Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 177 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 108Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5281 of 5296 Old 04-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
Yep, Hepburn predicted it: http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html(see Apr. 14 1200 UTC)

It's gone now

It will return (although not as strong) tomorrow at 0000 UTC which is actually 7 PM tonight our time.
You're right. I checked the Hepburn maps yesterday and saw some weak to fair tropo. But what really hinted me in was this website which is live... http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

Here is what it looked like this morning. Tropo was coming in from the east, but not as much from the west. So what was really happening actually matched the current map.


By the way, I picked up some low powereds too... W44CR-44 (WNEO's Youngstown repeater), WPCP-27, and WPXI-33 (WPXI's repeater for northern Pittsburgh)...


Andrew K is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5282 of 5296 Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Member
 
OTA Newbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Euclid, OH
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Titan TV guide has added the channel listings for Laff TV, if anyone is interested.

Looks like some pretty cute movies will be airing - ya gotta love "The Freshman"!

See Bismarck440, you don't have to move after all - surely channel 5 comes in just fine for you?
OTA Newbie is offline  
post #5283 of 5296 Old 04-14-2015, 12:29 PM
Member
 
jxg0754's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looks like WRAP's new Digital Application is now Modification of Construction Permit

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WRAP

It could be possible we see it digital this year
jxg0754 is offline  
post #5284 of 5296 Old 04-15-2015, 05:59 AM
Member
 
greenpjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
It will return (although not as strong) tomorrow at 0000 UTC which is actually 7 PM tonight our time.

A minor nit... 0000 UTC is 8 PM our time. UTC doesn't observe daylight savings time so we are only 4 hours behind in the summer - 5 in winter.
greenpjs is online now  
post #5285 of 5296 Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 36
LAFF is on, but the aspect ratio is messed up like WKYC 3.2. (Stretched 4x3 image in a 16x9 broadcast).

EDIT: Aspect ratio was fixed sometime this afternoon.

Newer is not always better.

HDTVs: RCA L37WD12, Vizio E371VL, Samsung UN46H5203
DTV Converter Boxes: Zenith DTT900 & DTT901, Magnavox TB100MW9

Last edited by snowdog 88; 04-15-2015 at 01:49 PM.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #5286 of 5296 Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
Yep, Hepburn predicted it: http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html(see Apr. 14 1200 UTC)

It's gone now

It will return (although not as strong) tomorrow at 0000 UTC which is actually 7 PM tonight our time.
I this why I was getting ION, & 16 late last night early this AM... thought this might be the summer thing.

BTW 16's guide is off, Route 66 was on around 1:30 & the guide said something else (Bold Ones?)

Picture is dark (of course my set brightness is set down too).
Bismarck440 is offline  
post #5287 of 5296 Old 04-15-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Newbie View Post
Titan TV guide has added the channel listings for Laff TV, if anyone is interested.

Looks like some pretty cute movies will be airing - ya gotta love "The Freshman"!

See Bismarck440, you don't have to move after all - surely channel 5 comes in just fine for you?
Off the attic OK, downstars mostly not though 5, 61 & 43 were all coming in on the indoor loop last night.

The attic setup is generally reliable for the farm with the 19 & 8 issues & occasional multipath on 5... I know I gripe at times. I would like to split this but thought It might break everything by cutting wires at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg0754 View Post
Looks like WRAP's new Digital Application is now Modification of Construction Permit

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WRAP

It could be possible we see it digital this year
Looks tthe same, what was the mod?
Bismarck440 is offline  
post #5288 of 5296 Old 04-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
BTW 16's guide is off, Route 66 was on around 1:30 & the guide said something else (Bold Ones?)

Picture is dark (of course my set brightness is set down too).
The guide is off because W16DO's clock is a hour behind. The picture is dark due to Media-Com's outdated or uncalibrated equipment.

Newer is not always better.

HDTVs: RCA L37WD12, Vizio E371VL, Samsung UN46H5203
DTV Converter Boxes: Zenith DTT900 & DTT901, Magnavox TB100MW9
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #5289 of 5296 Old 04-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
The guide is off because W16DO's clock is a hour behind. The picture is dark due to Media-Com's outdated or uncalibrated equipment.
I was watching Sports Talk with Steve French, and the picture quality and graphics made me feel like I was watching a news broadcast taped in the 70s...

https://twitter.com/ohiomediawatch/s...26203301216256

Last edited by Andrew K; 04-15-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Andrew K is online now  
post #5290 of 5296 Old 04-15-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I was watching Sports Talk with Steve French, and the picture quality and graphics made me feel like I was watching a news broadcast taped in the 70s...

https://twitter.com/ohiomediawatch/s...26203301216256
I didn't note the clock as this is only 16's third appearance at my place. it doesn't look all that bad on a CRT, & I do prefer the picture a bit dimmer, I guess I could set up a custom setting (or try one of the existing), but might not be worth the bother if this is going to be hit & miss (mostly miss).

Is 16 still showing the Son of Ghoul on Saturdays & the Japan Genre on Sundays?
Bismarck440 is offline  
post #5291 of 5296 Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Michael P 2341's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Parma, OH
Posts: 1,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I this why I was getting ION, & 16 late last night early this AM... thought this might be the summer thing.

BTW 16's guide is off, Route 66 was on around 1:30 & the guide said something else (Bold Ones?)

Picture is dark (of course my set brightness is set down too).
16 might as well not have any guide (or clock) at all, it has not been correct since the day they singed on. 7 (virtual 53) never had any data but at least they finaly went true HD.
Michael P 2341 is offline  
post #5292 of 5296 Old 04-16-2015, 02:41 AM
Member
 
jxg0754's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Speaking of W16DO there was an article on Record-Courier's site on March 31 I do not know what it had said other than they converted to digital,
I do not have a subscription but maybe it is possible that future plans for the station may have been revealed in the article,
If someone read the article or has a subscription maybe they could give everyone an idea if future plans were revealed

here is the link to the article
http://www.recordpub.com/news%20loca...rts-to-digital
jxg0754 is offline  
post #5293 of 5296 Old 04-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Member
 
jxg0754's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Off the attic OK, downstars mostly not though 5, 61 & 43 were all coming in on the indoor loop last night.

The attic setup is generally reliable for the farm with the 19 & 8 issues & occasional multipath on 5... I know I gripe at times. I would like to split this but thought It might break everything by cutting wires at this point.



Looks tthe same, what was the mod?
The Modification just ended up being the same as when they were originally going to broadcast from downtown cleveland then to WJW's tower so it is basically an extension of that
jxg0754 is offline  
post #5294 of 5296 Old Yesterday, 03:57 AM
Senior Member
 
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

I currently have the monster Yagi in the attic now and
the large elements are snapped and hanging on it now.

It's laying in the rafters, so not too much of an issue.


Laying in the rafters? Would that be 'A' or 'B' in the pic below?












.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attic.png
Views:	78
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	670481  

- Pj
2014 Vizio P-Series P502ui-B1E (50") TV, Firmware: 1.1.19. Win7 Pro and FireFox 36xx, Desktop.
For CLE Area HDTV Thread: I got a ClearStream-4 connected to dying DTX9950 to Comp.-In of Philips 3576H; local CableTV to RF-In - connected to 2nd-time boards-replaced Philips 19PFL3403D (See www.BadCaps.Net).
CleCakYngMfd is online now  
post #5295 of 5296 Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Laying in the rafters? Would that be 'A' or 'B' in the pic below?







That would be closer to B & it has to run in the other direction to the joists & at a slight angle. I have a rope suspending it up a bit from mid boom to keep it sort of level too, so it's not actually laying on the joists. Due to it's size & the angle it has to be, I really have it in a most optimal position (from what I have to work with)

Reason why I thought a Flyswatter or the Grey Hoverman Design if smaller might work better getting it a bit higher, & perhaps on a mast within the attic.

Edit: on a couple of the large elements on this Yagi have the plastic insulators snapped & the elements are just hanging by that wire (& half the broken insulator) that criss crosses down the boom, I wanted to remove the larger elements & terminate the end, making this shorter & more manuverable within the attic, but I hear a lot of 'cons' to doing this that I'm 'compromising' the 'total design' of the antenna.

Last edited by Bismarck440; Yesterday at 10:10 AM.
Bismarck440 is offline  
post #5296 of 5296 Old Today, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 35
More tropo last night here in northeast Ohio, which was coming from various directions... Charleston/Huntington WV and Buffalo NY. The Pittsburghs have been solid all night, without any breakups or dropouts.





Andrew K is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off