ID:	420265  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2014, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 21
WQHS must still be adjusting their bandwidth. Get TV looks a bit better today, but Escape looks really bad, like Create on 25.4. Artifacting is less noticeable on my CRT/Zenith DTT-901 setup. WQHS must have a very good encoder to transmit two 1080i channels, though fade effects take a toll on the PQ.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Univision has been rolling out 2x1080/2x480 encoders on many of its stations nationwide. The only ones where that is not yet being done, to my knowledge, are the few markets where one station is owned by Univision and the other by Entravision.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 12-14-2014, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Get TV looks a bit better today, but Escape looks really bad, like Create on 25.4.
Caught Get TV on cable before the conversion and the quality was very good. You could see all the fine detail in the black and white film. Too bad they didn't film "All in the Family" and "3's Company" instead of using video. The old Plumicon video just looks terrible compared to film and solid state imaging.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 61.3 and 61.4 have not taken the hit that all of you have experienced. They haven't changed at all but who knows in the future.
JJK
Old 12-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Agreed these look good for 2 1080i's with relatively static images on both, but wait until there's a soccer match on 61.1, I'll bet that'll not be pretty.
WFMJ has been running 2 1080i's since summer. They run ACC on WBCB Saturday afternoons this fall. On NBC they had Barclay's Premier Soccer or Notre Dame. 2 simultaneous football games looked darn good. Some artifacts, but I've seen worse on other stations doing only 1 HD and 1 SD.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freekick123 View Post
WFMJ has been running 2 1080i's since summer. They run ACC on WBCB Saturday afternoons this fall. On NBC they had Barclay's Premier Soccer or Notre Dame. 2 simultaneous football games looked darn good. Some artifacts, but I've seen worse on other stations doing only 1 HD and 1 SD.
WKBN used to run two HD channels until they were able to put WYFX on a repeater. I am not able to receive anything from this repeater, just a blip on the signal detector.

By the way, I can only receive WFMJ with my Insignia STB which doesn't display HD. My HD TV cannot pick up either WFMJ or WYTV because they're too weak at my location. But the Insignia picks these up 24/7. And it's less fickle... the antenna doesn't have to be perfectly pointed in order for it to receive a watchable stable picture.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
WKBN used to run two HD channels until they were able to put WYFX on a repeater. I am not able to receive anything from this repeater, just a blip on the signal detector.

By the way, I can only receive WFMJ with my Insignia STB which doesn't display HD. My HD TV cannot pick up either WFMJ or WYTV because they're too weak at my location. But the Insignia picks these up 24/7. And it's less fickle... the antenna doesn't have to be perfectly pointed in order for it to receive a watchable stable picture.
Andrew, that's a 93" boom on that antenna?

I was looking at the Colorstream Flyswatters @ better buys the other day... read the reviews all from out west where these would perform well anyway.
Old Today, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Seems to me that 61.4 is especially bad on dark and fast-changing scenes, wasn't that bad a couple weeks ago. Though I don't watch the channel all that much. 61.3 seems somewhat better, but still more artifacts than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
My 61.3 and 61.4 have not taken the hit that all of you have experienced. They haven't changed at all but who knows in the future.
JJK
Old Today, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I remember receiving WKBN on occasional tropo when they were running 2 HD's, and the CBS picture was definitely much softer than the same feed on WOIO (though I think WKBN was running 720p CBS at the time).

I have to admit that WFMJ's 2 1080i's looked very good when I last received the station (a couple of months ago I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post