post #4291 of 4297 Old Today, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Again, I can't believe so many people think that OTA TV no longer exists and that owning a TV is pointless without cable or satellite! They could at least kept the TV, hooked up an antenna and watch free TV.
Did 19 mention that their own signal stinks in many parts of NE Ohio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 4297 Old Today, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
Last I paid any attention to Toledo, CW was on cable channel 5 only, run by the major local cable operator (Buckeye).
Apparently, the CW affiliation did indeed just move to WTVG/13.2 with that station's ownership change.
post #4293 of 4297 Old Today, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
Did 19 mention that their own signal stinks in many parts of NE Ohio?
I think the story was picked up from one of their sister stations. I didn't see any 19 Action News mics on the screen. I couldn't even find a link to the story on their website. Whoever compiled the story didn't even mention a thing about OTA broadcasts or pretended that they no longer exist.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4294 of 4297 Old Today, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
There was a story today on 19 about people cutting the cord and saving money by not paying for cable/satellite services. Of course, it was mostly about online services like Netflix and Hulu. The mother and daughter that were interviewed said they no longer own a TV because they ditched cable for online services, which they watch on mobile devices.

Again, I can't believe so many people think that OTA TV no longer exists and that owning a TV is pointless without cable or satellite! They could at least kept the TV, hooked up an antenna and watch free TV. Furthermore, I despise watching anything on a tablet because of the small screen. (And it also burns up your bandwidth). I don't care if it's a convenience, if I want to watch something TV related on the internet, I'll hook my computer up to my HDTV. (There's probably people that don't know about that either).
Gee, maybe where they live they no longer broadcast TV... like in Florida As I mentioned this several pages back, I was surprised at the techenical expertiese of those who didn't believe OTA existed, I sent them over links for Antenna Web, TV Fool, Rabbit Ears, etc & likely this went in one eye & out the other or straight to the trash can, everyone is pretty much content on paying $70+/month for shoddy service, & bad PQ... & that's the way it is & will be.... even my HOA told me to 'get cable like eveyone else.. & pay for TV like everyone should' . There are so few antenna installers & the few that are around are selective & charge a mint for labor, so I guess I'll continue with the attic setup for now.

As far as internet TV I'm relatively stupid on just how this works, I have a 3 mbps line that runs between 5-18 mbps, U-Toob crashes my PC, cant 'stream' nvideo let alone music, am not close enough to anyone that set this up, so I'm just as in the dark as the 'antenna wranglers' are on OTA.
post #4295 of 4297 Old Today, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Gee, maybe where they live they no longer broadcast TV... like in Florida As I mentioned this several pages back, I was surprised at the techenical expertiese of those who didn't believe OTA existed, I sent them over links for Antenna Web, TV Fool, Rabbit Ears, etc & likely this went in one eye & out the other or straight to the trash can, everyone is pretty much content on paying $70+/month for shoddy service, & bad PQ... & that's the way it is & will be.... even my HOA told me to 'get cable like eveyone else.. & pay for TV like everyone should' . There are so few antenna installers & the few that are around are selective & charge a mint for labor, so I guess I'll continue with the attic setup for now.

As far as internet TV I'm relatively stupid on just how this works, I have a 3 mbps line that runs between 5-18 mbps, U-Toob crashes my PC, cant 'stream' nvideo let alone music, am not close enough to anyone that set this up, so I'm just as in the dark as the 'antenna wranglers' are on OTA.
My 3 meg DSL cannot keep up with the smallest You Tube without stopping so I'm thinking you would have to have at least 12 megs and more for HD. And if they add any scripting (advertising)
you would have to think double that.
JJK
post #4296 of 4297 Old Today, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
My 3 meg DSL cannot keep up with the smallest You Tube without stopping so I'm thinking you would have to have at least 12 megs and more for HD. And if they add any scripting (advertising)
JJK
Do you have Windstream? They're notorious for slow DSL, especially when everyone gets home from work and jumps on Facebook, YouTube, Netflix & Hulu. They finally got their act together earlier this year and installed more servers to handle the traffic. I have the 6 MBPS service, and and night, the download speed was no faster than dial-up. Even the simplest sites dating back to the early years of the internet took forever to load.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4297 of 4297 Old Today, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
It's basically a U-Verse knock off, though AT&T keeps raising my landline by $2-3 every 3-4 months, plus the very limited calling area, I'm being forced at some point to dump the landline & go to a wireless service.. really though for my calling area (or lack thereof), I've become so anti-social that I have little need for long distance losing, a cell phone, etc, losing my contacts in the Cleveland dialing area (as they could not call me either).

Going to a wireless service creates another issue, I have to disconnect the network in the house from the grid to be able to use my phone jacks, so there goes the DSL ability. in a way I'm thinking about dumping everything (I really hate the new aero interfaces I'm forced to use too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
JJK
Lesssee, so I have to pay extra for higher speed internet to be force fed ads? I'm sure my lack of modern software also plays a part in this too... yes, it's that scripting, wigets & flash that crash the system.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List