Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Cleveland, OH - HDTV
smokeyspapa's Avatar smokeyspapa 02:20 AM 07-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

I like everyone else was having problems with cleveland fox8 and cbs19 here in massillon ohio and i had a vhf and uhf antenna and still never could get cbs and since the switchover fox was hit or miss. I picked up another uhf antenna today off craigslist and decided to try and hook it up facing the youngstown farm and long behold i now have 2 uhf antennas, hooked to a splitter to join them, and pick up 27.1cbs and 27.2fox. they are the only channels i get off the youngstown towers but they were also the only channels i was missing. Ive read on here that 2 antennas hooked to 1 splitter to join them was a bad idea but im here to tell you it works fine. i pick up 3,5,17,23,25,27,43,45,49, and all sub channels with full bars. All of these channels are 40 to 50 miles away from me. All in all I now have 36channels to watch. The one thing i cant seem to get, wich is the closest to me, is 52 the retro channel and its only 13 miles away.
The only thing that sucks about having to get fox and cbs from youngstown is i dont know if youngstown plays browns games

Now how could that suck?

nickdawg's Avatar nickdawg 02:36 AM 07-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyspapa View Post

Now how could that suck?

Really. I'd love to get WKBN. Not only would it mean no more dealing with dropouts and a 40% highest signal, but it would mean no more Action News. WOIO is the biggest toilet station in Cleveland.
samcraig's Avatar samcraig 11:00 AM 07-08-2009
It seems I may have spoken too soon. Last night around 9pm when i hooked everything up it worked perfectly now at 1pm the youngstown stations are hit and miss. The lock went from 5 bars to 3. Does daylight affect the signal?
rluyster's Avatar rluyster 12:53 PM 07-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

It seems I may have spoken too soon. Last night around 9pm when i hooked everything up it worked perfectly now at 1pm the youngstown stations are hit and miss. The lock went from 5 bars to 3. Does daylight affect the signal?

Yes...it seems to...especially in the summer. Some summer days/nights, there is also tropo enhancement present which strengthens distant signals. Are you using a preamplifier on your antenna? Using one on my setup here in Canton makes a world of difference. Ch 52 is a problem for a lot of people even closer than you are. I get a strong signal from them but a lot of ghosting unless my antenna is aimed just right. Have you tried for Ch 9 in Steubenville? They have Retro on 9.2 and are received well here in SW Canton.
Michael P 2341's Avatar Michael P 2341 04:27 PM 07-08-2009
Isn't ch 52 still analog (like 35/29)? If so that's why you are not getting them (presuming you are trying to get them on an ATSC box)!

As far as WKBN-DT reception goes, try a direct connection to the UHF antenna aimed at Youngstown. Splitters have a way of sucking power out of you feed. Replacing the splitter with an A/B switch might solve your dropout problems when the atmosphere is not enhancing your reception.
nickdawg's Avatar nickdawg 04:37 PM 07-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Isn't ch 52 still analog (like 35/29)? If so that's why you are not getting them (presuming you are trying to get them on an ATSC box)!

Maybe it is the tuner or the antenna isn't strong enough? Being in Akron, when I scan for channels, 98% of the time ch 29/35 are not strong enough to show up on the list. If I manually tune 29, 35 or 65, I can sometimes hear sound only with a black screen. Of course my TV never performed well with any analog OTA station. And now that the DTV is over, there's no need for an analog tuner at all.
wd8kct's Avatar wd8kct 05:40 PM 07-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluyster View Post

Ch 52 is a problem for a lot of people even closer than you are. I get a strong signal from them but a lot of ghosting unless my antenna is aimed just right.

They have a pretty tight pattern to the southwest (Canton)... used to get them pretty good when I lived in Canton... don't see them at all at my sister's in southern Alliance... I see they've applied for a low power digital on 38...


FCC TV Database Query
JJkizak's Avatar JJkizak 06:01 PM 07-08-2009
I get 35 snowy, 29 almost never, 65 pretty good, but 52 never. I do get 53 pretty good.
JJK
nickdawg's Avatar nickdawg 03:31 AM 07-09-2009
After rescanning for channels yesterday, I noticed there is now a channel 47.2, that is broadcasting in HD. I remember someone saying a cable system(not TWC) added a WOAC HD channel a few months back. Now one really exists OTA.
JJkizak's Avatar JJkizak 06:31 AM 07-09-2009
Nickdawg:
You failed to mention that 47.2 is broadcasting "Stretchovision" and that 47.1 is broadcasting "Skinnyvision" sometimes. The engineers need to regroup.
JJK
Tom in OH's Avatar Tom in OH 09:08 AM 07-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

It seems I may have spoken too soon. Last night around 9pm when i hooked everything up it worked perfectly now at 1pm the youngstown stations are hit and miss. The lock went from 5 bars to 3. Does daylight affect the signal?

We've noticed a stronger ota signal at night at times also. I always thought it had something to do with all the other stations/signals it has to compete with during the day.
Michael P 2341's Avatar Michael P 2341 05:22 PM 07-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in OH View Post

We've noticed a stronger ota signal at night at times also. I always thought it had something to do with all the other stations/signals it has to compete with during the day.

Most TV stations are on 24/7 so that's not the reason. But atmospheric changes at night are the reason you get better reception from distant signals at night.
Michael P 2341's Avatar Michael P 2341 09:17 AM 07-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

I like everyone else was having problems with cleveland fox8 and cbs19 here in massillon ohio and i had a vhf and uhf antenna and still never could get cbs and since the switchover fox was hit or miss. I picked up another uhf antenna today off craigslist and decided to try and hook it up facing the youngstown farm and long behold i now have 2 uhf antennas, hooked to a splitter to join them, and pick up 27.1cbs and 27.2fox. they are the only channels i get off the youngstown towers but they were also the only channels i was missing. Ive read on here that 2 antennas hooked to 1 splitter to join them was a bad idea but im here to tell you it works fine. i pick up 3,5,17,23,25,27,43,45,49, and all sub channels with full bars. All of these channels are 40 to 50 miles away from me. All in all I now have 36channels to watch. The one thing i cant seem to get, wich is the closest to me, is 52 the retro channel and its only 13 miles away.
The only thing that sucks about having to get fox and cbs from youngstown is i dont know if youngstown plays browns games

Youngstown does indeed carry the Browns. They are on the line between Browns and Steelers territory. A couple of seasons ago they did miss a Browns game or two in a season, opting for the Steelers. However since then they have been nearly 100% Browns, with Steelers games if they did not interfere (i.e. different time or different network). What's cool about WKBN-DT is that they get all the double headers, unlike the Cleveland stations who have to protect Browns games by not airing another game on the opposite network. This happens when the Browns are at home and carried locally. The opposite network cannot show a game in competition to the home game. Ironically if the Browns are on the road this rule does not apply.

Bye weeks get interesting - if you can get both the Cleveland and Youngstown stations there is a possibility that you can have up to 4 different games available. It's possible, but not guaranteed. Usually both markets carry the same national games with an exception here and there.
Tim Lones's Avatar Tim Lones 10:00 AM 07-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Most TV stations are on 24/7 so that's not the reason. But atmospheric changes at night are the reason you get better reception from distant signals at night.

That seems to be true..I normally get all the time now: (with associated subchannels)

3
17
23
27
45
49

At night, though, I sometimes get 5,21, 25, 44, 55 and 61

Of course, as we've discussed in the past, DX from Pittsburgh, Columbus and Detroit is possible some early mornings..
Bismarck440's Avatar Bismarck440 03:54 PM 07-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

I like everyone else was having problems with cleveland fox8 and cbs19 here in massillon ohio and i had a vhf and uhf antenna and still never could get cbs and since the switchover fox was hit or miss.

I suspect I'm the only one not having problems with 8 here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

I picked up another uhf antenna today off craigslist and decided to try and hook it up facing the youngstown farm and long behold i now have 2 uhf antennas, hooked to a splitter to join them, and pick up 27.1cbs and 27.2fox. they are the only channels i get off the youngstown towers but they were also the only channels i was missing. Ive read on here that 2 antennas hooked to 1 splitter to join them was a bad idea but im here to tell you it works fine. i pick up 3,5,17,23,25,27,43,45,49, and all sub channels with full bars. All of these channels are 40 to 50 miles away from me. All in all I now have 36channels to watch. The one thing i cant seem to get, wich is the closest to me, is 52 the retro channel and its only 13 miles away.
The only thing that sucks about having to get fox and cbs from youngstown is i dont know if youngstown plays browns games

Sounds like a plan, but again you have a secondary market to turn to, with Erie's weak signals I don't.

I have a low power repeater about 9 miles to my south, & WVIZ's transmitter about 13 miles due east, both are not reliable either.

Did VIZ turn of the repeaters on 63 & 64 off up here?
Bismarck440's Avatar Bismarck440 03:59 PM 07-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

I get 35 snowy, 29 almost never, 65 pretty good, but 52 never. I do get 53 pretty good.
JJK

35 has got to be the weakest, but since the switch I've noted 65 & 53 are degraded... I never get 35, which is supposevely the strongest & highest of the bunch, perhaps another null to the northeast on that one.

That was a Joke selecting them for Retro.
JJkizak's Avatar JJkizak 04:03 PM 07-11-2009
Geez, I finally got the correct aspect on 47.2 HD on the cooking show.
JJK
nickdawg's Avatar nickdawg 05:40 PM 07-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

35 has got to be the weakest, but since the switch I've noted 65 & 53 are degraded... I never get 35, which is supposevely the strongest & highest of the bunch, perhaps another null to the northeast on that one.

That was a Joke selecting them for Retro.

And what's more insulting is the garbage that now populates 47.1 and 47.2. It's pathetic that RTN is on a series of low power channels and there are SEVEN religious broadcasters on digital TV in Cleveland market.

I cannot and will not watch RTN. When 29 or 35 shows up on my tuner, the signal is only strong enough to get sound with a black screen. If I adjust the antenna, I get colored fuzz with a barely recognizable picture.

Since analog TV is gone, I hope even less eyes are on those channels and they go under. Maybe then a digital channel will pick up RTN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

Geez, I finally got the correct aspect on 47.2 HD on the cooking show.
JJK

47 is a total waste. Can we please get the infomercials back?
samcraig's Avatar samcraig 11:55 PM 07-11-2009
Im curious what is the best uhf antenna? wich picks up the most distance with the strongest signal? I currently have a db8 pointed at cleveland and get all but the vhf but i have an old ass vhf/uhf pointed at youngstown and get 27.1 and 27.2 strong at night and weak in the day. also at night i get a few erie stations. I would like to pick up all the youngstown stations and ive tried with my db8 but its just as bad at youngstown as the free antenna i have pointed at it now.
nsa1062's Avatar nsa1062 11:58 PM 07-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

35 has got to be the weakest, but since the switch I've noted 65 & 53 are degraded... I never get 35, which is supposevely the strongest & highest of the bunch, perhaps another null to the northeast on that one.

That was a Joke selecting them for Retro.

35 has a sharp null to the NE to protect WSEE/35 Erie (which is gone now, of course). They could probably change their antenna pattern now, but I'm sure they're too cheap to do this.

I agree it sucks having Retro on 35/29, they are such a joke. They make the Raycom stations look like NYC network O&O's - like today, all day, everything (including commercials) is in B&W covered with multi-colored noise. Even when they do manage to broadcast in color, the color is atrocious. They also preempt a lot of the Retro schedule for infomercials and other crap.
wd8kct's Avatar wd8kct 06:01 AM 07-12-2009
CQ DX

Old inside antenna picked up RF40 Cambridge and RF25, 33, 38, 48 and 51 out of Pittsburgh this morning...

Digital UnIDs on RF channels:

16 (Erie?)
32 ?
33 ?
42 (Sandusky, Pittsburgh?)
44 (Detroit?)

-Ed
salemtubes's Avatar salemtubes 09:30 AM 07-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

Im curious what is the best uhf antenna? wich picks up the most distance with the strongest signal? I currently have a db8 pointed at cleveland and get all but the vhf but i have an old ass vhf/uhf pointed at youngstown and get 27.1 and 27.2 strong at night and weak in the day. also at night i get a few erie stations. I would like to pick up all the youngstown stations and ive tried with my db8 but its just as bad at youngstown as the free antenna i have pointed at it now.

Your best bet is probably an Antennas Direct/Terrestrial Digital 91XG. It is probably the most powerful consumer UHF antenna available. It is highly directional and will require precise aim. If the 91XG does not pick up the Youngstown stations, you might want to consider trying a Winegard HDP-269 preamplifier in conjunction with it. If that doesn't do it, you're SOL.

You may have difficulty receiving WYTV (ABC, MyTV and weather; rf 36, virtual 33.1, 33.2 & 33.3) from Youngstown. Its tower is short and it is only operating at 50 kW ERP, which is not much for a full service UHF station. It has an application on file with the FCC to increase its power to 1000 kW ERP, but who knows if or when it will be approved. WKBN and WFMJ should be much easier to receive.
salemtubes's Avatar salemtubes 10:15 AM 07-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

CQ DX

Old inside antenna picked up RF40 Cambridge and RF25, 33, 38, 48 and 51 out of Pittsburgh this morning...

Digital UnIDs on RF channels:

16 (Erie?)
32 ?
33 ?
42 (Sandusky, Pittsburgh?)
44 (Detroit?)

-Ed

Yes, tropospheric ducting has been quite active the past few mornings. I've received the following stations that I don't receive under normal conditions:

Erie, PA:

WICU Virtual 12, RF 12
WJET Virtual 24, RF 24
WSEE Virtual 35, RF 16
WFXP Virtual 66, RF 22

State College, PA:

WHVL Virtual 29, RF 27

Altoona, PA:

WTAJ Virtual 10, RF 32

Greensburg, PA:

WPCB Virtual 40, RF 50

Pittsburgh, PA:

WTAE Virtual 4, RF 51

Morgantown, WV

WNPB Virtual 33, RF 33

Fairmont/Clarksburg/Weston, WV:

WDTV Virtual 5, RF 5
WVFX Virtual 46, RF 10
WBOY Virtual 12, RF 12

Charleston/Huntington, WV:

WVAH Virtual 11, RF 19

Athens, OH:

WOUB Virtual 20, RF 27

Zanesville, OH:

WHIZ Virtual 18, RF 40

Columbus, OH:

WCMH Virtual 4, RF 14
WBNS Virtual 10, RF 21

Mansfield, OH:

WMFD Virtual 68, RF 12

Toledo, OH:

WGTE Virtual 30, RF 29
WNWO Virtual 24 RF 49

Bowling Green, OH:

WBGU Virtual 27 RF 27

Sandusky, OH:

WGGN Virtual 52, RF 42

Detroit, MI:

WKBD Virtual 50, RF 14
wd8kct's Avatar wd8kct 11:34 AM 07-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemtubes View Post

Yes, tropospheric ducting has been quite active the past few mornings.

That's quite a lineup!
so RF33 is in Morgantown, I was thinking Pittsburgh...
on RF50 I wonder if WPCB Greensburg is interfering with WEAO Akron?
seems when the band opens up Akron gets choppy, maybe WEAO's power increase will help with that...

-Ed
salemtubes's Avatar salemtubes 05:10 PM 07-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

That's quite a lineup!
so RF33 is in Morgantown, I was thinking Pittsburgh...
on RF50 I wonder if WPCB Greensburg is interfering with WEAO Akron?
seems when the band opens up Akron gets choppy, maybe WEAO's power increase will help with that...

-Ed

I doubt that WPCB is interfering much with WEAO. I'm 67 miles from its transmitter here in Salem, and I've never noticed any problems receiving WEAO 24/7, even when tropo is strong. But I can't say for sure that it is not causing interference at your location.

The catch that surprised me the most was WHVL-LD. It is a low power digital station in State College, PA. It's about 170 miles from my location. The FCC's contour map shows that its signal barely make it west of Altoona under normal conditions.

Bismarck440's Avatar Bismarck440 09:26 PM 07-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Most TV stations are on 24/7 so that's not the reason. But atmospheric changes at night are the reason you get better reception from distant signals at night.

For regional, I would agree here, but from tropo, when I picked up Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Miami, & possibly Phoenix it was all from the 10am to 6pm timeframe, from Late May through Mid August, I have never seen tropo like that during darkness.... is this unusual?
Bismarck440's Avatar Bismarck440 09:31 PM 07-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post

35 has a sharp null to the NE to protect WSEE/35 Erie (which is gone now, of course). They could probably change their antenna pattern now, but I'm sure they're too cheap to do this.

I agree it sucks having Retro on 35/29, they are such a joke. They make the Raycom stations look like NYC network O&O's - like today, all day, everything (including commercials) is in B&W covered with multi-colored noise. Even when they do manage to broadcast in color, the color is atrocious. They also preempt a lot of the Retro schedule for infomercials and other crap.

I would figure as much, but I never got 35 out of Erie, although I'm only 68 miles with no obstructions... Eries signals are week, even Mansfiels's 12 overrides WICU. I occasionally get 66 (22 rf) from Erie, & the occasional blip on 16 rf & 58 (which is gone).
Bismarck440's Avatar Bismarck440 09:37 PM 07-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

CQ DX

Old inside antenna picked up RF40 Cambridge and RF25, 33, 38, 48 and 51 out of Pittsburgh this morning...

Digital UnIDs on RF channels:

16 (Erie?)
32 ?
33 ?
42 (Sandusky, Pittsburgh?)
44 (Detroit?)

-Ed

Believe 44 would be out of Detroit, along with WXYZ on 41.
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 09:40 PM 07-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

For regional, I would agree here, but from tropo, when I picked up Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Miami, & possibly Phoenix it was all from th 10am to 6pm timeframe, from Late May through Mid August, I have never seen tropo like that during darkness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporadic_E

Otherwise known as "e-skip."

- Trip
Bismarck440's Avatar Bismarck440 09:43 PM 07-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

Wow, no cable. I couldn't do that.

Sounds like you might need a new, taller antenna. Which really sucks that these VHF stations think viewers will buy new equipment to get their crappy channels. WJW is inexcusable since they were in the perfect spot on 31 and WOIO should have at least pretended to be interested in getting off VHF 10. If I were ever going with OTA only as TV, I'd buy a beast of an antenna. Then I'd point the business end of it towards Y-Town and never look back at those VHF losers in Cleveland!!

No, no cable, but I'm wondering when they put the sound wall up on Rt 2 if it will affect my signal.... I'm about 28 feet in the air right now.

Now as far as WJW they may has well join the others with the Northeast null, Id rather go back to analog at this point.
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop