield neighborhood right beside an ATT tower... Still I can't get UVerse....
post #6 of 91 Old 11-24-2008, 06:29 PM

Liked: 10
Live in Dilworth near the new Lowe's and it says it's available for my condo.
post #7 of 91 Old 11-25-2008, 08:21 AM

South of the border is left out again
Thank goodness for DirecTV.
post #8 of 91 Old 11-25-2008, 09:24 AM

Hmm, I was without HD for over a week with Dish because it took them forever to realize the switch was bad. A few days later, we find out that U-Verse is being offered in Charlotte now! It may have been a sign, lol...
post #9 of 91 Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 AM

It's available in my area without phone service though. Priced out what I was looking for TV wise and added the 10MB Internet....price was more than I was willing to spend. Anyone know of any deals coming up?
post #10 of 91 Old 11-30-2008, 02:52 PM

Can someone tell me how the UVerse DVR compares to the SA8300HDC? I know about the total home DVR, but how does it compare with TWC's features? Is there a delay in changing channels or navigating the program guide?
post #11 of 91 Old 12-01-2008, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cratch View Post

Can someone tell me how the UVerse DVR compares to the SA8300HDC? I know about the total home DVR, but how does it compare with TWC's features? Is there a delay in changing channels or navigating the program guide?

I need to know if the U-verse DVR has component video out available?
post #12 of 91 Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstang View Post

I need to know if the U-verse DVR has component video out available?

Yes, the one I saw had composite,s-video,component,and hdmi...also for spdif out there was coxial, and toslink..Hope this helps.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #13 of 91 Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Yes, the one I saw had composite,s-video,component,and hdmi...also for spdif out there was coxial, and toslink..Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I use an HP projector that has no hdmi inputs, component only for HDTV.....
post #14 of 91 Old 12-03-2008, 06:05 AM

I don't know if this is off topic but how is UVerse's top internet speeds compared to TWC business class RR?
post #15 of 91 Old 12-03-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know if this is off topic but how is UVerse's top internet speeds compared to TWC business class RR?

I don't know what Uverse offer's for internet speeds, but business class offer's up to OC-192 connection's via fiber.

post #16 of 91 Old 12-14-2008, 06:26 AM

This past Friday, my aunt had at&t come out and install U-Verse in her condo (28210 zipcode). Initially, they put in the U100 box but since she wanted the DVR function, they are coming out to install the U200 box. The U100 box is very small, maybe the size of a book, and looks cute. One thing I noticed is when you hit guide, and if there is a blank box or no video clip showing in the bottom left of your screen, it means you cannot watch that channel. Shouldn't have too much concern if using the U200 or higher boxes.

The router/modem for the Internet is quite large. I'd say the size of the current Timewarner DVR box. You can stand it up vertically using a stand (ala PS3) or lay it horizontally as well. When I checked the speed of her Internet using Speedtest.net, she was getting 3mbps download & 1mbps upload which is pretty good for the basic service. More than enough for her and the pages loaded almost instantaneous.
post #17 of 91 Old 12-14-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crea78 View Post

This past Friday, my aunt had at&t come out and install U-Verse in her condo (28210 zipcode). Initially, they put in the U100 box but since she wanted the DVR function, they are coming out to install the U200 box. The U100 box is very small, maybe the size of a book, and looks cute. One thing I noticed is when you hit guide, and if there is a blank box or no video clip showing in the bottom left of your screen, it means you cannot watch that channel. Shouldn't have too much concern if using the U200 or higher boxes.

The router/modem for the Internet is quite large. I'd say the size of the current Timewarner DVR box. You can stand it up vertically using a stand (ala PS3) or lay it horizontally as well. When I checked the speed of her Internet using Speedtest.net, she was getting 3mbps download & 1mbps upload which is pretty good for the basic service. More than enough for her and the pages loaded almost instantaneous.

Good to know that U-Verse has started coming to the 28210 (my) zip code. Can't hardly wait 'till they come to my neck of the zip code!.
post #18 of 91 Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckf1 View Post

Good to know that U-Verse has started coming to the 28210 (my) zip code. Can't hardly wait 'till they come to my neck of the zip code!.

I live no more than 1 mile from my aunt and I still cannot get it in my neighborhood. She lives within a few hundred yards of Quail Corners shopping center -- central hub for that area. Check every Wednesday to see if you can get it on at&ts website. They will also send out a letter to your house when it will be available.
post #19 of 91 Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crea78 View Post

I live no more than 1 mile from my aunt and I still cannot get it in my neighborhood. She lives within a few hundred yards of Quail Corners shopping center -- central hub for that area. Check every Wednesday to see if you can get it on at&ts website. They will also send out a letter to your house when it will be available.

Thanks for the heads-up. I also live about a mile away from your aunt, on the other side of S. Meck H.S. Hopefully we'll both be able to get U-Verse sooner rather than later.
post #20 of 91 Old 12-15-2008, 11:02 AM

I live off of Park Rd and Marsh Rd in Sedgefield and no luck! Come on ATT!
post #21 of 91 Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

I don't know what Uverse offer's for internet speeds, but business class offer's up to OC-192 connection's via fiber.

OC-192 .... what does that mean?
post #22 of 91 Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OC-192 .... what does that mean?

OC-192 is a network line with transmission speeds of up to 9953.28 Mbit/s (payload: 9621.504 Mbit/s; overhead: 331.776 Mbit/s).

Google is your friend...

Bob

post #23 of 91 Old 12-15-2008, 12:33 PM

So I assume that is faster than UVerse's top internet package?
post #24 of 91 Old 12-15-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I assume that is faster than UVerse's top internet package?

By over 100x times faster...

post #25 of 91 Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 PM

I got Uverse in Pineville out near Ballantyne last Thursday. It really rocks!

The installation was first class. I ordered it on the WEB on Tuesday and I was able to schedule it for 8am to 10am on Thursday. I received a call from the installer at about 8:30am to tell me he might be delayed a bit since he was stuck in traffic. He arrived about 15 minutes later.

The install went smoothly. He was able to use the coax that was already in place. They have a small adaptor that allows connecting the 2 wire telco line directly to the coax.

This provides the signal to the Gateway box. From the Gateway the signal can use the same coax or Ethernet to the actual STB's. Since he located the gateway at one of my TV's, he used Ethernet to that STB and coax to the others.

He connected my PC via a USB 802.11G adaptor that he supplied. The Gateway has a WiFi router inside. I later connected my home network directly to one of the 4 Ethernet ports on the Gateway via an external switch. I could no longer use my existing WiFi router since the Gateway is the router. All 3 PC's work fine.

During the install, they discovered that there was an issue with the signal level. TV seemed to work fine but the Internet connection was a bit slow. Maybe 1.5 Mbs rather than something close to the 6Mbs I had signed up for. They were able to tell that there was a wiring issue at the curb that needed to be fixed. About 2 hours later there was a back-hoe out front digging up the cable. A cable repair guy spent about the next 4 hours pulling the underground splice all apart and re-doing it. I was absolutely floored that they did this so quickly. After this fix, I now get better than 6Mbs down load speeds.

Another thing that astounded me was that the installation tech left me his business card with his direct phone number when he left. He asked me to call him directly if there were any issues.

The installation tech had already left when the back-hoe showed up. Obviously when they had to pull the wiring all apart to fix the problem, the system went down. About 15 minutes after it went down, I received a call from the Tech confirming that the system had gone down due to the repair operation. He had apparently received an email when the system went down. Again, very professional.

First impressions:

SD quality is great. Most SD channels look like DVD quality.

HD quality is acceptable but I am not sure that the resolution is as good as with TW. The picture has a very smooth look with 0 motion artifacts.

All boxes support HD, They all have HDMI, component, composite, SVideo and RF outputs. For audio there are stereo RCA jacks and Optical. They also have a USB host connector but I am not sure of the function.

The DVR is a bit of a disapointment since although you can watch programming recorded on the DVR from any TV, you can only record programs from the DVR box or the Internet. This also means that you can only pause live TV from the DVR STB. The STB's also do not support PIP.

It seems a bit incongruous that you can control the DVR from the Internet and not one of the non-DVR STB's. I did try setting up a channel to record via the Internet. I could then watch that channel on one of the non-DVR STB's and could thus use that to pause the channel I was watching. It's certainly a bit of a pain. I could also do this from an i-phone but I'm not going there just yet. I suspect that they will improve some of this as time goes by.

Overall, the whole system has a very professional and modern look and feel to it. TW has got a fine competitor if AT&T can keep this up.

Larry
post #26 of 91 Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Website still says unavailable for me. Even through my engineering contacts, can't get anyone to call me back that knows anything.

Bob

post #27 of 91 Old 12-15-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Website still says unavailable for me. Even through my engineering contacts, can't get anyone to call me back that knows anything.

The Internet may be the best spot. I received a flyer on Monday, 12/8/2008. I went to a link on the flyer, http://uverse.att.com/UV36 and found it was available at my address. I was just looking arround and got accosted by thier online chat help. I ignored it for awhile but I wound up with a few questions. The outcome was that I got the service.

Today I went back and checked my neighbors address and it comes up unavailable. Now, his phone line comes from the very same box as mine so I'm not sure what that means. They did have an issue when they installed my service so possibly they just locked out some addresses on my street until they get it resolved.

The other thought that crossed my mind is that possibly they are only connecting a few customers at a time to check out the system. They may have a shortage of installation techs. It seemed that the guy that did mine just got out of training. I never thought about this much but it may take them awhile to really ramp up personel to cover the whole area.

One early tip off was that last spring they dug a bunch of holes on my street. Apparently they were checking underground splices. The problem that they ran into when they installed my service was supposed to have been fixed last spring. I doubt that they want to send a back-hoe out for every installation so they may take a harder look when they do the first few accounts in an area. Just a guess though.

At any rate, it's been up for 4 days now and not a re-boot yet. That had become an almost daily occurrance with my TW DVR.
post #28 of 91 Old 12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks for the review, Larry. Good stuff.
post #29 of 91 Old 12-15-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdiver View Post

He connected my PC via a USB 802.11G adaptor that he supplied. The Gateway has a WiFi router inside. I later connected my home network directly to one of the 4 Ethernet ports on the Gateway via an external switch. I could no longer use my existing WiFi router since the Gateway is the router. All 3 PC's work fine.

You should be able to turn off the routing on your existing wifi router's admin page, which will basically turn your router into an access point. That way, your router is just a means of connection for your home pc's and the gateway will handle DHCP and what not.

Sounds like the service is great, I hope it makes it to the huntersville/northlake area soon!
post #30 of 91 Old 12-15-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure about the SA8300 since I only have an SA8000 SD DVR. However, I would rate the U-verse DVR as quite responsive and much faster than the SA8000. It takes under 1 second to open the guide. Scrolling through the guide is almost instantaineous. Manually changing channels is also virtually instantaineous. I would say it's faster than an analog tuner. It's even more impressive when you consider that as you scroll through the guide you also get a small inset picture of what's currently on that channel. Rather than providing a PIP of the currently tuned channel, the guide is semi transparent so you can see the original channel through it. It's all sort of a blue tone somewhat like the transparent windows on Windows Vista. However, you can still tell what's going on pretty easily.

As far as features, you can record up to 4 programs at one time. However, it does not have the PIP swap feature of the TW DVR. It does not have PIP at all.

PIP swap was one of my favorite features of the SA8000. However when TW switched to Navigator, the DVR would no longer stay in pause when you swap to the alternate channel so PIP swap became almost useless.

You can simulate this with the U-verse DVR by putting multiple channels into record and switching between. It's pretty easy to do but more key strokes than PIP swap.

I suppose that the major issue for the maxed out household is the fact that you can only watch or record a maximum of 4 channels at any one time. In addition, only 2 can be HD. So, if you record 4 channels at the same time, you can only watch one of those 4 channels while recording. I have read that they will be up-grading to more channels some time next year.

Basically it's a limitation of the connection to the neighborhood switch or VRAD. Each customer has a 25Mbs link down from the VRAD. When you change a channel, you are actually requesting that the VRAD place that video stream on the line. It does happen quite fast. I should qualify this since I don't know what the limitation actually is. I'm just pointing out that the system is switched and anything you watch or record needs to be placed on the line.

The guide navigation seems quite nice. I would rate it as far better. I never used the TW search much since I could never find anything. You can search by name which is quite useful. It does take a bit of time to provide the results but I am not too surprised. It seems to have a lot more content in it's database. For example, if you type in judge you get all the judge shows. LOL

One feature that I like which is OT from the DVR question is that you can watch the HD channels on an SD TV if you like. This expands the SD offerings to include all of the HD channels.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page