47Likes
post #4831 of 4860 Old 02-20-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
18 is reserved for land mobile use in Pittsburgh and I think that prevents it from being used in Cleveland, as well.

- Trip
Andrew K likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4860 Old 02-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
18 is reserved for land mobile use in Pittsburgh and I think that prevents it from being used in Cleveland, as well.

- Trip
Hmmm... that gets me to thinking. Isn't channel 14 reserved for land mobile use in Cleveland, and there's WCMH using 14 in Columbus? So I wonder what the distance requirement is. It seems Cleveland and Pittsburgh would be far enough away if 18 nulled to the southeast.

What about a full-power on channel 27 in Cleveland? That would be wedged between WVIZ and WUAB. The nearest full-power 27 is in Bowling Green, but that wouldn't be a problem... just look at how the FCC crammed WEAO, WQLN, WPXD and WPCB all on channel 50!!!
post #4833 of 4860 Old 02-20-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cleveland and Detroit technically have channels reserved for land mobile, but Canada never agreed to those, so they're actually available for use. That's how WEWS is on 15 despite 15 technically being reserved in Cleveland. I don't remember off-hand what the distance separation is for land mobile, but I do recall that having something to do with why there is neither 14 nor 18 in Cleveland. And the rule is distance based, so all the nulling in the world won't make it a usable channel.

I've done this analysis of open channels before. http://ohiomediawatch.com/2009/09/07...nd-digital-tv/

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4834 of 4860 Old 02-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cleveland and Detroit technically have channels reserved for land mobile, but Canada never agreed to those, so they're actually available for use. That's how WEWS is on 15 despite 15 technically being reserved in Cleveland. I don't remember off-hand what the distance separation is for land mobile, but I do recall that having something to do with why there is neither 14 nor 18 in Cleveland. And the rule is distance based, so all the nulling in the world won't make it a usable channel.

I've done this analysis of open channels before. http://ohiomediawatch.com/2009/09/07...nd-digital-tv/

- Trip
Thanks for the link. Although the FCC's repacking will make this even more difficult than what was considered!! Perhaps some coordination with Canada will solve this. It looks like CKCO would have a null toward Cleveland, but with Lake Erie, tropo would still cause some serious problems with channel 27... http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?r...KCO-TV-3&arch=

What the heck is channel 37 even being used for anyways?? Why don't they just give that to land mobile use... or just get rid of this "land mobile" crap and assign that to another frequency outside spectrum that should be used for TV.
post #4835 of 4860 Old 02-20-2015, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I still think channel 16 was a good choice. WSEE doesn't appear around here very often, only under abnormal atmospheric conditions, and the FCC doesn't plan around that. Also note that W35AX is going to be "Class A" status, which I'm almost certain they can't be forced off the dial during the repacking of spectrum.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the FCC repacks TV spectrum. They'll really be starting to shoehorn stations to fit in the remaining spectrum. It seems that channel 18 may be an available frequency for a full-power Cleveland station if necessary. The nearest channel 18's are either low powered stations in surrounding markets like Detroit, Toledo, and Wheeling (which don't have priority). There is also a channel 18 in London Ontario, but it's weak, and the contour is too far to cause issues... http://www.rabbitears.info/allocatio...18&adj=N&all=Y

There are also channels 3, 5, and 31 which could potentially be available after the repack if stations choose to migrate to low-VHF.
I do believe that W35AX has to be digital on Channel 16 by May,
With Channel 35 analog shut down,
and have Channel 16 as their main Channel with it not just being a Digital Companion Channel.
In order for them to have repacking protection
post #4836 of 4860 Old 02-20-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Although the FCC's repacking will make this even more difficult than what was considered!! Perhaps some coordination with Canada will solve this. It looks like CKCO would have a null toward Cleveland, but with Lake Erie, tropo would still cause some serious problems with channel 27... http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?r...KCO-TV-3&arch=
The incentive auction will see some number of stations accepting money to go off the air. That will make it easier to manage. I will say, though, that it is unlikely that going forward either WJW or WOIO will be able to move from VHF to UHF.

Regarding CKCO-3, even with the null, from them and a theoretical null from a Cleveland station, I'm not sure it would work.

Quote:
What the heck is channel 37 even being used for anyways??
It was originally reserved for radio astronomy back in the 1960s. A decade or two ago it was reserved for wireless medical telemetry. So if someone has an implant that needs to communicate with a device outside the body, it does so at very low power levels on channel 37. The cost to replace that equipment was studied for the incentive auction and would be in the billions of dollars, especially since it has to go back through safety testing and all that.

Quote:
Why don't they just give that to land mobile use... or just get rid of this "land mobile" crap and assign that to another frequency outside spectrum that should be used for TV.
Believe me, I wish it was gone too, but there's a lot of money in equipment sitting on those channels in major markets, and the last time someone tried to even dream of encroaching on them, the public safety folks screamed bloody murder (or bloody something).

- Trip
Andrew K likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4837 of 4860 Old 02-20-2015, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I bet Trip would beg to differ on Channel 18 (I think it was brought up miles back)... if so I see another northeast null to Lake County for Canadian protection.
I think he said that channel 18 was reserved for land mobile in Pittsburgh.

EDIT: Never mind... AVS failed to show me the posts after yours.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4838 of 4860 Old 02-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The incentive auction will see some number of stations accepting money to go off the air. That will make it easier to manage. I will say, though, that it is unlikely that going forward either WJW or WOIO will be able to move from VHF to UHF.

Regarding CKCO-3, even with the null, from them and a theoretical null from a Cleveland station, I'm not sure it would work.

It was originally reserved for radio astronomy back in the 1960s. A decade or two ago it was reserved for wireless medical telemetry. So if someone has an implant that needs to communicate with a device outside the body, it does so at very low power levels on channel 37. The cost to replace that equipment was studied for the incentive auction and would be in the billions of dollars, especially since it has to go back through safety testing and all that.

Believe me, I wish it was gone too, but there's a lot of money in equipment sitting on those channels in major markets, and the last time someone tried to even dream of encroaching on them, the public safety folks screamed bloody murder (or bloody something).

- Trip
This whole "land mobile" reservation seems kinda vague. Didn't much of TV spectrum between channels 51-69 already get dedicated to that? Or perhaps it's just quietly being used to increase more police control and surveillance.

By the way, speaking of channel 37, I remember seeing an actual analog broadcast OTA station that used or still currently uses that channel in the Dominican Republic. I noticed it while on a cruise ship cruising nearby that country.
post #4839 of 4860 Old 02-20-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This whole "land mobile" reservation seems kinda vague. Didn't much of TV spectrum between channels 51-69 already get dedicated to that? Or perhaps it's just quietly being used to increase more police control and surveillance.
"Land mobile" means public safety, essentially. So, fire, police, rescue, etc. There were small parts of 700 MHz that were dedicated to it, but most of it went into the hands of the Verizons and AT&Ts of the world.

Quote:
By the way, speaking of channel 37, I remember seeing an actual analog broadcast OTA station that used or still currently uses that channel in the Dominican Republic. I noticed it while on a cruise ship cruising nearby that country.
Yes, there is a channel 37 in the Dominican Republic. Not all countries are party to the treaty that holds 608-614 MHz (channel 37) open.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #4840 of 4860 Old 02-22-2015, 01:49 PM

Did WEWS just shove ABC programming to 5.2 so they could air an infomercial on 5.1?

post #4841 of 4860 Old 02-22-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Did WEWS just shove ABC programming to 5.2 so they could air an infomercial on 5.1?
I wouldn't put it past them. They have been known to run old Matlock reruns in prime-time whenever they did not like what ABC had on. WKYC has done the same thing too. Why is is always Matlock?

As for this Sunday afternoon, I don't blame them. ABC chose not to carry The Cavs vs. Knicks due to the lousy record of the Knicks. WTAM was making this a news story this morning in an attempt to get ears on their radio coverage of the game. Fortunately Fox Sports Ohio had the game so WTAM lied when they said "no TV". Cord cutters did miss the game but it was on cable & sat.
post #4842 of 4860 Old 02-22-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
I wouldn't put it past them. They have been known to run old Matlock reruns in prime-time whenever they did not like what ABC had on. WKYC has done the same thing too. Why is is always Matlock?

As for this Sunday afternoon, I don't blame them. ABC chose not to carry The Cavs vs. Knicks due to the lousy record of the Knicks. WTAM was making this a news story this morning in an attempt to get ears on their radio coverage of the game. Fortunately Fox Sports Ohio had the game so WTAM lied when they said "no TV". Cord cutters did miss the game but it was on cable & sat.
I remember years ago channel 5 would often pre-empt The Wonderful World of Disney for their own movie or some localized program. The later half of ABC's One Saturday Morning/ABC Kids was also pre-empted and aired the following Saturday early in the morning so channel 5 could air an infomercial or sister cable network DIY at 11:00. WTVG never did strange pre-emptions like that, but then again, they were owned by Disney at the time.

WEWS now takes advantage of their subchannel to run repeats of their news, Ohio Lottery & Right This Minute as well as infomercials. This is the first time I've seen ABC programming on 5.2. I wonder if this will stop when LAFF takes Live Well's place.

post #4843 of 4860 Old 02-23-2015, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
No. The 5.2 airing of the ABC special was at the request of ABC as the show had previously aired twice on 5.1.
post #4844 of 4860 Old 02-23-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:

WEWS now takes advantage of their subchannel to run repeats of their news, Ohio Lottery & Right This Minute as well as infomercials. This is the first time I've seen ABC programming on 5.2. I wonder if this will stop when LAFF takes Live Well's place.
The programs indicated above run in time periods designated by LWN as "local time" for affiliates. It has been that way since LWN premiered. Also, LAFF is not taking LWN's place on 5.2
post #4845 of 4860 Old 02-23-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I think so! I was looking forward to an NBA game, as the Brady Bunch was pixelating on 19-2 (no Surprise), I caught the beginning of the 500. All that oppressive heat they were talking about down in Florida yesterday, I just feel sorry for those folks!

What gives? I may enjoy basketball, but I will not be a slave to cable under those circumstances.
post #4846 of 4860 Old 02-23-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I think so! I was looking forward to an NBA game, as the Brady Bunch was pixelating on 19-2 (no Surprise), I caught the beginning of the 500. All that oppressive heat they were talking about down in Florida yesterday, I just feel sorry for those folks!

What gives? I may enjoy basketball, but I will not be a slave to cable under those circumstances.
ESPN dropped the 2/22 game on ABC because of the Knicks poor season. Instead they added the Cavs-Houston game on 3/1 at 3:30 PM.
post #4847 of 4860 Old 02-23-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary16 View Post
The programs indicated above run in time periods designated by LWN as "local time" for affiliates. It has been that way since LWN premiered.
So LWN doesn't show network programming 24/7? I wonder if the ABC programming was from Live Well and not WEWS.

Quote:
Also, LAFF is not taking LWN's place on 5.2
It has already been announced that LAFF will be replacing LWN on ABC and Scripps O&O stations. WEWS will be one of their affiliates.

Source 1 - Broadcasting & Cable
Source 2 - PRNewswire

Affiliates have been dropping LWN due to the closure of the network. Many former affiliates have already switched to a new network. ABC O&O stations will still carry LWN up until mid-April when LAFF launches. Everyone else (from what I've read) dropped LWN back in January, though I don't know why WEWS is still carrying it.

post #4848 of 4860 Old 02-23-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
So LWN doesn't show network programming 24/7? I wonder if the ABC programming was from Live Well and not WEWS.

It has already been announced that LAFF will be replacing LWN on ABC and Scripps O&O stations. WEWS will be one of their affiliates.

Source 1 - Broadcasting & Cable
Source 2 - PRNewswire

Affiliates have been dropping LWN due to the closure of the network. Many former affiliates have already switched to a new network. ABC O&O stations will still carry LWN up until mid-April when LAFF launches. Everyone else (from what I've read) dropped LWN back in January, though I don't know why WEWS is still carrying it.
LWN does show programming during those times but affiliates are allowed to preempt with other programming for one hour each day, 1-2 pm eastern.
LAFF will not be on 5.2 -- but it will be on WEWS
LWN is not ending in April when LAFF starts on the ABC O&Os. They will continue to air LWN indefinitely with LAFF running on another subchannel. But LWN will no longer be available to non-ABC O&O's after mid-April.
post #4849 of 4860 Old 02-23-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
LAFF will not be on 5.2 -- but it will be on WEWS.
What does this mean? Will LAFF be on 5.3 and something else will replace LWN on 5.2 in mid-April?

Last edited by Inundated; 02-23-2015 at 05:40 PM.
post #4850 of 4860 Old 02-23-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
What does this mean? Will LAFF be on 5.3 and something else will replace LWN on 5.2 in mid-April?
AFAIK, WEWS has no intentions on a third sub, unless it's for a localized 24 hour news/weather channel.

post #4851 of 4860 Old 02-23-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
AFAIK, WEWS has no intentions on a third sub, unless it's for a localized 24 hour news/weather channel.
What does Gary mean, then? Are we going to see the "Mark Johnson Channel" on 5.2?
post #4852 of 4860 Old 02-24-2015, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
if Laff will be on WEWS without saying .2 is it possible that more than two Diginets will be launching on WEWS,
Will they be getting a new encoder like WQHS but instead of having 2 HD Channels with 2 SD subs they just have the Main .1 WEWS feed and a decent amount of Diginets
Maybe we will see WeatherNation Gannet dropped it in Buffalo and there is a spot open on rabbitears on one of Scripps newly acquired stations,
Heroes and Icons, Untamed Sports, and Heartland have one affiliation agreement with Scripps,
Cozi TV has three stations with Scripps,
It would be cool to see something similar to what WRTV 6 Indianapolis has which is HomeTeam Sports and News,
a local sub with Sports, News, Weather and local programming would be great
post #4853 of 4860 Old 02-24-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ESPN dropped the 2/22 game on ABC because of the Knicks poor season. Instead they added the Cavs-Houston game on 3/1 at 3:30 PM.
I thought I saw that 43 will be airing the Cavs Pacers game this Friday!
post #4854 of 4860 Unread Yesterday, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I thought I saw that 43 will be airing the Cavs Pacers game this Friday!
They are but that has no connection to the ESPN/ABC schedule.
post #4855 of 4860 Unread Yesterday, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
SFO throwing the peons a bone then?
post #4856 of 4860 Unread Yesterday, 10:40 AM

Quote:
SFO throwing the peons a bone then?
The Cavs are able to have a certain number of cable games simulcast on broadcast. WUAB has had that deal for a number of years.
post #4857 of 4860 Unread Yesterday, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The implication here is that this is another game that "cord cutters" will have access to, it probably was already scheduled before ESPN/ABC dropped the Knicks game.
post #4858 of 4860 Unread Today, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
The implication here is that this is another game that "cord cutters" will have access to, it probably was already scheduled before ESPN/ABC dropped the Knicks game.
Yes us evil nasty freeloadin' cord cutters don't deserve a Cavs (or Indians) games! ... we should learn to pay for such services like everyone else.

Escape....

I noted on 61.4 when a scene changes I get a bright digital momentary freeze blur, this is not related to reception either, anyone else noting this? (I may or may not had seen this on Grit too.. I recorded Dark Angel a couple weeks ago, I'll have to review it).
post #4859 of 4860 Unread Today, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Escape....

I noted on 61.4 when a scene changes I get a bright digital momentary freeze blur, this is not related to reception either, anyone else noting this? (I may or may not had seen this on Grit too.. I recorded Dark Angel a couple weeks ago, I'll have to review it).
I'm seeing brief pixelization on my Zenith DTT-900 converter box. It's like 61's signal is weak, but the signal strength bar is underneath the word "good". I have not verified the problem on my HDTV's. Likely it's an encoder problem with WQHS.

post #4860 of 4860 Unread Today, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes us evil nasty freeloadin' cord cutters don't deserve a Cavs (or Indians) games! ... we should learn to pay for such services like everyone else.

Escape....

You could just do what I do and not care about any sports and their overpaid athletes. ESPN is by far the most expensive cable channel at an average cost of $5.54/month per subscriber.

Quote:
I'm seeing brief pixelization on my Zenith DTT-900 converter box. It's like 61's signal is weak, but the signal strength bar is underneath the word "good". I have not verified the problem on my HDTV's. Likely it's an encoder problem with WQHS.
WQHS 61 has definitely been having some pixelation issues. I noticed it on 61.4, but I think even 61.1 had it too. The signal was already at 100%, so it wasn't that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page