Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 152 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #4531 of 4537 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which is what makes me think it is not CFPL, the signal strength would not "dance around", it would change very slowing as the signal fades (if tropo). or stays constant (if not tropo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterryu View Post
Let me try to explain it from two angles. 1st what I see on the screen, second what my box shows me for signal strength.
Signal strength:
Setting the station to 19.1 or 19.2 I go to the info screen on my receiver which shoes signal strength. It dances around. It's either 100 or a number between 80-90. Most of the time it's at 100, but flickers randomly to a number between 80-90. So it's not like it's moving around anywhere between 80-100. So it'll sit at 100, and every 2-5 seconds it will dance to 84, or 86.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4537 Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
It could be electrical interference. Do you live near power lines or transformers? A good way to test this is to tune an AM radio to a low frequency and listen for any harsh noise. I know that at my house, the dimmable light switches make it impossible to hear 570 WKBN unless I turn them off. If it's electrical interference on WOIO, you can see if there is any correlation to what the AM radio reveals, as the AM radio is much more sensitive to electrical interference than the high-VHF.
Depends on what you consider nearby. I'd say about a mile away is some power lines that are part of the main power grid (High tension power lines). I live in a new development and all of the power is underground.

I've tried looking inside the house for issues too and have included trying to turn everything off except the TV with the same result. For what it's worth, Joel said he could see the interference even while up on the roof and connected directly to his equipment.
post #4533 of 4537 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterryu View Post
As for the $450... to me it didn't seem that bad. Joel was out with his co-worker/employee for about 4 hours. The Antenna itself if I wanted to just purchase from him was $150. So $300 for a trip charge, 4 hours of labor doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Even still, I was paying $85/month to DirectTV for what amounts to their basic package with a HDPVR. After you get out of your initial contract period with them they really screw you. So I'll break even in 5 months, which is a good ROI for me.

I'm checking with another company that is local to the area and possibly has more experience with 19 out this way.

What are thoughts on adding an amplifier? Would that help?
I was kind of expecting $225-$250 for the basic install (which is the going rate for this service.. if you believe what you read on the internet), true though, I never had cable or Pay TV, & never will... just hard pill to swallow near $500 & have your HOA instruct the roofers during next years re-roof to remove & destroy all antennas. (so should I wait?) Hopefully your HOA (if applicable) there isn't looking down on you as a "Hillbilly" or Shack dweller

I was speaking to my dad about your issue he's a couple miles northeast of me & has similar issues as you... but not all the time, & again during Tropo 19 goes away completely at times.

19 stays around the 70% then has sudden drops down into the 30's with momentary signal losses.

Back to the price, are roof dish installations this much too?

Per Andrews suggestion on power lines, isn't there a transmission line branching down Apollo Parkway in that area?
post #4534 of 4537 Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I was kind of expecting $225-$250 for the basic install (which is the going rate for this service.. if you believe what you read on the internet), true though, I never had cable or Pay TV, & never will... just hard pill to swallow near $500 & have your HOA instruct the roofers during next years re-roof to remove & destroy all antennas. (so should I wait?) Hopefully your HOA (if applicable) there isn't looking down on you as a "Hillbilly" or Shack dweller

I was speaking to my dad about your issue he's a couple miles northeast of me & has similar issues as you... but not all the time, & again during Tropo 19 goes away completely at times.

19 stays around the 70% then has sudden drops down into the 30's with momentary signal losses.

Back to the price, are roof dish installations this much too?

Per Andrews suggestion on power lines, isn't there a transmission line branching down Apollo Parkway in that area?
Roof dish installations are usually free. At least mine was. Direct TV includes the install as part of their agreement which also requires a 2 year contract. Not sure what Dish offers.
post #4535 of 4537 Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
A dancing signal strength bar, to me, indicates a possible multipath problem. It is more noticeable on windy days when tree branches and your antenna sway back and forth.

In the analog days, you would have seen ghosting or a fading/shaking picture as the reception constantly changes or bounces off metal objects. If the problem was interference from another station on the same channel, you would have seen a ghosting image from the interfering station drift across the screen, flashing and/or shivering if severe. (The flashing in the digital era would also cause the bar to dance as the interfering signal is rapidly fluctuating).

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4536 of 4537 Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

Liked: 10
Could very well be. Maybe try different tuners/converter boxes if possible (some handle multipath much better than others). Though it is odd that multipath would affect this one channel only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
A dancing signal strength bar, to me, indicates a possible multipath problem. It is more noticeable on windy days when tree branches and your antenna sway back and forth.

Last edited by nsa1062; Yesterday at 09:31 PM.
post #4537 of 4537 Old Today, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Could very well be. Maybe try different tuners/converter boxes if possible (some handle multipath much better than others). Though it is odd that multipath would affect this one channel only.
Um, we are talking about WOIO here!

I noticed 3, & 5 are prone to this too out this way (at times), & surprisingly more in the winter. I also lose the Akron stations in the winter months, one would think the opposite with no foliage on the trees. (& really, if your antenna is stable why should wind have a great effect??? (I never could figure that out).

Back up a few posts I always inquire what TV's have the best or more sensitive tuners. Though everything depends on Location, Location, Location (& west is best here!).

Like the guy's in California tell me if my car here is rusting, then I must obviously be doing something wrong, because that just doesn't happen!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception