Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 177 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 109Likes
post #5281 of 5301 Old 04-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
Yep, Hepburn predicted it: http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html(see Apr. 14 1200 UTC)

It's gone now

It will return (although not as strong) tomorrow at 0000 UTC which is actually 7 PM tonight our time.
You're right. I checked the Hepburn maps yesterday and saw some weak to fair tropo. But what really hinted me in was this website which is live... http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

Here is what it looked like this morning. Tropo was coming in from the east, but not as much from the west. So what was really happening actually matched the current map.

By the way, I picked up some low powereds too... W44CR-44 (WNEO's Youngstown repeater), WPCP-27, and WPXI-33 (WPXI's repeater for northern Pittsburgh)...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 5301 Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Titan TV guide has added the channel listings for Laff TV, if anyone is interested.

Looks like some pretty cute movies will be airing - ya gotta love "The Freshman"!

See Bismarck440, you don't have to move after all - surely channel 5 comes in just fine for you?
post #5283 of 5301 Old 04-14-2015, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looks like WRAP's new Digital Application is now Modification of Construction Permit

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WRAP

It could be possible we see it digital this year
post #5284 of 5301 Old 04-15-2015, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
It will return (although not as strong) tomorrow at 0000 UTC which is actually 7 PM tonight our time.

A minor nit... 0000 UTC is 8 PM our time. UTC doesn't observe daylight savings time so we are only 4 hours behind in the summer - 5 in winter.
post #5285 of 5301 Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
LAFF is on, but the aspect ratio is messed up like WKYC 3.2. (Stretched 4x3 image in a 16x9 broadcast).

EDIT: Aspect ratio was fixed sometime this afternoon.

Newer is not always better.

HDTVs: RCA L37WD12, Vizio E371VL, Samsung UN46H5203
DTV Converter Boxes: Zenith DTT900 & DTT901, Magnavox TB100MW9

Last edited by snowdog 88; 04-15-2015 at 01:49 PM.
post #5286 of 5301 Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Yep, Hepburn predicted it: http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html(see Apr. 14 1200 UTC)

It's gone now

I this why I was getting ION, & 16 late last night early this AM... thought this might be the summer thing.

BTW 16's guide is off, Route 66 was on around 1:30 & the guide said something else (Bold Ones?)

Picture is dark (of course my set brightness is set down too).
post #5287 of 5301 Old 04-15-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Newbie View Post
Titan TV guide has added the channel listings for Laff TV, if anyone is interested.

Looks like some pretty cute movies will be airing - ya gotta love "The Freshman"!

See Bismarck440, you don't have to move after all - surely channel 5 comes in just fine for you?
Off the attic OK, downstars mostly not though 5, 61 & 43 were all coming in on the indoor loop last night.

The attic setup is generally reliable for the farm with the 19 & 8 issues & occasional multipath on 5... I know I gripe at times. I would like to split this but thought It might break everything by cutting wires at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg0754 View Post
Looks like WRAP's new Digital Application is now Modification of Construction Permit

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WRAP

It could be possible we see it digital this year
Looks tthe same, what was the mod?
post #5288 of 5301 Old 04-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
BTW 16's guide is off, Route 66 was on around 1:30 & the guide said something else (Bold Ones?)

The guide is off because W16DO's clock is a hour behind. The picture is dark due to Media-Com's outdated or uncalibrated equipment.

post #5289 of 5301 Old 04-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
The guide is off because W16DO's clock is a hour behind. The picture is dark due to Media-Com's outdated or uncalibrated equipment.
I was watching Sports Talk with Steve French, and the picture quality and graphics made me feel like I was watching a news broadcast taped in the 70s...

https://twitter.com/ohiomediawatch/s...26203301216256

Last edited by Andrew K; 04-15-2015 at 09:35 AM.
post #5290 of 5301 Old 04-15-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I was watching Sports Talk with Steve French, and the picture quality and graphics made me feel like I was watching a news broadcast taped in the 70s...

https://twitter.com/ohiomediawatch/s...26203301216256
I didn't note the clock as this is only 16's third appearance at my place. it doesn't look all that bad on a CRT, & I do prefer the picture a bit dimmer, I guess I could set up a custom setting (or try one of the existing), but might not be worth the bother if this is going to be hit & miss (mostly miss).

Is 16 still showing the Son of Ghoul on Saturdays & the Japan Genre on Sundays?
post #5291 of 5301 Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
I this why I was getting ION, & 16 late last night early this AM... thought this might be the summer thing.

16 might as well not have any guide (or clock) at all, it has not been correct since the day they singed on. 7 (virtual 53) never had any data but at least they finaly went true HD.
post #5292 of 5301 Old 04-16-2015, 02:41 AM

Speaking of W16DO there was an article on Record-Courier's site on March 31 I do not know what it had said other than they converted to digital,
I do not have a subscription but maybe it is possible that future plans for the station may have been revealed in the article,
If someone read the article or has a subscription maybe they could give everyone an idea if future plans were revealed

here is the link to the article
http://www.recordpub.com/news%20loca...rts-to-digital
post #5293 of 5301 Old 04-16-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Off the attic OK, downstars mostly not though 5, 61 & 43 were all coming in on the indoor loop last night.

The attic setup is generally reliable for the farm with the 19 & 8 issues & occasional multipath on 5... I know I gripe at times. I would like to split this but thought It might break everything by cutting wires at this point.

Looks tthe same, what was the mod?
The Modification just ended up being the same as when they were originally going to broadcast from downtown cleveland then to WJW's tower so it is basically an extension of that
post #5294 of 5301 Old 04-17-2015, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I currently have the monster Yagi in the attic now and
the large elements are snapped and hanging on it now.

It's laying in the rafters, so not too much of an issue.

Laying in the rafters? Would that be 'A' or 'B' in the pic below?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attic.png
Views:	170
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	670481  

- Pj
Vizio P-Series - 2014 P502ui-B1E (50") TV, Firmware: 1.1.19. Win7 Pro and FireFox 37.0.1, Desktop.
Other Equipment: ClearStream-4 connected to dying DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local CableTV to RF-In - connected to 2nd-time boards-replaced Philips 19PFL3403D (See www.BadCaps.Net - Poorly made caps).
post #5295 of 5301 Old 04-17-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Laying in the rafters? Would that be 'A' or 'B' in the pic below?

That would be closer to B & it has to run in the other direction to the joists & at a slight angle. I have a rope suspending it up a bit from mid boom to keep it sort of level too, so it's not actually laying on the joists. Due to it's size & the angle it has to be, I really have it in a most optimal position (from what I have to work with)

Reason why I thought a Flyswatter or the Grey Hoverman Design if smaller might work better getting it a bit higher, & perhaps on a mast within the attic.

Edit: on a couple of the large elements on this Yagi have the plastic insulators snapped & the elements are just hanging by that wire (& half the broken insulator) that criss crosses down the boom, I wanted to remove the larger elements & terminate the end, making this shorter & more manuverable within the attic, but I hear a lot of 'cons' to doing this that I'm 'compromising' the 'total design' of the antenna.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 04-17-2015 at 10:10 AM.
post #5296 of 5301 Old 04-18-2015, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

More tropo last night here in northeast Ohio, which was coming from various directions... Charleston/Huntington WV and Buffalo NY. The Pittsburghs have been solid all night, without any breakups or dropouts.

OTA Newbie likes this.
post #5297 of 5301 Old Today, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Did anyone else experience any tropospheric propagation this weekend causing interference to locals? Yesterday morning, it seemed like there were some weak signals coming from the north. And WOIO's signal on channel 10 was experiencing problems. I noticed when I rotated the antenna and pointed it toward London Ontario's CFPL, the signal level was still high on the signal indicator (75%), definitely high enough to decode, but nothing was actually decoding. This must have been a clear sign that there was something else present on channel 10, but the two signals were blocking the possibility of a decode. Channel 51 out of London appeared at the time this occurred. I'm way down here in Akron, so it must have been worse along the lake.
post #5298 of 5301 Old Today, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did anyone else experience any tropospheric propagation this weekend causing interference to locals? Yesterday morning, it seemed like there were some weak signals coming from the north. And WOIO's signal on channel 10 was experiencing problems. I noticed when I rotated the antenna and pointed it toward London Ontario's CFPL, the signal level was still high on the signal indicator (75%), definitely high enough to decode, but nothing was actually decoding. This must have been a clear sign that there was something else present on channel 10, but the two signals were blocking the possibility of a decode. Channel 51 out of London appeared at the time this occurred. I'm way down here in Akron, so it must have been worse along the lake.
Friday night the Akron Signals were booming in (17 & 23 nearly 95%, better than the farm) , & sometimes during the weekend 19 was pixilating or gone.

Scans all weekend did not yield anything other than Akron Signals & a rare appearance of WRLM on Friday night.
post #5299 of 5301 Old Today, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Friday night the Akron Signals were booming in (17 & 23 nearly 95%, better than the farm) , & sometimes during the weekend 19 was pixilating or gone.

Scans all weekend did not yield anything other than Akron Signals & a rare appearance of WRLM on Friday night.
Yeah, that makes sense. WYTV was coming in at 100% no matter which direction I pointed my antenna. Normally a station like that is limited by its low tower height, but signals were traveling well beyond the horizon. Erie was booming in on Friday night, and had it not been for W16DO/16, WOIO/24 and WEAO/50, I undoubtedly would have received the entire Erie market stations.

post #5300 of 5301 Old Today, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nothing unusual where I'm at. Only thing I noticed was that W16DO was completely off the air Sunday afternoon.

Quote:
Yeah, that makes sense. WYTV was coming in at 100% no matter which direction I pointed my antenna. Normally a station like that is limited by its low tower height, but signals were traveling well beyond the horizon. Erie was booming in on Friday night, and had it not been for W16DO/16, WOIO/24 and WEAO/50, I undoubtedly would have received the entire Erie market stations.
Some 3-4 years ago, I was able to receive WKBN inside my house one night with my coathanger antenna. When I connected my outdoor Youngstown antenna, WKBN was booming in like a local station. WFMJ was also coming in, a rarity for me.

Normally WKBN comes in at ~65% on the Zenith converter box with WYTV right on the decoding threshold (weather pending). WFMJ is never strong enough to decode (null in my direction) and I've never been able to receive their digital signal under normal conditions. I bet if I was higher up with less trees in that direction, maybe reception of WYTV and WFMJ would improve. I also want to upgrade my Youngstown antenna to one with a bowtie in hope that WYTV's reception would improve. My neighbor had an VHF/UHF antenna w/ bowtie on his house and I wanted to ask him if I could have the antenna since he was going to remove it. He secretly removed it one morning by letting it fall to the ground (cable is still dangling from the top of the house) and very quickly discarded it. He had a less obstructed path towards the Youngstown towers. Oh well.

post #5301 of 5301 Unread Today, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Some 3-4 years ago, I was able to receive WKBN inside my house one night with my coathanger antenna. When I connected my outdoor Youngstown antenna, WKBN was booming in like a local station. WFMJ was also coming in, a rarity for me.
Back in '86 when I got a full strength (for about 4-5 hours) KRQU out of Cheyenne, (along with several stations fading in & out out of Tampa & southern Georgia that stormy afternoon, I was doing this with about a 15 foot piece of RG(by god)59 going up to my attic, but not connected to an antenna.

I was getting heartbeats on 41, 48 & 39 Friday night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page