Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4321 of 4346 Old 10-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have never received 35 analog very well from the beginning. When repositioning the antenna it was critical within tenths of a degree so I gave up on it. This was around 2003.
JJK
JJkizak is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4322 of 4346 Old 10-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
WEAO/49 is off the air this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I have never received 35 analog very well from the beginning. When repositioning the antenna it was critical within tenths of a degree so I gave up on it. This was around 2003.
JJK
I can get a fuzzy watchable picture with no multipath on 35 with my outdoor antenna. I get similar results with my coat-hanger antenna when placed in my backyard about 5 feet off the ground, so it appears that I'm getting a good grab of the maximum amount of power being thrown in my area. My uncle lives closer to their tower (~8 miles away) and 35 comes in no better than it does at my house, even trough his outdoor antenna is higher than mine. (He's kind of in their null).

35 (as well as 32, 53 & 65) was unknown to me until an antenna replacement and coaxial upgrade was performed back in 2002.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #4323 of 4346 Old 10-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
ace5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: OHIO
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Guys

I just unplugged the cable and going to antenna. I live near downtown in Tremont. The antenna will be inside on the 2nd floor. What would you suggest, omni or directional? Powered or not? I was looking at a Weingard MS-2000. Thanks!!!
ace5000 is offline  
post #4324 of 4346 Old 10-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd try indoor rabbit ears first (the cheap, unamplified ones), preferably in front of a south-facing window (since the transmitters are to the south of you in Parma). If it doesn't work reliably, then try a small, unamplified directional outdoor antenna.

Omni antennas (like the Weingard MS-2000) are usually not a good idea due to multipath, also all the stations are in the same direction, to the south of you (or SSE towards Akron), so there's no reason to use an omni where you are.

In Tremont, the signals should be very strong (you can see the towers ahead of you in the distance driving south on W14th) so you don't want anything amplified.

Make sure whatever you use has high-VHF 7-13 (as well as UHF) as Ch. 8 and 19 are on the VHF band,

If you want the Akron-based stations (23.x and 49.x) you will almost certainly need a rooftop antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post
Hello Guys

I just unplugged the cable and going to antenna. I live near downtown in Tremont. The antenna will be inside on the 2nd floor. What would you suggest, omni or directional? Powered or not? I was looking at a Weingard MS-2000. Thanks!!!

Last edited by nsa1062; 10-20-2014 at 07:48 AM.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #4325 of 4346 Old 10-20-2014, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Don't forget that some of the Cleveland stations have nulls towards Canada, which means less power being thrown in that direction, so rabbit ears may not be the best solution, especially for 19 and 25.

My recommendation; A compact UHF/VHF outdoor antenna (on the roof or by the south side in your attic) should be enough to reliably receive the all the Cleveland stations. However, an in-line switchable preamp may be required if you want to receive any of the Akron stations.

AntennaCraft HBU11 (expand menu)
RCA ANT751

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #4326 of 4346 Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
True, but even with nulls the signals should be super-strong in his area since he is so close and very much line-of-sight to the towers. The smaller RCA should be plenty unless he wants the Akron signals. The most important thing is to not use any type of amplified antenna, as that will certainly overload on the strong TV and FM signals in his area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Don't forget that some of the Cleveland stations have nulls towards Canada, which means less power being thrown in that direction, so rabbit ears may not be the best solution, especially for 19 and 25.

Last edited by nsa1062; 10-20-2014 at 09:50 AM.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #4327 of 4346 Old 10-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
True, but even with nulls the signals should be super-strong in his area since he is so close and very much line-of-sight to the towers. The smaller RCA should be plenty unless he wants the Akron signals. The most important thing is to not use any type of amplified antenna, as that will certainly overload on the strong TV and FM signals in his area.
I live in the Copley area, only about 1-2 miles from WVPX, WDLI, WOIO-LD and WEAO. I live in between all three of these towers. I use an amplified outdoor antenna, and I've never had any problems with overload on TV stations. Can anyone else confirm this? I wouldn't shy away from using an amplifier. It has definitely helped me.
Andrew K is offline  
post #4328 of 4346 Old 10-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
ace5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: OHIO
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's great info. guys - thanks!
ace5000 is offline  
post #4329 of 4346 Old 10-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
True, but even with nulls the signals should be super-strong in his area since he is so close and very much line-of-sight to the towers. The smaller RCA should be plenty unless he wants the Akron signals. The most important thing is to not use any type of amplified antenna, as that will certainly overload on the strong TV and FM signals in his area.
When you look at the TV Fool maps, Downtown Cleveland is in the green (strong-medium) area for WOIO and WVIZ due to their heavy nulls. All the other full power stations are within the red or orange. (Very strong-strong). I understand that the original poster has a direct line-of-sight of the towers, (I can see them from I-490 by the steelyards), but just because you can see the tower doesn't mean the reception is going to be perfectly clear or interference free. WAOH is a good example.

Based on the reviews on Amazon the RCA ANT751 performs well for it's size, so receiving the Akron stations shouldn't be a problem, especially if the OP is going to use it on the second floor or attic.

And yes, the preamp would only be for the Akron stations. Definitely don't want to use that for the Cleveland stations. That's why I mentioned switchable, one with an on/off switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I live in the Copley area, only about 1-2 miles from WVPX, WDLI, WOIO-LD and WEAO. I live in between all three of these towers. I use an amplified outdoor antenna, and I've never had any problems with overload on TV stations. Can anyone else confirm this? I wouldn't shy away from using an amplifier. It has definitely helped me.
Is it on? Maybe the amp isn't enough to cause problems. In the analog era, all your Akron stations would be polluted with snow.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #4330 of 4346 Old 10-21-2014, 01:13 AM
Senior Member
 
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Aprx 30 miles South of Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I live in the Copley area, only about 1-2 miles from WVPX, WDLI, WOIO-LD and WEAO.

I live in between all three of these towers. I use an amplified outdoor antenna,
and I've never had any problems with overload on TV stations.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I wouldn't shy away from using an amplifier. It has definitely helped me.




Yeah, I remember years ago, I called an electronics place out of state. I wanted a preamp (Titan). The guy did not recommend it, due to Ch23 overloading. I wanted anyway.
Turned out to be a good setup in getting clean, upper UHF signals (ie 61 and 43). Yes, 23 was a bit of problem when I rotated to the YNG stations, but an inline
signal attenuator solved that problem.

I have moved. I currently have my ClearStream4 in the living room which connects back to my dying DigitalStream Converter Box, which is connected to my Philips DVR in my bedroom. I had a problem the other day getting the DigitalStream box to respond with its On/Off button and via the remote. Finally got it going again by unplugging/plugging in the AC cord. I suspect a bad cap, perhaps.

I may try to fix the box, but meanwhile, I'm searching for a replacement. Any recommendations? I looked at the RCA box at the Walmart site. Too many negative reviews on it.

I'm picking up 21 and 27 YNG. Got 52 briefly last week. Probably would get it if I manually rotate the antenna. The antenna now points ENE.

While I'm typing this, I unhooked the antenna line from the CB hooked it up to my Philips TV and just did an Antenna Scan (I'm also on Cable). It just now finished. The results are: 1 Analog and 37 Digital channels. 29 is snowy with static audio. Problematical 49 is apparently off the air - again. I did get 45.

Ok, back to the DigitalStream CB:

So, with the ClearStream4 pointed to the ENE for optimizing ch17, I have these at the moment:


Code:


Ch     Meter Level

 3           79 
 5           56 
 8            0 (Perhaps I may get the VHF Kit to add to this antenna.)  
17           85 
19           47 
21           40 
23           68 
25           47 
27           31 (Breakup as level dips into the 20s) 
43           37 
45           32 (Breakup as level dips into the 20s) 
47           49 
49            0 (Off Air?) 
52           12 (Level Too Low - No Pic/Sound) 
55           77 
61           53 




.

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Win7 Pro and FireFox 33 on Desktop.
CleCakYngMfd is offline  
post #4331 of 4346 Old 10-21-2014, 03:46 AM
Member
 
greenpjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I live in the Copley area, only about 1-2 miles from WVPX, WDLI, WOIO-LD and WEAO. I live in between all three of these towers. I use an amplified outdoor antenna, and I've never had any problems with overload on TV stations. Can anyone else confirm this? I wouldn't shy away from using an amplifier. It has definitely helped me.
Remember that TV transmitting antennas transmit most of the signal out towards the horizon rather than wasting it up and down. You may be close enough that the signal received at your house isn't that strong because most of it is going horizontally from the towers.
greenpjs is offline  
post #4332 of 4346 Old 10-21-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I get 53 and the 24 repeater sometimes but never got a whiff of 27.
JJK
JJkizak is online now  
post #4333 of 4346 Old 10-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Their website says they will be off until Oct. 23. Wonder why they have so many transmitter problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
WEAO/49 is off the air this morning.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #4334 of 4346 Old 10-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpjs View Post
Remember that TV transmitting antennas transmit most of the signal out towards the horizon rather than wasting it up and down. You may be close enough that the signal received at your house isn't that strong because most of it is going horizontally from the towers.
I'm not sure if that's true or not. I'm just saying that from my experience, I've never had an overload problem with digital TV signals, and I've lived in different areas around the city of Akron. I know the same can't be said for FM radio where I live. There are a few FM transmitters within a mile or two of my house that overpower a large chunk of the FM dial and obliterate all the weaker FM stations from existence. From what I've read, it's called blanketing interference that causes a hissing sound across the entire FM dial, therefore weakening everything else. And even the more expensive radios with good selectivity and sensitivity can't stop the problem. There's also an overload issue on FM called intermodulation mixing, where two powerful signals combine to cause interference on a third frequency... just try listening to 100.1 WNIR when driving near the 89.7, 97.5 and 94.9 towers. If you do the math... 97.5 - 94.9 = 2.6, add 2.6 to 97.5, and you get 100.1. Or 94.9 - 89.7 = 5.2, add 5.2 to 94.9, and you get 100.1. That's why if you ever drive in near these towers, 100.1 gets obliterated and you hear it overpowered by these stations.

I've never had this problem with any digital TV stations. I am able to receive everything available to me, even the weaker Youngstown stations. And the amplifier helps. So that's why I would recommend it.

Last edited by Andrew K; 10-21-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Andrew K is offline  
post #4335 of 4346 Old 10-21-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
There are a few FM transmitters within a mile or two of my house that overpower a large chunk of the FM dial and obliterate all the weaker FM stations from existence. From what I've read, it's called blanketing interference that causes a hissing sound across the entire FM dial, therefore weakening everything else. .
Was it 92.3 that used to do this along the I-271 cooridor around Warrensville, I never really noted this untill I had an signal amp installed that worked great out west.

Speaking of obliterate, what is going on with this site?? the Ads & widgets are making this site choppy & slow. The internet was something good once upon a time, now being obliterated by ads & malware.
Bismarck440 is online now  
post #4336 of 4346 Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Was it 92.3 that used to do this along the I-271 cooridor around Warrensville, I never really noted this untill I had an signal amp installed that worked great out west.
Yes, that's a good example too. Just drive on I-271, and when you get near the 92.3/95.5 tower in Warrensville Heights, which is next to the highway, it obliterates any weak signals that come from Akron and Youngstown. Once you're a couple miles away from the tower, everything returns to normal.

Also I notice when driving near the 640 WHLO tower, I get their signal on 1280 kHz, which is 2x 640. That is why TV amplifiers have FM traps... many nearby powerful FM frequencies, when doubled, cause interference with high VHF TV channels 7-13.

Last edited by Andrew K; 10-21-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Andrew K is offline  
post #4337 of 4346 Old 10-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All the sites are adding adds and scripts. The problem with the scripts is once they start your computer is locked on them until they finish unless you go to another site. These actions turn me into a Tasmanian Devel.
JJK
JJkizak is online now  
post #4338 of 4346 Old 10-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Maybe not 1-2 miles away as the signal is practically raining on you, but if you are almost right up to the tower, then the majority of the signal would be 400 to 700 feet above the ground. The West Creek Reservation just put a parking lot right in front of WOIO's tower, and if you sat in the parking lot with a portable TV and a good antenna, the reception of WOIO would probably be roughly the same as if you were 15-20 miles away. Drive 1-2 miles south of anyone's tower and the reception will likely be pegged at 100%.

AM signals are different as the signal is much closer to the ground, so being closer to their tower(s) (and sometimes in the right direction from the towers) will improve reception. Unless you live by blowtorch 1100, most vacant frequencies (and some used frequencies) will have WTAM bleeding over them. Driving past their respective towers, I have had 1100 bleed over 1260, dispite the two being less than a mile apart, 1220 bleed over 1260, and 1260 bleed over 1220.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #4339 of 4346 Old 10-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Member
 
jxg0754's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
W16DO-D is now gone, it is now listed as W35AX's Digital Companion Channel, http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=W35AX
WAKN's Digital Application has been dismissed and is no longer listed in the FCC Query http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WAKN
jxg0754 is online now  
post #4340 of 4346 Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Maybe not 1-2 miles away as the signal is practically raining on you, but if you are almost right up to the tower, then the majority of the signal would be 400 to 700 feet above the ground. The West Creek Reservation just put a parking lot right in front of WOIO's tower, and if you sat in the parking lot with a portable TV and a good antenna, the reception of WOIO would probably be roughly the same as if you were 15-20 miles away. Drive 1-2 miles south of anyone's tower and the reception will likely be pegged at 100%.
That's a good point. This reminds me of the time I went in the CN Tower in Toronto with my handheld TV just to try it out. I went up to the observation deck at around 1,100 feet above ground, and I had difficulty receiving anything that actually broadcast from that tower because I was still a few hundred feet below the transmitters. Yet I could easily receive distant stations.
Andrew K is offline  
post #4341 of 4346 Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Tim Lones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question:
Has anyone tried the Mohu Leaf-50 indoor amplified antenna?..I am really yearning to get some OTA TV. Anyone in the Canton area tried this?..If so how did it work?..According to the Antenna Web type sites, I should get 17, 23, 24 (19) 27, 45 and 47. Just solid signals most of the time from these stations would satisfy me..Anything else would be a bonus..
Tim Lones is offline  
post #4342 of 4346 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Decades

If we had a CBS owned station here..

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/80197/cbs-oos-weigel-to-launch-decades-diginet

Decades will draw from a library of more than 100 classic television series, including select titles from the CBS library such as I Love Lucy from the 1950s, Star Trek from the 1960s, Happy Days from the 1970s and Cheers from the 1980s, as well as a wide selection of theatrical and made-for-television movies and footage of historical news events from the archives of CBS News and Entertainment Tonight.

Decades is expected to debut during the second quarter of 2015, with the 16 CBS-owned stations that are part of the CBS Television Network serving as the new service’s launch group. This includes the CBS stations serving New York City (WCBS), Los Angeles (KCBS), Chicago (WBBM), Philadelphia (KYW), Dallas (KTVT), San Francisco (KPIX), Boston (WBZ), Detroit (WWJ), Minneapolis-St. Paul (WCCO and its satellite stations KCCO and KCCW), Miami (WFOR), Denver (KCNC), Sacramento (KOVR), Pittsburgh (KDKA) and Baltimore (WJZ).


OTA Newbie likes this.
Bismarck440 is online now  
post #4343 of 4346 Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
If we had a CBS owned station here..

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/80197/cbs-oos-weigel-to-launch-decades-diginet

Decades will draw from a library of more than 100 classic television series, including select titles from the CBS library such as I Love Lucy from the 1950s, Star Trek from the 1960s, Happy Days from the 1970s and Cheers from the 1980s, as well as a wide selection of theatrical and made-for-television movies and footage of historical news events from the archives of CBS News and Entertainment Tonight.

Decades is expected to debut during the second quarter of 2015, with the 16 CBS-owned stations that are part of the CBS Television Network serving as the new service’s launch group. This includes the CBS stations serving New York City (WCBS), Los Angeles (KCBS), Chicago (WBBM), Philadelphia (KYW), Dallas (KTVT), San Francisco (KPIX), Boston (WBZ), Detroit (WWJ), Minneapolis-St. Paul (WCCO and its satellite stations KCCO and KCCW), Miami (WFOR), Denver (KCNC), Sacramento (KOVR), Pittsburgh (KDKA) and Baltimore (WJZ).

I wonder if Decades will be a re-branded Me-TV seeing that the network will be co-owned with Weigel. Furthermore, I hope that the mentioned shows don't get yanked off of Me-TV due to licensing rights with Decades.

Decades may also give Detroit viewers a chance to finally see some shows that are played on Me-TV. Detroit area residents constantly request Me-TV, but none of the local stations show any interest.

I'm still waiting for a COZI outlet here in the Cleveland area. Hopefully WEWS will add COZI once ABC pulls the plug on Live Well, though I would rather see it on WKYC 3.2. (Less problematic and no reruns of local programming).
OTA Newbie likes this.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #4344 of 4346 Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Aprx 30 miles South of Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post

Has anyone tried the Mohu Leaf-50 indoor amplified antenna?

Anyone in the Canton area tried this? If so how did it work?

According to the Antenna Web type sites, I should get 17, 23, 24 (19) 27, 45 and 47.

Just solid signals most of the time from these stations would satisfy me.

Anything else would be a bonus.



"Good performer, but cheaper antennas might perform just as well. Reviews say the Mohu Leaf largely delivers what it promises, especially for UHF reception. However, whether it performs better than some cheaper antennas like the RadioShack Budget TV Antenna (Est. $15) is more a factor of where you live relative to your TV broadcasters than anything else." (http://www.consumersearch.com)


Complete Mohu Leaf Review:
http://www.consumersearch.com/tv-antennas/mohu-leaf


Best Indoor UHF TV Antenna Reviews:
http://www.consumersearch.com/tv-ant...hf-tv-antennas

Link:
Bing Search on Mohu Leaf 50 Antenna


Link:
Google Search - Going Back a Year to Current












.

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Win7 Pro and FireFox 33 on Desktop.
CleCakYngMfd is offline  
post #4345 of 4346 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rluyster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canton OH
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post
Question:
Has anyone tried the Mohu Leaf-50 indoor amplified antenna?..I am really yearning to get some OTA TV. Anyone in the Canton area tried this?..If so how did it work?..According to the Antenna Web type sites, I should get 17, 23, 24 (19) 27, 45 and 47. Just solid signals most of the time from these stations would satisfy me..Anything else would be a bonus..
Many years ago the best performing indoor UHF antenna I had was one similar to the attached photo. I don't know if anyone even makes them any longer. So much depends on where you're located and what's between you and the transmitter you want to receive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bowtie.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	326017  
rluyster is offline  
post #4346 of 4346 Old Today, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I wonder if Decades will be a re-branded Me-TV seeing that the network will be co-owned with Weigel. Furthermore, I hope that the mentioned shows don't get yanked off of Me-TV due to licensing rights with Decades.

Decades may also give Detroit viewers a chance to finally see some shows that are played on Me-TV. Detroit area residents constantly request Me-TV, but none of the local stations show any interest.

I'm still waiting for a COZI outlet here in the Cleveland area. Hopefully WEWS will add COZI once ABC pulls the plug on Live Well, though I would rather see it on WKYC 3.2. (Less problematic and no reruns of local programming).
3.2? What, no weather sub, how about 3.3? I guess competing with the Weather Channel makes it not worth their while.

I suppose 16 will get a block of them & likely will be a non-existant or problamatic channel for me much like 53 or 17. Several posts back it was remarked that their tower height was sufficent to get over the ridge, another reasoning for the null? Strange they asre going to use the identical channel pair (16 RF, 35 virtual) as WSEE.

On the other board they are discussing the resurection of WRAP, which was a Music Video east side station, of all the LP's I got that in the best untill WXOX 65 bumped their power (where did they go?). I don't expect to see either of these again with the shrinking band & as they have gone dark for quite some time.

Speaking of WRAP, I always hear folks that miss the early years of MTV, though no one has yet to emulate a music video diginet aside of The Tube.
Bismarck440 is online now  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off