26Likes

post #631 of 4537 Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannykewl View Post

Also getting channel 40 analog from somewhere, showing "Wheel of Fortune". It's now about 7:20pm.

Probably CBLN London, ON. That comes in many nights in the summer. Not sure if they show "Wheel", as they are CBC. I do think they show "Jeopardy".

Quote:

I scanned twice for the tuner to pick up any new stations, just channel 2 and 40 keep coming up. I tried manually for DTV 4, 7, 9, 11, and 13 (Detroit and Toledo) with no luck.

Sunday night, 21 and 33 from Fort Wayne were coming in for a little while. Detroit CH 2, plus 11 and 13 from Toledo were solid for a good part of the weekend. Also very briefly got 44 from Lima and very, very briefly PBS 27 from Bowling Green and PBS 30 from Toledo Sunday night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4537 Old 09-11-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post

Probably CBLN London, ON. That comes in many nights in the summer. Not sure if they show "Wheel", as they are CBC. I do think they show "Jeopardy".

CBC does air "Wheel", though I believe it is at 5:30 PM, not 7. CBLN/40 does a decent job of making it across the lake for those right on the lake, at any rate.

CBC has the national rights to both "Wheel" and "Jeopardy", but those sbows do not air on CBET/9 Windsor for obvious reasons having to do with Windsor's proximity to a top 10 American market.
post #633 of 4537 Old 09-11-2009, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Then I got a channel 40 analog from elsewhere. I didn't ID the station. They were definitely showing "Wheel" as someone was actually spinning the wheel when I caught the skip about 7:10 pm. I should have DVR'ed it, the channel was pretty snowy. If they had a logo in the corner, probably lost in the snow. Only channel I DVR'ed was 2.1 from Detroit for a few moments to get ther station logo.
post #634 of 4537 Old 09-11-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Has anyone else with D* noticed audio "brrripping" on WVIZ HD ? I don't notice it OTA.

I'm having this problem at two different D* installations, so I don't think it's my equipment.
post #635 of 4537 Old 09-12-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetaprime View Post

Unfortunately that also means having to fiddle with the damn rabbit ears all the time when changing channels. Just like the 'good old days' when I used to watch those first-run episodes of I Love Lucy on the Admiral 13" 'pumpkin screen' TV. I hate that Dish didn't see it fit to provide all the local stations in their local package. I didn't realize until after signing up and trying out the new equipment that I was going to have to go back the the 1950's for some of my channels (though I admit that the HD reception once they're lined up sure beats anything possible in 1955.)

What local station is Dish not carrying? If you mean "in HD" you have a point, however I'm a Dish sub and get almost every Cleveland DMA station in SD. they even carry WMFD from Mansfield and WRLM from Canton. The only stations they do not carry are the TBN stations, but the national feed of TBN is carried.
post #636 of 4537 Old 09-12-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then I got a channel 40 analog from elsewhere. I didn't ID the station. They were definitely showing "Wheel" as someone was actually spinning the wheel when I caught the skip about 7:10 pm. I should have DVR'ed it, the channel was pretty snowy. If they had a logo in the corner, probably lost in the snow. Only channel I DVR'ed was 2.1 from Detroit for a few moments to get ther station logo.

Ch 40 is the CBC transmitter in London, Ontario. I get it and several other Canadian signals in analog on a semi regular basis. "Wheel" is about the only program that is also carried on a U.S. station on a CBC station. Virtually everything else is unique original programming. There is a CBC bug to help you identify the signal. http://www.cbc.ca/includes/globalnav/v07b/gfx/logo.gif

BTW: If you watch Canadian signals be careful if you have kids around. They allow stuff to be broadcast up there that would only be seen or heard on HBO if you know what I mean. I caught the "F-bomb" unbleeped on CHCH ch 51 the other day, followed by two teen boys being picked up by a gay guy in an Edsel
post #637 of 4537 Old 09-12-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post

Has anyone else with D* noticed audio "brrripping" on WVIZ HD ? I don't notice it OTA.

Is Direct TV carrying WVIZ-DT? I thought they only carried a zoomed in version in SD just like Dish Network. If you are watching WVIZ in true HD then that is an OTA signal and not from the satellite.

I do get audio "brrripping" on the satellite-delivered HD locals (the "big 4" stations) on E* from time to time, but never on WVIZ.
post #638 of 4537 Old 09-12-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

Ch 40 is the CBC transmitter in London, Ontario. I get it and several other Canadian signals in analog on a semi regular basis. "Wheel" is about the only program that is also carried on a U.S. station on a CBC station.

CBLN could well carry "Wheel" at 7. I was just going by some Google searching that found stories saying it was going to be on at 5:30. I don't know a reliable way to get Canadian local TV listings online....

I find it hard to believe 40 could be anything else, especially given the lack of U.S. full-power analogs after 6/12. And CBLN certainly puts out a strong enough signal to be carried further into Ohio with the atmosphere.
post #639 of 4537 Old 09-12-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

These CBC TV web pages would seem to confirm that they do show "Wheel" at 7 PM:

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/progr..._of_fortune_hd

Quote:

Wheel of Fortune (HD) regularly airs on:
CBC Television
Day Time
Monday 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Tuesday 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Wednesday 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Thursday 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Friday 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/weekl...bc_television/

So I'd mark that down as CBLN, dannykewl.
post #640 of 4537 Old 09-12-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Is Direct TV carrying WVIZ-DT? I thought they only carried a zoomed in version in SD just like Dish Network. If you are watching WVIZ in true HD then that is an OTA signal and not from the satellite.

I do get audio "brrripping" on the satellite-delivered HD locals (the "big 4" stations) on E* from time to time, but never on WVIZ.

Yes, Directv does carry WVIZ-DT as part of the Cleveland HD locals group. I think it probably is an OTA pickup, not a direct link, to their uplink site as it seems to show the bit starving caused by too many subchannels but it is WVIZ-DT. Please correct me if I'm wrong about the uplink method.

The digital audio "brrripping" you refer to seems to be an occasional problem on several channels according to comments in the various discussion groups.
post #641 of 4537 Old 09-12-2009, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

CBC does air "Wheel", though I believe it is at 5:30 PM, not 7. CBLN/40 does a decent job of making it across the lake for those right on the lake, at any rate.

CBC has the national rights to both "Wheel" and "Jeopardy", but those sbows do not air on CBET/9 Windsor for obvious reasons having to do with Windsor's proximity to a top 10 American market.

I believe it is proximity to any american market.

FWIW, Detroit is no longer a top ten market, I believe it is currently twelth, and expected to fall to the thirties in the next ten years.
post #642 of 4537 Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post

I believe it is proximity to any american market.

CBET, I believe, is the only station so affected...it's basically "in" the Detroit market, and is widely available both over air and on cable in Detroit.

Other markets with some border issues aren't affected. i.e. Toronto/Buffalo, where CBLT carries "Wheel" and "Jeopardy" and is also carried on the Time Warner Cable systems in Buffalo...on a relatively low analog position, no less (teens).

CBUT is carried on cable in large chunks of Washington State, and the same applies.

Nope, it's the fact that Detroit and Windsor are basically considered "one market" for TV rights issues. It's one reason CTV doesn't have a full-blown, full-power signal in Windsor. Even "A Channel" in Windsor today uses a low-powered repeater that barely makes it across the Detroit River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post

FWIW, Detroit is no longer a top ten market, I believe it is currently twelth, and expected to fall to the thirties in the next ten years.

Which would put the Cleveland market, now 18th TV wise, in the fifties or something...
post #643 of 4537 Old 09-14-2009, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Ooooh no are we bringing pay TV over here now?!

BTW I'd still like to here more about these FTA Sat setups.
post #644 of 4537 Old 09-14-2009, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 25
What's going on with the Cleveland stations Sunday evening & still going on, losing Channel 8 & unbelieveably 5 & 61 are pixilating to complete loss... & I've NEVER had a problem with 5 or 61! The only station coming in without any problems this evening is WKYC.
post #645 of 4537 Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Everything OK on this end Sunday.
JJK
post #646 of 4537 Old 09-14-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Ooooh no are we bringing pay TV over here now?!

Unfortunately since the Cleveland TWC group decided to split off (or should I say hijack the original Cleveland thread), there's no place else for D*, E*, Uverse, or WOW customers to go to discuss local issues.
post #647 of 4537 Old 09-14-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

A programming comment.....It appears that Western Reserve PBS's 45.2/49.2 subchannel has relegated the Classic Arts Showcase programming to a 11 PM-9 AM block. Their schedule seems to now show a lot of "Ohio Channel" shows during the day and no noticeable musical arts during primetime. Also, what happened to their local arts programming that was to begin August 1st? IMO, the "Ohio Channel" programming is unnecessary as it is already carried full time by WVIZ-DT, the other PBS outlet in the area.
post #648 of 4537 Old 09-14-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Is WVIZ available in Youngstown?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #649 of 4537 Old 09-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Is WVIZ available in Youngstown?

- Trip

No. I was about to post about that. Best shot we have is 45 down here OTA. So while it may be redundant for those of you who can receive WVIZ, WNEO, and WEAO, keep in mind they all have different broadcast footprints and different targets.

post #650 of 4537 Old 09-14-2009, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vchat20 View Post

No. I was about to post about that. Best shot we have is 45 down here OTA. So while it may be redundant for those of you who can receive WVIZ, WNEO, and WEAO, keep in mind they all have different broadcast footprints and different targets.

Actually, with the right setup, WVIZ is available in the Youngstown area. I receive it 24/7 here in Salem. A friend of mine that lives on the west side of Youngstown also receives WVIZ.
post #651 of 4537 Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vchat20 View Post

This is apparently what Western Reserve PBS also believes as included in these comments I received from one of their spokespersons today: (quote)

"The Classic Arts Showcase that had been airing 24/7 is a "pass through" service — one that we just broadcast. We have nothing to do with the content. It is also an 8-hour broadcast that is repeated three times each day for 7 straight days. New content is only added once a week. Because our programmer knew not everyone would be able to watch it all night, it has been broken into 2-hour segments, with a new block starting each night. New content starts at 11 pm Friday night. If you are able to record from 11 pm to 1 am each night, you will be able to watch all the content, plus some repeats, that you would have been able to watch during the day.

The Fusion Channel (.2) is an outlet for regional programming — programming created by Western Reserve Public Media and other regional producers.

While some of Western Reserve PBS's broadcast area is duplicated by WVIZ, not all of it is and it was felt that it was important that all of our broadcast area should be able to watch what is happening in the Ohio State House, Ohio Supreme Court and other important areas of Ohio government." (end quote)

I was assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that WVIZ was widely received in most of the areas that Western Reserve PBS covers. I get good reception from both of those PBS outlets and also WOUC-DT PBS from Cambridge but I have to admit that my reception setup is probably not that of an average viewer.
post #652 of 4537 Old 09-15-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

WVIZ's "target" is the Cleveland DMA. That is why they have repeaters in Thompson (erroneously licensed to Eastlake) and Conneaut.

Western Reserve PBS, OTOH targets both the Cleveland and Youngstown DMA's with a repeater in Youngstown and 2 full-power signals (ironically both COL's are in the Cleveland DMA, but the Alliance signal is actually in Salem which is in the Youngstown DMA).

I wonder how well any PBS signal is received in the Mansfield/Ashland area of the Cleveland DMA?
post #653 of 4537 Old 09-15-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mansfield has a translator for WOSU that's supposed to be going digital "soon."

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #654 of 4537 Old 09-15-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Western Reserve PBS, OTOH targets both the Cleveland and Youngstown DMA's with a repeater in Youngstown and 2 full-power signals (ironically both COL's are in the Cleveland DMA, but the Alliance signal is actually in Salem which is in the Youngstown DMA).

If you really want to get technical about it, a very, very small sliver in Alliance is actually in Mahoning County. Like, maybe three or four streets. It's like part of Mogadore is in Portage County.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance,_Ohio

There's also the translator WRPBS has up on the WFMJ/21 tower in Y-town itself. The analog one on 58 crapped out before the transition...I guess they're close to bringing digital 44 on the air from the same antenna. Supposedly this month, sometime.
post #655 of 4537 Old 09-17-2009, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
noticed WVPX's subchannel numbers increased by 2 last night... so the multiplex started at 23-3 and ended at 23-6... seems back to normal this morning... -Ed
post #656 of 4537 Old 09-17-2009, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
45-4 / 49-4 now lit up... V Me
post #657 of 4537 Old 09-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unfortunately the entire programming on 49.4 is in Spanish.
post #658 of 4537 Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post

45-4 / 49-4 now lit up... V Me

I hope that's all the subchannels they're going to try to squeeze into their bandwidth. Their HD programming is just barely that now, looking soft, grainy and blotchy due to compression artifacts.
post #659 of 4537 Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is there really enough of a Spanish audience in the area to support V-Me? Or even Univision on WQHS?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #660 of 4537 Old 09-17-2009, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Is there really enough of a Spanish audience in the area to support V-Me? Or even Univision on WQHS?

- Trip

I have wondered that myself. I know there are significant numbers of Spanish speaking folk in northern Ohio but enough to support full-time Spanish language broadcasters?....I'm not sure. I also know that many of the Spanish speakers I have come in contact around the Akron/Canton general area are part of a seasonal, transitory population that is here for agricultural employment only during the spring and summer months.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page