post #4231 of 4242 Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterryu View Post
Thanks for the information... you've given me something to think on... makes me wonder if cutting the cord and switching to the Panini's plan for away games isn't the best way to go.
I have no trouble getting the Browns OTA but my main worry is hoping that the new offensive coordinator does not mess up Hoyer and Manzeil like RG3. As of now the team stinks.
JJK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4242 Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Newbie View Post
Are you lucky enough to be able to pick up WTOL when WOIO goes out? We have been very lucky with that channel. That and WMYD 20.1 and .2 out of Detroit.....it's been nice to watch COZI Tv for a good part of this summer - it's the only good part about losing 19.
Actually that happened a few times on the attic antenna, I really seldom had too many issues on WOIO with the former outdoor antenna. I never received WMYD 20, & for some reason no Toledo 13 this summer either.

As the tropo problem with 19 goes away in the fall, the football games shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Quote:
Thanks for the information... you've given me something to think on... makes me wonder if cutting the cord and switching to the Panini's plan for away games isn't the best way to go.
I wouldn't let it discourage you that much, shouldn't be all too often in the fall (though it may happen)... I used to enjoy the Indians & Cavs games too, though I wasn't willing to pay the bandits what they wanted when they jumped to cable.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 08-26-2014 at 08:32 AM.
post #4233 of 4242 Old 08-26-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looking at this further, I'm interested, almost looks like a STB with HD output & an output to record on a hard drive. (??) For less than the retail of my Zenith 901?

Too bad I don't do online purchases.
post #4234 of 4242 Old 08-26-2014, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What the heck?! WUAB switched Grit to a letterboxed 4x3 format. The picture now looks like an up-converted 240p YouTube video. Absolutely terrible! Nothing was wrong with the 16x9 format. I guess WUAB thought it was sucking up too much bandwidth.

And what happened to the program info for Grit? It's been gone for several days now!

Speaking about Grit, along with Escape, does anyone know why these networks haven't yet launched in the Toledo market? They are one of two markets with a Raycom station that haven't yet launched the networks. (The other market is Jackson Mississippi)

It's not NEW anymore!!! Bring Back Soft Rock 102.1 WDOK
post #4235 of 4242 Old 08-26-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
A number of the Raycom markets haven't launched yet, not just those two.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4236 of 4242 Old 08-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
What the heck?! WUAB switched Grit to a letterboxed 4x3 format. The picture now looks like an up-converted 240p YouTube video. Absolutely terrible! Nothing was wrong with the 16x9 format. I guess WUAB thought it was sucking up too much bandwidth.

And what happened to the program info for Grit? It's been gone for several days now!

Speaking about Grit, along with Escape, does anyone know why these networks haven't yet launched in the Toledo market? They are one of two markets with a Raycom station that haven't yet launched the networks. (The other market is Jackson Mississippi)
One of these days they will get the format correct all the time, but then again if I get some prescription glasses to make normal people short and fat then the TV will look fine.
JJK
post #4237 of 4242 Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

What the heck?! WUAB switched Grit to a letter-boxed 4x3 format.

The picture now looks like an up-converted 240p YouTube video.

Absolutely terrible! Nothing was wrong with the 16x9 format.

I guess WUAB thought it was sucking up too much bandwidth.

Actually, I prefer the 16x10 presentation. A true 16x9 movie on today's 16x10 TVs is beyond my liking. 16x9 TVs are pretty rare out there. (Do they still make them?)

GrittyTV - "High Noon". Squishy image. I used the TV's format button and switched to "Movie Expand 16x9" to get the proper ratio. Image is not razor sharp. "AhScape" is squishing their content as usual.

I do not know why the EPG has gone away with "DTV Program" in its place on GritzTeeVee.

The stupid, large, color inserts throughout the movies shown of what is upcoming is pathetic. I have not, and will not watch any movie on these two subs. Commercial breaks are bad enough - but these super-annoying promo inserts are an added insult.

Obviously, no concern of a quality presentation here - it is the movies that are a break in the 'action' of the commercials - the 'real' show.

Last night on GripeTV, my brief look at a Clint Eastwood movie looked pretty good on the 40" TV.

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware on my TV: V1.34.31.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to a DTX9950 to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. I have Win7 Pro and FireFox 31.
post #4238 of 4242 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, I thought everybody loves U -Toob

See, now be careful what you wish for, you just might get it! ,
I didn't think Grit had any program info ever.

I'm not too worried about Toledo, after all I don't think they worried about us when Theresa Fedor Senteced NE Ohio to the E-Check Program forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Last night on GripeTV, my brief look at a Clint Eastwood movie looked pretty good on the 40" TV.
Now the aspect ratios look correct but like a 26" CRT on my 40" Wide. Actually the Wide was beautiful for a sub, they just couldn't figure out the 4:3.
post #4239 of 4242 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Hey, I thought everybody loves U -Toob

See, now be careful what you wish for, you just might get it! ,
I didn't think Grit had any program info ever.

I'm not too worried about Toledo, after all I don't think they worried about us when Theresa Fedor Senteced NE Ohio to the E-Check Program forever.

Now the aspect ratios look correct but like a 26" CRT on my 40" Wide. Actually the Wide was beautiful for a sub, they just couldn't figure out the 4:3.
It took about 2000 years for the human race to reduce distortion in optical lenses down to 1% and the networks seem to think that 3000% is ok. Perhaps there should be another automatic application in the TV set that analyses what a circle should look like and make changes in a few microseconds.
JJK
post #4240 of 4242 Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
It took about 2000 years for the human race to reduce distortion in optical lenses down to 1% and the networks seem to think that 3000% is ok. Perhaps there should be another automatic application in the TV set that analyses what a circle should look like and make changes in a few microseconds.
JJK
My friend in Madison got the $70 TWC package, & on most of the channels the aspect had to be adjusted, but again because it's 'the best' it's acceptable too! See, we need to embrace mediocrity

Actually that circle idea wouldn't be a bad idea or feature.
post #4241 of 4242 Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Looking at this further, I'm interested, almost looks like a STB with HD output & an output to record on a hard drive. (??) For less than the retail of my Zenith 901?

Too bad I don't do online purchases.
I bought this a few weeks ago. You need to look at this in terms of positives and negatives.

Plus
The technology is up to the moment while my HDTV is about 8 years old. That said, the OTA tuner hardware is more up to date, so the weaker signals on the TV are stronger on the HomeWorx. Channel 19.1 is like 1 bar on my TV, but 100% signal on the Homeworx.

Because of this, you may get more channels, where every you are at

You can record shows. I started with a USB flash drive, but the playback skipped. I went to a USB external hard drive and it works great.

Minus
Sometimes, the box freezes, then turns itself back on. It is annoying

Whatever you are recording, the box will go to that time and station to record it, so you can't watch something else on the box while it is recording. I have the box set to loop through and just watch something else on the TV, though

When you record something, it gives you the station and time information, but not what show information. The only way to get that is to preview it

In the end, you get what you pay for. I did not want to spend a couple of hundred on a DVR, so I went with this and live with the annoyances. The pluses do outweigh the minuses.
post #4242 of 4242 Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I have no trouble getting the Browns OTA but my main worry is hoping that the new offensive coordinator does not mess up Hoyer and Manzeil like RG3. As of now the team stinks.
JJK
You have no trouble because you are in Twinsburg. The OP is in Willoughby near the lake. Lake & Ashtabula counties get all kinds of interference when skip is up from CFPL.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page