post #4501 of 4510 Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterryu View Post
He basically determined that it was interference and not signal strength. Beyond that he couldn't tell. He suggested I contact the FCC (which I have) to report the interference. He suggested that it could be anything from someone broadcasting via a ham radio to a business using handheld radios. Both of which the FCC would shut down if they were indeed the cause of the interference.

Joel was reluctant to recommend getting a rotor or a filter. He basically said that both were a crapshoot unless we knew exactly what the cause was. He said the filter was more of a sure thing, but those have to be made to filter out the specific interference.

I asked him about an amplifier, but he also said that wouldn't help since the signal strength wasn't the issue.
Was curious what type of antenna Joel set you up with, & are you close to Rt 2? (from your description would place you a bit north of 2 between 306 & LN), possibly interference from traffic? My friend in Chesterland gets a lot of Truck/Semi Traffic that sees to knock the signal around when they pass her house (of course she is also using an indoor at road level), was going to suggest she call the Antenna Man II.

So this is constant? My issues with 19 seems to come & go..

I'm using a small Amp for my attic antenna, & was really unsure what kind of amp was on the Outdoor Antenna (when it was still functional)? I used to get better results out this way with the Amp.

Still think it's a nominal signal coupled with CFPL interference.

Correct, I can't see throwing too much $$ after this either especially when I'm suppose to have access to a common antenna maintained by my HOA, that pay for anyway. - & me thinks the HOA will have an installed antenna (by me or otherwise) to be removed & destroyed when the place is reroofed in a couple years.

Last edited by Bismarck440; Yesterday at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4510 Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
He basically determined that it was interference and not signal strength. Beyond that he couldn't tell. He suggested I contact the FCC (which I have) to report the interference. He suggested that it could be anything from someone broadcasting via a ham radio to a business using handheld radios. Both of which the FCC would shut down if they were indeed the cause of the interference.

The lines are not 100% of the time. They appear about 1-2 seconds at a time, then are gone for 5-10. Sometimes it's 1-2 lines, other times it's much more significant.

Joel was reluctant to recommend getting a rotor or a filter. He basically said that both were a crapshoot unless we knew exactly what the cause was. He said the filter was more of a sure thing, but those have to be made to filter out the specific interference.

I asked him about an amplifier, but he also said that wouldn't help since the signal strength wasn't the issue.
CFPL from London, Ontario is likely causing the interference since they and WOIO share the same RF channel. The lake allows CFPL's signal to travel farther due to the flat terrain. WOIO also transmits less power towards that area in order to protect CFPL, making the problem worse. Viewers who live on the east side near the lake typically experience problems receiving WOIO due to CFPL's interference.

You mentioned that the "lines" disappeared when the installer was by the antenna. He was probably absorbing the CFPL interference, effectively nulling out the station.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4503 of 4510 Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Was curious what type of antenna Joel set you up with, & are you close to Rt 2? (from your description would place you a bit north of 2 between 306 & LN), possibly interference from traffic? My friend in Chesterland gets a lot of Truck/Semi Traffic that sees to knock the signal around when they pass her house (of course she is also using an indoor at road level), was going to suggest she call the Antenna Man II.

So this is constant? My issues with 19 seems to come & go..

I'm using a small Amp for my attic antenna, & was really unsure what kind of amp was on the Outdoor Antenna (when it was still functional)? I used to get better results out this way with the Amp.

Still think it's a nominal signal coupled with CFPL interference.

Correct, I can't see throwing too much $$ after this either especially when I'm suppose to have access to a common antenna maintained by my HOA, that pay for anyway. - & me thinks the HOA will have an installed antenna (by me or otherwise) to be removed & destroyed when the place is reroofed in a couple years.
You have the location almost exactly. Yes, just north of Rt 2 and between 306 & Lost Nation.

The issue come and goes. Yesterday morning before I left for work (6am) it was perfect for 20 minutes or so I watched it. By the time I got home, it was pretty bad. By 9pm, it was tolerable. Sometimes it's a line here and there which is tolerable. Others it's all over the place. It's weird in that the parts picture that don't get lines are still clear.

Mine is probably close to 25-30' in the air since my house is pretty tall. One of the things we did was we actually switched to a smaller, less powerful antenna and that did seem to help. Joel's theory was that it might be less sensitive and pick up less interference. This did help significantly, but at the times when the interference is more persistent it's still bad.
post #4504 of 4510 Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
And don't forget lightning - when WKYC was on RF2, if there was a thunderstorm within 50 or 100 miles, the reception would always be a constantly freezing and pixelating mess.

Also summertime E-Skip would frequently wipe out reception completely.
I was one of the lucky ones that was able to receive WKYC's digital RF 2. The signal was solid most of the time, but flipping on a light switch or turning on an appliance often made the picture go bananas. Every time the dryer beeped, the picture would lightly break up. I found it funny how an alarm could screw up the reception.

For me, WOIO and WJW break up during a thunderstorm, but the lightning has to be very close to my house.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4505 of 4510 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I was one of the lucky ones that was able to receive WKYC's digital RF 2. The signal was solid most of the time, but flipping on a light switch or turning on an appliance often made the picture go bananas. Every time the dryer beeped, the picture would lightly break up. I found it funny how an alarm could screw up the reception.

For me, WOIO and WJW break up during a thunderstorm, but the lightning has to be very close to my house.
I have a feeling my wife is going to think I'm crazy now. I'm going to have to go home tonight and try watching with various lights/electronics on now.
post #4506 of 4510 Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

My antenna was installed on a 2 story unit, & believe Joel had installed it &/or at least serviced it at some point. It was suggested by a few in other fourms here I "take control" of this antenna for my own since they don't want to upkeep it, but they don't believe OTA exists anymore.

Did Joel even remotely suggest what Snowdog & I are saying? this interferences seem to peak during the solstice times (mid June/December), but I note it more here in the summer/early fall.

Kind of wonder if the FCC could help on my issue if my feed line was indeed cut, the HOA cleverly changed some of the bylaws to have Building Television Cable listed as a "utility" & no longer a part of common/limited common, as they basically invited the Cable company in to do as they please with building wiring.

Snowdog, Lightning/rain also effiects 25 & 55 here too.
post #4507 of 4510 Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
My antenna was installed on a 2 story unit, & believe Joel had installed it &/or at least serviced it at some point. It was suggested by a few in other fourms here I "take control" of this antenna for my own since they don't want to upkeep it, but they don't believe OTA exists anymore.

Did Joel even remotely suggest what Snowdog & I are saying? this interferences seem to peak during the solstice times (mid June/December), but I note it more here in the summer/early fall.

Kind of wonder if the FCC could help on my issue if my feed line was indeed cut, the HOA cleverly changed some of the bylaws to have Building Television Cable listed as a "utility" & no longer a part of common/limited common, as they basically invited the Cable company in to do as they please with building wiring.

Snowdog, Lightning/rain also effiects 25 & 55 here too.
Joel did not mention anything regarding time of year. He did say that the possibility of having less interference during the spring/summer/fall months due to leaves on the trees potentially weakening whatever it is that is interfering.

I'm not sure if the FCC can\will help you. There is quite list of things they can help with. It's an online form that you can fill out. Here is the link: http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
post #4508 of 4510 Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing about refusal to allow antennas, that would be covered by OTARD. yours would fall under signal issues/DTV issues...

Broadcast (TV and Radio), Cable, and Satellite Issues Details
  • Obscene or indecent programs
  • Unlawful or illegal advertising
  • Disability access
  • Emergency alerts
  • Unauthorized/unfair/biased/illegal broadcasts
  • Cable modem or signal issues
  • DTV issues
  • CableCARD issues
  • Loud Commercials
Joel is down from the Medina area, I thought the Antenna Man might be more aware of the reception issues to the east.
Would think he (Joel) would be familiar with it, the reception with the common antenna here was actually great for the most part, too bad they did not want to upkeep the system.

You wouldn't think that interference would be coming over the freeway either from Machinery over on Industrial Park on the south side of 2?

Last edited by Bismarck440; Yesterday at 12:52 PM.
post #4509 of 4510 Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Joel did not mention anything regarding time of year. He did say that the possibility of having less interference during the spring/summer/fall months due to leaves on the trees potentially weakening whatever it is that is interfering.

I'm not sure if the FCC can\will help you. There is quite list of things they can help with. It's an online form that you can fill out. Here is the link: http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
There is a good chance that it could be interference from CFPL across the lake. I remember back in the analog days, it didn't take much for CFPL to make it into Lake and Cuyahoga Counties like it was local. I know that communities that surround Lake Erie are more prone to tropospheric ducting than inland locations like Akron. I just remember driving back from Lorain one night when I was receiving 102.5 from Buffalo just like it was local, but yet there was almost no trace of tropo activity when I got back to Akron. If it's CFPL, then I don't think there's anything you can do to completely get rid of it. You can try to minimize it by reaiming the antenna with a rotator to null out CFPL.
post #4510 of 4510 Old Today, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Don't get your hopes up regarding the FCC shutting anybody down. That would be true if the ham or business was transmitting illegally (i.e., outside their licensed frequencies or will higher power than allowed) but that is almost never the case. Usually the problem is with the TV being overloaded by legal signals that it receives even though they are not on the TV channel being watched. When that is the case, the FCC can't help. If the source of the signal can be found, a filter can be used to keep the TV from being overloaded, but doing so is never easy. Good luck.
Pat
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page