9Likes

post #4201 of 4281 Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post

On my Sony, the audio on "Grit" is at least 1/2 second out of sync with the video.

I think I 'hear' that, too - however, the stinking video is so unsteady and crappy - it is amazing it is still a problem and has not been fixed yet.

I may unhook my converter box and connect it directly to my Philips TV (19") to check if the audio is ok. I have no audio on my Sony DVR (DHG250). I should hook the antenna directly the Vizio and check it, too.

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware I have: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
connected to a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Using: Win7 Pro and FireFox 32.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Changed Quoted Text Color
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4281 Old 08-20-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
The 'Grit' logo/ID should be translucent. I do not like in-your-face, solid, bold and/or colored 'bugs' sitting on the picture. It has gotten worse over the years. Some of them are quite large, too.
Tell that to WBNX! I remember back in 2005 they had a giant WB bug that took up almost 1/4 of the screen and it wasn't transparent, and no, it wasn't the typical hourly id bug. Then came the E/I requirement where a show had to always show "E/I" and WBNX slapped a huge combination WBNX-WB-E/I bug right over it so that viewers wouldn't see two bugs on the screen. They don't seem to cover up the E/I bug anymore with their own. Instead, there are two E/I bugs on the screen, one on the program and one integrated in the WBNX CW bug.

I always hated the Fox 8 News bug. I don't like bugs that are animated. They were bugless prior to the new set/graphics in 2007.

In today's world, we have even more bugs cluttering up the screen and burning into our plasma displays. Continuous network ads (thanks to DVR's) and useless Twitter hashtags, which are usually the name of the show with a # at the beginning and no spaces. For a long time I couldn't figure out was those things were since I don't Twitter.

Quote:
On my Sony, the audio on "Grit" is at least 1/2 second out of sync with the video.
Noticed that too on my Zenith converter box. My main HDTV still has no audio from them.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 08-20-2014 at 08:52 AM.
post #4203 of 4281 Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I think I 'hear' that, too - however, the stinking video is so unsteady and crappy - it is amazing it is still a problem and has not been fixed yet.
I would get in contact with WUAB and send them a message about the picture shuddering and audio being out-of-sync on 43.3. WOIO/WUAB gives me the impression that it isn't broke unless someone complains. Engineering must quickly look at the outgoing broadcasts every hour and as long as there's picture & sound then everything is OK. They don't watch it long enough to to catch minor things like glitches in the automation system. I've sent e-mails to them recently regarding 19.2 because automation of the hourly ID & commercials were off by 2 seconds, clipping programming. Last year the hourly ID on 19.2 got crippled and it was like that for over 3 months until I sent an e-mail describing the issue. In a day or so, the problem was corrected, though they replaced the then-current ID with an older version.

post #4204 of 4281 Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Ok, a John Wayne movie just ended on GrimeTV and it looked fine in 16x9. I guess movies that are not widescreen are being forced (stretched) into the 16x9 format, like the now running B&W movie that just started as I'm typing this. At least I have some control on how to view it: The Anamorphic setting seems to look ok. The 14x9 setting chops off some of the left and right image.

The 'Grit' logo/ID should be translucent. I do not like in-your-face, solid, bold and/or colored 'bugs' sitting on the picture. It has gotten worse over the years. Some of them are quite large, too.

GruntTV still is doing the Shudder-Stutter dance.

I likely was watching that same movie & had to take the 4:3 out of squeeze, & looked fine, movie on Escape looked great too... then around 2 am a movie with Michael Mckean was on Escape & back in the squished mode, guess it depends on the content, commercials are windowframed on my 4:3.

I'm not picking up juddering, more prevalant on a LCD than a CRT?
post #4205 of 4281 Old 08-20-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh my! Link hijacking! That dreaded 'VigLink'! I had navigation difficulties with that stinking VIGLINK crap!

All I put up was a direct link to Amazon. How that gets 'hijacked' into taking you to Walmart is cRaZy!

Just one more reason why I switched to FireFox and installed the Add-On, "AdBlock Plus" program.

Ha, just one ore reason why I think I should be paid to browse the internet instead of me paying for ISP service!

I don't buy anything over the internet anyway... jokes on them!
post #4206 of 4281 Old 08-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Channel 43.3 was fine with the John Wayne movie but not with the others that were 4 x 3 stretched out. I have two independent settings in my Sony that adjust the (automatic) normal 720/1080i 16 x 9 channels and another (automatic) that adjusts the 480i 16 x 9 settings. 49.3 works just fine. 43.3 is stretched when showing 4 x 3 stuff. 61.4 is ok also so far. As soon as I see the stretchovision I change the channel.
JJK
post #4207 of 4281 Old 08-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #4208 of 4281 Old 08-20-2014, 07:34 PM

Talking In The Kitchen with Channel Master...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

Channel Master Introduces $10 Antenna With Free Shipping

Such a deal!

Other than being practically next to a tower, this thing is just an over-sized spatula for most people. Anyone for pancakes?

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware I have: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
connected to a
to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Using: Win7 Pro and FireFox 32.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Changed Quoted Text Color
post #4209 of 4281 Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes 43.3 is showing older 4:3 movies stretched out, I have a squeeze mode on my Zenith 901, but don't have this feature on my 16:9, I think Escape is also doing on some movies, but not being able to either squeeze or adjust the Ratio, I can't correct it via the set.

Still not able to get 61 with the Rabbit Ears, only 43 & on very rare occasions 5. What is strange I get a 4 out of 10 bar signal on 43. 61 was the strongest & most reliable, yet does not make it in the house with the rabbit ears.
post #4210 of 4281 Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Still not able to get 61 with the Rabbit Ears, only 43 and on very rare occasions, 5.

What is strange I get a 4 out of 10 bar signal on 43.

61 was the strongest & most reliable, yet does not make it in the house with the rabbit ears.

Just rabbit ears, and no UHF loop?

Rabbit Ears-only is really a VHF antenna, but it certainly can pickup UHF - if you are close enough and shorten-up the ears.

Playing around with a TV Top antenna, many miles from the towers, can be quite frustrating indeed. Having to play around with it for hours to hopefully get all the stations you want - only later to have some disappear. Let's see... this rod I will extend this far out and shorten the other... no the other way around... nah, fully extend them both... now shortened them up bit... wait a sec... Doh! Try again... and again... and again...

Let me check my signals on my DTX9950 hooked up to a ClearStream4 antenna in my closet, pointed North, about 30 miles south of Cleveland, on the first floor level:

TV61 87 Avg

TV55 91

TV49 86

TV43 90 (No EPG Found on 'GruntTV')

TV25 77

TV23 80

TV19 58 Avg

TV17 90

TV 8 (Not in my last scan - was 0 to 15 prior - Need low-30s+ to get image/sound.)

TV 5 90

TV 3 90

- Pj
connected to a

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Added Info. / Changed Quoted Text Color
post #4211 of 4281 Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just rabbit ears, and no UHF loop?

Yeah a UHF loop I can spin, plus a knob with detents, have no idea what that does, possibly a filtering, as soon as I walk near the thing the signal pixilates, & on the set the signal does not update, I have to refresh it. I have it on my audio cabnet to get it to a high point in the room, first floor & the exterior is windows & brick. The tuner is strange, like 10 or 12 bars, if no signal you get no bars, so you can get & hold a channel in with 1 bar... 43 gets 3-5 bars usually, on 5 maybe 1 or 2 if coming in, the rest zilch. A few miles away my dad gets 5 & 61 just using the lead from the TV to the Ground block about 4 feet above ground mounted in an overhang, that has 'quality' QS6 Coax that corrodes & breaks every 18 months no mater what you do.... how I know this.

30 miles south?? Like I said before West Is Best & all roads lead to Akron as far as Cleveland OTA goes. for the Cleveland DMA Eastern Lake & Ashtabula counties are pretty much shunned.
post #4212 of 4281 Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM

Updates

My HDTV finally has sound on 43.3. I wonder if the shuddering stopped for those who were experiencing it.

43.3 was also playing around with their id bug right after 12PM today. Every time it reappeared, it was in a different spot. Looks like they were trying to position it right under the Grit bug. Prior to the alignment, the id was right over the Grit bug.

I noticed WRLM/47 has a new sub-channel. ABN I think it is called.

I also noticed that WLFM/6 has their slideshow up and running again. Looks like it hasn't been updated since the switch to La Mega as the Cleveland Sound logos are being displayed.

post #4213 of 4281 Old 08-22-2014, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The sync issue on 43.3 also seems to be fixed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
My HDTV finally has sound on 43.3. I wonder if the shuddering stopped for those who were experiencing it.

43.3 was also playing around with their id bug right after 12PM today. Every time it reappeared, it was in a different spot. Looks like they were trying to position it right under the Grit bug. Prior to the alignment, the id was right over the Grit bug.

I noticed WRLM/47 has a new sub-channel. ABN I think it is called.

I also noticed that WLFM/6 has their slideshow up and running again. Looks like it hasn't been updated since the switch to La Mega as the Cleveland Sound logos are being displayed.
post #4214 of 4281 Old 08-22-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The sync issue on 43.3 also seems to be fixed now.
That automatic function of changing back and forth from 16 x 9 to 4 x 3 doesn't work on 43.3 but works fine on all the others. That means that 43.3 is not sending the proper data to view in 4 x 3. Not happy about that even though I can change it with much disgust.
JJK
post #4215 of 4281 Old 08-24-2014, 02:43 PM

Live Well was on 5.1 today at 5:30 PM. I guess WEWS ran out of programs to air, so now they're taking some from 5.2. Probably be the only time I'll see LWN in gorgeous HD and not in a letterboxed 480i format.

post #4216 of 4281 Old 08-24-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
That automatic function of changing back and forth from 16 x 9 to 4 x 3 doesn't work on 43.3 but works fine on all the others. That means that 43.3 is not sending the proper data to view in 4 x 3. Not happy about that even though I can change it with much disgust.
JJK
Maybe the AFD code...
post #4217 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
Unbelievable on the AFD code. How could they get that so screwed up?
JJK
post #4218 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hey guys... I have a few questions for you as far as getting started with OTA. Here is my goal and situation:

My contract with DirectTV is up soon, and I won't be continuing their service nor will I be looking at Uverse or Cable. Between Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu, the only thing I watch on regular TV is live sports on local channels (Cleveland Browns away games).

So I'm looking for something that will be able to receive local channels at high quality. Not looking to spend a ton or make a huge project out of this.

I have a few questions:

1)What do you guys recommend as far as antenna's? My house is relatively new (2011) and does a great job of blocking cell signal, so I'm not sure if I can get by with an indoor antenna (or if they are any good).

2) I'm in Willougbhy, about 2 miles north of the lake... figured I'd check and see how the reception is in general for that area.

3) If an outdoor antenna... could I use the mounting from my dish and can I use the existing Coax that my Direct TV utilizes to get from the dish to my TV?

4) I'm fairly certain my TV has a built in tuner (Samsung LN52A650)... would I need anything else to support the antenna

Thanks in advance. If there is a guide or something to use as a reference that would be excellent too.
post #4219 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Yeah a UHF loop I can spin, plus a knob with detents, have no idea what that does, possibly a filtering, as soon as I walk near the thing the signal pixilates, & on the set the signal does not update, I have to refresh it. I have it on my audio cabnet to get it to a high point in the room, first floor & the exterior is windows & brick. The tuner is strange, like 10 or 12 bars, if no signal you get no bars, so you can get & hold a channel in with 1 bar... 43 gets 3-5 bars usually, on 5 maybe 1 or 2 if coming in, the rest zilch. A few miles away my dad gets 5 & 61 just using the lead from the TV to the Ground block about 4 feet above ground mounted in an overhang, that has 'quality' QS6 Coax that corrodes & breaks every 18 months no mater what you do.... how I know this.

30 miles south?? Like I said before West Is Best & all roads lead to Akron as far as Cleveland OTA goes. for the Cleveland DMA Eastern Lake & Ashtabula counties are pretty much shunned.
The knob with the dents is probably a variable capacitor. What it does is electrically tune the antenna to aid in reception (if it is working right). The UHF TV band range is large, so some degree of electrical tuning is needed. While not as good as a resonant antenna, it is better than nothing. Rootop amtennas employ the use of elements of multiple lengths to overcome the resonance issues. Also digital signals hate multipath (the signal arriving at the antenna at slightly different times), something that's more of a problem with indoor antennas since there's more of an opportunity for reflection of the signal.
post #4220 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterryu View Post
I'm in Willougbhy, about 2 miles north of the lake... figured I'd check and see how the reception is in general for that area.
I can tell you right off the bat that you're probably going to have severe reception problems with WOIO due to it's null (lack of power) towards the northeast along with interference issues from CFPL in London Canada. Others who post here also have difficulties receiving WOIO in and around that area.

post #4221 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Hey guys... I have a few questions for you as far as getting started with OTA. Here is my goal and situation:

My contract with DirectTV is up soon, and I won't be continuing their service nor will I be looking at Uverse or Cable. Between Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu, the only thing I watch on regular TV is live sports on local channels (Cleveland Browns away games).

So I'm looking for something that will be able to receive local channels at high quality. Not looking to spend a ton or make a huge project out of this.

I have a few questions:

1)What do you guys recommend as far as antenna's? My house is relatively new (2011) and does a great job of blocking cell signal, so I'm not sure if I can get by with an indoor antenna (or if they are any good).

2) I'm in Willougbhy, about 2 miles north of the lake... figured I'd check and see how the reception is in general for that area.

3) If an outdoor antenna... could I use the mounting from my dish and can I use the existing Coax that my Direct TV utilizes to get from the dish to my TV?

4) I'm fairly certain my TV has a built in tuner (Samsung LN52A650)... would I need anything else to support the antenna

Thanks in advance. If there is a guide or something to use as a reference that would be excellent too.

Here is a link to the TV Fool to give you an idea of what type of antenna (indoor or outdoor) you would need, as well as which channels to expect:

https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opt...pper&Itemid=29

Here's another link to help out:

http://www.antennaweb.org/Default.aspx

We used the existing wiring from when this house had cable and it works OK - I don't know if the same can be said for satellite or not. Also, we started out with an indoor antenna just to check it out, but ended up with an outdoor antenna (Antennacraft HBU33) as WOIO (channels 19.1 and 19.2) were difficult to pick up. You may want to try the indoor one first, depending on your viewing needs. Remember that you need both the 'rabbit ears' for VHF and the loop for UHF, as channels 8 and 19 are VHF.

Best of luck. We dumped cable over three years ago and couldn't be happier with plain old OTA TV!
post #4222 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Newbie View Post
Here is a link to the TV Fool to give you an idea of what type of antenna (indoor or outdoor) you would need, as well as which channels to expect:

https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opt...pper&Itemid=29

Here's another link to help out:

http://www.antennaweb.org/Default.aspx

We used the existing wiring from when this house had cable and it works OK - I don't know if the same can be said for satellite or not. Also, we started out with an indoor antenna just to check it out, but ended up with an outdoor antenna (Antennacraft HBU33) as WOIO (channels 19.1 and 19.2) were difficult to pick up. You may want to try the indoor one first, depending on your viewing needs. Remember that you need both the 'rabbit ears' for VHF and the loop for UHF, as channels 8 and 19 are VHF.

Best of luck. We dumped cable over three years ago and couldn't be happier with plain old OTA TV!
Well main thing I want to get is Browns away games which is WKYC, right? I've got tickets to the home games (feeling like a sucker yet again). So missing WOIO wouldn't bother me much.
post #4223 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I can tell you right off the bat that you're probably going to have severe reception problems with WOIO due to it's null (lack of power) towards the northeast along with interference issues from CFPL in London Canada. Others who post here also have difficulties receiving WOIO in and around that area.

Tru dat! We have problems with WOIO most of the summer - not so much in the other seasons.
post #4224 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Well main thing I want to get is Browns away games which is WKYC, right? I've got tickets to the home games (feeling like a sucker yet again). So missing WOIO wouldn't bother me much.
That was hubby's main concern as well

Here in Euclid we have yet to experience any problems with WKYC.....not sure if that's the station that airs the Browns game though. The only channels we experience problems with are 19 and sometimes 43. We do use an amplifier for our main TV, none for the other two, and that seems to help with both 19 and 43.
post #4225 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
If you haven't viewed OTA TV in a few decades, I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised at both the picture quality and the amount of channels you'll be receiving. Those digital sub-channels really change the whole concept of the old skool OTA TV!
post #4226 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Tru dat! We have problems with WOIO most of the summer - not so much in the other seasons.
Last week, CFPL was trying to take over WOIO here at my house as I was barely getting a strong enough signal on 19. Unusual to see that here as I rarely have interference issues with RF 10. RF 9 also had a signal present, likely that of CBET.

post #4227 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Last week, CFPL was trying to take over WOIO here at my house as I was barely getting a strong enough signal on 19. Unusual to see that here as I rarely have interference issues with RF 10. RF 9 also had a signal present, likely that of CBET.
Are you lucky enough to be able to pick up WTOL when WOIO goes out? We have been very lucky with that channel. That and WMYD 20.1 and .2 out of Detroit.....it's been nice to watch COZI Tv for a good part of this summer - it's the only good part about losing 19.
post #4228 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Are you lucky enough to be able to pick up WTOL when WOIO goes out? We have been very lucky with that channel. That and WMYD 20.1 and .2 out of Detroit.....it's been nice to watch COZI Tv for a good part of this summer - it's the only good part about losing 19.
WOIO RF10 never goes out for me. Only under severe tropo events where the Canadian stations start booming in as previously mentioned. And yes, I can receive WTOL as well as WTVG from Toldeo, not as easily as those up by the lake. I've caught WMYD a few times digitally in the past, usually with just enough signal strength for the TV to decode.

post #4229 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
OOOH no no! WKYC is Browns preseason games only! Away games will be on WOIO except for any Monday or Thursday night games, in which case the OTA game goes to the highest bidder. If you happen to miss a home game in person you may also need to know that when the visiting team is in the NFC that game ends up on FOX 8 on Sunday day games. Sunday night games are WKYC.

On top of all that, the NFL has a new "right" to change networks for some games.

In any event you need to work on getting that WOIO signal or it's back to Dish or cable for you.
post #4230 of 4281 Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
OOOH no no! WKYC is Browns preseason games only! Away games will be on WOIO except for any Monday or Thursday night games, in which case the OTA game goes to the highest bidder. If you happen to miss a home game in person you may also need to know that when the visiting team is in the NFC that game ends up on FOX 8 on Sunday day games. Sunday night games are WKYC.

On top of all that, the NFL has a new "right" to change networks for some games.

In any event you need to work on getting that WOIO signal or it's back to Dish or cable for you.
Thanks for the information... you've given me something to think on... makes me wonder if cutting the cord and switching to the Panini's plan for away games isn't the best way to go.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page