Nashville, TN -- AT&T Uverse - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 71 Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed that there is not a separate thread for Uverse in Nashville and the Comcast thread is probably not the best place to talk.

Anyway, I had Uverse installed on Tuesday. Took 3 hours and was painless. My only gripe right now is the 2 HD Stream limit and that's only been a problem when I've taped a HD show and wanted to watch two other HD shows. I can live with that.

Picture Quality, as far as I can tell, is on par with Comcast. No pixelation so far which was a big problem for me on Comcast. LOL, I discovered that the 27 inch 4:3 TV I have in my bedroom is actually HD. Who knew???? (I got it from my brother and just assumed that it was not HD. I remember stores selling 4:3 HD sets a few years ago but I doubt you can find one now.

Anyway, if there's anyone else in the Nashville area with Uverse jump on in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First - I'm so jealous. I check almost daily to see if my area (Bellevue) has access to u-verse...with no luck!

A couple of questions though.
Does your channel line up seem complete? Are there any channels u-verse offers that you aren't able to get? They say they offer 100 HD channels. Without actually counting, does that seem accurate?

Is the menu/channels listing better that Comcast's? Quicker/Slower? Any insights that you can give would be helpful.

Thanks for starting this thread!
post #3 of 71 Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashman2 View Post

First - I'm so jealous. I check almost daily to see if my area (Bellevue) has access to u-verse...with no luck!

A couple of questions though.
Does your channel line up seem complete? Are there any channels u-verse offers that you aren't able to get? They say they offer 100 HD channels. Without actually counting, does that seem accurate?

Is the menu/channels listing better that Comcast's? Quicker/Slower? Any insights that you can give would be helpful.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Me and you both. Me and you both. I call them every Monday. One of the operators said within the year in our area.
post #4 of 71 Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and counted the HD channels and I get 62 channels (excluding a couple of customer notification channels and the premium movie channels.) I subscribed to the U300 package so I also get an additional 16 Showtime and Starz channels. If you went all out and got HBO, Cinemax and The Movie Channel that would definitely get you near if not over the 100 channel mark.

Channel Listing menu seems to be quicker than Comcast. Channel selection is definitely quicker, oftentimes on Comcast there would be about a 4 or 5 second delay in getting a channel when changing channels. There is no delay in Uverse. A nice feature is the channel that gives update on the service, what channels are being added, any problems with channels etc. Nice to know somewhat about what is going on rather than guessing with Comcast.

Comcast does have the edge with respect to the number of HD channels that can be watched/recorded at once. There are some times that I had recorded 2 HD channels recording on my Comcast DVR box and so I would go to my second HD TV with box and watch live shows. With Uverse, the 2 HD limitation applies to all TVs in the house. Again, it is a gripe but something I can live with and work around.

Also, Comcast's On Demand selection is much better than Uverse's. In particular I enjoyed watching CBS shows On Demand rather than recording them on the DVR. CBS shows are not offered on Uverse's Video On Demand. As I play around with it some more I'll keep posting my thoughts.
post #5 of 71 Old 05-03-2009, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well, unfortunately, I'm switching back to Comcast.

Watching U-Verse made me sick . . . . literally.

I am very sensitive to screen flicker. I've never had a problem with TV's before but have had many problems with computer monitors. If the screen refresh rate is not set up exactly I am susceptible to headaches and nausea. For whatever reason, I have noticeable flicker, at least to me, on my HDTV's when using U-verse. After watching for any length of time, I started having headaches and nausea. It happened on every HDTV I have and happened no matter which aspect ratio on chose.

After switching back to Comcast, the problems have disappeared. I've found some discussion of this on various forums and it is not localized to U-verse. I hate this because U-Verse is in most other respects a superior service. The only downsides (other than making me sick of course) to U-Verse compared to Comcast are:

1 - No local on the 8's for the weather channel. Bigger issue than I thought particularly when storms come through. The radar on U-Verse's weather application is about 30 to 60 minutes behind the current conditions which when storms are around make it useless. In addition, the app is very slow in loading.

2 - No digitial sub-channels of local stations. Not that big a deal but something I do watch from time to time.

I could live with those 2 limitations, but cannot live with the headaches and nausea. Sigh, back to Comcast I go. Hopefully, the "Project Cavalry" upgrade to Comcast will bring a better selection of HD channels. Smithsonian, MGM, and HDNet channels are essential.
post #6 of 71 Old 06-21-2009, 06:52 PM

U-Verse is being offered in River Plantation (Bellevue). A friend is signing up for it. River Plantation is a huge condo community near the defunct mall. (for those wondering)
post #7 of 71 Old 06-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

cool. that area seems to be covered pretty well. our friends who live near the library have it as well. still waiting for it on Old Hickory though.
post #8 of 71 Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I've come back to U-verse. Still had many problems with Comcast particularly heavy pixelation and hit or miss availability of On Demand. Got to the point where my wife finally mentioned that she liked U-verse better (of course after telling me last spring that she wanted to go back to Comcast.)

Re-installation was very smooth. In fact, installer fixed a splice which Comcast had put in years ago which was probably causing the pixelation problems. New features since I was first on U-verse is the multi-room DVR capability where you can schedule, watch and delete any recording from any box. Also, they've introduced a multi-view news, sports and kids channels which is kind of neat, particularly the sports one. On 2/3 of the screen you see and listen to one channel. Down the right side of the screen there are 3 PIP's in a row top to bottom with the next three sports channels in the lineup. You can scroll down that column through all the sports channels. Haven't played with it too much but if you can pick and choose which channels to put in the PIP it will be great come football season.

All-in-all, glad to be back.
post #9 of 71 Old 11-01-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

The one huge difference between U-verse and Comcast is HD. U-verse has more channels that actually offer HD programming (especially good imho are HD Net and Smithsonian) while Comcast has a huge edge in picture quality. Watching NFL games today on FOX, CBS and NFL Redzone was very disappoining because the U-verse picture quality was absolutely horrible. I hope this is an isolated incident but if it continues there won't be much reason to keep U-verse.
post #10 of 71 Old 11-01-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by papercy View Post

The one huge difference between U-verse and Comcast is HD. U-verse has more channels that actually offer HD programming (especially good imho are HD Net and Smithsonian) while Comcast has a huge edge in picture quality. Watching NFL games today on FOX, CBS and NFL Redzone was very disappoining because the U-verse picture quality was absolutely horrible. I hope this is an isolated incident but if it continues there won't be much reason to keep U-verse.

Sorry to say it's common knowledge here.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #11 of 71 Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 PM

My HD U-verse picture quality is absolutely GREAT. I don't know what you are looking at but my HD picture looks just as good and better than Comcast. I have not had one problem U-Verse.
post #12 of 71 Old 11-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Liked: 11
I'm interested in more info about U-Verse. I don't really watch much TV but I use the net a lot and was wondering about the consistency of speeds and latency in online games (ping times). Also, I download a lot sometimes and I've seen that AT&T's highest-tier DSL limit is 150GB/mo which I probably would never hit. Is there a similar limit on u-verse?

Also, I don't care for onDemand or DVRs; am I required to rent a box for each television just to receive their content?

They're showing it available in my area of Murfreesboro and I might consider if their pricing is very competitive because I rarely have issues with Comcast. Just went through configuring something equal to what I have with Comcast ($118) and AT&T came to $133 with boxes. Without the extra boxes and HD "fee" it could drop $24 but I'm under the impression that stuff is necessary if you want to actually watch TV. I've got all recent HD TVs.

PC Game Audio - http://satsun.org/audio/
post #13 of 71 Old 01-03-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, you need a box for every TV on which you want to watch U-verse. Although you pay a fee for each box, you do not a separate HD or digital fee for each box. I think Comcast gives you "Free" HD and/or Digital with one box, but if you rent more boxes you pay a separate content fee. Internet speeds are sufficient and I do a lot of downloading.

In my opinion, channel selection is better on U-verse, Picture Quality is much better on Comcast. The PQ is especially bad with sporting events on U-verse and there have been many a weekend this football season that I was ready to go back to Comcast on that issue alone.
post #14 of 71 Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 PM

Does anyone know if Uverse is available at all in the Hillsboro / West End area? It's not available to me so I was wondering if it may be close.
post #15 of 71 Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohling View Post

Does anyone know if Uverse is available at all in the Hillsboro / West End area? It's not available to me so I was wondering if it may be close.

One way I try to see how near U-verse is to me, is picking addresses in the area and trying them at the "check availability site".

http://www.att.com/u-verse/availabil...k=1-0021RR-0-2

I used this to find out that it is in the apartment complex next to my condos.
post #16 of 71 Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 PM

Is any one having Audio Drop Outs while receiving 5.1 signal From U-verse DVR box.
post #17 of 71 Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTITAN View Post

Is any one having Audio Drop Outs while receiving 5.1 signal From U-verse DVR box.

It's pretty common, from what I read on other forums. I haven't seen it yet, though.
post #18 of 71 Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPC View Post

It's pretty common, from what I read on other forums. I haven't seen it yet, though.

Are you using HDMI cable? Is your Cable box connect to a receiver?
post #19 of 71 Old 02-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Had a technician come to my house today. To invesgate the Audio Drop out problem. He said that ATT was awear of the problem and there was not a know fix. We are just stuck with the problem. Channel 1005 CBS is the worst. Drops out about everey 15 seconds. I hope they get it fixied because I don't want to go back to COMCAST.
post #20 of 71 Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTITAN View Post

Are you using HDMI cable? Is your Cable box connect to a receiver?

I use component for video, analog audio to the TV, and optical out to my 5.1 receiver.
post #21 of 71 Old 04-08-2010, 02:30 PM

I live right across the river by the Titan's Stadium and I cannot get U-Verse. I'm hoping we'll get it soon.
post #22 of 71 Old 04-12-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone been upgraded to the 3HD/1SD service? I've seen in other forums that other cities have that now. Just curious.
post #23 of 71 Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Still waiting on the 3rd HD stream in Goodlettsville. Last month I was upgraded to the 32/5 profile for a couple of days before being sent back to a 25/2 profile. I chatted with tech support the other night and asked them about the upgrade and if I quailified, and the person was no help. I live less than 800 ft. from the VRAD, and my max sync is 55000+, so I know I am more than capable of a 32/5 profile. He gave me some pat answers like reset the RG and STB's, as if that would make a change, and of course it didn't. I need to call tier 2 and see if they can help.
post #24 of 71 Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Let me know how that works for you. From what I can tell I have the capability to have the 3 HD streams but when I chatted with the CSR on-line they stated that it was "not available" in the area.
post #25 of 71 Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I talked to a CSR this morning who checked on upgrading me my service to 3HD/1SD. He actually seemed to know what he was doing (much more so than the person I chatted online with a couple of days ago). Anyway, his response is that the hardware is in place, I'm close enough to the VRAD but the software upgrade to implement the service has not been installed yet. He said to check again in about a month.
post #26 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Uverse is available pretty much everywhere in Bellevue as of last month. We switched from comcast and, overall, like it better.

Having one dvr that streams to all the other TVs has been... interesting. Great to be able to watch any recorded program on any tv. But, you can only pause/rewind live TV on the one TV that is connected to the DVR. We've also bumped against the 2 HD stream limit quite often (I have two teenagers and my mother-in-law living with me), so that's been a disappointment.

But, having a TON more HD channels has been great. The internet service is much faster as well as being able to sustain a fast transfer rate over time.

Since the major flooding this weekend though (it's now late afternoon Tuesday) we still have no phone, tv or internet. Not sure if why there is such a delay in getting service restored. The techs have no answers. The neighbors that still have comcast say their internet and cable is back online.
post #27 of 71 Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathonwood View Post

Uverse is available pretty much everywhere in Bellevue as of last month. We switched from comcast and, overall, like it better.

Having one dvr that streams to all the other TVs has been... interesting. Great to be able to watch any recorded program on any tv. But, you can only pause/rewind live TV on the one TV that is connected to the DVR. We've also bumped against the 2 HD stream limit quite often (I have two teenagers and my mother-in-law living with me), so that's been a disappointment.

But, having a TON more HD channels has been great. The internet service is much faster as well as being able to sustain a fast transfer rate over time.

Since the major flooding this weekend though (it's now late afternoon Tuesday) we still have no phone, tv or internet. Not sure if why there is such a delay in getting service restored. The techs have no answers. The neighbors that still have comcast say their internet and cable is back online.

AT&T has a large building in the heart of River Plantation, which flooded badly. I don't know what all was in that building, but it could have been alot. Even AT&T cell phone service is down in some areas of Bellevue.
post #28 of 71 Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone experiencing audio drop-offs and loudness differences between HD and SD channels. Started about 2 weeks ago for me. SD channels are now unwatchable due to the extremely low volume. HD channels are fine. I've checked the U-Verse member forums and this seems to be a nationwide problem.
post #29 of 71 Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Just got back from vacation and noticed that I now have the 1SD/3HD profile and it is working. Anyone else have it?
post #30 of 71 Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone here have U-verse and live in Metro Nashville? Just wondering if Nashville's Community Access Stations are available. I live in Franklin and they do not show up there although I have channels for Rutherford, Williamson and Dickson counties.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page