15Likes

post #4081 of 4352 Old 07-09-2014, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
43 was called the block years back, they never keep up likely as OTA has such few viewers... unfortunately the best value in TV is free for the asking, yet no one seems to want it.
I remember 43 (main) as "The Block" between 2002-2005ish. They actually brought the branding back a few years ago as "My 43 The Block". What I was saying was that I never heard of The Block as a subchannel. Perhaps it was suppose to be some kind of independent channel like 55.2?

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4082 of 4352 Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
Just an FYI, that OTA audio problem I was having has been getting more frequent (and yes I did a complete reset of settings, unplugged it, etc), but my father didn't make it clear to me that it only happens when changing the channel or changing the input to antenna. Also it occurs only an hour or two after the TV is on, so more and more it seems like it's a case of the the dolby digital decoder overheating or something - I want to try plugging in a Blu-ray player directly into the TV and see if it does the same thing when decoding a Blu-ray with dolby digital audio.

Off topic:

Uhh....

I hate to break it to you, but I think you have an incorrect impression of the situation, and that could easily be part of the issue here. Open the below spoiler tag for more info.

Spoiler!

Somewhat on topic as it relates to this site, ty for the insight, likely the technology has evolved way past me, I get a nag box in the bottom corner encouraging me to upgrade to Chrome, now an aditional popup box behind that one "Happy Texting" from Sprint. I'm not of the age of smart phones, texting, Ipads ect, the software once worked & worked well here, so why change it?

Understand the browser is seperate of the OS, but much software is no longer compatible with the older OS's as you explained. I still have a laptop with XP, & a machine with actually an older OS. I just detest the new Aero interfaces, & really don't want them.... even if it means not using a PC.

I guess I'm strange, not trashing perfectly good items that work (ie durable goods, electronics, software ect) for something more complicated, that will frustrate me furtherr along than I already am, cheaper non robust items that are prone to glitches & breakdowns... & then feeling good about my decisions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I remember 43 (main) as "The Block" between 2002-2005ish. They actually brought the branding back a few years ago as "My 43 The Block". What I was saying was that I never heard of The Block as a subchannel. Perhaps it was suppose to be some kind of independent channel like 55.2?
Whoever wrote that likely hadn't watched local TV in a while, but why, where there is such great selection on pay TV ... Me thinks they confused Bounce with Block then!

Come to think of it, is 55.2 an indy or as close as we have in the area?

Last edited by Bismarck440; 07-10-2014 at 12:46 PM.
post #4083 of 4352 Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Chrome, Opera, Firefox (and its derivatives like Pale Moon) all work on XP. Also, Chrome and Firefox (don't know about Opera) have automatic background updating which eliminates the "nag" screens and popups saying to update (Pale Moon has this function as well but it's somewhat broken by default unless you manually change some things)

And regarding Aero, you can disable that. Alternatively you can keep Aero enabled but disable transparency.
post #4084 of 4352 Old 07-10-2014, 03:42 PM

Personally I would recommend using Firefox with the Adblock Plus add-on, both free though Adblock Plus does ask for a small donation. No ads means faster load times, less clutter on websites and safer browsing as it greatly reduces the risk of ransomware.

Also, there appears to be a bug in the vB software. I posted the other day but could not view my post. Tried again and it told me that a duplicate posts already exists. Apparently my post ended up on the next page, but vB didn't want to show me the next page just for one post. Bismarck, since you posted after me and quoted my post, I take it that you were able to see it.

post #4085 of 4352 Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 PM

If Pale Moon's auto-update function would work correctly by default, then I'd definitely recommend that over Firefox since it retains a more traditional user interface by default and has major updates at considerably wider intervals (about 1 year) while still receiving regular security updates.
post #4086 of 4352 Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also, there appears to be a bug in the vB software. I posted the other day but could not view my post. Tried again and it told me that a duplicate posts already exists. Apparently my post ended up on the next page, but vB didn't want to show me the next page just for one post. Bismarck, since you posted after me and quoted my post, I take it that you were able to see it.
I note the counter is off, Sometimes I quote copy & re-quote another post to keep the board cleaner. I note the post counter drifts off on here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
Chrome, Opera, Firefox (and its derivatives like Pale Moon) all work on XP. Also, Chrome and Firefox (don't know about Opera) have automatic background updating which eliminates the "nag" screens and popups saying to update (Pale Moon has this function as well but it's somewhat broken by default unless you manually change some things)

And regarding Aero, you can disable that. Alternatively you can keep Aero enabled but disable transparency.
I may install that Pale Moon on my laptop once I get it back to where I want it, but again my OS's on my main machine are so old, newer browsers can't be installed, as for this machine, not mine & therefore I will not install anything on it. My Vista Machine has locked me out of administrator priviliges, thus can't do many things on it... HP & Vista Giving you control of the PC!?!?... yeah right!!

I have Aero disabled on 7, but I think that you are forced to it on Vista & 8, I resisted a cell phone till mid 2012, If I have to 'upgrade' to one of these smart touch screens, I'll just not have it anymore.

BTW... no fireup date on 61-2 & 43-3, as they are set to start 8/18?
post #4087 of 4352 Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Free TV is also available if you set up your own satellite dish to receive unencrypted broadcasts. The only problem is that most of it is religious and foreign language programs. Right now, I have a small dish pointing at the Hispasat satellite located at 30 degrees longitude so I can watch a bunch of Spanish channels from Cuba and South America. I'm trying to learn to speak Spanish. It seems like Spanish programming is becoming more widely available with local channels like Ve-Me, Univision, and the appearance of La Mega 87.7.
Remem the FTA area of the thread, I see a few people mounting dishes on trees, that feasable & you still have to have a clear shot SW for this area?

I'm taking this here is pie in the sky?

http://www.satpro.tv/Complete-FTA-Sa...FbRj7Aodx3IABw

Would I ve able to get any Networks? (I assume just PBS, like SC Educational TV) .
post #4088 of 4352 Old 07-11-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
BTW... no fireup date on 61-2 & 43-3, as they are set to start 8/18?
WQHS will probably wait until the last minute to activate 62.2. WUAB maybe sooner as I remember seeing a test pattern on 43.3 when it was first activated for This TV.

Quote:
Remem the FTA area of the thread, I see a few people mounting dishes on trees, that feasable & you still have to have a clear shot SW for this area?

I'm taking this here is pie in the sky?

http://www.satpro.tv/Complete-FTA-Sa...FbRj7Aodx3IABw

Would I ve able to get any Networks? (I assume just PBS, like SC Educational TV) .
From what I hear, mostly religious and foreign networks. I've also heard (though not confirmed) that you can pickup some diginet feeds such as Me-TV and This TV.

post #4089 of 4352 Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
On FTA satellite, the only American network channels you can watch that aren't scrambled are the PBS stations at 125 degrees west longitude. That means, if you have a clear view looking southwest, you're good for 125 degrees west... Create, PBS East, PBS West, OETA (Oklahoma), and Montana PBS. The satellites are typically 20-45 degrees above the horizon here in Ohio.

At 87 degrees west, you can watch Louisiana PBS and its subchannel LPB2. I think the Pentagon Channel is at 101 degrees west. The English version of the Chinese CCTV is on 95 west. RT news (RT) is on 97 west. I think Retro TV is still on 83 west. There's some NBC feeds on 72 west, but to get all these channels at different satellites, you would need a motorized dish.

Last I checked, Me-TV and This TV are on C-band, which means you need one of those ridiculously large dishes to receive these. Another important fact if you're considering it... you need a receiver capable of DVB-S2 if you want to watch the PBS channels.
post #4090 of 4352 Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WEAO/49 is off, entirely.
post #4091 of 4352 Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
CFPL briefly received

At around 10:05 PM, WOIO (RF 10) went off the air for about 1 minute, in its place suddenly appeared CFPL 10.1 (and the virtual channel display changed from 19 to 10). It was rock solid, no breakups at all (and I'm 25 miles south of the lake shore). It suddenly dissapeared, and WOIO was back.

Surprised it would be so strong. There doesn't seem to be much tropo tonight - none of the usual tropo suspects are there (WFXP, WJET, WKBN, WTOL, etc.).
post #4092 of 4352 Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
WEAO/49 is off, entirely.
No 49 for me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
At around 10:05 PM, WOIO (RF 10) went off the air for about 1 minute, in its place suddenly appeared CFPL 10.1 (and the virtual channel display changed from 19 to 10). It was rock solid, no breakups at all (and I'm 25 miles south of the lake shore). It suddenly dissapeared, and WOIO was back.

Surprised it would be so strong. There doesn't seem to be much tropo tonight - none of the usual tropo suspects are there (WFXP, WJET, WKBN, WTOL, etc.).
I'm getting a somewhat degraded signal of WOIO as of now. No breakups, just a lower than normal bar on the signal strength meter. Definitely a sign of CFPL interference. As I noted earlier, WOIO (RF10) has been randomly going off air lately for a few minutes. Usually I don't see any indication that CFPL would be receivable. Had I caught it at the time while you were watching, I would probably seen at least a blip from CFPL. (My antenna is not aimed to the north).

EDIT: Is WCDN off the air also? I'm not even getting anything on their RF channel.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 07-11-2014 at 08:20 PM.
post #4093 of 4352 Old 07-11-2014, 08:46 PM

Still, why would a Big-4 network affiliate be given such a poor assignment by the FCC (and originally 3.5 kW to boot), with all the religious, infomercial, and other minor stations being given prime UHF assignments with decent power levels and sufficient spacing to co-channel stations. Or was it just assumed that WOIO would be able to go back to 19 (i.e. that WFMJ would not end up on 20) with a decent power level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341
I wonder who at the FCC thought Ch. 10 was viable for Cleveland?
Computer software did
- Trip

Last edited by nsa1062; 07-11-2014 at 08:51 PM.
post #4094 of 4352 Old 07-11-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I may install that Pale Moon on my laptop once I get it back to where I want it
Since I've determined that my OTA audio issues seem to not be related to the actual OTA signals, I'm going to unsubscribe from following this thread. Therefore feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions, issues, etc regarding web browser stuff. Pale Moon-wise, you can also ask on the Pale Moon forum, the main developer is a nice guy.
post #4095 of 4352 Old 07-12-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No 49 for me either.

I'm getting a somewhat degraded signal of WOIO as of now. No breakups, just a lower than normal bar on the signal strength meter. Definitely a sign of CFPL interference. As I noted earlier, WOIO (RF10) has been randomly going off air lately for a few minutes. Usually I don't see any indication that CFPL would be receivable. Had I caught it at the time while you were watching, I would probably seen at least a blip from CFPL. (My antenna is not aimed to the north).

EDIT: Is WCDN off the air also? I'm not even getting anything on their RF channel.
49's outage is noted on the WRPBS website. They're supposedly working on it.

http://westernreservepublicmedia.org/
post #4096 of 4352 Old 07-14-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I was watching Route 66 around 3AM on Me, I watched as WOIO's signal went from 70 down to less than 30 (which yeilds no signal), on the other hand at the same time WVPX was over coming in at 90-95% & the Jesus Channel was @ 80% ... funny about 49, at this time was only around 20%. This was Via the Zenith 900 & the Attic antenna.

As close as I am, I haven't seen CFPL D, I imagine they null each other out under these conditions.

Quote:
Is WCDN off the air also? I'm not even getting anything on their RF channel.
My Zenith 900 always pauses at RF 7 during a search, yet haven't seen WCDN D since June of 2009... only lasted 1 day.

Quote:
On FTA satellite, the only American network channels you can watch that aren't scrambled are the PBS stations at 125 degrees west longitude. That means, if you have a clear view looking southwest, you're good for 125 degrees west... Create, PBS East, PBS West, OETA (Oklahoma), and Montana PBS. The satellites are typically 20-45 degrees above the horizon here in Ohio.

At 87 degrees west, you can watch Louisiana PBS and its subchannel LPB2. I think the Pentagon Channel is at 101 degrees west. The English version of the Chinese CCTV is on 95 west. RT news (RT) is on 97 west. I think Retro TV is still on 83 west. There's some NBC feeds on 72 west, but to get all these channels at different satellites, you would need a motorized dish.

Last I checked, Me-TV and This TV are on C-band, which means you need one of those ridiculously large dishes to receive these. Another important fact if you're considering it... you need a receiver capable of DVB-S2 if you want to watch the PBS channels.
All I'd want would be the Networks, I was looking at a listing, something like 200 something, I only have a clear shot south if I mount in my patio,, not sure if I can get high enough to get it over my roof. I noted my neighbors have their pay dishes both South & Southwest, some pointed at buildings & trees (??)

Last edited by Bismarck440; 07-14-2014 at 07:54 AM.
post #4097 of 4352 Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
All I'd want would be the Networks, I was looking at a listing, something like 200 something, I only have a clear shot south if I mount in my patio,, not sure if I can get high enough to get it over my roof. I noted my neighbors have their pay dishes both South & Southwest, some pointed at buildings & trees (??)
The small satellite dishes that you would use for FTA and like what Dish Network and DirecTV use are "offset" dishes. That means that the dish could appear as if it's pointing at a building or tree, but yet it's still receiving a signal. The satellite signal actually hits the dish at an angle that comes from above and bounces back to the receiving LNB at an angle. There are apps for smartphones that utilize the camera viewfinder to show you where the satellites are located if you hold the camera up to the sky, so that you can see if you have a clear view.

Last edited by Andrew K; 07-14-2014 at 09:17 AM.
post #4098 of 4352 Old 07-14-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The small satellite dishes that you would use for FTA and like what Dish Network and DirecTV use are "offset" dishes. That means that the dish could appear as if it's pointing at a building or tree, but yet it's still receiving a signal. The satellite signal actually hits the dish at an angle that comes from above and bounces back to the receiving LNB at an angle. There are apps for smartphones that utilize the camera viewfinder to show you where the satellites are located if you hold the camera up to the sky, so that you can see if you have a clear view.

Oh, I can see this is getting way beyond me with the use of those I phones & I'm not close with anyone that has one of those.

I can likely mount it about 12-15 feet from the back of my house & have to get over a 20 foot roof for a west or southwest signal... I see many are pointing them due south, perhaps even a bit southeast.

See what you mean by oblong dishes with the LNB not centered, been walking through my development the dishes are pointed in all different directions.

Edit: Not not only do you have to have a I or smart phone for this application, but also access to the internet I assume?

Last edited by Bismarck440; 07-17-2014 at 09:22 AM.
post #4099 of 4352 Old 07-18-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

WEAO/49 is back on the air (at half power for now) after being off for nearly a week. Getting it fine here in the Akron area...don't know how far 50% is going out.
post #4100 of 4352 Old 07-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wonder what the problem was with 49.
JJK
post #4101 of 4352 Old 07-18-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Edit: Not not only do you have to have a I or smart phone for this application, but also access to the internet I assume?
That's what 3G is for. Pay $30/month for a cheap phone/data plan through a company like Virgin Mobile (which is what I have) and there you have your internet/phone in one. Just find a used iPhone online that no one wants anymore, because they want the latest and greatest iPhone version, and get a cheap cell phone plan without a contract. And then you won't be stuck in the past without all the smartphone apps you could be enjoying.
post #4102 of 4352 Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

49 is back off again. It was on all night through the morning.
post #4103 of 4352 Old 07-18-2014, 06:18 PM

WEAO/49 is back on the air. They must be at full power now because I'm getting a good signal, better then usual.

More interesting is that 49.3 MHz Worldview is now in a 16:9 480i format with a somewhat sharper picture.

post #4104 of 4352 Old 07-19-2014, 07:25 PM

Alright, I'm getting tired of 19.2 cutting off the beginning of shows. First it was their hourly ID kicking in late, now the local commercials are running way too long and chopping off shows returning from break or running right into the next show. WOIO needs to show a little more professionalism on this channel. I'm starting to think that no one at the station watches 19.2 on a regular basis and simply waits until someone from their viewing audience alerts them. Aside from the local commercials running too long, they also take too long to kick in and often shimmy off the return of shows along with glitchy artifacts. Also, the hourly ID is still not right as it starts playing ~.5 seconds ahead of time. It should fade in with a static sound effect instead of starting at "You're watching..."

And please... ENOUGH WITH THE BROWN MACKIE COLLEGE COMMERCIALS!!! EVERY COMMERCIAL BREAK!!! GEEZ...

I think it's time for Me-TV to start looking for a new Cleveland affiliate as WOIO can't correctly operate 19.2. WKYC 3.2 would be a good place to go to, that is, if they are willing to give up their weather channel.

post #4105 of 4352 Old 07-19-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a Question, Can a one line Antenna Install be split to feed a second device next to it? For example say you have one 4 tuner Tablo than has one Antenna Input and you either wanted to add a second 4 Tuner or One Dual Tuner Tablo is that possible
post #4106 of 4352 Old 07-20-2014, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well 49.3 does say 480i 16 x 9 but I get a somewhat squashed picture at 4 x 3.
JJK
PS: Found a menu item that puts the widescrean on into auto which has nothing to do with HD channels.
JJK

Last edited by JJkizak; 07-20-2014 at 01:36 PM.
post #4107 of 4352 Old 07-20-2014, 05:37 AM

MeTV/AntennaTV local automation problems

8.2 also consistently goes to the :15 and :45 minute breaks on Antenna TV shows 2-3 seconds early, clipping part of the show, and at the end of the break you see the last 2-3 seconds of the network commercial before the show resumes. This has been going on for years.

The 19.2 problem with running too many local commercials (or starting the local commercial block late) and usually wiping out the end credits of a show and the first few seconds of the next show has been going on off-and-on since WOIO started carrying MeTV, but I haven't seen it in a long time until last night. It seems to happen frequently at times, then they fix it and it's good for a few months, then it gets messed up again, etc.

Quote:
Alright, I'm getting tired of 19.2 cutting off the beginning of shows. First it was their hourly ID kicking in late, now the local commercials are running way too long and chopping off shows returning from break or running right into the next show. WOIO needs to show a little more professionalism on this channel. I'm starting to think that no one at the station watches 19.2 on a regular basis and simply waits until someone from their viewing audience alerts them. Aside from the local commercials running too long, they also take too long to kick in and often shimmy off the return of shows along with glitchy artifacts. Also, the hourly ID is still not right as it starts playing ~.5 seconds ahead of time. It should fade in with a static sound effect instead of starting at "You're watching..."

Last edited by nsa1062; 07-20-2014 at 06:11 AM. Reason: fix wording
post #4108 of 4352 Old 07-20-2014, 06:02 AM

Weao

It was back at its usual strength in western Medina Co. yesterday morning (after having been gone a week).

As of last night (and today), it is gone again. If it's on, must be at low power.

UPDATE: It's back again, normal signal level.

Quote:
WEAO/49 is back on the air. They must be at full power now because I'm getting a good signal, better then usual.

More interesting is that 49.3 MHz Worldview is now in a 16:9 480i format with a somewhat sharper picture.

Last edited by nsa1062; 07-20-2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Update
post #4109 of 4352 Old 07-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
8.2 also consistently goes to the :15 and :45 minute breaks on Antenna TV shows 2-3 seconds early, clipping part of the show, and at the end of the break you see the last 2-3 seconds of the network commercial before the show resumes. This has been going on for years.
Plus, Antenna TV inserts commercials in places where they weren't meant to be, giving the impression that the show you were watching was suddenly interrupted by a commercial. I wish they would have one long break at the 15 minute mark. And yes, I've seen the commercials kick in to early on 8.2. Maybe I'll send them an email.

post #4110 of 4352 Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 AM

Antenna TV cuts shows to ribbons for extra commercials, while MeTV seems to mostly use digital time compression (editing is minimal for most shows), though the speed-up is variable (and often gets cranked up in scenes with no dialogue and during credits).

All in all, not really complaining, happy that these channels are available and are carried locally. Hope WEWS picks up Cozi when LiveWell goes away.

Quote:
Plus, Antenna TV inserts commercials in places where they weren't meant to be, giving the impression that the show you were watching was suddenly interrupted by a commercial. I wish they would have one long break at the 15 minute mark. And yes, I've seen the commercials kick in to early on 8.2. Maybe I'll send them an email.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page