9Likes

post #4111 of 4131 Old 07-20-2014, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Antenna TV cuts shows to ribbons for extra commercials, while MeTV seems to mostly use digital time compression (editing is minimal for most shows), though the speed-up is variable (and often gets cranked up in scenes with no dialogue and during credits).

All in all, not really complaining, happy that these channels are available and are carried locally. Hope WEWS picks up Cozi when LiveWell goes away.
Noticed the time compression too, and you're right, it mostly happens during the credits and scenes with no dialogue. Not to mention during the theme song at times. One extreme case of time compression is the first episode of Gilligan's Island where everyone is talking fast, and the time compression makes the dialogue much faster, sometimes to the point where I can not understand everything that they are saying.

As for COZI, send WEWS an email asking them to add COZI after LWN shuts down. I sent them a message a while ago asking them to add COZI on 5.3. (This was before LWN decided to shut down). WEWS would probably be the best candidate for COZI since the network currently has an affiliation on 2 E.W. Scrips stations in other markets. You can also try sending an email to WKYC as the network has an affiliation with Gannett stations in Texas.

Toledo, Canton & Youngstown markets have a soft AC station. Cleveland, home of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, does not...
Bring Back Soft Rock 102.1 WDOK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4131 Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
WOIO needs to show a little more professionalism on this channel. I'm starting to think that no one at the station watches 19.2 on a regular basis and simply waits until someone from their viewing audience alerts them.
I bet they all subscribe to cable, & have no interest in or unable to view the channel... as in a latter post I'm just glad these subs are around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
That's what 3G is for. Pay $30/month for a cheap phone/data plan through a company like Virgin Mobile (which is what I have) and there you have your internet/phone in one. Just find a used iPhone online that no one wants anymore, because they want the latest and greatest iPhone version, and get a cheap cell phone plan without a contract. And then you won't be stuck in the past without all the smartphone apps you could be enjoying.
Oh my, I resisted the cell phone until May of '12, when I activated a Razor V3 for emeregency use... now 1200 min a year for around $78 & some change (& I hardly come close to using the minutes).... Had all Data & SMS disabled on the # too as the former owner of the # was a text queen. If I have to go to a touch screen I'll likely give up the phone.

I take a lot of flack about this at times (ie: not having a camera, ability to text ect)... I couldn't catch on to that at this point, nor do I really have a need to anymore.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 07-21-2014 at 09:59 AM.
post #4113 of 4131 Old 07-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I never had a need for a cell phone. Have no one to call. No one to text. I don't really need to call anyone or text anyone. I would have to use glasses to read anything on the viewfinder even with the latest 800 dollar units. The buttons are way too small, my thumb covers three buttons. I don't even know how to turn on or operate a cell phone and I have had extensive schooling in electronics. To me they are just toys.
JJK
post #4114 of 4131 Old 07-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I bet they all subscribe to cable, & have no interest in or unable to view the channel... as in a latter post I'm just glad these subs are around.
Still, Me-TV has the most market coverage and the most viewers then any other digitnet. WOIO makes the network look sloppy when commercials run too long or ID's are partly played.

Most subchannels are carried on cable and usually require a digital cable box. Satellite providers will not carry subs due to bandwidth issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I never had a need for a cell phone. Have no one to call. No one to text. I don't really need to call anyone or text anyone. I would have to use glasses to read anything on the viewfinder even with the latest 800 dollar units. The buttons are way too small, my thumb covers three buttons. I don't even know how to turn on or operate a cell phone and I have had extensive schooling in electronics. To me they are just toys.
JJK
I'm 26, and I have no interest in texting or phones with data plans. I rarely even use my own cell phone.

When Alltel was still around, they offered a pre-paid plan that allowed customers to carry over existing minutes as long as they used at least 1 minute a month. Perfect for me since I only use my cell a few times a month for a few minutes. After Alltel was bought bought by Verizon, phones with those plans were grandfathered and could not be transferred to a new device. I eventually bought a new phone and subscribed to a new Verizon pre-paid plan, but as much as I tried to use the phone, I kept adding $15 a month in order to keep the phone active, and the minutes kept piling up. Eventually I let it run out and switched to my Grandma's old cell phone which still has a grandfathered Alltel pre-paid plan.

Also not to mention Verizon's terrible service. Everywhere I go, I never seem to get more than three bars. Verizon's 3G/4G service is a joke around here. I know a few people that have Verizon's 3G service, and reception is spotty at best. One even lives in a suburb of Cleveland with cell phone towers all over the place, and all he can get is 1 bar for 3G. Now I understand why Verizon got rid of the "can you hear me now?" guy.

Toledo, Canton & Youngstown markets have a soft AC station. Cleveland, home of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, does not...
post #4115 of 4131 Old 07-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

I can see a device with one button that could turn the phone on and dial 911 at the same time. And another button to call a tow truck if the car breaks. My aunt has a pacemaker implant that
monitors all kinds of stuff and sends it to the hospital nearby and that makes a lot of sense to me. Hopefully someone or thing is monitoring it at the hospital. What scares me is watching all the women talking on the cell at stop signs, red lights, left turns, 70 mph on the highway, all while drinking something and talking to the passenger in the front seat. And pray to God that they are focused enough to avoid hitting me and making me real dead. I don't mind dying of a body malfunction but it would be highly offensive from a careless unfocused driver.
JJK
post #4116 of 4131 Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
What scares me is watching all the women talking on the cell at stop signs, red lights, left turns, 70 mph on the highway, all while drinking something and talking to the passenger in the front seat. And pray to God that they are focused enough to avoid hitting me and making me real dead. I don't mind dying of a body malfunction but it would be highly offensive from a careless unfocused driver.
JJK
Amen

Women are apparently very good at that kind of multitasking .... for me I can't even carry on a conversation with a passenger anymore.

Why are they putting TV's in vehicles now & encouraging this behavior?
post #4117 of 4131 Old 07-23-2014, 09:22 AM

WKYC 3.2 is now in a 16x9 format. As I noted earlier, WEAO 49.3 was also converted to 16x9. I wonder if this is a growing trend now that more viewers have a HDTV? Perhaps WKYC has plans to replace their weather with something else? It would be nice if other letter-boxed sub-channels (5.2, 23.5, 23.6 & 25.3) would do the same thing, of course, preserving the 480i resolution.

EDIT 1: Was watching 3.2 and at 4:16 PM and there was a hiccup in the channel. I hit the info button and the channel went back to 4x3. Just prior to that it was at 16x9.

EDIT 2: Went back to 16x9 at 4:29 PM. Apparently they are up to something...

Last edited by snowdog 88; 07-23-2014 at 01:32 PM.
post #4118 of 4131 Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
The WeatherNation network is available in 16:9, and Gannett is running that in several markets. Seems feasible.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4119 of 4131 Old 07-23-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Only problem is if the subs were converted to 16x9, some tuners only let you control the aspect ratio on the main channel, & not the subs. This becomes annoying also on a 1.33 set.

BTW since on this topic how was Seinfield Shot in 16x9 or is it being converted to 16x9? I'm thinking the DVD's were released in 1.33.
post #4120 of 4131 Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Only problem is if the subs were converted to 16x9, some tuners only let you control the aspect ratio on the main channel, & not the subs. This becomes annoying also on a 1.33 set.
I think there's a 16x9 flag that gets sent over on a channel with a 480 picture, so basically any 480 channel with a 16x9 flag will be the same as a stretched 4x3 picture on a 16x9 television. The TV will also be treat that 480 channel as a 16x9 broadcast. I guess this ensures that the viewer is watching a widescreen network on a 480 channel at the correct ratio. QVC on 23.5 should have that flag as the picture looks fine on a HDTV with the stretched setting enabled, but crammed with tall & thin people on the default 4x3 format.

And yes, on my main HDTV, I can not change the picture format for 16x9 broadcasts, so I've have lost the option to do so on 3.2 & 49.3. It's the complete opposite with my Zenith converter box which prevents changing the format on 4x3 channels.

post #4121 of 4131 Old 07-24-2014, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think there's a 16x9 flag that gets sent over on a channel with a 480 picture, so basically any 480 channel with a 16x9 flag will be the same as a stretched 4x3 picture on a 16x9 television. The TV will also be treat that 480 channel as a 16x9 broadcast. I guess this ensures that the viewer is watching a widescreen network on a 480 channel at the correct ratio. QVC on 23.5 should have that flag as the picture looks fine on a HDTV with the stretched setting enabled, but crammed with tall & thin people on the default 4x3 format.

And yes, on my main HDTV, I can not change the picture format for 16x9 broadcasts, so I've have lost the option to do so on 3.2 & 49.3. It's the complete opposite with my Zenith converter box which prevents changing the format on 4x3 channels.
Ditto: I do wish that 3.2 would send the flag only during a 16 x 9 program.
JJK
post #4122 of 4131 Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am new to this forum, new to HDTV and just got a 50" Toshiba. I was using a converter box with an old analog tv and cheap RCA antenna but I got 61.3 GetTV fine. On this new set, using the same antenna I get a lot more channels, 61.1 comes in fine but cannot get 61.3. Can anyone tell me how I can? I've tried re-scanning the channels several times, Googled, etc. Thanks and I hope I am aking this in the right area.
post #4123 of 4131 Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellym View Post
I am new to this forum, new to HDTV and just got a 50" Toshiba. I was using a converter box with an old analog tv and cheap RCA antenna but I got 61.3 GetTV fine. On this new set, using the same antenna I get a lot more channels, 61.1 comes in fine but cannot get 61.3. Can anyone tell me how I can? I've tried re-scanning the channels several times, Googled, etc. Thanks and I hope I am aking this in the right area.
Ellym, when 61.1 added 61.3, on a rescan of physical channel 34, my Westinghouse set added 61.3, but 61.1 is now at 34.3. Could your 61.3 be at 34.5? There is something strange on how 61's transmitter communicates this to the set, not sure if it's because they skipped 61.2.

Wait till August 18th (or a bit before) when 61.2 goes live & do a rescan , not sure if the set may be confused because of the skipped channel.

Or you can try going directly to the physical channel on the digital portion of your tuner... try either 34.5 or 34.3 (the physical main channels start at .3 for some reason in many cases)

I was out last night to meet some friends up from Florida, All were in disbelief that OTA TV still exists, they said it went digital, & could not be picked up by any Television. .... where I had met them they had U-Verse (poor PQ as it may be transmitted in analog), one of the people there said they don't broadcast TV in Florida anymore, & the one living here said that he couldn't get anything because it's digital (yet he had a Samsung Flat Screen). These people are in their upper 40's to upper 60's, & some are highly technical people. Amazing how the pay TV industry did a complete brainwash of the public.
post #4124 of 4131 Old 07-25-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Also not to mention Verizon's terrible service. Everywhere I go, I never seem to get more than three bars. Verizon's 3G/4G service is a joke around here. I know a few people that have Verizon's 3G service, and reception is spotty at best. One even lives in a suburb of Cleveland with cell phone towers all over the place, and all he can get is 1 bar for 3G. Now I understand why Verizon got rid of the "can you hear me now?" guy.
Do you know about *228? Dial it on your Verizon phone and hit option #2 . After it updates the number of bars should increase.

I was just on the road earlier this week. I was down to 1 bar in Tennessee. I dialed *228 and bingo - up to 5 bars! As long as you are in a Verizon territory (I hit an area in Kentucky were I got a "sorry this feature is not available" message, but I had 3-4 bars anyway at that point) *228 opt. 2 should work.

What this feature does is alert all the available towers that your phone is in the area. It's called "updating your roaming capability".
post #4125 of 4131 Old 07-25-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Ellym, when 61.1 added 61.3, on a rescan of physical channel 34, my Westinghouse set added 61.3, but 61.1 is now at 34.3. Could your 61.3 be at 34.5? There is something strange on how 61's transmitter communicates this to the set, not sure if it's because they skipped 61.2.

Wait till August 18th (or a bit before) when 61.2 goes live & do a rescan , not sure if the set may be confused because of the skipped channel.

Or you can try going directly to the physical channel on the digital portion of your tuner... try either 34.5 or 34.3 (the physical main channels start at .3 for some reason in many cases)

I was out last night to meet some friends up from Florida, All were in disbelief that OTA TV still exists, they said it went digital, & could not be picked up by any Television. .... where I had met them they had U-Verse (poor PQ as it may be transmitted in analog), one of the people there said they don't broadcast TV in Florida anymore, & the one living here said that he couldn't get anything because it's digital (yet he had a Samsung Flat Screen). These people are in their upper 40's to upper 60's, & some are highly technical people. Amazing how the pay TV industry did a complete brainwash of the public.
I wonder if something is "non-standard" with 61.3. I noticed that my Zenith converter box takes a few seconds to tune to 61.3 when it is first powered on. Some TV's handle digital channels in weird ways and may throw fits if the channel isn't 100% perfect. Converter boxes like the Zenith DTT-900 are almost error-proof and can handle just about any imperfections on a certain channel.

And yes, it is amazing what the cable/satellite companies did to viewers right before the analog shutoff date. "OTA television is coming to an end on June 12, 2009! Switch to cable/satellite now so you won't be left in the dark!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
Do you know about *228? Dial it on your Verizon phone and hit option #2 . After it updates the number of bars should increase.

I was just on the road earlier this week. I was down to 1 bar in Tennessee. I dialed *228 and bingo - up to 5 bars! As long as you are in a Verizon territory (I hit an area in Kentucky were I got a "sorry this feature is not available" message, but I had 3-4 bars anyway at that point) *228 opt. 2 should work.

What this feature does is alert all the available towers that your phone is in the area. It's called "updating your roaming capability".
I will take a look into that... Thanks!

post #4126 of 4131 Old 07-26-2014, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
I was out last night to meet some friends up from Florida, All were in disbelief that OTA TV still exists, they said it went digital, & could not be picked up by any Television. .....

I’ve run into a few of those responses myself, and I too get quite a chuckle out of them. But there is an additional data point to ask those who make such statements. Ask them “Were you using OTA for your TV viewing prior to the digital switch?” i.e. Were they already using cable/sat in 2009? I found the vast majority who don’t know that OTA still exists are those who have not used OTA for a very long time, choosing cable/sat long before the digital switch. Many have never used OTA, choosing cable/satfor any number of reasons (primarily much wider channel options).

I have yet to meet a single person who switched from OTA to cable/sat as a direct result of the OTA digital switch. Whether due to digital reception issues (which is the more likely culprit) or being “fooled” by the cable/sat industry. I’m sure they are out there….. somewhere…. but not in huge numbers.

We were all deluged with OTA digital switch information when it was relevant. News stories, advertisements explaining the DTV Coupon boxes, general discussions, Q&A onTV and print and internet media, etc… Those that used OTA at that time paid attention because it affected them. Those that didn’t use OTA did not. Just as we all see numerous news stories now of the growing GM recalls. If you own a GM car you pay attention. If you don’t own a GM car you don’t. Or the big iPhone controversies a while back (reception issues and locking iPhone’s to particular carriers). iPhone users paid attention whereas the vast majority of cell phone users ( non-iPhone users) did not and probably don’t even know (or care) of the outcome.

Last edited by toby10; 07-26-2014 at 03:41 AM.
post #4127 of 4131 Old 07-26-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

& at what cost? My service uses Verizon towers, yet is not Verizon. Shouldn't matter, I think my traveling & Vacation days or over ... plus the lack of people i still talk with anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
I’ve run into a few of those responses myself, and I too get quite a chuckle out of them. But there is an additional data point to ask those who make such statements. Ask them “Were you using OTA for your TV viewing prior to the digital switch?”

I have yet to meet a single person who switched from OTA to cable/sat as a direct result of the OTA digital switch. .
True many abandoned OTA earlier, though 2 of my neighbors believed the flyers sent out by the current cable provider at the time, & my response was "& you believed them??"

I would of had a few of my meighbors on my side when the antenna went out here, now my HOA don't feel any need to provide maintence, let alone have a common antenna.
post #4128 of 4131 Old 07-26-2014, 04:53 PM

Liked: 0
Thanks all!!! I just ordered a better antenna, which I knew I would need anyway since this little RCA is lacking, to say the least. I will try the suggestions mentioned. Please, my friends can do just about anything with their phones but I am surprised they can turn their tv or pc on! What a great forum!!!
post #4129 of 4131 Old 07-28-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Weather emergencies and cable TV. Was it only Cox that broadcast a computer generated (incomprehensible) warning message on all the channels? We had to use the over-the-air TV to find out what was happening.

Kevin
post #4130 of 4131 Old 07-29-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Weather emergencies and cable TV. Was it only Cox that broadcast a computer generated (incomprehensible) warning message on all the channels? We had to use the over-the-air TV to find out what was happening.
I usually keep the main tv unplugged in a storm anyway, but I had to rely on the county siren on Sunday.

Perhaps use this as leverage on the HOA when I put up my antenna.
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #4131 of 4131 Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
& at what cost? My service uses Verizon towers, yet is not Verizon. Shouldn't matter, I think my traveling & Vacation days or over ... plus the lack of people i still talk with anymore.
I do not get charged anything for using *228 opt 2. If it's not available where you are you will get a message saying it's not available in your area. That happened to me in south central Kentucky. I checked my usage online and it did not list any minutes charged (I did see all the calls made and received while traveling).

Even though it's called "roaming capabilities" it still can help locally too. New towers are added all the time, running the update locally sometimes increases your signal strength.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page