Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 147Likes

post #5941 of 5957 Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I don't have mine hooked up at the moment (I use it as a spare/temporary use). Last time I used it was about 3 months ago and the mapping was correct for WBNX. Did you rescan your box? I wonder if the recent upgrades (new encoder?) at WBNX had something to do with the RF channel appearing as the virtual.
I no longer have them, but vthey were part of my "test" in Spring of 2008 I believe both the Magnavox & Philco mapped 55 to 30 (it's native physical channel). That was my thought on actual station improvements, but the LG at the same time was mapping the box to 55, so another encoder miscommunicstion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I remember sneaking an FM radio on a plane many years ago, and once the plane was about 1,000 feet above ground (in Cleveland)........, .
Yeah, I used to take a Walkman on flights without issue, gave me a idea where about I was flying over, though you could pick up stations 3-400 miles apart simultaniously... a fun activity to pass the time on a flight, see how may stations could be logged in. Back in the day when I used to fly & take vacachies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 5957 Old 08-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I no longer have them, but vthey were part of my "test" in Spring of 2008 I believe both the Magnavox & Philco mapped 55 to 30 (it's native physical channel). That was my thought on actual station improvements, but the LG at the same time was mapping the box to 55, so another encoder miscommunicstion.
I just did a rescan on my Magnavox converter box and WBNX still maps to 55, so maybe it was a configuration error that was messing up the "Fungi" boxes. That was apparently fixed a long time ago as I have never had problems with 55 since acquiring the Magnavox box 4-5 years ago. The only time I get RF mapped channels is on my Zenith DTT-900 with WEAO & WCDN when the signal is just below the decoding threshold. Once the signal is strong enough to get the PSIP data, the RF channel is replaced with the virtual channel.

WBNX definitely did do something with their encoder. As I stated before, my RCA L37WD12 no longer has audio decoding issues with WBNX since the aspect ratio on 55.3 was corrected. Now if only WEWS (.1 .2 .3) and WJW (.2) could do the same.

Newer is not always better.
post #5943 of 5957 Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Exclamation Ohio Media Watch

Ohio Media Watch is closing up shop.
http://ohiomediawatch.com/2015/08/24/ten-years-and-out/

post #5944 of 5957 Old 08-26-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just did a rescan on my Magnavox converter box and WBNX still maps to 55, so maybe it was a configuration error that was messing up the "Fungi" boxes. That was apparently fixed a long time ago as I have never had problems with 55 since acquiring the Magnavox box 4-5 years ago. The only time I get RF mapped channels is on my Zenith DTT-900 with WEAO & WCDN when the signal is just below the decoding threshold. Once the signal is strong enough to get the PSIP data, the RF channel is replaced with the virtual channel.
That would be the Black box with the Yellow Standby/Green On LED? I get plenty of the unmapped channels too on low signal level, 17 & 19 .. speaking of which is still off the air for me.
post #5945 of 5957 Old 08-26-2015, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That would be the Black box with the Yellow Standby/Green On LED? I get plenty of the unmapped channels too on low signal level, 17 & 19 .. speaking of which is still off the air for me.
Yes. Model number TB100MW9

The TB110MW9, I believe, is a revised model that doesn't have the yellow standby light or the line ON/OFF switch. I think it also has the analog pass-through feature.

post #5946 of 5957 Old 08-26-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes. Model number TB100MW9

The TB110MW9, I believe, is a revised model that doesn't have the yellow standby light or the line ON/OFF switch. I think it also has the analog pass-through feature.
I must of had the TB100MW9, no on off switch?
post #5947 of 5957 Old 08-27-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
. I receive CJBX 92.7 from London every day here in Akron (not strong, but it's there), yet Cleveland has an Air1 translator on 92.7. And Erie now has a full-power station on 92.7, even though CJBX used to be strong enough within the city of Erie, to basically be local, but it has no protection here on US soil.
That explains why that Air1 signal get beat-up in Parma. So you get that Canadian 92.7 every day?!?
post #5948 of 5957 Old 08-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
Quote:
. I receive CJBX 92.7 from London every day here in Akron (not strong, but it's there), yet Cleveland has an Air1 translator on 92.7. And Erie now has a full-power station on 92.7, even though CJBX used to be strong enough within the city of Erie, to basically be local, but it has no protection here on US soil.
That explains why that Air1 signal get beat-up in Parma. So you get that Canadian 92.7 every day?!?
Yes, every day!! CJBX is weak, but if I tune my car radio to 92.7, I can hear it. I am even listening to it now, and I'm just sitting in a Giant Eagle parking lot in Wadsworth. The 92.7 Air1 translator never makes it down here to Akron, not even one bit of signal!!
post #5949 of 5957 Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

The digital static on 19 is getting worse. This is week 3 and it still hasn't been fixed. The strange thing is that anything local on 19 (news, commercials, etc.) is free of static. Is this a problem with WOIO or CBS?

post #5950 of 5957 Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
What is this Air1 thing... a pay service? I really no longer scan aside of my presets anymore.

Quote:
The digital static on 19 is getting worse. This is week 3 and it still hasn't been fixed. The strange thing is that anything local on 19 (news, commercials, etc.) is free of static. Is this a problem with WOIO or CBS?
This is week 3 (or longer) of no 19, so they are still on the air then?
post #5951 of 5957 Old 08-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What is this Air1 thing... a pay service? I really no longer scan aside of my presets anymore.

This is week 3 (or longer) of no 19, so they are still on the air then?
Air1 is a contemporary Christian music station which has signals all over northeast Ohio (and the country). The company which owns Air1 also owns K-Love stations, which also can be heard in northeast Ohio on various frequencies.

Yes, WOIO is still on-the-air. Both RF 10 and 24 are as strong as ever here in Akron (where all the signals lead to). Maybe you should either move to Akron, or pay for cable .

By the way, here is a link to what my tuner is currently receiving... http://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?r...1038781D&tno=0

Whenever you have issues with a channel, check to see if I'm receiving it at the link!! Look at the far-right column... if there is a number, then a signal has decoded. As I write this, the antenna is aimed northwest. If I aim east to southeast, I can add WFMJ, WYTV, WAOH and WIVM. WKBN and WNEO are typically strong enough that I don't have to aim at them to receive them.

WOIO on RF 10 usually only shows the signal strength and signal-to-noise ratio on the right, no call letters are displayed for RF 10 because I can get RF 24 simultaneously, and the PSIP is identical. As you can see, the signal strength for RF 24 is within "blowtorch" strength... 100%, with a 90% signal-to-noise ratio (signal quality), with antenna aimed away from the tower.

Last edited by Andrew K; 08-28-2015 at 12:17 PM.
post #5952 of 5957 Old 08-28-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Air1 is a contemporary Christian music station which has signals all over northeast Ohio (and the country). The company which owns Air1 also owns K-Love stations, which also can be heard in northeast Ohio on various frequencies.

Yes, WOIO is still on-the-air. Both RF 10 and 24 are as strong as ever here in Akron (where all the signals lead to). Maybe you should either move to Akron, or pay for cable .

Heck with cable (you sound like my HOA!) , I want to let WOIO know of their sloppy transmissions (or my reception which isn't limited to myself), I have to explain this to my dad every so often he calls & says no 19.

Air1... probably not in Lake County, remember we are nuthin but a bunch of heathens up here!

We really don't have any religous channels avail except for 55.2.
post #5953 of 5957 Old 08-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

I decided to park my car in the Chapel Hill Mall parking lot and see if there was any tropospheric ducting going on, and sure enough I picked up KWWR 95.7 from Mexico Missouri!! That's 580 miles to the transmitter!! That wasn't e-skip, that was just plain-old tropo .

Video here...
post #5954 of 5957 Old 08-28-2015, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As a general rule, Air1 and K-LOVE both tend to run on lower power stations in the non-commercial band. Since the religious stations in my neck of the woods tend to be Moody, Air1 and K-LOVE are a sure sign of DX coming in, usually weak tropo.
post #5955 of 5957 Old 08-29-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc9hzn View Post
As a general rule, Air1 and K-LOVE both tend to run on lower power stations in the non-commercial band. Since the religious stations in my neck of the woods tend to be Moody, Air1 and K-LOVE are a sure sign of DX coming in, usually weak tropo.
They can be confused as being "DX" simply by being repeaters of 2 California stations with repeaters all over the country. Here in Ohio they have "anchor" full power stations that technically are the stations being repeated. One is at 90.9 in Jefferson, OH, the other is the HD2 signal of WKDD.

73's
post #5956 of 5957 Old 08-31-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, every day!! CJBX is weak, but if I tune my car radio to 92.7, I can hear it. I am even listening to it now, and I'm just sitting in a Giant Eagle parking lot in Wadsworth. The 92.7 Air1 translator never makes it down here to Akron, not even one bit of signal!!
I did a check of 92.7 coming home overnight in Willoughby, sounded like pop/folk music & certainly not Christian.

Strange looking radio in your car Andrew, I hope you don't take vids while driving!

No 19 WOIO all weekend... thinking of hiding it, becoming annoying being no signal ALL the time now.,
post #5957 of 5957 Old Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did a check of 92.7 coming home overnight in Willoughby, sounded like pop/folk music & certainly not Christian.
"Contemporary" Christian music is pop/folk and even rock (Air 1 skews to a younger audience than K Love). If you are looking for organs and quartets singing in harmony you won't find them on Air 1 or K Love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception