post #4711 of 4718 Unread Today, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
Don't want to be parked in the "drop zone" when that ice starts falling.
Channel 5's signal level is back to normal this morning.
Then stay away from the intersection mentioned above. I can't believe that WJW was allowed to stay on that property and even replace the tower with a newer one a few years ago. Every other tower here in the farm has acreage surrounding them. If WJW should ever fall it would be a major disaster in my neighborhood.

If you are interested go on Google Maps street view for West Pleasant Valley Road just to the southeast of the State Road intersection. You will get to see just how close the guy wire support structure is to the sidewalk. Several homes and businesses are in the shadow of the tower. It's one of the few broadcast towers that anyone can get up close and personal with.

73's KD8ZMN

Last edited by Michael P 2341; Today at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 4718 Unread Today, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ice buildup can cause the transmitter to overheat. The transmitter's power can be reduced so that the equipment isn't ruined. Here is an article describing this... http://ualrpublicradio.org/post/expe...rength-its-ice

It sounds like a perfectly logical explanation.
Has anyone contacted WEWS, and have they responded?
post #4713 of 4718 Unread Today, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Ice buildup can cause the transmitter to overheat. The transmitter's power can be reduced so that the equipment isn't ruined. Here is an article describing this... http://ualrpublicradio.org/post/expe...rength-its-ice

It sounds like a perfectly logical explanation.
Has anyone contacted WEWS, and have they responded?
Contacted them & no they haven't responded.
post #4714 of 4718 Unread Today, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
All I know is what I see. The normally red colored antenna at the top of WJW was white (as was the top section of the tower which is also "striped" with alternating red and white). The other stations I could see were not at the time. WQHS was white several day earlier (I see the WQHS and WBNX towers out my back windows). WEWS's tower is so far off the road and partially hidden by woods, I can just barely see the top even from their State Road access drive (with it's sign that reads: "WEWS 5 transmitter, private property - no trespassing").

This may have been what happened to the other stations you experienced issues with recently. I only get close enough to WKYC's tower on the weekend (it's near my church's parking lot).

Not saying this is incorrect, would think this would often happen, & have had really no diminished signal on any of the other stations, & this don't seem to be affecting anyone. One would think it wouldn't cause actual overheating.
post #4715 of 4718 Unread Today, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Not saying this is incorrect, would think this would often happen, & have had really no diminished signal on any of the other stations, & this don't seem to be affecting anyone. One would think it wouldn't cause actual overheating.
Ice on an antenna causes the VSWR to go up. If it gets too high, the power reflecting back into the transmitter can cause damage, so most modern transmitters automatically dial back the power as the VSWR goes up. Not sure why you think it wouldn't cause a problem.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4716 of 4718 Unread Today, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
The local commercial timing issue seems to be fixed, haven't seen any problems the last day or two.

However, this morning, MeTV was intermittently freezing/dropping out maybe once a minute (not reception, as 19.1 was fine).
Last time the local commercials were running long was back in November. However, they were fine the next day. After you mentioned that the commercials were running long again, I turned on 19.2 and watched Me-TV for a good 5 hours. The local commercials were all timed correctly and were not overlapping programming. I didn't send them an e-mail like I mentioned in your last post, I usually wait for a few days to see if they correct the problem themselves. It seems that WOIO is watching Me-TV more often or at longer intervals and catching problems before viewers start complaining.

I'm not seeing any freezing in the broadcast now. Perhaps there was ice on their satellite dish? I do see a brief frozen/pixelated image once in a while, but not often. Is that what you were seeing this morning?

I also remember when 19.2 would frequently freeze and black out for a few seconds to several minutes. (19.1 was unaffected.) It must have been an encoder issue as the "Cleveland" bug would disappear when the screen blacked out. If it was the satellite, the "Cleveland" bug would still be on the screen, if present. Anyway, I think they finally fixed that because I haven't seen that happen in a long time.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4717 of 4718 Unread Today, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I can't believe that WJW was allowed to stay on that property and even replace the tower with a newer one a few years ago.
A few years ago? I though that tower was replaced back in 1998. They probably had it replaced for their digital broadcast. Their original self-supporting tower (probably a back-up) was also demolished when the old tower was removed.

Quote:
If you are interested go on Google Maps street view for West Pleasant Valley Road just to the southeast of the State Road intersection. You will get to see just how close the guy wire support structure is to the sidewalk. Several homes and businesses are in the shadow of the tower. It's one of the few broadcast towers that anyone can get up close and personal with.
Noticed how the WJW tower only has one set of anchors for the guy wires. The roads and neighborhood prevents the tower from having another set father out. This probably limits the height and weight of the tower. Being in the middle of a populated area, I wonder if that's the reason why the WJW tower has strobe lights during the day. And why is their tower not painted? Isn't that a requirement?

I assume you've been to the West Creak Reservation. You can park right in front of WOIO's tower and literally walk right up to WBNX's.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4718 of 4718 Unread Today, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
A few years ago? I though that tower was replaced back in 1998. They probably had it replaced for their digital broadcast. Their original self-supporting tower (probably a back-up) was also demolished when the old tower was removed.

Noticed how the WJW tower only has one set of anchors for the guy wires. The roads and neighborhood prevents the tower from having another set father out. This probably limits the height and weight of the tower. Being in the middle of a populated area, I wonder if that's the reason why the WJW tower has strobe lights during the day. And why is their tower not painted? Isn't that a requirement?

I assume you've been to the West Creak Reservation. You can park right in front of WOIO's tower and literally walk right up to WBNX's.
I've driven past WJW on my way to work every day since 1996 and lived in it's shadow (.8 of a mile) since 2005. I never saw a self-supporting tower, the old tower IIRC was also guyed. If they had a back-up tower it was long gone by the time I started driving through what would become my neighborhood.

Who did have a self supporting backup tower that is now gone was WKYC. WEWS may still have theirs, like I said it's hard to see.

re: WOIO - I remember reading in the PD when they first went on the air in the late 80's. The article said that their transmitter was located in the Parma City Dump! Today it's a beautiful park. I have yet to visit the park, but I have been to WQHS on a visit to Camp Corde many years ago. In fact about a year before they built that tower I walked up that hill and thought that would be a great place for a tower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page