post #4051 of 4403 Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
To call 10 a local up here, I didn't think so, I never was able to pick it up under normal conditions, during tropo on the other hand, & with a rotor at the same time, yes it coud be. Perhaps the antenna height, a ham op with a tower around the corner always came in for him.

Actually how far is London from upper Lake County?
In 1960 I was watching CFPL using a single wire with a round plastic disc on the end. the wire and disc sat on the floor. This was using a Zenith "Space Command" 21" B&W TV (brand new in '60). Lake Erie was so close you could sometimes smell it, I was just a few houses down off the south side of Lake Shore Blvd. by the hi-rise apartment buildings. I had a friend in Willoughby who got Toledo 11 & 13 alot, he was on the hill just south of Euclid Ave.

I was also able to get 2 Ch. 11's and 2 Ch. 13's at the same time! I found these stations by observing that the picture and sound did not match. Turning the fine tuning (which had defined stop points unlike later TV that turned forever) I was able to get a Toledo station at one stop point and a Canadian station at the opposite direction's stop point. In the middle it was picture from one station audio form the other. Years late I would learn about channel offsets for video carriers (which was the reason there was a fine tuning knob in the first place). That still did not explain the ability to get both audio carriers, which were not offset. (FM capture ratio, perhaps?) Zenith TV's "Click Tuners" had the best sensitivity.

CFPL is 110 miles from Cleveland proper. As you travel northeast along the lake shore you get closer, but by how much I don't know. London appears to be due north of the OH/PA border. My uncle who lived in Conneaut got CFPL full time, as well as WICU Ch. 12 from Erie. He told me one year when sun spots were high instead of Erie he got Chicago.

Last edited by Michael P 2341; 07-02-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4403 Old 07-02-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Trip, according to the allocation map on your site, RF33 is probably the only other channel available in the Cleveland market for a full power broadcast. The signal would have to be nulled heavily to the north to protect CICO-59 in Chatham/Kent, also on RF33. If WOIO really wanted to get off of RF10, they could move there using a similar coverage area. The end result would be little-to-no interference from CICO-59.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4053 of 4403 Old 07-02-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Trip, according to the allocation map on your site, RF33 is probably the only other channel available in the Cleveland market for a full power broadcast. The signal would have to be nulled heavily to the north to protect CICO-59 in Chatham/Kent, also on RF33. If WOIO really wanted to get off of RF10, they could move there using a similar coverage area. The end result would be little-to-no interference from CICO-59.
There's that 'nulled heavily to the north' phrase again, sure there is another underlying reason why not, northeast or northwest null?
post #4054 of 4403 Old 07-02-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I wrote this about WOIO back in 2009.

https://ohiomediawatch.wordpress.com...nd-digital-tv/

Even if there wasn't a freeze on digital TV channel changes while waiting for the incentive auction next year, I somehow doubt Canada would sign off on a channel 33 right in Cleveland, even with a heavy null.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4055 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Even if there wasn't a freeze on digital TV channel changes while waiting for the incentive auction next year, I somehow doubt Canada would sign off on a channel 33 right in Cleveland, even with a heavy null.
I presume this freeze is why WJW's move to RF 31 has been held up. How soon after their application did this happen?
post #4056 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
In 1960 I was watching CFPL using a single wire with a round plastic disc on the end. the wire and disc sat on the floor. This was using a Zenith "Space Command" 21" B&W TV (brand new in '60). Lake Erie was so close you could sometimes smell it, I was just a few houses down off the south side of Lake Shore Blvd. by the hi-rise apartment buildings. I had a friend in Willoughby who got Toledo 11 & 13 alot, he was on the hill just south of Euclid Ave.

I was also able to get 2 Ch. 11's and 2 Ch. 13's at the same time! I found these stations by observing that the picture and sound did not match. Turning the fine tuning (which had defined stop points unlike later TV that turned forever) I was able to get a Toledo station at one stop point and a Canadian station at the opposite direction's stop point. In the middle it was picture from one station audio form the other. Years late I would learn about channel offsets for video carriers (which was the reason there was a fine tuning knob in the first place). That still did not explain the ability to get both audio carriers, which were not offset. (FM capture ratio, perhaps?) Zenith TV's "Click Tuners" had the best sensitivity.

CFPL is 110 miles from Cleveland proper. As you travel northeast along the lake shore you get closer, but by how much I don't know. London appears to be due north of the OH/PA border. My uncle who lived in Conneaut got CFPL full time, as well as WICU Ch. 12 from Erie. He told me one year when sun spots were high instead of Erie he got Chicago.
There is a part of me that misses the days of analog TV. I know digital is better with picture clarity and diginets, but there is just something nice about having an old fashioned flip dial TV that requires you to flip through every channel in order to reach the desired channel. I remember being a kid (I'm only 30 years old now) and having an old analog flip dial TV in my bedroom, and it would be so exciting during times of tropospheric ducting or e-skip when the dial would be full of channels. Digital TV has taken away a lot of that potential. I went to some garage sales a couple weeks ago and purchased this small retro TV to remind me of those days...

OTA Newbie likes this.
post #4057 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I went to some garage sales a couple weeks ago and purchased this small retro TV to remind me of those days...

Not to mention...you have it tuned to MeTV to remind you of those days as well. Tune into WAOH-LP 29 analog for added static reminder.
post #4058 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
I presume this freeze is why WJW's move to RF 31 has been held up. How soon after their application did this happen?
WJW's move was petitioned for in February 2011. The freeze took effect in April or May of 2011.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4059 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WJW's move was petitioned for in February 2011. The freeze took effect in April or May of 2011.
Yipes.

Is 31 a non-starter anyway for being above 30? How is that playing out? And that's not even counting WBNX's filing against WJW at 31.

Oddly enough, it's no longer a personal problem. Since moving nearly a year ago, I get WJW OTA on RF 8 with no problems...
post #4060 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There is a part of me that misses the days of analog TV. I know digital is better with picture clarity and diginets, but there is just something nice about having an old fashioned flip dial TV that requires you to flip through every channel in order to reach the desired channel. I remember being a kid (I'm only 30 years old now) and having an old analog flip dial TV in my bedroom, and it would be so exciting during times of tropospheric ducting or e-skip when the dial would be full of channels. Digital TV has taken away a lot of that potential. I went to some garage sales a couple weeks ago and purchased this small retro TV to remind me of those days...

You can still DX Digital TV, in fact digital adds a dimension to the hobby. Thanks to PSIP data you can see information about that distant signal even if you never get to see a legal ID. Search the net, there are various sites where DX'ers have posted screen shots. The only thing missing is the lack of low band VHF, which was the best place to get long DX (up to 1,000 miles) especially on Ch. 2 (perhaps 3 and 4 as well, but with out having a 3 it blocked some catches). I remember watching Ch. 3 and seeing some interference in the picture. That was an indication that skip was up and usually there was something on 2 and/or 4.
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #4061 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is something like that worth?

I still have an RCA AC129W 12" set from '78, very light use, still displays a crisp B&W Picture (I have used this set as a backup teamed with the Zenith DT900 in between the flat screen blowups ... as recently as a couple summers ago)

It was out the last time the Antenna crashed as a test to see if it was the tuner on my Sylvania, was able to pick up 13 analog (Toledo) without an antenna using the single stick antenna attached)

I used to have a B&W GE 1961 17" (Died in 1978... see above)model (Violet & Cream case), you could park the knob in between stations & at times you had to for decent reception.

Quote:
You can still DX Digital TV, in fact digital adds a dimension to the hobby. Thanks to PSIP data you can see information about that distant signal even if you never get to see a legal ID. Search the net, there are various sites where DX'ers have posted screen shots. The only thing missing is the lack of low band VHF, which was the best place to get long DX (up to 1,000 miles) especially on Ch. 2 (perhaps 3 and 4 as well, but with out having a 3 it blocked some catches). I remember watching Ch. 3 and seeing some interference in the picture. That was an indication that skip was up and usually there was something on 2 and/or 4.
I havent much luck digital DX'ing up here too much nulling out by the lake. I saw a few days ago a strong band of tropo coming up from as far as Southern Texas, it can stay for hours or pass within a few minutes.... farthest confirmed catch was Dallas, possibly audio from 4 out of Tucson, usually all on 4.

I see August 18th is the date set for Grit on 43.3 & Escape on 61.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
Yipes.

Is 31 a non-starter anyway for being above 30? How is that playing out? And that's not even counting WBNX's filing against WJW at 31.

Oddly enough, it's no longer a personal problem. Since moving nearly a year ago, I get WJW OTA on RF 8 with no problems...
West is best & all roads lead to Akron, WJW is problamatic for me, but WOIO seemed to shun off the problem to the northheast, while providing Akron with a repeater, I think 8 is following suit.

No WOIO last night again.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 07-03-2014 at 11:04 AM.
post #4062 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, WOIO has been randomly going off the air for a few minutes. When it happens, I check my Zenith converter box and there is no bar on the signal meter. It actually went out last night around 10:35-10:40 during the season premiere of Under The Dome. If my outdoor antenna was pointed towards Akron, I would have tuned into their repeater. Once in a while 19.2 goes out for a few moments but the channel is just broadcasting dead air and 19.1 still has a picture.

And then there are other times WOIO breaks up once every 10-30 seconds. I don't think it's related to CFPL as the signal bar just drops from 90ish percent down to 55 percent and then slowly makes it's way back up to 90. I think their transmitter is on it's way out.
id.
No, I think something between you & the transmitter, I occasionally get this same problem you describe on 5 & 3 also (total loss of signal intermittantly), with the band being up possibly part of the problem too.

That bar may be relative at 50% on the Zenith box I get a signal, usually at 33% I don't.
post #4063 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 12:38 PM

That old flip dial TV was only $3 at a yard sale. It works perfectly, and it's in good cosmetic condition too. I just hooked up a new digital tuner to it.
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #4064 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I received KDFW/4 analog from Texas once which is 1,049 miles away from me. My farthest catch was KDUH/4 from Scottsbluff, Nebraska at 1,121 miles. Normally WDIV was always received on channel 4 during tropo events. I do remember receiving DX interference on WKYC in the past. Once it was so bad that WKYC was practically unwatchable. I never did figure out what the interfering channel was.

I used to get a solid signal of WCDN-LD here at my house, but within the last few years I either get nothing or constantly pixelated picture. Anyway, when WCDN did come in, I would always reference that channel for signs of tropo since WCDN would break-up or not come in at all due to interference from WJBK. I would then check all the channels (usually 11 & 13 first) for any available signals.
OTA Newbie likes this.

post #4065 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I received KDFW/4 analog from Texas once which is 1,049 miles away from me. My farthest catch was KDUH/4 from Scottsbluff, Nebraska at 1,121 miles. Normally WDIV was always received on channel 4 during tropo events. I do remember receiving DX interference on WKYC in the past. Once it was so bad that WKYC was practically unwatchable. I never did figure out what the interfering channel was.

I used to get a solid signal of WCDN-LD here at my house, but within the last few years I either get nothing or constantly pixelated picture. Anyway, when WCDN did come in, I would always reference that channel for signs of tropo since WCDN would break-up or not come in at all due to interference from WJBK. I would then check all the channels (usually 11 & 13 first) for any available signals.
My 2 biggest catches were WPBT-TV Ch. 2 Miami and KPRC Ch.2 Houston. Both in the 1980's on a Zenith "click tuner" 25" color set circa 1974. That set was in service until ~'92 with just one major service to keep it working. They don't make 'em like that anymore!
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #4066 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My 2 biggest catches were WPBT-TV Ch. 2 Miami and KPRC Ch.2 Houston. Both in the 1980's on a Zenith "click tuner" 25" color set circa 1974. That set was in service until ~'92 with just one major service to keep it working. They don't make 'em like that anymore!
I used to park it on 4, Would 'drift' between Dallas, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, Miami... & once 2 out of Tulsa (very snowy). For FM a full 5 bar signal on my Pioneer SX-3700 from Cheyanne Rocker KRQU for several hours, better than the locals.

When I started DX ing I was using a '77 Magnavox Touch Tune (which had an adjustment from the presets), though the '85 Mitsubishi was much better!

No one rates OTA tuners anymore for selectivity & sensitivity, (Even ask the Question on AVS & it will dumbfound most) & likely many shortcuts taken in that circuitry recently as were expected to hook to cable.
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #4067 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That old flip dial TV was only $3 at a yard sale. It works perfectly, and it's in good cosmetic condition too. I just hooked up a new digital tuner to it.
That totally Soild state? looks a bit older than mine.

Kind of wondering if there was a cult following to these (Vintage radios command high bucks now for some reason), not that I'd even get my purchase price back ($90-100) if I would decide to part with it, but mine is pretty much like new, original box, & instructions.... if I pitched it there would be an interest I bet!

Anyone in this area aside of Cleveland Antenna do antenna installs?
post #4068 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
West is best & all roads lead to Akron, WJW is problamatic for me, but WOIO seemed to shun off the problem to the northheast, while providing Akron with a repeater, I think 8 is following suit.

No WOIO last night again.
I had problems with WJW just 4 miles away. Same setup. Same Zenith/Insignia CECB. Same amplified indoor antenna.

Moved to my current location in the same city. Farther away from Parma, even. Facing AWAY from the farm. Nearly flawless reception of WJW. Go figure.

Of course "all roads lead to Akron". It's the second largest city in the market, and that doesn't even count the burbs or Canton.
post #4069 of 4403 Old 07-03-2014, 02:35 PM

Speaking of DXing with the old flip dial TVs, I still have dreams about it. I remember every year my family would travel up to Bobs Lake in Ontario, and E-skip was a common occurrence. We had a mid-80s Montgomery Ward 13" flip dial color TV. From my experience, E-skip is easier in rural areas like this because we weren't too close to the overpowering local TV and radio stations. We were located about 50-80 miles from any nearby local market. I remember we could receive Florida and South Carolina quite often. I just remember receiving channel 2 from Miami and 4 from Jacksonville. And tropo would deliver the Syracuse NY stations (channels 3, 5, 9 and 24) 150 miles away just like locals almost every morning.
OTA Newbie likes this.

Last edited by Andrew K; 07-03-2014 at 02:41 PM.
post #4070 of 4403 Old 07-07-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

So I went in to my local Better Box Store.....

I went in to my local Better Box Store over the weekend to inquire on who locally does antenna installs, much to my surprise, these salespeople aren't really hip to what is available OTA or have a misconception of the technology. Many think OTA has been totally gone since 2009.

Their services don't entail Antenna Installs, which I get as that borders construction rather than electronics, I was refered over to another local TV place which hasn't got back to me or returned any calls or E-Mails. I spoke with a Gentleman that I suspect was close to my age & from the area, said he wondered why he still sees antennas on rooftops, as he thought they would no longer work. The Antenna my dad currently uses as an auxullary in the attic come to think of it is from the late 50's or early 60's (never exposed to the elements) & receives stations nearly as well as the new outdoor 'Antennacraft', there is a great misconception that the technology in antennas has changed, where the real technology change was in the TV, or narrowing that down the tuner itself. Even the Cable company in most cases converts the signal to analog, & pipes in a further degraded picture.

I was shown a Amplified set of Rabbit Ears that cost $23, as most of us know these only would work under the right conditions in the correct area......

Off the Sears, where one of the younger salesmen agreed with me (internal antennas just don't work in this area) as he had just returned a top of the line 'Alpha' antenna ($79), as he could not receive one channel on it in the higher elevations of southern Lake County... as he installed this per the directions in a window, I would also suspect that it was likely pointed in the wrong direction too.

The survival of OTA isn't going to go far, & likely commercials such as 'Clear TV' are only frustrating many
post #4071 of 4403 Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I went in to my local Better Box Store over the weekend to inquire on who locally does antenna installs, much to my surprise, these salespeople aren't really hip to what is available OTA or have a misconception of the technology. Many think OTA has been totally gone since 2009.

Their services don't entail Antenna Installs, which I get as that borders construction rather than electronics, I was refered over to another local TV place which hasn't got back to me or returned any calls or E-Mails. I spoke with a Gentleman that I suspect was close to my age & from the area, said he wondered why he still sees antennas on rooftops, as he thought they would no longer work. The Antenna my dad currently uses as an auxullary in the attic come to think of it is from the late 50's or early 60's (never exposed to the elements) & receives stations nearly as well as the new outdoor 'Antennacraft', there is a great misconception that the technology in antennas has changed, where the real technology change was in the TV, or narrowing that down the tuner itself. Even the Cable company in most cases converts the signal to analog, & pipes in a further degraded picture.

I was shown a Amplified set of Rabbit Ears that cost $23, as most of us know these only would work under the right conditions in the correct area......

Off the Sears, where one of the younger salesmen agreed with me (internal antennas just don't work in this area) as he had just returned a top of the line 'Alpha' antenna ($79), as he could not receive one channel on it in the higher elevations of southern Lake County... as he installed this per the directions in a window, I would also suspect that it was likely pointed in the wrong direction too.

The survival of OTA isn't going to go far, & likely commercials such as 'Clear TV' are only frustrating many
Spread the good news about OTA TV to all your family and friends. I have coworkers, family, and friends who all know about free OTA TV. They've found out about it from me, not that terrible infomercial. The Best Buy folks don't have a clue about this technology. To them, everything on TV is a pay service. These workers are just college aged kids paying for their tuition by working at that store. They probably don't give a crap about OTA TV, and aren't taught anything about it in their training.
post #4072 of 4403 Old 07-07-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The best TV antenna installers are Ham Radio operators. See if you know any or know someone who knows one. While Hams cannot "profit" from their hobby, they may be willing to do side jobs "off the bands" i.e. for broadcast TV.
post #4073 of 4403 Old 07-07-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Spread the good news about OTA TV to all your family and friends. I have coworkers, family, and friends who all know about free OTA TV. They've found out about it from me, not that terrible infomercial.
It really seems there is a stigma on 'free TV', no one wannts to hear, even my HOA is aloof to this & is abandoning the cost of maintaining common antennas (in fact they want them removed), they are in disbelief I got 26 channels off that piece of metal... I'd betcha it's a conspiricy! I know of 2 others besides myself going with out cable but really lack the proper antenna setup. I'm surprised antenna installers aren't mailing out propoganda on free TV much like the Pay industry does (& on a daily basis too )

I spent 6 weeks down in Miami as prisoner to 'cable' As I keep off hours & am usually up most of the night, the cable channels were loaded with infomertials... & this was in 2004! With the new Digintes sprouting up its relieving to watch old shows on channels free of this.

Quote:
The Best Buy folks don't have a clue about this technology. To them, everything on TV is a pay service. These workers are just college aged kids paying for their tuition by working at that store. They probably don't give a crap about OTA TV, and aren't taught anything about it in their training.
The gentleman I spoke with was in his 40's perhaps older, seemed interested in what I had to say. I would be more inclined to say they are 'ill informed' or 'kept in the dark', do they get a cut from pay TV??

Quote:
The best TV antenna installers are Ham Radio operators. See if you know any or know someone who knows one. While Hams cannot "profit" from their hobby, they may be willing to do side jobs "off the bands" i.e. for broadcast TV.
Ironically I fall in this catagory, I would need someone likely bonded & insured, I'm not to sure on building construction, heights (though fine once I'm up there), & the condtion of those roofs.... or else (if I had a large enough ladder & a spotter) I'd be up there myself.

the costs I'm hearing is nearly twice what I'd expect to pay, even if I can even get these people to call me back, like they don't want to do installs & basing the hour or 2 of labor on the inflated cost of Pay TV anyway.... I still want an antenna on my roof to spite my HOA though even if the attic setup works, I'm not sure what will happen when I split that signal.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 07-07-2014 at 02:03 PM.
post #4074 of 4403 Old 07-08-2014, 06:03 AM

I've seen a van driving around town with antenna installation services marked on it. Here's the website... http://www.summitantenna.com/

This is what the website says regarding the cost of installation... "
Installation costs can vary, but the basic price for an outside mount, roof-line installation generally costs about $425 to $450."
post #4075 of 4403 Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've seen a van driving around town with antenna installation services marked on it. Here's the website... http://www.summitantenna.com/

This is what the website says regarding the cost of installation... "
Installation costs can vary, but the basic price for an outside mount, roof-line installation generally costs about $425 to $450."

On my search I came across this site, which puts installation average at $225 for this area, (I expected between $200-250, they are on the roof 6 bolts for a tripod, mount, seal, drop the line & ground through the ridge vent.. done)

http://www.redbeacon.com/hg/antenna-installation-cost/

Mr. Antenna did this about 6 years back for $120, (Plus mounted an attic amp).

Guess increased cable costs, supply & demand in this area is driving it up.

Summits site is too advanced for IE8 (??).. all these installers are around Akron... (Medina/Twinsburg ect)
post #4076 of 4403 Old 07-08-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Summits site is too advanced for IE8 (??).. all these installers are around Akron... (Medina/Twinsburg ect)
Website seemed to work fine on my XP machine with IE8, though a little big since my resolution is at 800x600. Have you tried disabling add-ons and clearing your temporary internet files?

----------------

Summit Antenna's channels page needs to be updated. They are missing 23.4, 23.5, 23.6, 53.1 and 61.3. They need to remove 47.4 and change 33.3 to Bounce. And just what the heck is 43.3 The Block? Never heard of it! All I remember was that 43.3 was This TV for about 4 months after moving from 43.2. After that, This moved to 55.3 and 43.3 was later deactivated. Supposedly 43.3 will be reactivated sometime this August and will carry Grit.

post #4077 of 4403 Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Considering that XP is no longer officially supported, it's probably a wise idea to use a browser that still actively gets updates and is compatible with XP.

Even if the website in question isn't broken on IE8, I expect there to be more and more websites that are legitimately broken on IE8, especially those using HTML5 functionality.
post #4078 of 4403 Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
Considering that XP is no longer officially supported, it's probably a wise idea to use a browser that still actively gets updates and is compatible with XP.

Even if the website in question isn't broken on IE8, I expect there to be more and more websites that are legitimately broken on IE8, especially those using HTML5 functionality.
Actually this is 7 Enterprise... I'm getting tired of 'blowing up' the system every year & a half just to keep up with the added flash content needed in 'cool' websites & primarily advertising. Its just nice to be able to read the basics on a website without the 'flair'. ... some sites accomidate this..

Quote:
Website seemed to work fine on my XP machine with IE8, though a little big since my resolution is at 800x600. Have you tried disabling add-ons and clearing your temporary internet files?

----------------

Summit Antenna's channels page needs to be updated. They are missing 23.4, 23.5, 23.6, 53.1 and 61.3. They need to remove 47.4 and change 33.3 to Bounce. And just what the heck is 43.3 The Block? Never heard of it! All I remember was that 43.3 was This TV for about 4 months after moving from 43.2. After that, This moved to 55.3 and 43.3 was later deactivated. Supposedly 43.3 will be reactivated sometime this August and will carry Grit.
Usually I do a wipe of the cache.

43 was called the block years back, they never keep up likely as OTA has such few viewers... unfortunately the best value in TV is free for the asking, yet no one seems to want it.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 07-09-2014 at 08:38 AM.
post #4079 of 4403 Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 PM

Free TV is also available if you set up your own satellite dish to receive unencrypted broadcasts. The only problem is that most of it is religious and foreign language programs. Right now, I have a small dish pointing at the Hispasat satellite located at 30 degrees longitude so I can watch a bunch of Spanish channels from Cuba and South America. I'm trying to learn to speak Spanish. It seems like Spanish programming is becoming more widely available with local channels like Ve-Me, Univision, and the appearance of La Mega 87.7.
post #4080 of 4403 Old 07-09-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just an FYI, that OTA audio problem I was having has been getting more frequent (and yes I did a complete reset of settings, unplugged it, etc), but my father didn't make it clear to me that it only happens when changing the channel or changing the input to antenna. Also it occurs only an hour or two after the TV is on, so more and more it seems like it's a case of the the dolby digital decoder overheating or something - I want to try plugging in a Blu-ray player directly into the TV and see if it does the same thing when decoding a Blu-ray with dolby digital audio.

Off topic:

Quote:
Actually this is 7 Enterprise... I'm getting tired of 'blowing up' the system every year & a half just to keep up with the added flash content needed in 'cool' websites & primarily advertising. Its just nice to be able to read the basics on a website without the 'flair'. ... some sites accommodate this..
Uhh....

I hate to break it to you, but I think you have an incorrect impression of the situation, and that could easily be part of the issue here. Open the below spoiler tag for more info.

Spoiler!

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 07-09-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page