Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 172 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #5131 of 5147 Old Today, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've caught CKCO on 13 a couple of times in digital and CHCH/51 digital is fairly common in the summer.

WFMJ was in last night, for the first time since last summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
The channel 13 you're probably referring to is CKCO. That used to be a common appearance even down here in Akron up until a few years ago when they converted to digital. It's a lot tougher to get anything on digital compared to analog...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 5147 Old Today, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
I've caught CKCO on 13 a couple of times in digital and CHCH/51 digital is fairly common in the summer.

WFMJ was in last night, for the first time since last summer.
Where are you located? Where I'm at, CHCH/51 may be difficult. I'd have to aim the antenna north, and that would be in line with WEAO/50 which would clobber adjacent 51. I'm only a mile from the WEAO, WVPX, and WDLI towers.

Last night, most of the Pittsburgh stations were nearing 100% signal, and yet WPXI/48 was just barely decodeable due to adjacent WDLI/49 trying to wipe it out.

WTOL/11 was coming in from one direction, and I rotated the antenna the other way and received WPCW/11 from Pittsburgh. Although I think that they were still battling each other. WTOL was interferring a bit with WPCW even from the back of the antenna.

By the way, I haven't seen anything from CKCO since they've gone digital.

Speaking of e-skip. Here is example I received probably around 2006/07... WKYC went off the air, and I noticed something else was there. It was KIII from Corpus Christi Texas using indoor rabbit ears...
post #5133 of 5147 Old Today, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Saw WTOL last night for the first time this year, but was breaking up very badly. The signal quickly deteriorated and never came back. WTVG didn't decode (usually does when I can get WTOL). WMFD was almost strong enough to decode. (I've caught it before in the past). Can't aim the antenna towards the south/southeast for Columbus or Wheeling, though I did get blips from the Columbus stations one summer morning. I might be able to get blips from the Pittsburgh stations with my Youngstown antenna, but the nearby trees in that direction would probably be a problem.

My farthest analog DX were KDUH (1,121 miles), KLBY (1,062 miles), and KDFW (1,049 miles). My farthest digital DX has been stations from Grand Rapids & Battle Creek Michigan.

One station I've haven't seen in it's digital form is CICO-TV-32 from Windsor. It's analog station used to take over WRAP, once making the picture look like a scrambled cable channel.

Newer is not always better.

HDTVs: RCA L37WD12, Vizio E371VL, Samsung UN46H5203
DTV Converter Boxes: Zenith DTT900 & DTT901, Magnavox TB100MW9
post #5134 of 5147 Old Today, 08:07 AM

W16do/waoh

The hourly ID has been updated to reflect W16DO-D, at least in the Doctor Who promo that was just played.

...Then a DVD recorder-like menu pops up and a church program starts playing.

EDIT: Saw the hourly ID slide. They missed the .1 at the end of 16

Last edited by snowdog 88; Today at 12:01 PM.
post #5135 of 5147 Old Today, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
The hourly ID has been updated to reflect W16DO-D, at least in the Doctor Who promo that was just played.

...Then a DVD recorder-like menu pops up and a church program starts playing.
WAOH/W16DO had a program on last Saturday called Akron Buzz. It was a news style program which focused on events, activities, and food around the Akron area. It was very well produced, and I was surprised to see a local program like this on the Cat. But the program was out-of-date since it was promoting events that occurred last month. Now if they can only show current programs, update their guide information, and get rid of those squiggly lines.
post #5136 of 5147 Old Today, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Any regular DXers out there?:

I use to do this 'back in the day'. Got some neat Ionospheric Skip such as TV2 (PBS) out of FL. (I even donated a tiny amount to them as they were fund-raising at the time. I must have been one of the longest-distant viewers they ever heard from, eh?)

I remember pulling-in Bangor, Maine and some TX, OK, and KS stations. Most all of this was on Low-VHF (2-6) but some were HI (7-13).

Anyone catch such distances since the conversion to digital?
Fun going over this every so often...

Back in analog, I've pulled the Miami, Houston, New Orleans, KDFW (Dallas), Possibly a Tuscon 4.. unsure very faintly but whatever it was in Mountain time, plus either 2 or 4 from Oklahoma.... the day of the A to D conversion, the last analog signal I saw that day was KDFW.

Longest DX digital was 55 (virtual) out of Fort Wayne (pretty strong signal)... was the day of the conversion also. Probably a combo of good tropo & signal tweaking by ther stations, I received WCDN that day (all day), & that was the last I ever seen it as they likely did not have it's northeast null in place yet, or were running at slightly higher power.
post #5137 of 5147 Old Today, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Speaking of DXing, I was scanning through the channels tonight and noticed some tropospheric ducting. As of now, I'm able to receive Columbus, Zanesville, Pittsburgh, Wheeling, Steubenville, Erie, and Toledo. It's the first real tropo I've seen of the season, and some of the signals have surprisingly maxed out the signal bar.

Columbus - WCMH 4, WBNS 10, WWHO 53, WOSU 34, WSYX 6
Wheeling - WTRF 7
Steubenville - WTOV 9
Zanesville - WHIZ 18, WOUC 44
Pittsburgh - KDKA 2, WTAE 4, WPXI 11, WQED 13, WPCW (RF 11, Virtual 19), WPMY 22, WINP 16, WPGH 53
Erie - WFXP 66
Toledo - WTOL 11, WBGU 27, WTVG 13
Proof again all signals indeed do lead to Akron! No DX whatsoever up here last night & I did do a scan. No ION or 16 the last couple nights either.

One would think I would be picking up Canada occasionally, yet only seen 9 (Windsor??) once that was in 2011 (outdoor antenna).
post #5138 of 5147 Old Today, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Never ever thought in a million years that I would be watching old programs like Dr. Who and liking them better than the new stuff on TV now.
JJK
post #5139 of 5147 Old Today, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
Never ever thought in a million years that I would be watching old programs like Dr. Who and liking them better than the new stuff on TV now.
JJK
I pretty much just watch the diginets now (reason why I thought the lack of 16 is going to be a loss for me at some point), I seldom if at all watch network anymore.
post #5140 of 5147 Old Today, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Fun going over this every so often...

Back in analog, I've pulled the Miami, Houston, New Orleans, KDFW (Dallas), Possibly a Tuscon 4.. unsure very faintly but whatever it was in Mountain time, plus either 2 or 4 from Oklahoma.... the day of the A to D conversion, the last analog signal I saw that day was KDFW.

Longest DX digital was 55 (virtual) out of Fort Wayne (pretty strong signal)... was the day of the conversion also. Probably a combo of good tropo & signal tweaking by ther stations, I received WCDN that day (all day), & that was the last I ever seen it as they likely did not have it's northeast null in place yet, or were running at slightly higher power.
E-skip happens very frequently on low-VHF channels and very very rarely on high-VHF channels. I've seen some people who've logged some e-skip channels from around 900-1500 miles and even double e-skip for up to 3000 miles. In the analog era, I just remember seeing the squiggly lines begin to interfere with a local channel until it grew in intensity. While at the family cabin up in Ontario, I remember frequently seeing Florida channels interfere with locals, like WJXT channel 4 in Jacksonville (which had an unforgettable colorful logo).

I personally wouldn't mind if channels were forced to go back to the low-VHF channels during the spectrum repacking, because it would make for some interesting DXing conditions. But catching a digital signal on low-VHF channels 2-6 is more difficult. The channel width is 6 Mhz, and if there's any significant interference within that spectrum, it can cause total loss of picture. During e-skip, it's common to only receive a portion of that 6 Mhz spectrum, so in the analog days, you could sometimes receive a picture with no sound and vice versa. But with digital, you either get it all or you get nothing.

Last year, I set up an FM antenna with a good tuner at my home. During that summer I monitored the e-skip conditions. I found a current map which listed where it would occur, and the maximum e-skip frequency. From using that map, I was able to log many FM radio stations from various cities in Texas, Mississipi, and Louisiana. I would intentionally point my antenna in the direction of a sporadic e-cloud which listed a high frequency. The map is very accurate. Here is the website I used... http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?...XC=N&HF=N&GL=N

Once, probably 15 years ago, I logged analog UHF Fox 32 from Chicago using an indoor antenna. I also logged a UHF station from Lexington Kentucky. It's very rare to see tropospheric ducting that extreme around here, but it does happen a lot down near the Gulf of Mexico and other bodies of water. In fact, I've heard of UHF stations traveling from Hawaii to California due to the common tropospheric ducting that occurs between those two states, even though it's a couple thousand miles.

Last edited by Andrew K; Today at 09:53 AM.
post #5141 of 5147 Old Today, 09:55 AM

Quote:
One would think I would be picking up Canada occasionally, yet only seen 9 (Windsor??) once that was in 2011 (outdoor antenna).
I was getting something on RF 9 last night. I don't think it was CBET since WOIO's signal tends to degrade from CFPL when CBET comes in. It could have been WTOV since Andrew was receiving stations from that area.

post #5142 of 5147 Old Today, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I was getting something on RF 9 last night. I don't think it was CBET since WOIO's signal tends to degrade from CFPL when CBET comes in. It could have been WTOV since Andrew was receiving stations from that area.
WTOV was coming in nicely last night, even with the antenna pointed in different directions. That's most likely what pegged your signal bar upward.
post #5143 of 5147 Old Today, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I remember frequently seeing Florida channels interfere with locals, like WJXT channel 4 in Jacksonville (which had an unforgettable colorful logo).

I personally wouldn't mind if channels were forced to go back to the low-VHF channels during the spectrum repacking, because it would make for some interesting DXing conditions.

Last year, I set up an FM antenna with a good tuner at my home. During that summer I monitored the e-skip conditions. I found a current map which listed where it would occur, and the maximum e-skip frequency. From using that map, I was able to log many FM radio stations from various cities in Texas, Mississipi, and Louisiana. I would intentionally point my antenna in the direction of a sporadic e-cloud which listed a high frequency. The map is very accurate. Here is the website I used... http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?...XC=N&HF=N&GL=N

Hmmm, the assembling (or imploding) "4" logo on WJXT (early 80's not sure if they are still using it).

VHF?? really will not get anything, & suseptable to weather.

Ham radio Grid squares, eh?
post #5144 of 5147 Old Today, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Update on WIVM:
39.3 will for now be Retro TV 24/7. The lineup as of 5AM Monday will be

39.1-This TV and Local programing
39.2 This TV 24/7
39.3 Retro 24/7
39.4 Faith Ministry Radio-Simulcast of WJDD Carrollton and WJEE Bolivar/Canton-Denny and Marge Hazen Ministries.
post #5145 of 5147 Old Today, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lones View Post
Update on WIVM:
39.3 will for now be Retro TV 24/7. The lineup as of 5AM Monday will be

39.1-This TV and Local programing
39.2 This TV 24/7
39.3 Retro 24/7
39.4 Faith Ministry Radio-Simulcast of WJDD Carrollton and WJEE Bolivar/Canton-Denny and Marge Hazen Ministries.
So most of the time, 39.1 and 39.2 will just be duplicates of the same programming?
post #5146 of 5147 Old Today, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
A good part of the time. But 39.1 has more local programming than you would think..There will likely be some creative time changes I would think..
post #5147 of 5147 Old Today, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Ham radio Grid squares, eh?
Yep. Hams are the primary reason for that site's existence. TVDX is secondary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception