post #4171 of 4280 Old 08-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
I just checked. Ah, there it is, with a signal from WUAB of 90 on my converter box. (Just saw the WUAB ID at about 10:03pm)

GritTV Coming Soon

It also says 480i 16 x 9.
JJK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4280 Old 08-16-2014, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry I didn't let you all know sooner, but I got an antenna from Monoprice and now I not only get 61-3 but about a dozen others!! They had an offer of $5 off first purchase of $25 so I got a VGA splitter which I needed - exceptional quality. Very cool - I am glad I didn't pay TOO much attention to the reviews on this antenna:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79761.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	215889  
post #4173 of 4280 Old 08-17-2014, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellym View Post
Sorry I didn't let you all know sooner, but I got an antenna from Monoprice and now I not only get 61-3 but about a dozen others!! They had an offer of $5 off first purchase of $25 so I got a VGA splitter which I needed - exceptional quality. Very cool - I am glad I didn't pay TOO much attention to the reviews on this antenna:
Remember this: We used to use coat hangers.
JJK
post #4174 of 4280 Old 08-17-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the deal with Channel 8, Fox (21 UHF). I can't seem to get it. I get all of the other stations from that azimuth, but not Fox 8. Is their power weak? I picked up 45 stations with the wineguard box: http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-FL655...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I also have a 2-bay UHF flyswatter, that I could try as well. Anyone else having trouble picking up Channel 8? (UHF 21).
post #4175 of 4280 Old 08-17-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
What's the deal with Channel 8, Fox (21 UHF). I can't seem to get it. I get all of the other stations from that azimuth, but not Fox 8. Is their power weak? I picked up 45 stations with the wineguard box: http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-FL655...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I also have a 2-bay UHF flyswatter, that I could try as well. Anyone else having trouble picking up Channel 8? (UHF 21).
That's a repeater for WJW's full power signal, serving the Alliance area. However, 21 along with 46 (serving the Lake Milton area) are not yet built. Both have been listed on the FCC's site with a construction permit for ~3 years now. The reason WJW hasn't installed the repeaters is probably due to the uncertainty of moving back to RF 31, which would provide better coverage in the area served by the repeaters.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4176 of 4280 Old 08-17-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
That's a repeater for WJW's full power signal, serving the Alliance area. However, 21 along with 46 (serving the Lake Milton area) are not yet built. Both have been listed on the FCC's site with a construction permit for ~3 years now. The reason WJW hasn't installed the repeaters is probably due to the uncertainty of moving back to RF 31, which would provide better coverage in the area served by the repeaters.
So is 8 still VHF then (from Cleveland)? Crap, I thought everyone had to go UHF. I just put my big old VHF antenna out on the treelawn and someone already came and got it!

I can't get wjw at all, and it's coming up on football season.

Question. Which should be better, a UHF 2 bay flyswatter or the Wineguard box linked above?

Also, I have a few splices in my RG6, I repurposed the cable from a satellite dish. If I make 1 long continuous run will that materially affect signal strength. In other wards, is there insertion loss for one of those inline connectiors?

Hmm. I tried the 2 bay flyswatter, it's about the same. I get no RF 8 with it. I'm about 23 miles from the transmitters in Cleveland according to antennaweb. The wineguard is supposed to be VHF/UHF: http://www.winegard.com/get-free-tv/.../flatwave-air/

Last edited by Commodore 64; 08-17-2014 at 11:39 AM.
post #4177 of 4280 Old 08-17-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
So is 8 still VHF then (from Cleveland)? Crap, I thought everyone had to go UHF. I just put my big old VHF antenna out on the treelawn and someone already came and got it!

I can't get wjw at all, and it's coming up on football season.

Question. Which should be better, a UHF 2 bay flyswatter or the Wineguard box linked above?

Also, I have a few splices in my RG6, I repurposed the cable from a satellite dish. If I make 1 long continuous run will that materially affect signal strength. In other wards, is there insertion loss for one of those inline connectiors?

Hmm. I tried the 2 bay flyswatter, it's about the same. I get no RF 8 with it. I'm about 23 miles from the transmitters in Cleveland according to antennaweb. The wineguard is supposed to be VHF/UHF: http://www.winegard.com/get-free-tv/.../flatwave-air/
You may want to take a look at this antenna. It is capable of hi-VHF (7-13) and UHF. It's compact and has plenty of good reviews...
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Dur.../dp/B0024R4B5C

It's also important to position the antenna away from nearby trees and other buildings if possible. They can degrade reception and create multi-path issues, especially with VHF.

Inline couplers shouldn't affect signal strength. Use of cable splitters will, especially cheap ones found at dollar stores. If you installed new connectors on your cabling, make sure they are clean and the shielding isn't making contact with the center wire.

post #4178 of 4280 Old 08-17-2014, 02:24 PM

I have this: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...uctInformation

About the same as the wineguard. No WJW .

(I just ran new cable from the roof, too, no inline connections)

I have a lot of trees, and am a little bit in a valley, antenna is on the roof of my two story house on a 12 foot pole. Multipathing is an issue, I reckon, but I get like, 0 signal on WJW.
post #4179 of 4280 Old 08-17-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I have this (antenna) : http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...uctInformation

About the same as the wineguard. No WJW .

(I just ran new cable from the roof, too, no inline connections)

I have a lot of trees, and am a little bit in a valley, antenna is on the roof of my two story house on a 12 foot pole. Multipathing is an issue, I reckon, but I get like, 0 signal on WJW.

Pay real close attention when you come upon consumer antenna reviews. A high-average rating can be misleading. Each person's setup is quite variable, ranging from being next to the tower to the deepest fringe - let alone non line-of-site objects. Hey, a paper clip or coat hanger can get great reviews - but not at 23 miles out downhill.

Forget about the small, squarish 'Flatwave' antennas or anything of the like if you are 15+ miles out, IMO. That 60+ mile range is clear, line of site. Maybe this works in Oklahoma or Texas, but not around here. With antennas, size matters. Better to have a larger signal capture surface for all-weather signal stability (wet or snow or ice on the antenna can be a problem for borderline signals). IOW, you want more than just enough signal. You want 'reserve capacity' signals levels to overcome objects and weather changes.

That antenna from Solid Signal lists the VHF at 15 miles (UNOBSTRUCTED). Meaning, at your valley-tree location, this '15-Mile' antenna for VHF is now less than that.

I have reservations about that RCA antenna. How wide is the beam width? It might work getting RF8 and RF10, but would you get all the UHF stations satisfactorily in a one-direction aim? Maybe this antenna will work with a preamp.

I would suggest one of the Antennas Direct Long Range models (myself, I would add a preamp), like the ClearStream 2V. Most of these ClearStream antennas have wider beam widths (less critical aiming, especially with a preamp).

Community Reviews Search Result of 'VHF' with the Winegard FL6550A FlatWave Outdoor Antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-c...sin=B00E5Z3R6A

Community Reviews Search Result of 'VHF' with the RCA ANT751 Compact Outdoor Antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-c...5C&sort=rating

Note: I am not an expert - I know just enough to be dangerous.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ClearStream2V.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	217073  

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware on my TV: V1.34.31.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
connected to a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. I have Win7 Pro and FireFox 31.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Changed Quoted Text Color
post #4180 of 4280 Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 AM

Sigh...

I'll give it a shot. You think that antenna is better than that solid signal for VHF? I get UHF pretty well with it, grabbing channels from 40+ miles away, just can't get the darned FOX affiliate from anywhere!

Also, years ago when everything was VHF, I used a HDHomerun. This time around I'm just using the built in rtuner on my LG 50" inch plasma. It's an older TV (great picture), but definitely was a budget item. Any feel for how much the ATSC tuner affects? Back in the day, multipath was such an issue that Vbox and HDHomerun were the only tuners that would work with my rig, they seemed to have good multipath rejection.

Also, do you think I could just use the preamp from the Wineguard box? It's a powered 5v inline connector.

Where are preamps best mounted? My antenna is outdoors, on the roof, so I hooked the preamp up (as instructed by wineguard) near the TV, indoors.

Looking at this preamp, https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...structions.pdf, I'd need to put it indoors, right?

Last edited by Commodore 64; 08-18-2014 at 07:16 AM.
post #4181 of 4280 Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:

You think that antenna is better than that solid signal for VHF?

Where are preamps best mounted? My antenna is outdoors, on the roof, so I hooked the preamp up (as instructed by Winegard) near the TV, indoors.

Looking at this preamp, https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...structions.pdf, I'd need to put it indoors, right?

Yes, the ClearStream2V should easily outdo the Solid Signal for Hi-VHF - because the Solid Signal antenna is a UHF-only antenna. Some manufacturers will advertise that their UHF-only antennas will pick up Hi-VHF. This is true, provided that you are close enough that the VHF signal is quite strong. No doubt this why Solid Signal listed the VHF range for that antenna at ONLY 15 miles. That would be line-of-site 15 miles - - - no hills, no trees, nothing in the way except the atmosphere.

Given your situation and your described location, I would pull out the heavy artillery and get a Long-Range, High Gain VHF antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc.../dp/B002E1UNWS

That baby will suck in Channel 8 for ya. This antenna will get UHF at 35+ miles. Then later, if needed, you can add a preamp.

Speaking of a preamp... If needed, you want to mount it AT THE ANTENNA. Not at the TV. Remember, amps are at the TV, PREamps are at the antenna (and its power supply would be near the TV, of coarse).

If Winegard said to place it at the TV, are you sure it was not an amp? I'd be surprised if they would say mount a PREamp at the TV.

Your antenna coax is of a quality shielded RG6 type, yes?

Some research would be needed to see what quality and sensitivity ratings for today's digital tuners, however, it's pretty much a moot issue when having a good to strong signal reaching the tuner.

Amazon Search - Long Range VHF Antenna 4-Stars and up.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ClearStream5 - Large.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	217521  

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware on my TV: V1.34.31.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
connected to a
to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. I have Win7 Pro and FireFox 31.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Added Photo / Changed Quoted Text Color
post #4182 of 4280 Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 AM

Grit is up on 43.3 as well as Escape on 61.4. Both networks seem to have occasional pixelization/shuddering. 43.3 is transmitting Grit in 16x9. Will 61.4 do the same for Escape? (4x3 letterbox)

Does anyone know if WTOL lit up their .3 for Grit? I caught WTOL last night but there was no .3, can't get them as of now. Did they wait for the last second to light it up?

EDIT: Audio encoding needs to be looked at on 43.3. My main HDTV has no audio but the Zenith DTV converter box is fine.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 08-18-2014 at 09:42 AM.
post #4183 of 4280 Old 08-18-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Grit is up on 43.3 as well as Escape on 61.4. Both networks seem to have occasional pixelization/shuddering. 43.3 is transmitting Grit in 16x9. Will 61.4 do the same for Escape? (4x3 letterbox)

Does anyone know if WTOL lit up their .3 for Grit? I caught WTOL last night but there was no .3, can't get them as of now. Did they wait for the last second to light it up?
Strange, as 43.3 was showing the blank picture over the weekend, my Zenith 901 allowed me to adjust the Zoom on the sub something you really cannot do on the subs.

Quote:
Yes, the ClearStream2V should easily outdo the Solid Signal for Hi-VHF - because the Solid Signal antenna is a UHF-only antenna. Some manufacturers will advertise that their UHF-only antennas will pick up Hi-VHF. This is true, provided that you are close enough that the VHF signal is quite strong. No doubt this why Solid Signal listed the VHF range for that antenna at ONLY 15 miles. That would be line-of-site 15 miles - - - no hills, no trees, nothing in the way except the atmosphere.

Given your situation and your described location, I would pull out the heavy artillery and get a Long-Range, High Gain VHF antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-C5-ClearStream-Digital/dp/B002E1UNWS

That baby will suck in Channel 8 for ya. This antenna will get UHF at 35+ miles. Then later, if needed, you can add a preamp.
If you read the reviews one is from Texas (gee no wonder it works) & they claim this is a VHF only antenna. Reason why I detest online purchases, the link first took me to Wal*Mart.com, when I copied it took me to Amazon ???????

23 Miles, no Fox affilate in Ytown? I'm 29 miles although I still have issues with 8, but no repeater up here, my problems due to the ridge with 8 & from CFPL with 19 (RF10)

Wonder how well that thing works in an attic?

Edit the Wal*Mart Link claims it's UHF/VHF & Amazon & the Manual says VHF... ahh the wonders of the internet & buying dot com!

Last edited by Bismarck440; 08-18-2014 at 09:52 AM.
post #4184 of 4280 Old 08-18-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
it took me to Amazon ???????

23 Miles, no Fox affilate in Ytown? I'm 29 miles although I still have issues with 8, but no repeater up here, my problems due to the ridge with 8 & from CFPL with 19 (RF10)

Yes there is a FOX in Youngstown and there are 2 ways to get it. In HD on WYFX-LD Rf Ch 19 (low power digital) or in SD on WKBN 27.2 (Rf Ch 41). I get Rf 41 here in Parma with an indoor Silver Sensor most days. Being on high ground plus WKBN-DT's phenomenal coverage area makes it possible. I call my reception of WKBN-DT a "poor man's Sunday Ticket" as there are times when WKBN/WYFX show different games than the Cleveland stations. Also WKBN is a good substitute for WOIO for CBS if you are having issues with their Rf Ch 10 signal.
post #4185 of 4280 Old 08-18-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Edit the Wal*Mart Link claims it's UHF/VHF & Amazon & the Manual says VHF... ahh the wonders of the internet & buying dot com!
https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-antenna.html

Try that link. I'm about to pull the trigger as a last ditch effort.
post #4186 of 4280 Old 08-18-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Grit is up on 43.3 as well as Escape on 61.4. Both networks seem to have occasional pixelization/shuddering.

43.3 is transmitting Grit in 16x9. Will 61.4 do the same for Escape? (4x3 letterbox)

What the Crap? These two new channels had all this time to be ready and we get this crap? AssCape is squishing the image. What?

Grunt's 'shuddering' is ugly. Is this 43's problem?

I hafta use the Anamorphic setting to get the image to look right on Grunt.

- Pj
connected to a

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Changed Quoted Text Color
post #4187 of 4280 Old 08-18-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
What the Crap? These two new channels had all this time to be ready and we get this crap? AssCape is squishing the image. What?

HAHAHA!!! Your post made me laugh!!! I noticed that too. What's the point of presenting in widescreen when all they're going do is stretch a full frame picture? Would have been better off to transmit the picture in 4x3. Clearly the network is doing this and not the affiliates.

43.3 apparently has an encoding issue to work out. My main HDTV can't decode the audio at all. I notice some light shuddering in the picture too. Sounds like your TV can't handle it correctly and is throwing fits.

post #4188 of 4280 Old 08-18-2014, 11:38 PM

Thumbs down GripeTV and AssCape - You have Got to be Kidding!

Quote:

HAHAHA!!! Your post made me laugh!!!

My main HDTV can't decode the audio at all.

Well that's nice. See - I did something right.

Now let's see if AssKew and Get-a-GripTV can get something right.

I get GruntTV's audio alright from my DigitalStream CB, but not via my HD DVR! The 4x3 John Wayne movie fits the main TV ok, via the screen setup in the DVR. I did not have to change anything there.

I'll check later this morning and see, and maybe 'hear' what's going on then.

- Pj
connected to a

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Changed Quoted Text Color
post #4189 of 4280 Old 08-19-2014, 06:34 AM

I noticed that when I first tune to GruntTV with my DigitalStream converter box, the audio does not appear until about 10 seconds later.

- Pj
connected to a
post #4190 of 4280 Old 08-19-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now, now.... not like we are paying for these like Pay TV & Cable.... be nice or free TV will go away!

I find on my 4:3 set I have to use the Squeezed setting on the Zenith 901 to get a good ratio (the Grit Logo then appears squeezed .. np), on Escape I have to use the sets setting to a 4:3 Expand (which removes some of the black bars).... Strange though I can't change ANY Ratios on the Subs on the Zenith 901 except for Grit. Note there is a few second delay when tuning to Grit & Get

I have yet to see either of these on my Widescreen, theough the Westinghouse labeled Grit as 'Bounce 43.3), had to manually change it.
post #4191 of 4280 Old 08-19-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:

If you read the reviews one is from Texas (gee no wonder it works) & they claim this is a VHF only antenna.

Well, it is first and foremost a VHF antenna with UHF capabilities. See the attached images with descriptions from Amazon, Antennas Direct, and WalMart.

Quote:

Reason why I detest online purchases, the link first took me to Wal*Mart.com, when I copied it took me to Amazon ???????

Hmm. The 'Amazon' link should have taken you to Amazon. I have no idea how it would take anyone to another site.

Quote:

(A) Works great in the attic.
(B) Works terrible in the attic.

Person (B) lives much further away from tower(s).

Quote:

Edit: the WalMart Link claims it's UHF/VHF & Amazon & the Manual says VHF... ahh the wonders of the internet & buying dot com!

See the attached images with descriptions.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ClearStream5 - Site Descriptions 1-of-3.png
Views:	10
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	219154   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClearStream5 - Site Descriptions 2-of-3.png
Views:	8
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	219162   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClearStream5 - Site Descriptions 3-of-3.png
Views:	9
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	219170  

- Pj
connected to a

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Changed Quoted Text Color
post #4192 of 4280 Old 08-19-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Now, now.... not like we are paying for these like Pay TV & Cable.... be nice or free TV will go away!

Hey, Crap is Crap - whether it is paid for or free.

Quote:

I find on my 4:3 set I have to use the Squeezed setting on the Zenith 901 to get a good ratio (the Grit Logo then appears squeezed .. np), on Escape I have to use the sets setting to a 4:3 Expand (which removes some of the black bars)...

During a break on GruntTV, I noticed some properly formatted images when I had my CB set to 16x9, yet when Get-a-GripTV goes back the movie, it is vertically squeezed.

Quote:

Strange though I can't change ANY Ratios on the Subs on the Zenith 901 except for Grit.

Yes, this is the first time I was able to change the format on a sub-channel. They all should do that.

- Pj
connected to a

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Changed Quoted Text Color
post #4193 of 4280 Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, it is first and foremost a VHF antenna with UHF capabilities. See the attached images with descriptions from Amazon, Antennas Direct, and WalMart.

Hmm. The 'Amazon' link should have taken you to Amazon. I have no idea how it would take anyone to another site.

I'm removing the HTTP, disabling the link, I think it's 'adchoices' playing tricks here... I see Wal*Mart Within, but one time on Here it was an Amazon link??

viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=814&m=799168095&q=n&rdgt=1408293651&it=14 08725651&et=1408898451&priceret=139.99&pg=~~3&k=72 224d0f324f6e5a5d81ab31a5aadbc3&source=feed&url=htt p%3A%2F%2Fc%2Eaffil%2Ewalmart%2Ecom%2Ft%2Fcsepg01% 3Fl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww%2Ewalmart%2Ecom%252Fi p%252FAntennas%2DDirect%2DC5%2DClearStream%2D5%2DE xtreme%2DRange%2DUHF%2DVHF%2DDTV%2DAntenna%2Dwith% 2DSignal%2DCombiner%252F26964144%253Fwmlspartner%2 53Dpricegrabber%2Ecom%2526affcmpid%253D268830291%2 526tmode%253D0000%2526veh%253Dcse&st=feed&mt=~~~~~ ~~~n~~~

Quote:
Hey, Crap is Crap - whether it is paid for or free.

Yes, this is the first time I was able to change the format on a sub-channel. They all should do that.

I find this less offensive & annoying than some of the content piped in by Crime Warner 70 channel package cable on Widescreen TV's.... & people actually pay for this ... & They are WILLING to pay even more!

Agree, I thought the not being able to adjust subs was a limitation of the Zenith 901... guess not.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 08-19-2014 at 09:06 AM.
post #4194 of 4280 Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I thought the not being able to adjust subs was a limitation of the Zenith 901... guess not.
43.3 is transmitting in 16x9. That's why you are able to change the aspect ratio on your Zenith converter box. Bring up the info screen and it will say 16x9.

post #4195 of 4280 Old 08-19-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:

I'm removing the HTTP, disabling the link, I think it's 'adchoices' playing tricks here... I see Wal*Mart Within, but one time on Here it was an Amazon link??

viglink.pgpartner.com/rd.php?r=814&m=799168095&q=n&rdgt=1408293651&it=14 08725651&et=1408898451&priceret=139.99&pg=~~3&k=72 224d0f324f6e5a5d81ab31a5aadbc3&source=feed&url=htt p%3A%2F%2Fc%2Eaffil%2Ewalmart%2Ecom%2Ft%2Fcsepg01% 3Fl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww%2Ewalmart%2Ecom%252Fi p%252FAntennas%2DDirect%2DC5%2DClearStream%2D5%2DE xtreme%2DRange%2DUHF%2DVHF%2DDTV%2DAntenna%2Dwith% 2DSignal%2DCombiner%252F26964144%253Fwmlspartner%2 53Dpricegrabber%2Ecom%2526affcmpid%253D268830291%2 526tmode%253D0000%2526veh%253Dcse&st=feed&mt=~~~~~ ~~~n~~~

Oh my! Link hijacking! That dreaded 'VigLink'! I had navigation difficulties with that stinking VIGLINK crap!

All I put up was a direct link to Amazon. How that gets 'hijacked' into taking you to Walmart is cRaZy!

Just one more reason why I switched to FireFox and installed the Add-On, "AdBlock Plus" program.

I wonder if it is just at your end or what may be here on the forum. I think it could be at your end.

I downloaded a video capture program (FreeCorder) some time back, and it put that VigSTINK link redirection program on my system. It really slowed down my Internet navigation.

I think Avast AntiVirus lists Viggy as maleware or something.

I'm not sure, but maybe AVSforum has a tie-in to VigSTINK? "Vig" as in 'Vigorous'. Indeed. It is very aggressive.

This is the Amazon Link I posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-C5-ClearStream-Digital/dp/B002E1UNWS

- Pj
connected to a

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Changed Quoted Text Color
post #4196 of 4280 Old 08-19-2014, 08:06 PM

Ok, a John Wayne movie just ended on GrimeTV and it looked fine in 16x9. I guess movies that are not widescreen are being forced (stretched) into the 16x9 format, like the now running B&W movie that just started as I'm typing this. At least I have some control on how to view it: The Anamorphic setting seems to look ok. The 14x9 setting chops off some of the left and right image.

The 'Grit' logo/ID should be translucent. I do not like in-your-face, solid, bold and/or colored 'bugs' sitting on the picture. It has gotten worse over the years. Some of them are quite large, too.

GruntTV still is doing the Shudder-Stutter dance.

- Pj
connected to a

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-19-2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Because I wanted to, that's why.
post #4197 of 4280 Old 08-20-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Community Reviews Search Result of 'VHF' with the Winegard FL6550A FlatWave Outdoor Antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-c...sin=B00E5Z3R6A

Community Reviews Search Result of 'VHF' with the RCA ANT751 Compact Outdoor Antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-c...5C&sort=rating

These the links in question?
Both links correctly take me to Amazon, not Walmart.
post #4198 of 4280 Old 08-20-2014, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
These the links in question?
Both links correctly take me to Amazon, not Walmart.
Work OK here... Ed
post #4199 of 4280 Old 08-20-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

These the links in question? Both links correctly take me to Amazon, not Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

Works OK here... Ed

I just checked this page with ABP disabled on the AVSforum site and checked the links in 'Page Info' (with FireFox 31).

I did not see any VigLink links at this point, so perhaps he may have it from a software install like I did at one time.

- Pj
connected to a

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Changed Quoted Text Color
post #4200 of 4280 Old 08-20-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
On my Sony, the audio on "Grit" is at least 1/2 second out of sync with the video.

Quote:
Ok, a John Wayne movie just ended on GrimeTV and it looked fine in 16x9. I guess movies that are not widescreen are being forced (stretched) into the 16x9 format, like the now running B&W movie that just started as I'm typing this. At least I have some control on how to view it: The Anamorphic setting seems to look ok. The 14x9 setting chops off some of the left and right image.

The 'Grit' logo/ID should be translucent. I do not like in-your-face, solid, bold and/or colored 'bugs' sitting on the picture. It has gotten worse over the years. Some of them are quite large, too.

GruntTV still is doing the Shudder-Stutter dance.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page