Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 243 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 264Likes

post #7261 of 7273 Old 07-26-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I decided to check my semi-local KHME again this evening. Here is the Andy Griffith Show in black-and-white (see attachments for possible green tint).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KHME 2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	1566577   Click image for larger version

Name:	KHME Rapid City.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	1566585  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 7273 Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I decided to check my semi-local KHME again this evening. Here is the Andy Griffith Show in black-and-white (see attachments for possible green tint).
If you were seeing a green tint on KHME, it would happen during camera pans and scenes with a lot of movement. If it was constant, then KHME has something configured incorrectly or there's an issue on your end.

I see their COL watermark ran away also. (Present on your green-tinted picture). Must be an issue happening with certain affiliates.

Newer is not always better.
post #7263 of 7273 Old 07-27-2016, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
That reminds me of the colorizing filters used on many video editing softwares and pluggins because it is actually too nicely done and very effective.
JJK
post #7264 of 7273 Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nope, OTA. Maybe it was reception, some strong Tropo on RF30 affecting it. That would be unusual for WBNX as this is one of my strongest signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I watched Star Trek TOS on Sunday and didn't see any glitching/breakups. Are you watching 55.4 via cable? Perhaps your provider is to blame.
post #7265 of 7273 Old 07-27-2016, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know why Cleveland 19 News broadcasts at 7 AM on both 43.1 & 43.2 at the same time? What's the purpose of running the same newscast on two channels on the same station?

post #7266 of 7273 Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Dunno, Because 19's signal is nulled to the northeast?

I wouldn't think too hard on this one, perhaps they have more insight on the "Other Board"?

Night before last I was getting strong blips on both RF 25 & 35 not much else weak blips on 11 but none on 13... strange combo.

Sent from a desktop PC with Windows 7

You may like...... Ad Choices!

For the best viewing experience... upgrade...... Google Chrome
post #7267 of 7273 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm done with Westerns on YouTeeVee for now, as the B&W GunSmack episodes have cycled into repeat mode for me.

I'm not done with YouTeeVee just yet, as I'll probably setup to watch Perry Freemason. Not my type of show, but after checking it for Greenies, I'll check into some more episodes.

I did check out some other B&W programs on YouTeeVee, such as Batty Duck, Donald Weed, and The TribeLite Groan. 'Batty' and 'Groan' were a little less on the Greenies. I'll check out Andee Tailor later tonight or tomorrow and some other stuff over the weekend, including a scheduled B&W movie... but I guess it'll all be the same.

Otherwise, it is onto GruntTV now for some Western series.

Shall we (or me) file a complaint with the FCC with this ongoing mess with MeTV? They'd never let this or any other technical problem go on and on with any of the 'main' channels, yes/no? Personally, I'm disgusted how these poor, compressed and ugly performing sub-channels were allowed to begin with.

Example: The Public Brainwashing System (AKA PBS) sub-channel, Create. One of the ugliest, super-compressed channels out there. I watched it a few times years ago and have not seen it since. Picture is ok, as long as nothing is moving.

ATSC 3.0 will rid of this all, yes?

- Pj

My 'Review/Comments' and Settings for the 2016 Vizio P50-C1.
Vertical Scope Data Breach Message (This Website and other Vertical Scope Websites). Vertical Scope Forum Thread.
post #7268 of 7273 Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
I'm done with Westerns on YouTeeVee for now, as the B&W GunSmack episodes have cycled into repeat mode for me.

I'm not done with YouTeeVee just yet, as I'll probably setup to watch Perry Freemason. Not my type of show, but after checking it for Greenies, I'll check into some more episodes.

I did check out some other B&W programs on YouTeeVee, such as Batty Duck, Donald Weed, and The TribeLite Groan. 'Batty' and 'Groan' were a little less on the Greenies. I'll check out Andee Tailor later tonight or tomorrow and some other stuff over the weekend, including a scheduled B&W movie... but I guess it'll all be the same.

Otherwise, it is onto GruntTV now for some Western series.

Shall we (or me) file a complaint with the FCC with this ongoing mess with MeTV? They'd never let this or any other technical problem go on and on with any of the 'main' channels, yes/no? Personally, I'm disgusted how these poor, compressed and ugly performing sub-channels were allowed to begin with.

Example: The Public Brainwashing System (AKA PBS) sub-channel, Create. One of the ugliest, super-compressed channels out there. I watched it a few times years ago and have not seen it since. Picture is ok, as long as nothing is moving.

ATSC 3.0 will rid of this all, yes?
Batty Duck = Patty Duke
Donald Weed = Donna Reed
The TribeLite Groan
= The Twilight Zone

You do know that 43.3/Grunt also suffers from the greenies.

Filing a complaint against the network won't do anything. Me-TV on WTOL 11.2 doesn't suffer from the greenies, so the problem is originating from WOIO. You can contact them and tell them about the green tint, but you're likely going to get a response like "We're aware of the problem but currently don't know why it's happening. Sorry for the inconvenience." Apparently this problem is out of the station's control as I've also contacted WJW about the green tint on 8.2. They never did anything about it either, nor did I ever get a reply back from the station saying that they would look into the problem or if they did anything to fix it. (Eventually I contacted Antenna TV about it. At least they replied back and forward my emails to WJW). Not saying that this is the problem, but the green tint maybe the result of failing capacitors in the encoder, and replacing the encoder for each channel probably cost thousands of dollars. After all, what country do you think the encoders are manufactured in?

I realize problems like the green tint can be upsetting to some viewers, but I believe stations need to be a bit more professional and better manage their channels. It seems like a lot of stations aren't aware of a problem until a viewer notifies them about it. Perhaps this is how a station predicts how many viewers are watching that particular channel. A glitch here or there is one thing, but when it happens all day, every day, that's unacceptable.

And yes, there are likely newer, better encoders being used that minimize compression artifacts and other imperfections. These encoders make it possible for stations to broadcast two 1080i channels or one 1080i and 3 480i channels with less artifacts. WVIZ is likely using encoders from when they were a 1 kW broadcast from their former Parma studios. They are likely holding on to that pledge money when the time comes to buy an ATSC 3.0 encoder. If they upgraded to a newer ATSC 1.0 encoder now, their picture quality would likely be on par with WBNX. And speaking of horrible compression, WEKA's channels all look like a web stream on a 56K modem. With 6 channels all at 480i, the PQ should be equivalent to WDLI's channels. It looks like WEKA is giving each of their channels .5 MBs of bandwidth.

post #7269 of 7273 Old Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Was WJW 8 running on reduced power overnight?

Quote:
Batty Duck = Patty Duke
Donald Weed = Donna Reed
The TribeLite Groan = The Twilight Zone

You do know that 43.3/Grunt also suffers from the greenies.

Please, not you too.

Quote:
Filing a complaint against the network won't do anything. Me-TV on WTOL 11.2 doesn't suffer from the greenies, so the problem is originating from WOIO. You can contact them and tell them about the green tint, but you're likely going to get a response like "We're aware of the problem but currently don't know why it's happening. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Yeah, I guess it just would simplify things if these stations just turned off their subs, rather than showing in less than perfect PQ then.... Let's just sick the FCC on them (like they don't have enough to do already.. ie: their selection for sticking WOIO on RF 10).

Sent from a desktop PC with Windows 7

You may like...... More Ads!

For the best viewing experience... please upgrade...... Google Chrome
post #7270 of 7273 Old Today, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Batty Duck
= Patty Duke
Donald Weed = Donna Reed
The TribeLite Groan
= The Twilight Zone

A+ for SnowDawg!

Quote:

You do know that 43.3/Grunt also suffers from the Greenies.

Wow. Greenies everywhere. I'll just turn the color off or switch to my Sepia mode.

Quote:

Filing a complaint against the network won't do anything.

Me-TV on WTOL 11.2 doesn't suffer from the Greenies, so the problem is originating from WOIO.

Yes, I was directing my complaint at WOIO, though I'd think MeTV should be concerned enough with their viewership.

Did MeTV or WOIO or both pay for the encoder box? How about we contact the sponsors and boycott their products or services? I'll write to MeTV and let 'em know.

Quote:

Apparently this problem is out of the station's control...

Ah, no... it's in their control to fix it... but they're not doing anything about it from what I can tell.

Quote:
Quote:
It seems like a lot of stations aren't aware of a problem until a viewer notifies them about it.

And that's how any station is poorly run with a piss-ass attitude that the viewers have to tell them there's an ongoing problem. There were no crawlers from MeTV or WOIO (or the other stations/networks?) about this problem which told me nothing in a hurry was going get done... and here we are today... months later... and this Green-Crap is still going with no end in sight.

WVIZ's Create - What bandwidth rate is this?

A rain blob has sloooooooooooooooowly made its way close to southeastern Medina County. Not raining here yet, but a cool outflow has invaded the area. This summer/heat pattern better change, for this part of Ohio is in a Moderate Drought. Oh, a 'La Nina Watch' has been issued. Hmm. Maybe a colder winter for Ohio?

- Pj

My 'Review/Comments' and Settings for the 2016 Vizio P50-C1.
Vertical Scope Data Breach Message (This Website and other Vertical Scope Websites). Vertical Scope Forum Thread.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; Today at 12:51 PM.
post #7271 of 7273 Old Today, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did MeTV or WOIO or both pay for the encoder box? How about we contact the sponsors and boycott their products or services? I'll write to MeTV and let 'em know.
AFAIK, it's likely the same encoder used prior to the Me-TV affiliation, back when 19.2 was a 24/7 Weather Channel. (Weather Now). The station has mentioned that they switch encoders if a problem occurs, so that tells me that they have a spare laying around as a backup or for a future subchannel. (Likely the same brand/model).

post #7272 of 7273 Old Today, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I was directing my complaint at WOIO, though I'd think MeTV should be concerned enough with their viewership.

And that's how any station is poorly run with a piss-ass attitude that the viewers have to tell them there's an ongoing problem. There were no crawlers from MeTV or WOIO (or the other stations/networks?)

& better yet you can just boycott the sponors too....

At least I heard from the Engineers from WOIO, although not too much concern to their viewers up here only 28 miles from the transmitter, they jusat told me I'd need to be paitent & wait for ATSC3.
post #7273 of 7273 Old Today, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Nova Scotia was strong on the analog low-VHF channels this afternoon. Local-quality video and audio was received on channel 4 with the Ellen Show airing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception