Forum Jump: 
 33Likes
post #4681 of 4692 Old 01-21-2015, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone:
Here is where the info on WIVM-39 possibly going to "This TV" came from. Let me stress there is nothing official out on this yet..I posted this last night on Radio Discussions..Which is where jxg got his info..

"Watching Charlie Jones and Troy Richardson tonight (Tuesday) on WIVM-39 calling the High School Basketball Game between GlenOak and North Canton Hoover..

Under the “Big Time Sports” umbrella they have sponsors for nearly everything during the broadcast..RTV has been one of the game sponsors..During the Telecast, the broadcasters made a passing reference to “missing RTV” in March when This TV comes aboard..Jones then referred to “talking This TV” into being a sponsor of HS Basketball in place of RTV. Havent yet found anything else on this."

So it's basically just two guys talking about it in passing..In my opinion, just because Channel 39 does something doesn't mean WAOH/W35AX are automatically going to do the same thing. ThisTV, even if they only Highway Patrol and Sea Hunt as classic shows currently..Big improvement over Retro TV..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4692 Old 01-21-2015, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First I want to thank you guys for a very interesting thread that I've been lurking on for a little bit.

I just purchased our first flat screen and tossed an RCA1600 antenna in the attic. I'm able to get WKYC perfectly. WEWS usually and WOIO sometimes. I can get the higher power Youngstown stations VERY well. But, I really want Fox in HD. Which means chasing down WJW. I'm looking to upgrade my antenna, and if possible stay in the attic. Why I didn't get a digital tuner earlier I have no idea.

Anyway what are you guys using to pull WJW? I'm mostly interested in what people in the Hartville/Canton area are using. Thanks for any and all help

Nicholas
post #4683 of 4692 Old 01-22-2015, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Eating Golden View Post
First I want to thank you guys for a very interesting thread that I've been lurking on for a little bit.

I just purchased our first flat screen and tossed an RCA1600 antenna in the attic. I'm able to get WKYC perfectly. WEWS usually and WOIO sometimes. I can get the higher power Youngstown stations VERY well. But, I really want Fox in HD. Which means chasing down WJW. I'm looking to upgrade my antenna, and if possible stay in the attic. Why I didn't get a digital tuner earlier I have no idea.

Anyway what are you guys using to pull WJW? I'm mostly interested in what people in the Hartville/Canton area are using. Thanks for any and all help

Nicholas
After all the different outdoor antennas I've tried, I still recommend the AntennaCraft HBU33 for receiving WJW because it is both a high-VHF and UHF antenna. When you're comparing antennas, the gain is probably the most important figure to look at if the antenna manufacturer lists it in the specifications. That number describes how well the antenna compares to an ordinary dipole. The gain on the HBU33 is 7.6 dB, which is actually pretty good. In order to achieve a higher gain, antennas begin becoming very very large, and it's just not practical for small additional gain that really won't deliver that much more. I'm sure if you place the antenna in your attic, your space is limited. Let me also encourage you that placing the antenna outside, especially in Hartville will help out a lot. In fact, placing it outside, even if it's just mounted on a pole on the ground may be better than higher up in your attic. Building materials block a lot of signal. I know... I tried it, and it didn't work well for me in my attic.

Before you proceed, check out your results on TVFool.com and enter your address... theoretically anything above a NM of 0, you should receive at your address, but it usually takes around 15-20. The RCA antenna you're using is actually a decent indoor antenna. I have the Mohu Leaf equivalent, and it works better when I use a long coaxial cable and place it outside, but it's not designed to receive high-VHF channels like WJW.

Last edited by Andrew K; 01-22-2015 at 06:13 AM.
post #4684 of 4692 Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Totally lost Channel 3 & 5 on my attic Antenna

Last evening, I found I totally lost Channel 3 & 5 on my attic Antenna,

3 appears off the air, where 5 I get a small blips, all other channels are as normal, & Tuesday night everything is OK, Weather related??

To my understanding there was fog in Akron, perhaps they were altering the patterns that affected my attic antenna. Called my dad a few miles away,& he said everything appears normal with 3 & 5.

Was still off this morning.... cable company running interference to get me to "sign on"?

I missed it, so why isn't 8 going to get This? Guess that's bye bye for This up here.

Edit 2:

Upon returning home on Thursday Evening 3 was back at full power, 5 was occasionally on.... 4 hours later I had a stronger 5 (50%), this am (Friday) 5 was up to about 60% with occasional pixilating... every other station remained as usual throughout the past 2 days.

Last edited by Bismarck440; Yesterday at 09:14 AM.
post #4685 of 4692 Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Eating Golden View Post

Nicholas
I would move up to an old fashion yagi antenna like the AntennaCraft HBU33 that Andrew mentioned and have it mounted on your roof if possible. The RCA flat antenna that you have is good if you're within 10 miles of the towers.

Also, you are likely picking up WOIO's low power repeater in Akron. The full power broadcast is on the VHF band at RF 10. The Akron repeater is on the UHF band at RF 24.

I'm using a Radio Shack VU-190XR (no longer sold) with half of it's VHF elements missing to receive WJW. The antenna is overkill for my location, but I got it for 50% off when the Radio Shack by me closed. I can receive WJW on my UHF coat hanger antenna, but reception is poor since it's not designed to receive VHF.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4686 of 4692 Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Has channel 5 (15) been on lower power the last few days?
post #4687 of 4692 Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
I haven't noticed any change. The signal was 100% on the Zinwell tuner last night in Norton.
post #4688 of 4692 Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg0754 View Post

Anyone notice WAOH (29) is not on Titan TV?

I checked my 'OTA' lineup, and indeed analog 29 was not there. I did add it to the lineup (Edit Channels), though. However, I couldn't put in 29.1, but I suspect Titan will catchup on that soon.

(Oh, poo. My DigitalScream Converter Box died again. Green LED - No pic or sound. It takes a few rapid unplugging it/plugging it back in the AC cord to get the Red LED to light - then, hopefully turning it on gets me pic and sound.)

- Pj
Win7 Pro and FireFox 35.x.x on Desktop. 2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In.
post #4689 of 4692 Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
Haven't noticed it here in Akron.

WJW/8 is a bit more flaky recently, but I attribute that to local issues and atmospheric issues.
post #4690 of 4692 Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

29.1's sound is up to normal levels now, even with the other channels.

They have a new Retro TV official legal ID that lists WAOH-CD 29.1. 35 is still W35AX 35. Wonder if that means 35 won't be digital for longer.
post #4691 of 4692 Old Today, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

5 is now down in the noise signal wise. It won't lock. Even 29 is better...
post #4692 of 4692 Unread Today, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
5 is now down in the noise signal wise. It won't lock. Even 29 is better...
They've been lower for a few days now on the spectrum analyzer.
Their signal strength is usually equal to or better than channel 3 (17).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page