Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 178 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 117Likes
post #5311 of 5336 Old 04-22-2015, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
My DigitalStream Converter Box has 'gone to sleep' again. The temperature in my room had dipped into the mid-60s and I didn't have the CB covered.

I'll try to revive it with my heat gun.

Could this CB be in my future?...

As soon as my daughter gets around to getting herself a new TV, a very similar one is yours if you want it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5336 Old 04-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Looks like WOIO is having issues with Me-TV. I turned CHiPs on and the show kept breaking up and blacking out. Appears to be satellite related.

Watching Andy now and it appears that 19's automation isn't responding to any of the triggers for the hourly id or the Cleveland bug. Local commercials are responding to their triggers, but the timing is off by a few seconds... again!

Newer is not always better.

HDTVs: RCA L37WD12, Vizio E371VL, Samsung UN46H5203
DTV Converter Boxes: Zenith DTT900 & DTT901, Magnavox TB100MW9
post #5313 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
My DigitalStream Converter Box has 'gone to sleep' again. The temperature in my room had dipped into the mid-60s and I didn't have the CB covered.

I'll try to revive it with my heat gun.

Could this CB be in my future?...

That's really strange, both of my Zenith 901's had that "Cold Start" issue right out of the box, yet only hear of 1 other instance of this over on the 900/901 fourms (of course most live in California, Florida or Texas & never see this issue.), was a May of 2008 Manufactuing date defect apparently. If I could pinpoint the culprit (I'd assume a cap), I'd replace it.

Every year it seems to get worse, I generally just keep them on 24/7 only problem is when I unplug the for a storm or a power failure.
I keep them on 24/7, I need a heat gun for winter starts, when I have the down when I'm out.

66 Degrees was the magic starting temperature for years now that seems to had gone up a bit.

Supposevely the Zinwell in a Clone of the Zenith/Insignia & made by LG (??)
post #5314 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Newbie View Post
I miss This! too......

While I enjoy Movies!, it's too similar to the movies on Get - my daughter and I miss the newer movies.
I found it to be like the Get too, Get is in Squeeze vision on my 4:3 CRT (set tied to the attic antenna so only set I watch it on)

I'm levitating more to Escape, with a few newer movies on Grit, the 80's B movie VHS Genere I liked was covered by This.

I miss those old Mom & Pop Video rental places, I stopped renting a lot when they were ran under by the big box chains.... Kinda like when cable undermined local TV.

I hear they are showing MS Theater 3000 on 16 on the weekends.
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #5315 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Local Cavs Playoff Coverage?

Thought one of the locals would have rights for OTA Cavs Playoff games, guess well only see these on weekends on ABC now.

Been a while, I forgot.
post #5316 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I found it to be like the Get too, Get is in Squeeze vision on my 4:3 CRT (set tied to the attic antenna so only set I watch it on)

I'm levitating more to Escape, with a few newer movies on Grit, the 80's B movie VHS Genere I liked was covered by This.

I miss those old Mom & Pop Video rental places, I stopped renting a lot when they were ran under by the big box chains.... Kinda like when cable undermined local TV.

I hear they are showing MS Theater 3000 on 16 on the weekends.
The movies on Laff Tv are pretty good and newer, so I've been gravitating more toward that channel. But yeah, it's those 80's B movie genre that I miss too - especially my daughter, who was born in 1988 - This Tv was her favorite 'go-to' channel for weekend days, especially during the winter. She's usually out at the bars on Friday and Saturday nights and enjoyed holing up in her room watching those 80's movies on This or the CW on Sundays.

I liked those old mom & pop video stores too! It was such a treat back in the day to head out to the video store to get some movies for the weekend! I'm not a big fan of corporate, big box takeovers, either. As far as I know, there is still a mom & pop type video store on Mayfied Rd in Mayfield Hts. called "Captain Video" - at least there was two years ago, last time I was out that way. But nowadays, I can find most everything I need from the library or Redbox if necessary. Hope you guys can use Clevenet out your way!

As far as MS Theater 3000, we've only been able to catch it occasionally - 16 is pretty sporadic coverage for us. Sad, cuz the Saturday night lineup looks to be like some pretty cheesy fun stuff!
post #5317 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Thought one of the locals would have rights for OTA Cavs Playoff games.
Guess well only see these on weekends on ABC now.

Try this: http://www.livesportstreams.tv/en/main

Select Basketball.

I'll be watching either on my AFTV/Kodi box or at my brother's place.

- Pj
Vizio P-Series - 2014 P502ui-B1E (50") TV, Firmware: 1.1.19. Win7 Pro and FireFox 37.0.1, Desktop.
Other Equipment: ClearStream-4 connected to dying DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local CableTV to RF-In - connected to 2nd-time boards-replaced Philips 19PFL3403D (See www.BadCaps.Net - Poorly made caps).
post #5318 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

Question for all of you experts out there:

We're set to close on a house in June - built in 1951 and already has an antenna on the roof - I guess it's a chimney mount.

The people who live there now obviously have Dish network, but we wondered what the likelihood is that the existing wiring from an antenna installation is still any good? We intend on bringing our AntennaCraft HBU 33 chain link fence mount on over and swapping it out with the existing antenna......is this a good idea or should we count on having to have a professional installation?
post #5319 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

Quote:

As soon as my daughter gets around to getting herself a new TV,
a very similar one is yours if you want it!

Yes, thank you!

I got mine going again - for now.

Opened it up and took a heat gun to it. Had to quickly plug/unplug until the Green LED turned Red (Off). Then I turned it on (Green LED) and it booted up.

Cheap cellphone camera is not focused at closeups:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DTX9950 - Opened for Heat Gun[] .JPG
Views:	99
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	681929   Click image for larger version

Name:	DTX9950 - Opened for Heat Gun - [PS].JPG
Views:	100
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	681945  
OTA Newbie likes this.

- Pj
Vizio P-Series - 2014 P502ui-B1E (50") TV, Firmware: 1.1.19. Win7 Pro and FireFox 37.0.1, Desktop.
Other Equipment: ClearStream-4 connected to dying DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local CableTV to RF-In - connected to 2nd-time boards-replaced Philips 19PFL3403D (See www.BadCaps.Net - Poorly made caps).
post #5320 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, thank you!

Opened it up and took a heat gun to it. Had to quickly plug/unplug until the Green LED turned Red (Off). Then I turned it on (Green LED) and it booted up.

Hopefully she'll have saved enough so that her next paycheck.....sigh....she needs to quit going out partying every weekend!

Yeah, I know what you mean about old electronics.....our 11 year old computer monitor is having the same, cold-start problems where we have to turn it on and off repeatedly in order to view after it's been off at night. Always something, isn't it!
post #5321 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

Quote:

That's really strange, both of my Zenith 901's had that "Cold Start" issue right out of the box,
yet I only hear of one other instance of this over on the 900/901 forums...

If I could pinpoint the culprit (I'd assume a cap), I'd replace it.

Every year it seems to get worse, I generally just keep them on 24/7
only problem is when I unplug the for a storm or a power failure.

Yeah, it's a cap or caps. I'm going to have to order me some (See www.BadCaps.Net) and see if I can get my DTX9950 working right. (First, a replacement box, though.)

If I recall, the guy over there at the above-mentioned site says it is usually the bigger caps that will fail vs the smaller and tiny ones. Maybe I need to replace the two big ones, and maybe the other 4 smaller ones also, on the PS board.

If you have not already:

I placed a cover on mine - over the vented top - until the warmer weather comes. Gotta keep the caps above 70 degrees, I suppose, until a complete failure.

- Pj
post #5322 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Yeah, it's a cap or caps. I'm going to have to order me some (See www.BadCaps.Net) and see if I can get my DTX9950 working right. (First, a replacement box, though.)

If I recall, the guy over there at the above-mentioned site says it is usually the bigger caps that will fail vs the smaller and tiny ones. Maybe I need to replace the two big ones, and maybe the other 4 smaller ones also, on the PS board.
Look for caps near heat sinks that get a lot of thermal stress. Better yet why not buy an AC adapter "wall wart" for a few bucks, the newer switch mode models are pretty compact. The Zenith and Digital Stream boxes are marked at 7 watts.
post #5323 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

We're set to close on a house in June - built in 1951 and already has an antenna on the roof - I guess it's a chimney mount.

The people who live there now obviously have Dish network, but we wondered what the likelihood is that the existing wiring from an antenna installation is still any good? We intend on bringing our AntennaCraft HBU 33 chain link fence mount on over and swapping it out with the existing antenna......is this a good idea or should we count on having to have a professional installation?
The only way to know for sure is to test it out. Hopefully it's the newer 75-ohm coaxial and not the 300-ohm twin lead wire. If it's the older 300-ohm, then I would re-wire it. You could consider wiring it yourself if you do a bit of research. I was hesitant to do it when I first moved in my house, and I eventually figured it out. Now I'm on the roof all the time making tweaks to the antenna setup. The wiring doesn't have to be perfect, just make sure you ground it though.
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #5324 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, thank you!

I would start by focusing on the two filter capacitors next to the AC input. Warm up those capacitors next time the unit acts up and use an index card as a divider so the capacitors on the other side of the board aren't exposed to the heat. If the unit successfully powers on (on the first attempt), replace the filter capacitors.

BTW: Can you find a brand name on any of the capacitors?

post #5325 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Depending on how long the antenna has been on the roof and it's configuration, you might need to replace the wiring. As Andrew mentioned, replace any twin lead (300 ohm) wire as that will severely degrade reception, especially with digital TV.

If the setup contains coaxial wiring, make sure all of it is rated at RG-6. If exposed to the elements, replace if the coaxial insulation is faded, hard or cracked. I would not reuse the balum on the existing antenna. If replacement is necessary, you can utilize the cable for the satellite dish, but make sure you remove any dish-related splitters as they can degrade reception.

Can you upload any pictures of the current antenna? That might help us determine how old the setup is.
OTA Newbie likes this.

post #5326 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Depending on how long the antenna has been on the roof and it's configuration, you might need to replace the wiring. As Andrew mentioned, replace any twin lead (300 ohm) wire as that will severely degrade reception, especially with digital TV.

If the setup contains coaxial wiring, make sure all of it is rated at RG-6. If exposed to the elements, replace if the coaxial insulation is faded, hard or cracked. I would not reuse the balum on the existing antenna. If replacement is necessary, you can utilize the cable for the satellite dish, but make sure you remove any dish-related splitters as they can degrade reception.

Can you upload any pictures of the current antenna? That might help us determine how old the setup is.
Thank you for the info, and yes, I can take a picture of the antenna and upload it - our inspection is tomorrow at 4pm, so I'll bring my camera along and take pictures of anything that looks pertinent.
post #5327 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
The only way to know for sure is to test it out. Hopefully it's the newer 75-ohm coaxial and not the 300-ohm twin lead wire. If it's the older 300-ohm, then I would re-wire it. You could consider wiring it yourself if you do a bit of research. I was hesitant to do it when I first moved in my house, and I eventually figured it out. Now I'm on the roof all the time making tweaks to the antenna setup. The wiring doesn't have to be perfect, just make sure you ground it though.

Thanks for your input, Andrew! I appreciate it and will research after I find out some more info after our home inspection tomorrow!
post #5328 of 5336 Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

Look for caps near heat sinks that get a lot of thermal stress.

Better yet why not buy an AC adapter "wall wart" for a few bucks.

The newer switch mode models are pretty compact.

The Zenith and Digital Stream boxes are marked at 7 watts.

Well, ET. Thanks for 'chasing' this electronic 'storm' I've been having. Now, why did not Eye thunk about this?
Gee, you're such a 'HAM'.

I'll hafta walk about '2 Meters' to my boxful of AC adapters and see what I can come up with. I still can't believe I didn't think of this.

ET, ain't you the 'Ticket'.

Will any AC Adapter work, say like 5-to-10vdc? I got a bunch of the 'regular', transformer types.

See, I knew when holding onto these it could be 'Handy-Randy' one day.

Does 2-Meter still have Storm Chasing activity these days... 'Copy'?

- Pj
post #5329 of 5336 Old Today, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I know I don't have a need to know but what on earth is 55.3 doing with the aspect ratio?
JJK
post #5330 of 5336 Old Today, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Thanks for your input, Andrew! I appreciate it and will research after I find out some more info after our home inspection tomorrow!
If the previous owners had a satellite dish, then there is a good chance that you already have 75 ohm coaxial cable installed throughout the house. If that's the case, and it's in good condition, then you can just use that for your antenna wiring. That would save you from having to do all the hard work.
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #5331 of 5336 Old Today, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Look for caps near heat sinks that get a lot of thermal stress. Better yet why not buy an AC adapter "wall wart" for a few bucks, the newer switch mode models are pretty compact. The Zenith and Digital Stream boxes are marked at 7 watts.
So remove Power Supply, hardwire to a Female power Jack & mount on back panel. those run @ 9 or 12v, & suggested mA rating?

I guess I can figure that out for myself.. I have collected a whole box of those too.

Oh & covering the vent holes at the top really don't help, thought of putting it near a 40 watt lamp, whats the point, non energy star at that point, I'll just use a hair dryer.

Strange this problem isn't well documented, I have 2 units with this very same issue.
post #5332 of 5336 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, ET. Thanks for 'chasing' this electronic 'storm' I've been having. Now, why did not Eye thunk about this?
Gee, you're such a 'HAM'.

I'll hafta walk about '2 Meters' to my boxful of AC adapters and see what I can come up with. I still can't believe I didn't think of this.

ET, ain't you the 'Ticket'.

Will any AC Adapter work, say like 5-to-10vdc? I got a bunch of the 'regular', transformer types.

See, I knew when holding onto these it could be 'Handy-Randy' one day.

Does 2-Meter still have Storm Chasing activity these days... 'Copy'?
No storm chasing, just turn "secret" PL tone on the repeater during severe WX, & talk about not bringing up the net.

At times the adapters come in handy, loads of them from the "disposable" cordless phones & non-robust electronics they are selling now of days!

My Westinghouse TV has an external PS, nice thing is one less thing inside to go south.

Quote:
Try this: http://www.livesportstreams.tv/en/main

Select Basketball.

I'll be watching either on my AFTV/Kodi box or at my brother's place.
I guess I'll be missing these if they progress, my BluRay does not have a full browser, & the PCs are either antiquated for streaming, slow for the connection or the connection is too slow for pc streaming. I have been able to watch U Toob successfully though via the BluRay Player.

Come to think of It I don't know anywhere I could go to watch these games besides a bar, & I'm not that desperate. There's always 102 Zoo (or is it Magic 102 now?)

Last edited by Bismarck440; Today at 10:05 AM.
post #5333 of 5336 Old Today, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So remove Power Supply, hardwire to a Female power Jack & mount on back panel. those run @ 9 or 12v, & suggested mA rating?

I guess I can figure that out for myself.. I have collected a whole box of those too.

Oh & covering the vent holes at the top really don't help, thought of putting it near a 40 watt lamp, whats the point, non energy star at that point, I'll just use a hair dryer.

Strange this problem isn't well documented, I have 2 units with this very same issue.
I don't think using a DC power adapter in place of the power supply would work since the main board likely requires more then one voltage, or rail, much like a motherboard inside a desktop computer. You would have to use resistors to drop the voltage down to the correct value for each of the rails. Otherwise you can fry the unit and render it inoperable by providing the lower powered rails too much voltage.

My DTT-900 is an April 2008 build, and I haven't had any problems with it powering on. The only problem I have is that the picture on 480i channels shrinks vertically and stretches horizontally if I change the channel too many times. Turning the box off and back on fixes the problem.

post #5334 of 5336 Old Today, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the info, and yes, I can take a picture of the antenna and upload it - our inspection is tomorrow at 4pm, so I'll bring my camera along and take pictures of anything that looks pertinent.
Well, I tried to upload the pictures, but file is too large.

At any rate, the home inspector looked and it looks like everything is hooked up and can be switched from the dish. He said it looked like the antenna was in use fairly recently.
post #5335 of 5336 Old Today, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
How to Fix a Digital Stream DTX9900 HD Converter
http://ejahn.net/Members/eric/storie...verter-dtx9900
http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...a-c338145.html

Last edited by wd8kct; Today at 05:20 PM.
post #5336 of 5336 Unread Today, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Had this happen to me with a power supply for a hard drive enclosure. They used a 10 volt capacitor on the 12 volt rail. Swapped it out with a 16v capacitor and the PS has been fine ever since.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page