WTNH on LI, no signal, what's their broadcast schedule? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 01-29-2002, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just installed a VHF antenna to pull in WTNH-DT channel 10 from CT to replace ABC-DT after Sept. 11 loss of WTC. I am getting 0% signal with Winegard HD-4053 VHF only antenna and CM 7777 pre-amp. It's 10:30 am, do they broadcast during the day? What's their broadcast schedule? Are others in LI pulling it in? I'm in Huntington, two story house with roof mount. Thank you.

Best regards, Adam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-29-2002, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Channel 10 should be on during the day.
How is WTNH channel 8 analog coming in? You are only about 35 miles from the station. If you do not get anything on channel 8, I would look for a problem with your installation.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-29-2002, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Bogney Baux. Channel 8 is comming in with a lot of snow. I double checked the installation; everything looks right. I do look into a small hill to the NE. I could go a little higher, if I take the antenna off the chimney mount and go to the peak with a tripod. Is that what it will take or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Best regards, Adam Okula.
post #4 of 30 Old 01-29-2002, 09:03 AM

I get WTNH fine with an attic located VHF and I'm on the South Shore, so you should be able to pull in WTNH from Huntington. I remember having to spend quite a lot of time aiming my antenna in order to get an acceptable signal strength.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-29-2002, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DTVDAD
I could go a little higher, if I take the antenna off the chimney mount and go to the peak with a tripod. Is that what it will take or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Before relocating the antenna, you might want to try pointing it toward New York City. If you get good reception from the NYC VHF stations then you know your antenna system is operating properly. If NYC comes in poorly then there maybe a problem with your installation.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-29-2002, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

I have been geting WTNH for a long time now, but was haveing a hard time with NYC CBS, I use two ant. a UHF 4228 and a rat shack VU190 for WTNH. I put up a pre-amp to get CBS and pulled in a channel 10 NBC from somewhere! This was killing WTNH! so I had to aim my VHF ant way to the side till the analog 10 droped off and stoped interfering with WTNH.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-30-2002, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The same thing happened to me the first time I installed a combo CM antenna. I believe I had the PSIP info off on the DTC-100 when it pulled in an analog station on 10.
post #8 of 30 Old 01-31-2002, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Adam,
I'm not far from you (near Jericho Tpke & Rte 110). I have no problem getting WTNH-DT. Do you have a rotor on your antenna? If not, you might want to play around with the direction that it is pointing. There is not a big window of antenna direction between getting a signal strength of 92 and a signal strength of 0 for this station.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-31-2002, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
Bill,
If you have a rotor, do you know what your exact heading is when pointing toward WTNH?
post #10 of 30 Old 01-31-2002, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Ken,
If you don't get answer, go to this site http://www.zenithair.com/misc/distance.html
It should help.
Here are exact coords. for WTNH-DT transmitter:
Transmitter: 41° 25' 22" N 72° 57' 6" W
Gaylord Mountain, Hamden
post #11 of 30 Old 01-31-2002, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
do you know what your exact heading is when pointing toward WTNH?
From Plainview zip code 11803, WTNH is 52 miles at 31.6 degrees. This is according to this website:
http://bsexton.com/cgi-bin/tv.cgi
post #12 of 30 Old 02-01-2002, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ken,
I do have a rotor, but I don't believe that the compass is calibrated properly. Therefore, take these measurements with some scepticism. The compass setting for WTNH is 305 degrees. As a reference, the optimum compass setting for WCBS is 160 degrees.

Even if the calibration is incorrect, the optimum setting for WTNH is 145 degrees greater clockwise than is is for WCBS.

I hope this helps.
post #13 of 30 Old 02-01-2002, 08:33 AM

I was able to get pretty close in aiming my VHF antenna for WTNH by aiming exactly 90 degrees offset of my ESB aimed UHF antenna.
post #14 of 30 Old 02-02-2002, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your suggestions. I haven't been back on the roof, because it's been wet the last few days. Sounds like I may have two problems with my installation. Apparently, I should have the two antenna's separated by at least 34" (I had raised the VHF higher because of the hill I'm facing) and the amplifier, although helping with the UHF NYC stations, might have too much gain for WNHT. I've ordered a Winegard combiner that will combine the signals, but allow DC pass through for the UHF that benefits from gain of the amplifier and allow me to combine the UHF & VHF signals without adding any gain to VHF. I'll let you know how I make out soon. And thanks again for your suggestions.

post #15 of 30 Old 02-02-2002, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

CJ,
Thanks for the coordinates. I was abandoning my plans to put up a VHF section based on Gary's remarks about WABC & WPIX going live again in the near future. However, subsequent reports haven't been so rosy. I may wait a couple of more weeks to see how things shake out and then make a decision. I'd certainly like to avoid having more "space gear" up on the roof.

Bill,
Thanks for your input. I believe you are right in that your compass headings are off. I would think from where you are (as you know, you and I are close) you should have a compass reading for CBS of closer to 270 degree (just about due west). That's about what my peak point is. It's interesting how your ideal offset of 145 degrees is so different than Paul's at 90 degrees. From my location your offset would be pretty much northeast and Paul's would be virtually due North. Using CJ's coordinates, the transmitter would be in a northeasterly direction from my site. Your offset would be closer from my location.
post #16 of 30 Old 02-02-2002, 01:24 PM

I'm Medford with an offset of 90 degrees. I'm using a crappy radio shack signal booster that I had lying around. I think it's 20db. Without it, I can't receive WTNH.
post #17 of 30 Old 02-02-2002, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI...I emailed WTNH back in Nov. asking if their app for increased power (from about 8kw to 21kw) had been approved. He replied that it basically had been, but they needed to add some additional panels to the transmitter. He guessed that maybe sometime in the Spring the work would be done. Not a major increase, but it probably would benefit you guys on L.I.
post #18 of 30 Old 02-02-2002, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Its been a while, but I swung my rig around tonight to view From Russia With Love on WTNH.

First, it seems the signal is not as strong as the last time I watched WTNH (Nov?). The strength was only about 50 but with tweaking my rotor, it was actually watchable. Video breakups would occasionally come and go, but for the most part I was able to lock on and hold the signal. Audio (stereo) was quite good even during video breakups.

In case anyone can't remember my gear, I use an amplified CM quantum vhf/uhf combo with a CM rotor, roof mounted tri-pod on a two story house, zip 11768 (Dish6000 w/ota card). I hope they can raise the power level as 50 seems quite borderline.

Meanwhile, the 39 year old From Russia with Love looked incredible. I can't wait to view Indiana Jones.
post #19 of 30 Old 02-13-2002, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I got back on the roof and worked on trying to receive a signal. I took the combiner (and UHF) out of the equation and concentrated on just the VHF antenna. Still the best I could do was a weak 0, 35-50 signal strength (on Dish 6000) with Winegard HD-4053 VHF only antenna with and without CM 7777 pre-amp. When turned toward NYC, picture is okay but not great, but haven't used analog VHF in a while, so I don't know what to expect. I also didn't tweak the pointing, just lined up with my UHF antenna. Analog signal on channel 8, was snowy.

As, I said I do point into a slight hill about 200' away and about 20' taller than my antenna. Before I try relocating the antenna (going to roof peak and adding a tri-pod should gain 15' or more), I thought I'd try another VHF only antenna. What antenna's are you having any luck with receiving WTNH on Long Island? Is that what you guys would try first before relocating? Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

post #20 of 30 Old 02-18-2002, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I was able to view only the first 15 minutes of Raiders last night due to unexpected company. I'll try again tonight with the Temple of Doom.

Raiders looked incredible @ 2:35. Sound great as well in 5.1.

Strength @50, occational video artifacts.
post #21 of 30 Old 02-18-2002, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I emailed the engineer at WTNH who was on the forum awhile back...dcm. Told him that the sound and picture were great from WTNH for "Raiders" and the Bond films. He replied that he was pleased with the positive feedback. I asked about the power increase and told him there were several people on LI who could benefit from the slight power increase. Here's part of his reply:

"Our application to increase power should be approved shortly, however we will not likely have an oppurtunity to make the modifications before mid summer. With all of the stations around the country trying to get on the air this spring there will likely be a very long lead time for us to get the addtional antenna pieces necessary. When we get some firm dates I will post them on the AVS Forum."
post #22 of 30 Old 02-18-2002, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Temple of Doom was very impressive on WTNH tonight. Signal strength up to 55-57 with virtually no video dropouts.

A couple of audio pops and several commercials mucked up the airwaves but overall a thumbs up. The 5.1 was good with decent subwoofer activity.

So how about the last Crusade?
post #23 of 30 Old 05-01-2002, 02:59 PM

I'm looking for a VHF-only antenna to pick up WTNH on LI. I currently have a combo and I'm receiving a lot of drop outs for WTNH. Can anyone recommend an antenna to pick up a 7.9kw VHF signal at 60 miles?

»ken«
post #24 of 30 Old 05-01-2002, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

ken,
I'm beginning to doubt that we can receive this channel problem free from our locations with ANY antenna. I installed a VHF only Winegard antenna and still get dropouts (both audio and video). It has nothing to do with weather or signal strength. Oftentimes I get these dropouts with a strong signal that is only fluctuating a bit. I have no idea if it's multipath or something at the station end. I'm close to giving up on this channel (my wife gave up on it last week....too frustrating). It's too bad, since many of the broadcasts look really good.
post #25 of 30 Old 05-02-2002, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed the WTNH records here http://bsexton.com/cgi-bin/tv.cgi show that the new antenna is not only supposed to have more power (21 kW) but also non-directional.

I wonder if being non-directional will help. I'm sure the extra power will. :)

Andy
post #26 of 30 Old 05-02-2002, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
ken,
I'm beginning to doubt that we can receive this channel problem free from our locations with ANY antenna. I installed a VHF only Winegard antenna and still get dropouts (both audio and video). It has nothing to do with weather or signal strength. Oftentimes I get these dropouts with a strong signal that is only fluctuating a bit. I have no idea if it's multipath or something at the station end. I'm close to giving up on this channel (my wife gave up on it last week....too frustrating). It's too bad, since many of the broadcasts look really good.
When I added a ChannelMaster 7777 pre-amp, I started getting a much better signal, but still dropouts. Sometimes its beautiful, other times unwatchable. I think I may add another antenna just so I can point my combo back toward the city because CBS is suffering. I have a good dialog with an Antennacraft tech. I'm waiting for feedback from him. The next thing I'm going to do is replace the RG-59 cable with some RG-6. That should help a little. Damn weather. I know we need this rain, but I want to get back on my roof.

Andy, that link you gave is redirecting me to www.ardman.net. I don't see anything about WTNH there. http://100kwatts.tmi.net/tv/CT.html has the application at 20.5 kwatts also, but doesn't say anything about direction. Their engineer posted a while back saying that the tower wouldn't be up until October at the earliest, so I'm still searching for immediate results.

»ken«
post #27 of 30 Old 05-02-2002, 09:55 AM

I live 69 miles from the transmitter for WTNH-DT. Would I be able to get a signal? Or is that too far?
post #28 of 30 Old 05-02-2002, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hdtvmaniac
I live 69 miles from the transmitter for WTNH-DT. Would I be able to get a signal? Or is that too far?
I'm 59 miles away and I get a 30-50 signal strength with periodic drop-outs using a pre-amp. I'm probably on the edge of the range. I doubt you'll have much luck. You can try pointing and scanning, though.

»ken«
post #29 of 30 Old 05-02-2002, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

"Oftentimes I get these dropouts with a strong signal that is only fluctuating a bit."

Ken Ross....A few weeks ago I emailed WTNH engineer when something like what you describe was happening to me. He replied that he thought it had something to do with receiving the signal from ABC. The station's dish is somewhat small and bad weather just increases the likelihood of reception problems for them. This may be the cause of what we are experiencing at times.
post #30 of 30 Old 05-03-2002, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KenA

Andy, that link you gave is redirecting me to www.ardman.net. I don't see anything about WTNH there.
Yeah, you have to enter the station call sign, WTNH, and hit the submit button at the bottom. That search will return a bunch of info about the station. Just scroll through that and look for the red digital heading on the right.
Sorry I didn't mention that before :rolleyes:

Heck, I'm 34 miles from it and get frequent dropouts. I'm still tweaking things though...

Andy
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page