Forum Jump: 
 33Likes
post #4681 of 4705 Old 01-21-2015, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone:
Here is where the info on WIVM-39 possibly going to "This TV" came from. Let me stress there is nothing official out on this yet..I posted this last night on Radio Discussions..Which is where jxg got his info..

"Watching Charlie Jones and Troy Richardson tonight (Tuesday) on WIVM-39 calling the High School Basketball Game between GlenOak and North Canton Hoover..

Under the “Big Time Sports” umbrella they have sponsors for nearly everything during the broadcast..RTV has been one of the game sponsors..During the Telecast, the broadcasters made a passing reference to “missing RTV” in March when This TV comes aboard..Jones then referred to “talking This TV” into being a sponsor of HS Basketball in place of RTV. Havent yet found anything else on this."

So it's basically just two guys talking about it in passing..In my opinion, just because Channel 39 does something doesn't mean WAOH/W35AX are automatically going to do the same thing. ThisTV, even if they only Highway Patrol and Sea Hunt as classic shows currently..Big improvement over Retro TV..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4705 Old 01-21-2015, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First I want to thank you guys for a very interesting thread that I've been lurking on for a little bit.

I just purchased our first flat screen and tossed an RCA1600 antenna in the attic. I'm able to get WKYC perfectly. WEWS usually and WOIO sometimes. I can get the higher power Youngstown stations VERY well. But, I really want Fox in HD. Which means chasing down WJW. I'm looking to upgrade my antenna, and if possible stay in the attic. Why I didn't get a digital tuner earlier I have no idea.

Anyway what are you guys using to pull WJW? I'm mostly interested in what people in the Hartville/Canton area are using. Thanks for any and all help

Nicholas
post #4683 of 4705 Old 01-22-2015, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Eating Golden View Post
First I want to thank you guys for a very interesting thread that I've been lurking on for a little bit.

I just purchased our first flat screen and tossed an RCA1600 antenna in the attic. I'm able to get WKYC perfectly. WEWS usually and WOIO sometimes. I can get the higher power Youngstown stations VERY well. But, I really want Fox in HD. Which means chasing down WJW. I'm looking to upgrade my antenna, and if possible stay in the attic. Why I didn't get a digital tuner earlier I have no idea.

Anyway what are you guys using to pull WJW? I'm mostly interested in what people in the Hartville/Canton area are using. Thanks for any and all help

Nicholas
After all the different outdoor antennas I've tried, I still recommend the AntennaCraft HBU33 for receiving WJW because it is both a high-VHF and UHF antenna. When you're comparing antennas, the gain is probably the most important figure to look at if the antenna manufacturer lists it in the specifications. That number describes how well the antenna compares to an ordinary dipole. The gain on the HBU33 is 7.6 dB, which is actually pretty good. In order to achieve a higher gain, antennas begin becoming very very large, and it's just not practical for small additional gain that really won't deliver that much more. I'm sure if you place the antenna in your attic, your space is limited. Let me also encourage you that placing the antenna outside, especially in Hartville will help out a lot. In fact, placing it outside, even if it's just mounted on a pole on the ground may be better than higher up in your attic. Building materials block a lot of signal. I know... I tried it, and it didn't work well for me in my attic.

Before you proceed, check out your results on TVFool.com and enter your address... theoretically anything above a NM of 0, you should receive at your address, but it usually takes around 15-20. The RCA antenna you're using is actually a decent indoor antenna. I have the Mohu Leaf equivalent, and it works better when I use a long coaxial cable and place it outside, but it's not designed to receive high-VHF channels like WJW.

Last edited by Andrew K; 01-22-2015 at 06:13 AM.
post #4684 of 4705 Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Totally lost Channel 3 & 5 on my attic Antenna

Last evening, I found I totally lost Channel 3 & 5 on my attic Antenna,

3 appears off the air, where 5 I get a small blips, all other channels are as normal, & Tuesday night everything is OK, Weather related??

To my understanding there was fog in Akron, perhaps they were altering the patterns that affected my attic antenna. Called my dad a few miles away,& he said everything appears normal with 3 & 5.

Was still off this morning.... cable company running interference to get me to "sign on"?

I missed it, so why isn't 8 going to get This? Guess that's bye bye for This up here.

Edit 2:

Upon returning home on Thursday Evening 3 was back at full power, 5 was occasionally on.... 4 hours later I had a stronger 5 (50%), this am (Friday) 5 was up to about 60% with occasional pixilating... every other station remained as usual throughout the past 2 days.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 01-23-2015 at 09:14 AM.
post #4685 of 4705 Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Eating Golden View Post

Nicholas
I would move up to an old fashion yagi antenna like the AntennaCraft HBU33 that Andrew mentioned and have it mounted on your roof if possible. The RCA flat antenna that you have is good if you're within 10 miles of the towers.

Also, you are likely picking up WOIO's low power repeater in Akron. The full power broadcast is on the VHF band at RF 10. The Akron repeater is on the UHF band at RF 24.

I'm using a Radio Shack VU-190XR (no longer sold) with half of it's VHF elements missing to receive WJW. The antenna is overkill for my location, but I got it for 50% off when the Radio Shack by me closed. I can receive WJW on my UHF coat hanger antenna, but reception is poor since it's not designed to receive VHF.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4686 of 4705 Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Has channel 5 (15) been on lower power the last few days?
post #4687 of 4705 Old 01-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
I haven't noticed any change. The signal was 100% on the Zinwell tuner last night in Norton.
post #4688 of 4705 Old 01-23-2015, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg0754 View Post

Anyone notice WAOH (29) is not on Titan TV?

I checked my 'OTA' lineup, and indeed analog 29 was not there. I did add it to the lineup (Edit Channels), though. However, I couldn't put in 29.1, but I suspect Titan will catchup on that soon.

(Oh, poo. My DigitalScream Converter Box died again. Green LED - No pic or sound. It takes a few rapid unplugging it/plugging it back in the AC cord to get the Red LED to light - then, hopefully turning it on gets me pic and sound.)

- Pj
Win7 Pro and FireFox 35.x.x on Desktop. 2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In.
post #4689 of 4705 Old 01-23-2015, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Haven't noticed it here in Akron.

WJW/8 is a bit more flaky recently, but I attribute that to local issues and atmospheric issues.
post #4690 of 4705 Old 01-23-2015, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

29.1's sound is up to normal levels now, even with the other channels.

They have a new Retro TV official legal ID that lists WAOH-CD 29.1. 35 is still W35AX 35. Wonder if that means 35 won't be digital for longer.
post #4691 of 4705 Old 01-24-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

5 is now down in the noise signal wise. It won't lock. Even 29 is better...
post #4692 of 4705 Old 01-24-2015, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
They've been lower for a few days now on the spectrum analyzer.
Their signal strength is usually equal to or better than channel 3 (17).
post #4693 of 4705 Old 01-25-2015, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yeah, never had a problem with 5 in North Canton, but it's all breaking up and pixelated. Hope things get back to normal soon.
post #4694 of 4705 Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
19.2 Automation Messed Up Again

Noticed yesterday several times 19.2/MeTV coming back from local breaks late again (typically wiping out end credits and the first part of the following show). This has been an on-and-off problem on 19.2 for years.
post #4695 of 4705 Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Haven't had any issues with 5 here - still 98% on the signal meter.

Quote:
post #4696 of 4705 Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

I checked channel 5 late last night. No unusual change in the signal strength bar, though I do question their 1000 kW broadcast at times.

We've been talking about WAOH recently switching to digital and wondering when W35AX will make the switch. One station we haven't talked about lately is WRAP-LP. Anyone know when they will light up their "full power" low power signal on WJW's tower? Are they still covering 300 houses in Shaker Heights?

EDIT: Ohio Media Watch has also noticed a degraded signal from WEWS in their latest post.

Last edited by snowdog 88; Yesterday at 01:57 PM.
post #4697 of 4705 Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Noticed yesterday several times 19.2/MeTV coming back from local breaks late again (typically wiping out end credits and the first part of the following show). This has been an on-and-off problem on 19.2 for years.
UGH! I guess I'll have to send them another email again!

I noticed Me-TV went out Sunday morning around 12:40 and came back around 12:55. I wonder if the outage threw the local commercials out of order. The system probably failed to play the long batch of commercials when it lost the network, and when it came back on, what should have been the short batch is now the long batch. The short batch is probably cutting back to a network commercial in progress.

post #4698 of 4705 Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Low signal to no signal with 5 since the evening of the 21st... I posted above.

Eliminated the tuner, & antenna, must be something in my immeadiate area... e-mailed WEWS Sunday Morning, no response yet.

WKYC went down with it for a day, but back... strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I checked channel 5 late last night. No unusual change in the signal strength bar, though I do question their 1000 kW broadcast at times.

We've been talking about WAOH recently switching to digital and wondering when W35AX will make the switch. One station we haven't talked about lately is WRAP-LP. Anyone know when they will light up their "full power" low power signal on WJW's tower? Are they still covering 300 houses in Shaker Heights?
You have to go over to the 'other board' for WRAP status, though I think that's a dead issue. if they came back likely a LP south west side station.

I missed the 3.2 Radar on Saturday evening.

Last edited by Bismarck440; Yesterday at 10:07 AM.
post #4699 of 4705 Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

I checked again yesterday, and the signal for WEWS was just a tad bit lower at my location just west of Akron... barely even noticeable, but lower. I didn't have any picture loss, and the signal was still very high and decodeable. It seems to be comparable to the signal strength of a station like WVIZ which only uses 150 kW compared to WEWS's usual 1,000 kW.

Speaking of WRAP-LP, the FCC records show it still licensed to use 6,370 watts on analog channel 32, but there is also an analog construction permit listed for 70 watts just east of Cleveland. I'm not sure if it's up and running at 70 watts, because that obviously doesn't cover a lot of area. It's clearly not using 6,370 watts. It may just end up like WAKN-LP (11) and just disappear, and no one would care. After all, who wants to watch 24/7 infomercials, which is what they broadcast? That would be a waste of TV spectrum.
post #4700 of 4705 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
After all, who wants to watch 24/7 infomercials, which is what they broadcast? That would be a waste of TV spectrum.
True, but they could also pick up a diginet and run that on the main .1 channel. The only downside would be that parts of the diginet's programming would be preempted for infomercials and local programming, kind of like what WAOH/W35AX does with RTV.

post #4701 of 4705 Old Today, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Haven't noticed it here in Akron.
That's cuz all signals lead to Akron

5 was back up to 50-55% late last night, creating a lockable signal but I expect it to go back down... strange thing was that WKYC went down the same time (actually on my end it was like they weren't even broadcasting) on the 20th, but bounced back the next day.
post #4702 of 4705 Old Today, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Speaking of WRAP-LP,..... After all, who wants to watch 24/7 infomercials, which is what they broadcast? That would be a waste of TV spectrum.
Anyone actually watch that? I know HSN had a cult following once upon a time, yet @ 70 watts that has to be an iffy signal no matter where.
post #4703 of 4705 Old Today, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Anyone actually watch that? I know HSN had a cult following once upon a time, yet @ 70 watts that has to be an iffy signal no matter where.
It was MTV2 when I first discovered it. Sometime around 2006 they switched to Corner Store TV, similar to the "Shop" channel on WVPX.

WRAP's analog signal had tight nulls towards the north and the south. The FCC's service contour never came close to the Akron area, but I knew someone from Copley who was able to faintly receive it with his outdoor antenna.

post #4704 of 4705 Unread Today, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
It was MTV2 when I first discovered it. Sometime around 2006 they switched to Corner Store TV, similar to the "Shop" channel on WVPX.

WRAP's analog signal had tight nulls towards the north and the south. The FCC's service contour never came close to the Akron area, but I knew someone from Copley who was able to faintly receive it with his outdoor antenna.
Primarily I thought it was an eastside station (& the only eastside station), the signal came up along the lake, thought not quite to Mentor. I remember it from '98 or '99 with the rap videos (The Box??), was the best LP (receptionwise) at the time... snowy to grainy with fairly good audio.

I was using my '84 Zenith 19" & '91 Sylvania 27" which had great analog tuners.

Last edited by Bismarck440; Today at 01:33 PM.
post #4705 of 4705 Unread Today, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Last evening, I found I totally lost Channel 3 & 5 on my attic Antenna,

3 appears off the air, where 5 I get a small blips, all other channels are as normal, & Tuesday night everything is OK, Weather related??

To my understanding there was fog in Akron, perhaps they were altering the patterns that affected my attic antenna. Called my dad a few miles away,& he said everything appears normal with 3 & 5.

Was still off this morning.... cable company running interference to get me to "sign on"?

I missed it, so why isn't 8 going to get This? Guess that's bye bye for This up here.

Edit 2:

Upon returning home on Thursday Evening 3 was back at full power, 5 was occasionally on.... 4 hours later I had a stronger 5 (50%), this am (Friday) 5 was up to about 60% with occasional pixilating... every other station remained as usual throughout the past 2 days.
Greetings from the Parma antenna farm. I think I know why signal strengths of our local stations have been low or varying. I was just driving past WJW's tower when I noticed that the top of the tower is completely white (as in iced over). The antenna's color is red, but mother nature has given it a temporary paint job. I first noticed an iced over top on WQHS's tower several days ago. Seeing all the trouble you have been having, I bet that ice on the transmitting antenna is the culprit.

I used to volunteer at John Carroll's radio station. Whenever the antenna iced over we had to sign off since they did not have a heater to melt the ice. I'm surprised that the TV stations haven't deiced their towers. Maybe it's harder to do at 900'+. On both towers that I observed it was only the very top sections that are iced over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page