Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #4891 of 4897 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fox 8.1

Any suggestions on what indoor to use to get Fox 8.1? I am in Cleveland using an amplified Mohu Leaf and get everything but Fox. I know it is VHF and that is my issue, but any recommendations for a VHF indoor or am I out of luck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 4897 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddfla View Post
Any suggestions on what indoor to use to get Fox 8.1? I am in Cleveland using an amplified Mohu Leaf and get everything but Fox. I know it is VHF and that is my issue, but any recommendations for a VHF indoor or am I out of luck?
The signal for WJW is blanketing Cleveland rather nicely, so there must be an issue on your end. The Mohu Leaf is not designed for VHF channels like WJW, but I have had some luck receiving WJW with it in Akron, and you have a better shot at it than me. It's very touchy though, and I have to place it outside for it to lock onto WJW. If you can purchase a long coaxial cable and set the Mohu on a deck or patio, then that would be your best bet. Building materials can shield TV reception, especially aluminum siding. And indoor antennas are prone to interference from common household items. High-VHF channels are more prone to this type of interference as well. An antenna that's equipped with good old-fashioned rabbit ears may work decent enough to receive WJW. You said you're receiving everything except WJW... are you receiving WOIO? That's also a high-VHF channel, and it's weaker. So I wouldn't understand how you can get WOIO but not WJW.
post #4893 of 4897 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you can receive WOIO, then you shouldn't have an issue with WJW. Where in your house do you have the antenna located? Have you tried moving the antenna to a different location? Also, make sure it's as close to a south facing wall and pointed towards Parma.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4894 of 4897 Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Make sure it's facing Parma through a window. UHF penetrates walls better than VHF, aiming through a glass window (preferably without a metal screen) should improve your reception.

Also you should not need an amplified antenna anywhere in the City of Cleveland. An amplifier will overload with all the strong signals.
post #4895 of 4897 Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
Noticed "This" was out around 4pm, we're in the middle of the spring solar outage season...
Me-TV was out again just after 2pm Wednesday. They must be using the SES 1 bird at 101.0°W.
Saw that it went out again today. I think you are right about the solar flares interfering with the satellite as someone on Me-TV's Facebook had problems with their affiliate losing the signal, but noted that it happens just before 2 PM. WOIO was quick to post the "difficulties" message though. Grit and Bounce were not affected.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #4896 of 4897 Old Today, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Saw that it went out again today. I think you are right about the solar flares interfering with the satellite as someone on Me-TV's Facebook had problems with their affiliate losing the signal, but noted that it happens just before 2 PM. WOIO was quick to post the "difficulties" message though. Grit and Bounce were not affected.
Sun outages affect satellite feeds when the sun perfectly lines up with where the satellite is located in the sky at the receiving location. Yesterday and today are the peak outage days here in Ohio. This will occur again in October. Based on your observation that the outage occured before 2 pm, that shows that Me-TV is coming from a satellite from around 101 degrees west longitude. Here's the sun outage prediction tool... http://www.satcomresources.com/Sun-Outage-Predictor This gives the times of the outages, and the duration.

And Me-TV does indeed originate from 101 degrees west... http://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/us/Me-TV.html

Grit, Bounce, and the Justice Network come from Galaxy 19 at 97 degrees west. The peak outage time for those will be at 1:47 pm today.

This TV will suffer its peak outage around 3:50 pm today.
OTA Newbie likes this.

Last edited by Andrew K; Today at 08:18 AM.
post #4897 of 4897 Old Today, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I guess the outage caused their local commercial timing to get messed up again, saw part of Twilight Zone wiped out by a local break that ran too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Sun outages affect satellite feeds when the sun perfectly lines up with where the satellite is located in the sky at the receiving location. Yesterday and today are the peak outage days here in Ohio. This will occur again in October. Based on your observation that the outage occured before 2 pm, that shows that Me-TV is coming from a satellite from around 101 degrees west longitude. Here's the sun outage prediction tool... http://www.satcomresources.com/Sun-Outage-Predictor This gives the times of the outages, and the duration.

And Me-TV does indeed originate from 101 degrees west... http://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/us/Me-TV.html

Grit, Bounce, and the Justice Network come from Galaxy 19 at 97 degrees west. The peak outage time for those will be at 1:47 pm today.

This TV will suffer its peak outage around 3:50 pm today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception