post #5191 of 5198 Old Today, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Spoke too soon, no 8 last night & throughout the night & pixelated 19, this AM a very pixelated 8, a somewhat pixelated 19, strange though ION was coming in overnight & this AM with a steady 60% bar.
I noticed there was some slight tropo this morning, so that's probably why. Tropo can cause signals to not only go places they shouldn't, but also NOT go places they should. Where I live, the slightest tropo seems to bring in KDKA/25 and WPMY/42 out of Pittsburgh. For me, WIVM/39 is been hit-or-miss lately. That seems to be a problem for the low powereds, they come in 100% one day and then fail to meet the required noise margin to decode the next day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5198 Old Today, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
The two WJW translators are not happening. Local TV said so when it applied for the now ill-fated RF 31 allocation...saying the translators were a plan by previous ownership (Fox?).

No idea, though, how Tribune feels about the issue, though those two translator apps probably aren't coming back two owners later.
Those repeaters have been listed on the FCC query for a few years now. I doubt that FOX applied for those repeaters since WJW was sold to Local TV LLC back in 2007. WJW was still on pre-transition channel 31 at that time, and who knows if moving to RF 8 after the transition was even thought of back then. IMO, they should have stayed put on RF 31.

Newer is not always better.

HDTVs: RCA L37WD12, Vizio E371VL, Samsung UN46H5203
DTV Converter Boxes: Zenith DTT900 & DTT901, Magnavox TB100MW9
post #5193 of 5198 Old Today, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Spoke too soon, no 8 last night & throughout the night & pixelated 19, this AM a very pixelated 8, a somewhat pixelated 19, strange though ION was coming in overnight & this AM with a steady 60% bar.
Bismarck, at one time you asked what the best digital tuner is, and the Insignia NS-DXA1/Zenith DTT tuners were recommended because they're great at handling multipath. But I would also make another recommendation... get a distribution amp with a low noise figure, like the Channel Master CM-3414. Technically, you want a tuner with the lowest noise margin you can find, because that's what translates to a signal that decodes better. But nearly all tuner manufacturers do not publish this information. The noise figure of a tuner is typically in the range of 5 to 8 dB, which is crappy. If you have a distribution amplifier, or even a preamplifier, the noise figure of that will replace the noise figure of the TV or the tuner you're using. The noise figure of the CM-3414 is less than 2 dB. So if your tuner's noise figure is 6 dB, then you're gaining 4 dB of noise margin... that's a gain factor of 2.5 times the signal!!

Last edited by Andrew K; Today at 12:54 PM.
post #5194 of 5198 Old Today, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Bismarck, at one time you asked what the best digital tuner is, and the Insignia NS-DXA1/Zenith DTT tuners were recommended because they're great at handling multipath. But I would also make another recommendation... get a distribution amp with a low noise figure, like the Channel Master CM-3414. Technically, you want a tuner with the lowest noise margin you can find, because that's what translates to a signal that decodes better. But nearly all tuner manufacturers do not publish this information. The noise figure of a tuner is typically in the range of 5 to 8 dB, which is crappy. If you have a distribution amplifier, or even a preamplifier, the noise figure of that will replace the noise figure of the TV or the tuner you're using. The noise figure of the CM-3414 is less than 2 dB. So if your tuner's noise figure is 6 dB, then you're gaining 4 dB of noise margin... that's a gain factor of 2.5 times the signal!!
That is on the Zenith DTT tuner with a small 10db signal amp, which does not seem to matter one way or another in this case. I am going directly from the antenna in the attic to a wall pass to the amp, to the tuner to a VCR than through a set. The VCR should not figure into this equasion, 8 should be back, but it often behaves this way & disappears for a day or 2.... I just missed the goofballs this AM!
post #5195 of 5198 Old Today, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Those repeaters have been listed on the FCC query for a few years now. I doubt that FOX applied for those repeaters since WJW was sold to Local TV LLC back in 2007. WJW was still on pre-transition channel 31 at that time, and who knows if moving to RF 8 after the transition was even thought of back then. IMO, they should have stayed put on RF 31.
I'll have to check when I get to my computer, but I believe the renewed RF 31 app mentioned that the translators were part of a plan by previous ownership and were no longer considered viable.

I am not sure which owner was responsible. But I am not making this up...
post #5196 of 5198 Unread Today, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
I'll have to check when I get to my computer, but I believe the renewed RF 31 app mentioned that the translators were part of a plan by previous ownership and were no longer considered viable.

I am not sure which owner was responsible. But I am not making this up...
I would think that the applications for the repeaters would be dismissed if the RF 31 move was approved. If the move to RF 31 was dismissed*, then maybe the repeaters would get built. You would think that WYFX (or WYFX on WKBN) would do a good job covering the area of the WJW repeaters.

*I think Trip did say that the RF 31 app was dismissed, even though it's still listed on the FCC's query site.

Newer is not always better.

HDTVs: RCA L37WD12, Vizio E371VL, Samsung UN46H5203
DTV Converter Boxes: Zenith DTT900 & DTT901, Magnavox TB100MW9
post #5197 of 5198 Unread Today, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
The channel 31 was dismissed and the 21/46 permits have expired. WJW's coverage is as it will be for the foreseeable future.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #5198 of 5198 Unread Today, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Trip, can you provide a CDBS link or something public regarding 31's dismissal?

My Fox solution is 27.2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page