Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 179 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 117Likes
post #5341 of 5344 Old Today, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post

I don't think using a DC power adapter in place of the power supply would work since the main board likely requires more then one voltage, or rail, much like a motherboard inside a desktop computer. You would have to use resistors to drop the voltage down to the correct value for each of the rails. Otherwise you can fry the unit and render it inoperable by providing the lower powered rails too much voltage.

Hmm. Gotta simple schematic for that?

I found a pic that matches the inside of my box from another member here. It has 3 wires (Red/Black/Orange) going to the main board. Earlier versions had 5 white wires. One poster on the Web said there were 5 variations of this DigitalStream brand.

I'm still gathering info on the DTX9950 from the InterNet as to what cap or caps it might be. I found some caps from RS that I picked up years ago. I know I can keep or go up in voltage, but what kind of range on the cap value can I use? Let's say it is a 330 uf cap.

See attachment for DTX9950 PS:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DTX9950 [Image From AVS Forum Member 'Ahaning'] [Adjusted Bright and Shadow] 85787 - .jpg
Views:	8
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	688777  

- Pj
Vizio P-Series - 2014 P502ui-B1E (50") TV, Firmware: 1.1.19. Win7 Pro and FireFox 37.0.1, Desktop.
Other Equipment: ClearStream-4 connected to dying DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local CableTV to RF-In - connected to 2nd-time boards-replaced Philips 19PFL3403D (See www.BadCaps.Net - Poorly made caps).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5344 Old Today, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I would start by focusing on the two filter capacitors next to the AC input. Warm up those capacitors next time the unit acts up and use an index card as a divider so the capacitors on the other side of the board aren't exposed to the heat. If the unit successfully powers on (on the first attempt), replace the filter capacitors.

BTW: Can you find a brand name on any of the capacitors?

Next time I get in there, I'll note values and brand.

How about if I tear apart some old wall-warts to find some caps?

- Pj
Vizio P-Series - 2014 P502ui-B1E (50") TV, Firmware: 1.1.19. Win7 Pro and FireFox 37.0.1, Desktop.
Other Equipment: ClearStream-4 connected to dying DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local CableTV to RF-In - connected to 2nd-time boards-replaced Philips 19PFL3403D (See www.BadCaps.Net - Poorly made caps).
post #5343 of 5344 Old Today, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
I don't think using a DC power adapter in place of the power supply would work since the main board likely requires more then one voltage, or rail, much like a motherboard inside a desktop computer. You would have to use resistors to drop the voltage down to the correct value for each of the rails. Otherwise you can fry the unit and render it inoperable by providing the lower powered rails too much voltage..
The PS on the pic looked rather simplistic. Seperate PS board 120in & DC out.. or is that the Digital Stream? I haven't cracked the 901 open yet, if integrated within the main board, you would be correct, that sounds too much like 'work', would be easier to go & get cable like everyone else.

Quote:
My DTT-900 is an April 2008 build, and I haven't had any problems with it powering on. The only problem I have is that the picture on 480i channels shrinks vertically and stretches horizontally if I change the channel too many times. Turning the box off and back on fixes the problem.
You are lucky, I got a couple of lemon boxes then (not all surprising being from LG, I had 5 replacements of their dehumidifier in 5 years, the 6th & final unit went south 2 weeks after the 5 year warranty expired).

The issue with the 901 started in the fall/winter of '08 long after I was able to return it, always thought it was a glitch, & really didn't see clearly untill the following spring/summer the box was back to normal. My complaint to LG fell on deaf ears, then they suggested I take it in for repair to a 'qualified' shop which (we know) would had cost more than I paid for the box.

Edit: Yes, I see what you mean about the distribution cable from the PS to the main board, have to find out where the main supply ends & where the distribution begins.

Last edited by Bismarck440; Today at 09:20 AM.
post #5344 of 5344 Unread Today, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can I ask a question about antenna suggestions for a friend in Denver?

He's finally cutting the cable cord, and whatever antenna he bought doesn't work, according to him. He says he picks up a VHF channel 4, but not well......

Here is the TV Fool report for his address:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f02d0b9dd121

If anyone can suggest a good antenna for his location, I would much appreciate it - I didn't get much help on the Denver OTA forum.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page