post #4351 of 4359 Old 10-24-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
IIRC, WRAP cut a deal to change from class A on 32 to regular LP, so WJW could move back to 31, which never happened (and probably never will now).
I'm not sure they were even on the air at that point.

WKOX is the current WLFM-LP 6, operating as a radio station (Spanish language "La Mega 87.7", formerly rocker "87.7 Cleveland's Sound"). They actually had to abandon 65 early since Verizon Wireless bought the spectrum.
My bad I forgot about how that WXOX thing evolved, 65 at the end threw a pretty decent signal my way at the end, I don't know if 6 digital is going to be in & when.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 4359 Old 10-25-2014, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
My bad I forgot about how that WXOX thing evolved, 65 at the end threw a pretty decent signal my way at the end, I don't know if 6 digital is going to be in & when.
The current ownership is operating it solely as a radio station.

The FCC recently put out a NPRM to explore the possibility of those analog 6 LPTV stations going digital AND keeping an "87.7" analog FM signal.

Don't know if it is possible, technically, but they're apparently going to look into it...anyway, the deadline for analog LPTV to go digital, originally next September, is being put on hold temporarily...
post #4353 of 4359 Old 10-27-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ye olde WXOX

Quote:

I live by the towers. 65 was the crappiest signal of all the LP's here. I actually got a watchable ch 29 out of Akron when I lived in Seven Hills. I watched it in the days leading up to 35 going on the air. I even have a VHS recording of 35's initial sign-on somewhere.

Every LP except for WRAP was/is on the WBNX tower. I was 1 mile east when I lived in Seven Hills and now I'm 1 mile south of the tower in Parma.

How in the world did ch 65 make it out to Mentor when here at ground zero their signal was nearly zero? They must have had a directional signal aimed towards the northeast, and a severe null in my direction.
post #4354 of 4359 Old 10-27-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

I live by the towers. 65 was the crappiest signal of all the LP's here. I actually got a watchable ch 29 out of Akron when I lived in Seven Hills. I watched it in the days leading up to 35 going on the air. I even have a VHS recording of 35's initial sign-on somewhere.

Every LP except for WRAP was/is on the WBNX tower. I was 1 mile east when I lived in Seven Hills and now I'm 1 mile south of the tower in Parma.

How in the world did ch 65 make it out to Mentor when here at ground zero their signal was nearly zero? They must have had a directional signal aimed towards the northeast, and a severe null in my direction.
WXOX was actually the second strongest LP station for me, that is, with a straight connection to the antenna. (No splitters, VCR's, etc. in between). If a (dollar store) splitter was used in the setup, the result was interference from WBNX. Through the wavy diagonal lines of interference, you could actually make out the WBNX CW bug drifting across the screen. WBNX's presence could be made out on several unused channels as well as WOIO.

WRAP, as far as I know, is broadcasting a dinky .07kW analog signal towards the south in Shaker Heights on top of an apartment building. I don't exactly remember the reason of moving the 32 analog broadcasts from downtown, but apparently they are still waiting for an application approval to broadcast a non-directional digital signal off of WJW's tower, also on 32.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4355 of 4359 Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

The signal probably was going over your head ... Like explained on the last page??

I used to see the towers Looking West over the valley on clear nights when I was in Maple Heights.

WXOX provided a picture with grainyness but very watchable out this way (much like ION did some of the time. When it was downtown 32 WRAP had a clear unobstructed trip out my way (just not as powerful) & 35 & 53 (&17) were nonexistant.

As I said before, West is Best, & all roads lead to Akron for Cleveland TV! the LD's apparently would not make it over the ledge or were intentionally nulled (35). I kinda wondered if there was a shadow along Euclid Avenue, Euclid eastward, my aunt always had Telerama Cable when living in Richmond Gardens & Willow Arms.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 10-28-2014 at 10:05 AM.
post #4356 of 4359 Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
WXOX provided a picture with grainyness but very watchable out this way (much like ION did some of the time. When it was downtown 32 WRAP had a clear unobstructed trip out my way (just not as powerful) & 35 & 53 (&17) were nonexistant.
I remember faintly receiving WXOX on a car trip out by Newbury/Punderson Lake Park on a handheld TV just weeks before abandoning the channel. With a good outdoor antenna, I bet the reception of WXOX would have been very close to how W35AX comes in at my house. (Stable image with heavy static).

I knew someone from Copley that told me he was able to receive WRAP with his outdoor antenna, despite the sharp null in his direction. WRAP's protected contour seemed to be very small, though anyone miles away from it could pick up a solid weak signal. When I saw WRAP for the first time back in 2002, they were (if I'm not mistaken) airing MTV2. After talking to some friends about 32 back in middle school, one of them told me it was likely someone illegally rebroadcasting MTV2 from their homemade transmitter. Of course, this was before I knew about researching licensed stations on the the FCC quarry and later sites like TV Fool & Rabbitears. Too bad none of these great sites retain the old analog coverage maps for historical purposes.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4357 of 4359 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I remember faintly receiving WXOX on a car trip out by Newbury/Punderson Lake Park on a handheld TV just weeks before abandoning the channel. With a good outdoor antenna, I bet the reception of WXOX would have been very close to how W35AX comes in at my house. (Stable image with heavy static).

I When I saw WRAP for the first time back in 2002, they were (if I'm not mistaken) airing MTV2. After talking to some friends about 32 back in middle school, one of them told me it was likely someone illegally rebroadcasting MTV2 from their homemade transmitter. Of course, this was before I knew about researching licensed stations on the the FCC quarry and later sites like TV Fool & Rabbitears..
32 was showing Rap videos back in '98 (Thus wRAP)... not really what interested me at the time, & they seemed to repeat a lot, so the theory of paying to play was likely correct.

I had to Wiki MTV 2 since I did not watch any cable at all & was unfamiliar with it's offerings.... the All Music video never really continued on even on Cable, I would be surprised that MTV would allow such to be broadcast OTA.... but I guess anything is possible too.
post #4358 of 4359 Old Today, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Mohu Leaf-50 Came yesterday..It was a refurbished model off of ebay..

It was pretty easy to assemble..However, when I put the amplifier on I got almost no channels..A whiff of Channel 23 is all. Just on a whim, I took off the amplifier and amazingly, depending on the placement of the antenna, I got between 14 and 22 channels without an amplifier, This is in the 900 block of Wertz Ave. SW in Canton..Channels received included 17,23, 27, 39, 45, 47 and 49..A total of 29 channels if they all come in at the same time. Hoping with time some others come in..The antenna did pretty much what I hoped it would do. Relatively happy with it..Included is a screenshot of WKBN-27 Youngstown News as posted at 6:05 AM on an Insignia 19" TV in our living room. As of 6:30 It's still a solid picture..No pixellating at all..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROKUWKBN.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	340090  

Last edited by Tim Lones; Today at 03:44 AM. Reason: Add info
post #4359 of 4359 Old Today, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
"Good performer, but cheaper antennas might perform just as well. Reviews say the Mohu Leaf largely delivers what it promises, especially for UHF reception. However, whether it performs better than some cheaper antennas like the RadioShack Budget TV Antenna (Est. $15) is more a factor of where you live relative to your TV broadcasters than anything else." (http://www.consumersearch.com)
Where you live, where you mount it, your TV Tuner sensitivity, your height & building construction all play a factor. I had a Terk outdoor antenna inside my house & it worked no better if not worse than a cheap pair of rabbit ears. An indoor antenna in my case may yeild 1 or 2 stations, quite the contrary from what Antenna Fool & the other sites tout.

If I had the time my Ollies has few different flat amplified antennas for sale, I'm tempted to test them out & possibly keep one if it actually performs.

The only station I get now on my main set since my outdoor antenna was 'compromised' on Memorial day is surprisingly WUAB & it's subs... so 3 channels & one station, @ 28-29 miles from the farm.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page