Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 184 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 126Likes

post #5491 of 5512 Old 05-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Zeniths & Insignia are twins...

Does it matter which models I'm after? Are the later revisions better?

The Insignia DXA1 vs DXA2 or the Zenith DTT900 vs DTT901?

- Pj
Vizio P-Series - 2014 P502ui-B1E (50") TV with Firmware: 1.1.19. Windows7 Pro and FireFox 37.0.1, Desktop Computer.
ClearStream-4 Antenna, a dying DTX9950 Converter Box (See www.BadCaps.Net and Capacitor Plague - Poorly made caps)
, Philips 3576H DVR, Philips 19PFL3403D TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5512 Old 05-19-2015, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Tripping With Tropo

Let us see if by monitoring Unfiltered, Raw Echo Returns we can spot some Tropo in real-time, especially when there is no rain/showers around a radar site. Look for 'enhanced' returns at sites beyond the 'norm'.

Radars With Unfiltered, Raw Echo Returns to Monitor Some Tropo in Real-time:

Greater Ohio 'False' Radar Echos Mosaic

Greater Ohio 'False' Radar Echos Mosaic - Direct Map Loop

USA 'False' Radar Echos Mosaic

USA 'False' Radar Echos Mosaic - Direct Map Loop Link

"REAL-TIME 144 MHz TROPO PROPAGATION MAPS -

These maps are produced by Jon Harder (NGØE) using amateur radio's
Automatic Packet Reporting System (APRS).

This is an excellent resource for viewing current VHF DX conditions.
While primarily designed to display tropospheric propagation, it will
also show sporadic E activity when the MUF is sufficiently high to
reach the 2 meter amateur band":

http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

From "The Basics of VHF and UHF Signal Propagation"

http://www.dxfm.com/Content/propagation.htm

"Weather Suitable for a Duct:

Tropospheric ducting most often occurs because of a dramatic increase in temperature at higher altitudes. If the temperature inversion layer has a lower humidity than the air below or above it, the refractive index of the layer will be enhanced further. There are several common weather conditions that often bring about strong temperature inversions.

While not usually the cause of strong ducting, radiation inversions can bring about pronounced signal enhancement, extending the DX range up to a few hundred miles. This is probably the the most common and widespread form of inversion a DXer is likely to encounter on a regular basis.

A radiation inversion forms over land after sunset. The Earth cools by radiating heat into space. This is a progressive process where the radiation of surface heat upwards causes further cooling at the Earth's surface as cooler air moves in to replace the upward moving warm air.

At higher altitudes the air tends to cool more slowly, thus setting up the inversion. This process often continues all the way through the night until dawn, sometimes producing inversion layers at 1,000 to 2,000 feet above the ground.

Radiation inversions are most common during the summer months on clear, calm nights. The effect is diminished by blowing winds, cloud cover and wet ground. Radiation inversions are often more pronounced in dry climates, in valleys and over large expanses of flat, open ground.

Another meteorological process called "subsidence" often produces strong ducting conditions and excellent DX. Subsidence is the process of sinking air that becomes compressed and heated as it descends. This process often causes strong temperature inversions to form at altitudes ranging from 1,000 feet to as high as 10,000 feet. Subsidence is commonly produced by large, slow-moving high-pressure zones (anticyclones).

These almost stationary high-pressure zones often form over the eastern half of the United States during the late summer and early fall months.

They usually move out of Canada, traveling toward the southeast. As the high-pressure zone stalls over the Midwest, strong inversions form, bringing outstanding 1,000+ mile DX that can last for days at a time. This condition is most common in the Southeastern states and lower Midwest. It also shows up from time to time in the upper Midwest and East Coast states. It rarely shows up in the Western states."

Tropospheric DX Modes:
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/propagation/tr-modes.htm

[Tropospheric Enhancement (TrE) is what we were seeing lately.]

- Pj
Vizio P-Series - 2014 P502ui-B1E (50") TV with Firmware: 1.1.19. Windows7 Pro and FireFox 37.0.1, Desktop Computer.
ClearStream-4 Antenna, a dying DTX9950 Converter Box (See www.BadCaps.Net and Capacitor Plague - Poorly made caps)
post #5493 of 5512 Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 41
There was some e-skip again today. It was causing the signal bar to fluctuate on channel 2, but I still didn't see it decode this time. It was likely KNOP-DT again.
post #5494 of 5512 Old 05-19-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Does it matter which models I'm after? Are the later revisions better?

The Insignia DXA1 vs DXA2 or the Zenith DTT900 vs DTT901?

For the Zenith, the 901 has the RF passthrough, & came later, I'm not sure about the Insignia, but would likely assume the 2 had the passthrough & the 1 did not. (meaning you could not watch analog TV if hooked up inline via the RF connector to Ch 3 or 4 without the passthrough)

I have the temperature issues in the winter with BOTH of my May 2008 901's The 901's replaced the 900's
post #5495 of 5512 Old 05-20-2015, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
[/FONT]For the Zenith, the 901 has the RF passthrough, & came later, I'm not sure about the Insignia, but would likely assume the 2 had the passthrough & the 1 did not. (meaning you could not watch analog TV if hooked up inline via the RF connector to Ch 3 or 4 without the passthrough)

I have the temperature issues in the winter with BOTH of my May 2008 901's The 901's replaced the 900's
I only own the Insignia NS-DXA1, and I think there may be some slight differences. But I’m not totally sure if it’s because of the different models. Mine has an opaque menu, whereas I’ve noticed pictures from other tuners that have a transparent menu. Here is what I’m talking about…

Transparent… https://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvdxe...in/dateposted/
Opaque… https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179...7650389777003/

And there is no way of adjusting it in the settings.

Bismarck, which type do you have?

Last edited by Andrew K; 05-20-2015 at 05:10 AM.
post #5496 of 5512 Old 05-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This is an excellent resource for viewing current VHF DX conditions.

http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

That is a good source to use in addition to the forecast maps. A lot of times, the live map will confirm what the forecasts predicted, but not always. I woke up one morning and looked up the live map, and it showed a lot of long-distance activity, which proved to be correct when I turned on the TV and checked. The live map monitors 144 Mhz, which generally correlates to UHF and VHF-high TV frequencies.
post #5497 of 5512 Old 05-20-2015, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Is anyone seeing what I'm seeing on GRUNT:

I'm seeing on these B&W Westerns, a shift with Green hue in the B&W image briefly when there are action/movement in scenes.

I'm looking at 'Moodies!' now to see if it is also there and make sure it is not my TV - so far, I do not see it on this channel.

- Pj
post #5498 of 5512 Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I only own the Insignia NS-DXA1, and I think there may be some slight differences. But I’m not totally sure if it’s because of the different models. Mine has an opaque menu, whereas I’ve noticed pictures from other tuners that have a transparent menu. Here is what I’m talking about…

I can't look at your flickr links, but I think it's the semi transparent menu.

I'll take further note today, I look at this nearly every day though. This would just be firmware. The big difference in the 900 & 901 was the Analog passthrough. Today it would not matter much unless you watched or had Analog still in your area.

Is the passthrough on the NS-DXA1?
post #5499 of 5512 Old 05-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is the passthrough on the NS-DXA1?
Yes, I own two of these Insignia units, and it seems that the pass-through doesn't work on either of them. But I never use it anyways.
post #5500 of 5512 Old 05-20-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I own two of these Insignia units, and it seems that the pass-through doesn't work on either of them. But I never use it anyways.
Hmmm OK, so no passthrough on the NS-DXA1

NS-DXA2 appears to be another animal made by an entirely different manufacture.

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/gene...1239871_sa.jpg
post #5501 of 5512 Old 05-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmmm OK, so no passthrough on the NS-DXA1

NS-DXA2 appears to be another animal made by an entirely different manufacture.

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/gene...1239871_sa.jpg
It looks like the NS-DXA2 is exactly the same as the Zinwell ZAT-970A, just a different color.
post #5502 of 5512 Old 05-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm seeing on these B&W Westerns, a shift with Green hue in the B&W image briefly when there are action/movement in scenes.

I'm looking at 'Moodies!' now to see if it is also there and make sure it is not my TV - so far, I do not see it on this channel.
Could be problems with WOIO/WUAB. The Price Is Right was unwatchable today due to audio dropouts, brief interruptions in the feed and digital snow.

Watching a B&W show on Grit right now and I don't notice anything unusual, except for the incorrectly formatted picture.

EDIT: Saw that the image quickly flashed green. Don't know where the problem is originating from.

Newer is not always better.

HDTVs: RCA L37WD12, Vizio E371VL, Samsung UN46H5203
DTV Converter Boxes: Zenith DTT900 & DTT901, Magnavox TB100MW9

Last edited by snowdog 88; 05-20-2015 at 02:29 PM.
post #5503 of 5512 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
It looks like the NS-DXA2 is exactly the same as the Zinwell ZAT-970A, just a different color.
I didn't know that there even WAS a DXA2. I have never seen that box.

I have a DXA1 with analog passthrough. I think they just added that to later DXA1 boxes without changing the model number.
post #5504 of 5512 Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WOIO/WUAB seems to have a lot of problems with their satellite feeds - have seen dropouts many times on MeTV, years ago they had frequent satellite dropout problems on CBS as well, though have not seen much of this lately. Also a few instances when WOIO (at least on RF10) appears to go off the air for a short time (usually from a few seconds up to around a minute).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Could be problems with WOIO/WUAB. The Price Is Right was unwatchable today due to audio dropouts, brief interruptions in the feed and digital snow.

Watching a B&W show on Grit right now and I don't notice anything unusual, except for the incorrectly formatted picture.

EDIT: Saw that the image quickly flashed green. Don't know where the problem is originating from.
post #5505 of 5512 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

That church service currently on W16DO/WAOH... I hope they didn't pay a lot of money to air it. I would be extremely upset over the poor picture quality. (B&W picture with flashing yellow and occasional breakups on top of the already fuzzy analog-ish broadcast).

An unlicensed broadcaster and his home-brewed transmitter can do a better job then WAOH/W16DO.

post #5506 of 5512 Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
WOIO/WUAB seems to have a lot of problems with their satellite feeds - have seen dropouts many times on MeTV, years ago they had frequent satellite dropout problems on CBS as well, though have not seen much of this lately. Also a few instances when WOIO (at least on RF10) appears to go off the air for a short time (usually from a few seconds up to around a minute).
Me-TV used to blackout a lot and would last for a few seconds to a few minutes. (I think it was master control related). I believe I contacted them about it a few times before and they eventually fixed the problem, but lately I've noticed brief freezes every once in a while.

Don't know what's up with WOIO's RF 10 randomly going off the air for a few minutes. It did that a lot last summer and got very annoying quick. It's been fine during winter and spring, but a few weeks ago it went off the air for a few minutes.

post #5507 of 5512 Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not seeing your photos ... but....

My menu is transparent, but all other info boxes, & guide is opaque

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Also a few instances when WOIO (at least on RF10) appears to go off the air for a short time (usually from a few seconds up to around a minute).
Quote:
Don't know what's up with WOIO's RF 10 randomly going off the air for a few minutes. It did that a lot last summer and got very annoying quick. It's been fine during winter and spring, but a few weeks ago it went off the air for a few minutes.
You know what's going on with WOIO & it happens every spring/summer & into the fall, thats CFPL nulling out WOIO was doing that the other day for me, the bad flip side was no extra stations with the tropo either.

The "other board" is Akroncentric too, just why did they need to throw W16DO's signal toward Akron when their parent simulcast station 29 is covering there? (& why is this great for Akron?)

Last edited by Bismarck440; Yesterday at 09:43 AM.
post #5508 of 5512 Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now Now, be careful what you wish for, at least we arent paying a monthly bill for this.

Movies! was showing Walking Tall the other night overnight
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #5509 of 5512 Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You know what's going on with WOIO & it happens every spring/summer & into the fall, thats CFPL nulling out WOIO was doing that the other day for me, the bad flip side was no extra stations with the tropo either.
CFPL wouldn't make the signal strength bar on the Zenith boxes drop down to 0, it would be somewhere between 0 and the halfway point. When WOIO does return, a quick check shows that the signal is at ~90%. When CFPL does interfere with WOIO at my location, the signal strength slowly starts to go down. At that point, CBET/9 is usually receivable, even though my antenna isn't pointed in that direction. If my antenna was pointed towards the north/northeast, then maybe CFPL would overcome WOIO completely.

post #5510 of 5512 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
That church service currently on W16DO/WAOH... I hope they didn't pay a lot of money to air it. I would be extremely upset over the poor picture quality. (B&W picture with flashing yellow and occasional breakups on top of the already fuzzy analog-ish broadcast).

An unlicensed broadcaster and his home-brewed transmitter can do a better job then WAOH/W16DO.
I bet that church has bright white(/yellow?) walls. That drives WAOH's video crazy. It even did that in the analog era of 29/35.

The equipment is likely still the same crap feeding directly into the digital transmitters. Who knew digital TV transmitters had composite video inputs?
post #5511 of 5512 Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
I bet that church has bright white(/yellow?) walls. That drives WAOH's video crazy. It even did that in the analog era of 29/35.

The equipment is likely still the same crap feeding directly into the digital transmitters. Who knew digital TV transmitters had composite video inputs?
I think the church program is recorded on a DVD and played back on Media-Com's consumer grade equipment. I caught the beginning once and saw a DVD recorder-like menu for a few seconds.

With their crappy video/audio, I wonder if Media-Com offers local airtime buyers a huge discount compared to what the other stations offer?

WAOH & W35AX: Now in Digilog! (That's a digital signal with the quality of an analog broadcast!)

post #5512 of 5512 Old Today, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Minor tropo this morning causing WMFD, WCMH and WBNS to briefly come in, with signs of WOSU & WWHO as well. Forecast shows a possible tropo duct for Wednesday morning extending to Oklahoma, but chances are it will disappear by then. That's what usually happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception