15Likes

post #4021 of 4351 Old 06-15-2014, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
Uhh, I'm having a weird issue that just starting happening like a week or two ago. Around 10-11pm on some OTA channels the audio will just cut out and the Dolby Digital icon will blink. Changing the channel will fix it temporarily but it seems to stop happening come 11:30pm. Note that if I turn on an external receiver it too will not have any sound. I'm also running what should be the newest TV firmware, v1.1.13 Sept 3 2013.

Interestingly enough, this has actually been happening most frequently with 3.1 and 19.1; the night I took the video was the first time it happened with 43.1.

Here's a video of the issue, note that you can see that the signal strength shows full bars at the 0:09 mark. My TV is a Toshiba 39L1350U for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaQOhLMfQt4
How old is your TV and did the audio cut out before the firmware upgrade? Have you tried unplugging the TV for several minutes and then plugging it back in? Did you try rescanning for channels?

Once in a while my HDTV will mute the audio while changing channels. In mild cases, going to another channel and then back will unmute the sound. In severe cases, all digital channels will be muted and turning the set off and back on is the only way to fix it. Then I got the picky channels like what you are having with the unexplained muting. My HDTV can not decode the audio of 5.1, 5.2, 8.2, 55.1, 55.2 & 55.3 correctly, and I end up with garbled/glitchy audio. If I unplug and reinsert the coaxial cable or try to get the picture to break up, then the audio is fine. That's computerized electronics for you.

-------------

BTW, does anyone know how to get the number of unread posts back at the top of the page? Someone on another thread said that it's still there but apparently it isn't. This switch to vB sucks. It's more restrictive and has fewer features compared to the old platform.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4351 Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My TV is only 10 months old. Heck I think the L1350U line of TVs only came out in 2013.

No, the audio issue did not occur before the firmware upgrade. At most there was of maybe 3 weeks between when I updated to the newest firmware vs when the audio issue started happening. However I wasn't the person that originally ran into the issue, so I cannot tell you how early it started happening - I was only made aware of it about a month after I did the firmware update.

For reference I updated the firmware because there was a bug with the VGA picture settings where your custom settings wouldn't apply unless you actually went into the menu and changed one of the picture settings.

Regarding the unplugging and rescanning the channels, these are things I've been wanting to do but just haven't had the chance.

Regarding the TV muting the audio when changing channels, my issue occurs while you're already watching a channel - the audio will just cut out in the middle of what you're watching.
post #4023 of 4351 Old 06-16-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 20
6 Analog

6 once again is shooting Color Bars in analog with La Mega Audio.

Most sets automatically mute the audio if no video signal is present.

What is the point? I thought the intrest was in 87.7 FM, so why apply for the TV License?

What is the date for current analog to cease in the US, & is Canada caught up to our schedule?

OTA victim of the cable & Pay TV conspiricy.
post #4024 of 4351 Old 06-16-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
6 once again is shooting Color Bars in analog with La Mega Audio.

Most sets automatically mute the audio if no video signal is present.

What is the point? I thought the intrest was in 87.7 FM, so why apply for the TV License?

What is the date for current analog to cease in the US, & is Canada caught up to our schedule?

OTA victim of the cable & Pay TV conspiricy.
I believe WLFM has a construction permit for a digital broadcast on RF 6. They are probably firing up the video again so they can run something once they convert to digital.

post #4025 of 4351 Old 06-19-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I believe WLFM has a construction permit for a digital broadcast on RF 6. They are probably firing up the video again so they can run something once they convert to digital.
I also see App or CP for D on rf 44. The Coverage of the 6 app 6 nearly looks like a full power station (though with my lack of an outdoor antenna for now, I doubt if I could get it reliabily if at all).

I thought the whole idea was the interest is more about the radio end of this deal & they could care less about the TV station... what gives? Are they likely to pick up a diginet?

We really don't have any Independent channels here anymore (& please don't say 35.... that's a West Side Station), that would be a refreshing difference.
post #4026 of 4351 Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I also see App or CP for D on rf 44. The Coverage of the 6 app 6 nearly looks like a full power station (though with my lack of an outdoor antenna for now, I doubt if I could get it reliabily if at all).
I'm not sure why the RF 44 application is still listed on the FCC's quarry. It should have been dismissed. From what I remember; when WLFM was still WXOX broadcasting HSN, Venture Broadcasting wanted to move WXOX from analog 65 to 44 and increase power, probably due to 52-69 being auctioned off. Shortly after, the application was changed to transmit a digital signal on RF 44. However, FCC findings showed possible interference to WNEO and the move was postponed until sometime after the digital transition when they tried to get a digital broadcast on WJW's pre-transition RF 31. The FCC dismissed the move to RF 31 and the move to analog 6 was then submitted and approved.

Quote:
I thought the whole idea was the interest is more about the radio end of this deal & they could care less about the TV station... what gives? Are they likely to pick up a diginet?
They could still broadcast as a radio station after converting to digital. Since they wouldn't be heard on analog radio anymore, they would have to use someone's subchannel on HD Radio, relay on internet streaming, buy a station (likely on AM), or try to squeeze in somewhere on another FM frequency with a smaller coverage area.

Quote:
We really don't have any Independent channels here anymore (& please don't say 35.... that's a West Side Station), that would be a refreshing difference.
If WBNX poured some money into their 55.2 channel and formatted it prior to The WB, I'm sure that would make a good independent channel. I would like to see a revival of their "We Are Family And We Show It" slogan.

43 was a good independent back in the day, then came the duo UPN/WB affiliation, then just UPN, and then Raycom, running the once iconic independent station into the ground with infomercials and garbage shows.

I often wonder what 61 would have become if it wasn't sold to Univision. At the time, 61 was almost sold to Disney until it was outbid by Univision. Disney surely would have put ABC on 61, something that wouldn't have settle well with WEWS, especially after the battle they had with WAKC.

post #4027 of 4351 Old 06-20-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not sure why the RF 44 application is still listed on the FCC's quarry. It should have been dismissed. From what I remember; when WLFM was still WXOX broadcasting HSN, Venture Broadcasting wanted to move WXOX from analog 65 to 44 and increase power, probably due to 52-69 being auctioned off. Shortly after, the application was changed to transmit a digital signal on RF 44. However, FCC findings showed possible interference to WNEO and the move was postponed until sometime after the digital transition when they tried to get a digital broadcast on WJW's pre-transition RF 31. The FCC dismissed the move to RF 31 and the move to analog 6 was then submitted and approved.

They could still broadcast as a radio station after converting to digital. Since they wouldn't be heard on analog radio anymore, they would have to use someone's subchannel on HD Radio, relay on internet streaming, buy a station (likely on AM), or try to squeeze in somewhere on another FM frequency with a smaller coverage area..
OK my bad forgot the real origins of 6 dating back to WXOX 65... but another shopping channel? (I guess these go over big otherwise they wouldn't exist)

Hear of the rumors of LaMega piggybacking as an HD, though most radios I see don't have the capability.

Quote:
If WBNX poured some money into their 55.2 channel and formatted it prior to The WB, I'm sure that would make a good independent channel. I would like to see a revival of their "We Are Family And We Show It" slogan.

43 was a good independent back in the day, then came the duo UPN/WB affiliation, then just UPN, and then Raycom, running the once iconic independent station into the ground with infomercials and garbage shows.

I often wonder what 61 would have become if it wasn't sold to Univision. At the time, 61 was almost sold to Disney until it was outbid by Univision. Disney surely would have put ABC on 61, something that wouldn't have settle well with WEWS, especially after the battle they had with WAKC.
I remember most of the history, Captain Cleveland, The Ghoul, Barnaby, WKBF signing on in '68 or 69 & showing Ultra Man... miss all that.

I interviewed for a broadcast technician position at WQHS (or possibly WCLQ), at the time they were in transition to HSN (Summer 1989 I'm pretty sure) Dave Smith (Nice guy!) gave me the nickle tour, they had dismantled most of the sets, but got a bit of history of the station, of where Ron Sweed did his show as the Ghoul. Only the 'Gazebo' set was still up for PSA spots & Sunday Morning local shows in the HSN days... one of those interviews that left a good impression on me & didn't forget.

What took all this down, pre canned garbage on cable? Makes me appreciate Svenghoulie on Me TV now... (Regional/Local Icons).

Seriously, correct, WBNX is wasting bandwidth & power with the static screen, they really ought to pick up some old family oriented sitcoms cheap for the overnight hours on .2. Working the late shifts I had a tendency to watch these subs as they arent filled with garbage advertising, this, Bounce, Get, Antenna, have some great moves on
too.... reason why I miss out on Retro out here in the east.

I don't think Disney would had been able to steal the ABC affiliation from WEWS, nor would a second ABC station worked in the same market. Speaking does Disney own Channel 6 (the former WDBO when I was there) in Orlando?

Edit, Tropo up this AM, off the attic no 19, & watched 8 slowly fade off, got CBS from 11 Toledo (no 13 though (??)) & WXYZ 7

Last edited by Bismarck440; 06-20-2014 at 02:04 PM.
post #4028 of 4351 Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Talking

Quote:
I'm not surprised. I don't think the network has added any new shows since WEWS picked it up. I never saw anything that interested me on Live Well or even had 5.2 tuned in for more than 10 minutes
What, not even those 2 'alternative lifestyle' dudes (Chris & Brian?) ?? (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Programming very similiar to Ion Life (which I don't get in all the time). I think it has it's nitch... now don't even the cable network channels show the same programs over & over & over again? (& people are willing to pay for it!)
post #4029 of 4351 Old 06-27-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else having issues with Channel 5 the last few days? Two channels up, channel 3 looks normal. Maybe lower power or antenna work? -Ed
post #4030 of 4351 Old 06-27-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
Anyone else having issues with Channel 5 the last few days? Two channels up, channel 3 looks normal. Maybe lower power or antenna work? -Ed
Transmission line issues. Operating from their backup tower. Should be fixed later today.
post #4031 of 4351 Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary16 View Post
Transmission line issues. Operating from their backup tower. Should be fixed later today.
Thanks for the info!
post #4032 of 4351 Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Really? Noticed nothing unusual on my end. Signal meter on my Zenith DTT-900 is in the 85%-90% range, same as before.

EDIT: WOIO (RF10) has gone off the air at least three times this week for about 3-4 minutes. Is their transmitter dying?

post #4033 of 4351 Old 06-27-2014, 07:07 PM

WEWS back to full power on main tower as of about 4pm Friday.
post #4034 of 4351 Old 06-27-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Speaking does Disney own Channel 6 (the former WDBO when I was there) in Orlando?

No, it's owned by Post-Newsweek Stations, and its call letters are now WKMG, for Katherine Meyer Graham, the Washington Post publisher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKMG-TV
post #4035 of 4351 Old 06-28-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
WEWS back to full power on main tower as of about 4pm Friday.
Checked around 4:30 and everything was back to normal on the spectrum analyzer and 3 green bars on the HD Homerun box.
post #4036 of 4351 Old 06-28-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can't receive WOIO AT ALL!

Currently my indoor amplified HD antenna will pick up 18 stations; I have it positioned on the second floor pointing SW out a window. I live on the east side of Cleveland, Willowick Ohio. WOIO is the only station that will not show up at all, do I have to keep re-positioning over and over for just one more station? I've also done the re-scan and manual input of the station number, still won't show up.
post #4037 of 4351 Old 06-28-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWaze View Post
Currently my indoor amplified HD antenna will pick up 18 stations; I have it positioned on the second floor pointing SW out a window. I live on the east side of Cleveland, Willowick Ohio. WOIO is the only station that will not show up at all, do I have to keep re-positioning over and over for just one more station? I've also done the re-scan and manual input of the station number, still won't show up.
You are probably in the same boat as another member that posts here.

The problem is interference with CFPL from London, Ontario. Both WOIO and CFPL broadcast digitally on the same RF channel which is VHF 10. Because both stations are relatively close to one another, WOIO must null it's signal towards the north-east (in your direction) in order to prevent interference to CFPL. Because VHF TV signals travel great distances over the lake, it is likely that interference from CFPL is degrading your reception of WOIO. Try aiming your antenna to the north, can you receive CFPL?

Outdoor rooftop antennas are usually the best solution for weak signals, but going that route may not work for you as it can do nothing for WOIO or receive CFPL instead. Also, is your indoor antenna a combo VHF/UHF unit? You must have a VHF capable antenna to reliability receive WOIO and WJW (RF 8).

WOIO coverage map
CFPL coverage map

post #4038 of 4351 Old 06-28-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:

I had the same problem as you with WOIO here in Euclid - I started out with an amplified indoor antenna in the springtime, but when summer came I couldn't pick up WOIO with that indoor antenna. We ended up getting a rooftop one, but still have difficulties (especially these past two weeks) getting WOIO during the summer months. If it's any consolation, you'll have much better luck getting the channel in the other three seasons.....sorry I couldn't be any more help.

On a brighter note, often when we can't get WOIO here, we ARE able to get WTOL out of Toledo - RF and display channels are 11.1 & 11.2. You might try a manual scan for that one.

Here are the channel listings for both Detroit and Toledo (RF is the number you need to manually scan and the digital display is the channel number that is displayed on your TV) - have fun searching!

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...arket&mktid=90

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...arket&mktid=14..

post #4039 of 4351 Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbclev View Post
No, it's owned by Post-Newsweek Stations, and its call letters are now WKMG, for Katherine Meyer Graham, the Washington Post publisher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKMG-TV

My bad, thought I read somewhere the the call meant Kingdom MaGic with the Disney affiliation, I also thought it went directly from WDBO, where their jingle was 'We're Solid 6' in the late 70's & early 80's. Was not down there much after '81.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 06-30-2014 at 08:52 AM.
post #4040 of 4351 Old 06-30-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are probably in the same boat as another member that posts here.

The problem is interference with CFPL from London, Ontario. Both WOIO and CFPL broadcast digitally on the same RF channel which is VHF 10. Because both stations are relatively close to one another, WOIO must null it's signal towards the north-east (in your direction) in order to prevent interference to CFPL. Because VHF TV signals travel great distances over the lake, it is likely that interference from CFPL is degrading your reception of WOIO. Try aiming your antenna to the north, can you receive CFPL?

Outdoor rooftop antennas are usually the best solution for weak signals, but going that route may not work for you as it can do nothing for WOIO or receive CFPL instead. Also, is your indoor antenna a combo VHF/UHF unit? You must have a VHF capable antenna to reliability receive WOIO and WJW (RF 8).

WOIO coverage map
CFPL coverage map
& That would be me?? ... I'll be back later on this!

Quote:
Really? Noticed nothing unusual on my end. Signal meter on my Zenith DTT-900 is in the 85%-90% range, same as before.

EDIT: WOIO (RF10) has gone off the air at least three times this week for about 3-4 minutes. Is their transmitter dying?
Perhaps you are experiencing ducting also snowdog? I was looking at the maps ... SHAME ON WOIO for their coverage up in Lake & Ashtabula County, seems Canada is more well protected from WOIO than we are from CFPL, what I don't understand is that void on the southern end of the lake for CFPL... too low? & picks up on the elevation here?

Quote:
18 individual channels or all with subs? I get 20-26 with an outdoor (or at least used to before Memorial day weekend). WOIO was fairly reliable on the outdoor antenna with occasional downtime in the summer due to ducting (or interference from CFPL).. on the attic antenna WOIO is in around only 60-70% of the time during the summer, & I'm a bit far east for WTOL 11. As Newbie said, 11 can be your secondary CBS market, though I only caught it once last week, Ironically WOIO was not coming in also on that day.

Surprise you get 8 in, that's another strange animal for me.

BTW I know someone in Wickliffe that has tried indoor antennas with no luck, Curious about your make & model of your antenna, & is it in a window?

As my Outdoor antenna has been recently 'compromised', I have a set of cheap Rabbit Ears on my downstairs set, I expected I may get 5 or 61, but to my surprise I only get in WUAB (very low signal but watchable most of the time), I don't think the OTA tuners in the newer sets are quite up to snuff anymore, as it's expected that everyone should have cable.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 06-30-2014 at 09:14 AM.
post #4041 of 4351 Old 07-01-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Newbie View Post
I had the same problem as you with WOIO here in Euclid - I started out with an amplified indoor antenna in the springtime, but when summer came I couldn't pick up WOIO with that indoor antenna. We ended up getting a rooftop one, but still have difficulties (especially these past two weeks) getting WOIO during the summer months. If it's any consolation, you'll have much better luck getting the channel in the other three seasons.....sorry I couldn't be any more help.

On a brighter note, often when we can't get WOIO here, we ARE able to get WTOL out of Toledo - RF and display channels are 11.1 & 11.2. You might try a manual scan for that one.

Here are the channel listings for both Detroit and Toledo (RF is the number you need to manually scan and the digital display is the channel number that is displayed on your TV) - have fun searching!

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...arket&mktid=90

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...arket&mktid=14..

I grew up in Euclid. CFPL (analog) came in like a local every summer. When WOIO announced it was going to be digital on RF Ch. 10 I thought to myself "what are they smoking?" Who in their right minds would put anything on RF 10 as long as CFPL is there right across the lake with no ground clutter and Lake Erie to reflect the signal to the eastern lakefront.
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #4042 of 4351 Old 07-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you are experiencing ducting also snowdog? I was looking at the maps ... SHAME ON WOIO for their coverage up in Lake & Ashtabula County, seems Canada is more well protected from WOIO than we are from CFPL, what I don't understand is that void on the southern end of the lake for CFPL... too low? & picks up on the elevation here?
No, WOIO has been randomly going off the air for a few minutes. When it happens, I check my Zenith converter box and there is no bar on the signal meter. It actually went out last night around 10:35-10:40 during the season premiere of Under The Dome. If my outdoor antenna was pointed towards Akron, I would have tuned into their repeater. Once in a while 19.2 goes out for a few moments but the channel is just broadcasting dead air and 19.1 still has a picture.

And then there are other times WOIO breaks up once every 10-30 seconds. I don't think it's related to CFPL as the signal bar just drops from 90ish percent down to 55 percent and then slowly makes it's way back up to 90. I think their transmitter is on it's way out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
I grew up in Euclid. CFPL (analog) came in like a local every summer. When WOIO announced it was going to be digital on RF Ch. 10 I thought to myself "what are they smoking?" Who in their right minds would put anything on RF 10 as long as CFPL is there right across the lake with no ground clutter and Lake Erie to reflect the signal to the eastern lakefront.
Makes me wish that WOIO should have grabbed RF34 before WQHS did.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 07-01-2014 at 04:49 PM.
post #4043 of 4351 Old 07-01-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
The digital channels were assigned by the FCC. There wasn't a channel pool and WQHS got to channel 34 first, WQHS was assigned channel 34 and WOIO was assigned channel 10.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4044 of 4351 Old 07-01-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
My bad, thought I read somewhere the the call meant Kingdom MaGic with the Disney affiliation, I also thought it went directly from WDBO, where their jingle was 'We're Solid 6' in the late 70's & early 80's. Was not down there much after '81.

As stated in the Wikipedia entry, channel 6's call letters went from WDBO to WCPX, in anticipation of being bought by Columbia Pictures (hence the CPX for "Columbia PiX"), but that transaction fell through, although the WCPX call letters stood for 16 years.
post #4045 of 4351 Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The digital channels were assigned by the FCC. There wasn't a channel pool and WQHS got to channel 34 first, WQHS was assigned channel 34 and WOIO was assigned channel 10.

- Trip
I wonder who at the FCC thought Ch. 10 was viable for Cleveland? In theory at 110 miles CFPL should not be a factor, however when you factor in 60 miles of Lake Erie which makes a dandy reflector, add a touch of tropo and CFPL becomes a local for the northeast side of the Cleveland DMA. BTW: CFPL was a "local" for northeast Ashtabula County, OH without any help from tropo.

Ch. 10 should have gone to Columbus, which already had a Ch. 10 analog.

It appears to me that the reason WOIO was assigned a VHF frequency was due to CBS losing Ch. 8 to FOX. Yes I know The FCC would never take that into account, but it sure seemed suspicious. As a long time TV-DX'er since I was 5 years old when I first laid eyes on CFPL I can tell you no VHF channel was available outside of 3, 5 & 8. Ch. 6 was the most likely but even that one had a nearby Canadian signal (From Paris, Ontario).

Last edited by Michael P 2341; 07-02-2014 at 09:25 AM.
post #4046 of 4351 Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I wonder who at the FCC thought Ch. 10 was viable for Cleveland?
Computer software did.

Quote:
In theory at 110 miles CFPL should not be a factor, however when you factor in 60 miles of Lake Erie which makes a dandy reflector, add a touch of tropo and CFPL becomes a local for the northeast side of the Cleveland DMA. BTW: CFPL was a "local" for northeast Ashtabula County, OH without any help from tropo.
Ashtabula County is almost entirely outside of WOIO's protected contour. No surprise that interference there didn't cause the allotment to be rejected.

Quote:
Ch. 10 should have gone to Columbus, which already had a Ch. 10 analog.
Uh, you can't have an analog and a digital on the same frequency on the same tower. The two would destroy each other with interference.

Quote:
It appears to me that the reason WOIO was assigned a VHF frequency was due to CBS losing Ch. 8 to FOX. Yes I know The FCC would never take that into account, but it sure seemed suspicious.
Definitely not a deciding factor.

Quote:
As a long time TV-DX'er since I was 5 years old when I first laid eyes on CFPL I can tell you no VHF channel was available outside of 3, 5 & 8. Ch. 6 was the most likely but even that one had a nearby Canadian signal (From Paris, Ontario).
The real question is, what frequencies WOULD have been available during the transition besides 10?

2 WKYC-DT
3 WKYC
4 Maybe?
5 WEWS
6 Maybe?
7 WTRF
8 WJW
9 WTOV
10 (Channel in question)
11 Maybe?
12 WICU/WMFD-DT
13 CKCO/WSYX-DT
14 Land Mobile/CITS-2/WCMH-DT
15 WEWS-DT
16 CHWI/WSEE-DT
17 WDLI/WTOL-DT
18 Land Mobile/CICO-18
19 WOIO/WTVG-DT
20 CJMT-1/WFMJ-DT
21 WFMJ/WBNS-DT
22 CIII-22/WFXP-DT
23 WVPX
24 WJET/WSFJ-DT
25 WVIZ
26 WVIZ-DT
27 WKBN
28 WUAB-DT
29 CIII-29/WGTE-DT
30 WBNX-DT
31 WJW-DT
32 WTRF-DT
33 WYTV
34 WQHS-DT
35 WSEE/WOUC-DT
36 WYTV-DT/WTTE-DT
37 Radio Astronomy
38 WOSU-DT (Interference due to WDLI-DT)
39 WDLI-DT
40 (Interference due to WDLI-DT)
41 WKBN-DT
42 CKCO-3/WGGN-DT
43 WUAB
44 WOUC
45 WNEO
46 WNEO-DT/WUPW-DT
47 WOAC-DT
48 (Interference due to WOAC-DT/WEAO)
49 WEAO/WNWO-DT
50 WEAO-DT/WQLN-DT
51 CHCH-2 (Interference due to WEAO-DT)
52 WGGN/WICU-DT
53 (Interference due to WGGN)
54 WQLN
55 WBNX
56 Maybe?
57 WTOV-DT
58 WJET-DT
59 CICO-59/WVPX-DT

I left out 60-69 because the FCC wasn't letting stations request channels in that range. The FCC also set a high bar for allowing stations to move from an in-core (2-51) channel up to 52-59, so assuming WTOV-DT didn't cause too many problems, 56 was probably still out of bounds. That leaves 4 and 6 and 11, and I'm not sure any of those channels would be any better. There certainly were no openings on UHF.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4047 of 4351 Old 07-02-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wonder who at the FCC thought Ch. 10 was viable for Cleveland? In theory at 110 miles CFPL should not be a factor, however when you factor in 60 miles of Lake Erie which makes a dandy reflector, add a touch of tropo and CFPL becomes a local for the northeast side of the Cleveland DMA. BTW: CFPL was a "local" for northeast Ashtabula County, OH without any help from tropo.

Ch. 10 should have gone to Columbus, which already had a Ch. 10 analog. .
That was a strange decision.... thought WOIO wanted the Hi VHF real estate.

To call 10 a local up here, I didn't think so, I never was able to pick it up under normal conditions, during tropo on the other hand, & with a rotor at the same time, yes it coud be. Perhaps the antenna height, a ham op with a tower around the corner always came in for him.

I have never picked up CFPL-D (even experimenting with a rotor here) both signals seem to null each other out.... as I said West is Best & all roads lead to Akron, during ducting here we now lose more than we gain to the northeast!

Actually how far is London from upper Lake County?

Last edited by Bismarck440; 07-02-2014 at 10:08 AM.
post #4048 of 4351 Old 07-02-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Computer software did.

Ashtabula County is almost entirely outside of WOIO's protected contour. No surprise that interference there didn't cause the allotment to be rejected.

- Trip

We are losing our war against computers as we make the mistake of assuming they never make a mistake!

Mad Magazine 1974

Yet Ashtabula County is in the Cleveland DMA.
post #4049 of 4351 Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh, you can't have an analog and a digital on the same frequency on the same tower. The two would destroy each other with interference.

- Trip
What I meant was that the Columbus Ch. 10 (WBNS?) could have flash-cut to Ch. 10 the way WJW did in Ch. 8. Of course WBNS would have needed a transition assignment like WJW's 31.

I never understood how some stations were able to keep their pre-transition RF channel while others were blocked.

WOIO should have gone back to Ch. 19 before WYFX-LD grabbed it.

Last edited by Michael P 2341; 07-02-2014 at 10:13 AM.
post #4050 of 4351 Old 07-02-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
We are losing our war against computers as we make the mistake of assuming they never make a mistake!
The computer did what it was told to do, which was to find a second channel between 2 and 59 for each station that matched its current (in 1997) coverage as closely as possible without causing excessive interference to other surrounding stations, and if not enough channels were available, it was allowed to spill into 60-69.

Quote:
Yet Ashtabula County is in the Cleveland DMA.
There are plenty of cases like that across the country. Many of them are served by translators, but definitely not all.

Quote:
What I meant was that the Columbus Ch. 10 (WBNS?) could have flash-cut to Ch. 10 the way WJW did in Ch. 8. Of course WBNS would have needed a transition assignment like WJW's 31.

I never understood how some stations were able to keep their pre-transition RF channel while others were blocked.

WOIO should have gone back to Ch. 19 before WYFX-LD grabbed it.
As I'm sure I've said here before, WOIO could not have gone back to 19 because it would have interfered with WFMJ-DT on 20. If WBNS had gone back to 10 instead of staying on 21, 21 wouldn't be available either and for the same reason.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page