Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 272Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #7351 of 7365 Unread 08-25-2016, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
Very true. I haven't bothered even having an am/fm antenna in my home for many years. Local radio is absolute crap. DJ’s ramble on (cuz they think they are talented and funny but are not), too many commercials, playlists are repetitive, etc…

In my car I seldom listen to any broadcast radio. I drive a lot for business. During business hours I’m usually on the phone anyway, non-business hours I might listen to NPR or WTAM depending on the topic. Often I just BlueTooth my own music collection.

For home I stream many online stations, completely free. I have no subscription service at all (like Pandora or Spotify). One device I have streams internet radio 24/7/365. I primarily use two free services, both are “aggregators” of many online stations. ShoutCast and Radionomy. These offer many thousands of stations in every imaginable genre from all over the globe, mostly DJ and ad free, those with DJ’s and ads are far less frequent and intrusive than broadcast radio. Most of these offered stations are NOT re-broadcasts of terrestrial radio stations (which is the primary focus of iHeartRadio and TuneIn which are simply aggregators of terrestrial radio).

Sound quality on ShoutCast and Radionomy is good. Radinomy is all 128k (I think). ShoutCast is anywhere from 32k to 320k. But ShoutCast offers a “bitrate limiter” where you can set a minimum bitrate so any station offering less than your limit (minimum) is not shown in the menus and searches. Mine is set to 192k and still offers dozens of stations in any genre I’ve searched on.

One great online independent station is Radio Paradise. No ads, listener supported (but not required), excellent audio quality, extremely diverse playlist from Bach to Bachman Turner Overdrive and everything in between, DJ’s are excellent and rarely heard from.
I would like to know the bitrates of 98.5HD, 105.7HD, and 107.3HD. I believe 107.3 is greater than the other two.
JJK
JJkizak is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7352 of 7365 Unread 08-25-2016, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
toby10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I would like to know the bitrates of 98.5HD, 105.7HD, and 107.3HD. I believe 107.3 is greater than the other two.
JJK
You'll have to try each and see. Often the station will offer several bitrates so you can choose which is better for your needs. If streaming to small ear buds and/or have a limited data plan then you can choose the lower bitrates (typically 64k). If you are streaming to a full stereo system you would generally want the higher bitrates (say 192k to 320k) as such a more robust setup would reveal compression and digital artifacts of the lower bitrate streams.

Try just searching for those stations on iHeartRadio.com or TuneIn.com as they usually display the offered bitrate and formats available (at least from their service). Bitrate alone is not the all deciding factor in audio quality but it is a generally good indicator. The format is important as well. Example a 64k AAC format will sound (aprox) equal to a 128k MP3 format, etc...

Also try emailing the stations of interest and ask for a "direct stream URL" which is a standard URL that any device can play without having to be on the stations web site. Often these are unpublished higher bitrate URL's but are available upon request. But then just as often these are not even an offered option from a station (or they don't understand what you are asking for).
toby10 is offline  
post #7353 of 7365 Unread 08-25-2016, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
You'll have to try each and see. Often the station will offer several bitrates so you can choose which is better for your needs. If streaming to small ear buds and/or have a limited data plan then you can choose the lower bitrates (typically 64k). If you are streaming to a full stereo system you would generally want the higher bitrates (say 192k to 320k) as such a more robust setup would reveal compression and digital artifacts of the lower bitrate streams.

Try just searching for those stations on iHeartRadio.com or TuneIn.com as they usually display the offered bitrate and formats available (at least from their service). Bitrate alone is not the all deciding factor in audio quality but it is a generally good indicator. The format is important as well. Example a 64k AAC format will sound (aprox) equal to a 128k MP3 format, etc...

Also try emailing the stations of interest and ask for a "direct stream URL" which is a standard URL that any device can play without having to be on the stations web site. Often these are unpublished higher bitrate URL's but are available upon request. But then just as often these are not even an offered option from a station (or they don't understand what you are asking for).




I'm running Klipsch corner horns with Denon X-4000 and they do reveal a lot of stuff.
JJK
JJkizak is online now  
post #7354 of 7365 Unread 08-25-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
toby10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I'm running Klipsch corner horns with Denon X-4000 and they do reveal a lot of stuff.
JJK
Indeed. Same here with a Yamaha to Paradigm Studio's. At the 192k+ level you are basically at FM quality as far as the human ear is concerned. If you like WDOK's offerings I'd seriously look into ShoutCast genres for easy listening/lite rock at 192k+. Once you get spoiled with few or no commercials and a wider/diverse playlist you'll *cringe* every time you have to listen to broadcast radio in your car.
toby10 is offline  
post #7355 of 7365 Unread 08-25-2016, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
Indeed. Same here with a Yamaha to Paradigm Studio's. At the 192k+ level you are basically at FM quality as far as the human ear is concerned. If you like WDOK's offerings I'd seriously look into ShoutCast genres for easy listening/lite rock at 192k+. Once you get spoiled with few or no commercials and a wider/diverse playlist you'll *cringe* every time you have to listen to broadcast radio in your car.


I will give them a shot. The first things I notice are the "breathy consonants" of shouting and multiple voices while other tracks are pristine. The Eagles, Heart, Joe Walsh, BG's, (just a few named) never have any problems. It seems the more compression and voice manipulation that is employed the more bitrate you need. One of the worst is the Beatles revolution guitar which sounds at times like a buzzsaw but not all the time.
JJK
JJkizak is online now  
post #7356 of 7365 Unread 08-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I would like to know the bitrates of 98.5HD, 105.7HD, and 107.3HD. I believe 107.3 is greater than the other two.
JJK
To me, HD-1 broadcasts sound like 96kbps MP3's and HD-2, 3, etc. broadcasts sound like 64kbps MP3's.

Sirrus XM sounds HORRIBLE for what you pay for. It's like a 48-56kbps web stream on dial-up. (I know, people meter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
If you like WDOK's offerings I'd seriously look into ShoutCast genres for easy listening/lite rock at 192k+.
You mean, what WDOK used to offer. (They're not soft rock anymore!)

I'll take a look into that, but I'm likely going be disappointed. Most of these custom radio services play "filler" or "B-side" songs that were never hits.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #7357 of 7365 Unread 08-26-2016, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
toby10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
You mean, what WDOK used to offer. (They're not soft rock anymore!)

I'll take a look into that, but I'm likely going be disappointed. Most of these custom radio services play "filler" or "B-side" songs that were never hits.
Shows you how little I use local radio. I don't even know their genre format anymore.

Many ShoutCast stations are dedicated exclusively to "hits". Just search "80's hits" (or whatever era you are interested in). Many cover multiple era's like 60's & 70's & 80's on one station, etc...

Other services with multiple streams/genres/era's to check out:
1.FM
181.FM
320KB (not all streams are 320k)
.977
Radionomy
toby10 is offline  
post #7358 of 7365 Unread 08-26-2016, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
To me, HD-1 broadcasts sound like 96kbps MP3's and HD-2, 3, etc. broadcasts sound like 64kbps MP3's.

Sirrus XM sounds HORRIBLE for what you pay for. It's like a 48-56kbps web stream on dial-up. (I know, people meter).


You mean, what WDOK used to offer. (They're not soft rock anymore!)

I'll take a look into that, but I'm likely going be disappointed. Most of these custom radio services play "filler" or "B-side" songs that were never hits.


What is the frequency of WDOK?
JJK
JJkizak is online now  
post #7359 of 7365 Unread 08-26-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
toby10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkizak View Post
what is the frequency of wdok?
Jjk
102.1
toby10 is offline  
post #7360 of 7365 Unread 08-27-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 103
This morning at around 11:30, I checked my remote setup in Doylestown, and the DTV scan was showing Scranton/Wilkes-Barre decoding on RF channels 11 and 13 using just a UHF antenna... 303 miles. Here is what the scan results showed (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1472325485640.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1626201  
Andrew K is offline  
post #7361 of 7365 Unread Yesterday, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
102.1


I get everything in the world except 102.1 probably because of very low signal strength.
JJK
JJkizak is online now  
post #7362 of 7365 Unread Yesterday, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I get everything in the world except 102.1 probably because of very low signal strength.
JJK
I get a signal strength of 4.5 out of 5 on my receiver. Sister stations WNCX/98.5 and WQAL/104.1 come in weak for me (~3). Both of them broadcast from WVIZ's analog tower in North Royalton where WDOK broadcasts from the WQHS/WLFM tower.

While traveling, I've noticed that the area around the intersection of SR 82 and SR 91 appears to be a dead zone for Cleveland stations broadcasting in HD. I've even noticed that WMJI's analog broadcast seems to be a bit flacky at times in front of Walgreens. I wonder if the hill along I-480 is casting a shadow and weakening reception? If you're anywhere around the south portion of Liberty Road or the intersection of Glenwood/SR 91, you should get great reception due to the high terrain and little to no obstructions.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #7363 of 7365 Unread Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 979
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 74
TV52's signal is down again. Signal is 11.

I normally have upper 50's to upper 60's.

Perhaps today's storms the cause?




.


- Pj
My Model-Specific Message Threads with Settings for the 2016 Vizio P50-C1 & the XR6P10 Tablet. (The Above Needs Updating - Hopefully during August.)
Post Number One of the Main 2016 P-Series Message Thread - Continually Updated with Info.
Discussion: What Do You Want in Your Next (Vizio) UHD Display? - By Vizio's Matt McRae.
CleCakYngMfd is online now  
post #7364 of 7365 Unread Today, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I get a signal strength of 4.5 out of 5 on my receiver. Sister stations WNCX/98.5 and WQAL/104.1 come in weak for me (~3). Both of them broadcast from WVIZ's analog tower in North Royalton where WDOK broadcasts from the WQHS/WLFM tower.

While traveling, I've noticed that the area around the intersection of SR 82 and SR 91 appears to be a dead zone for Cleveland stations broadcasting in HD. I've even noticed that WMJI's analog broadcast seems to be a bit flacky at times in front of Walgreens. I wonder if the hill along I-480 is casting a shadow and weakening reception? If you're anywhere around the south portion of Liberty Road or the intersection of Glenwood/SR 91, you should get great reception due to the high terrain and little to no obstructions.


Well I messed up. I originally scanned for stations when the indoor antenna was hooked up a few years ago. I scanned again with the outside antenna and there was 102.1 just fine.
JJK
JJkizak is online now  
post #7365 of 7365 Unread Today, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Michael P 2341's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Parma, OH
Posts: 1,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I get everything in the world except 102.1 probably because of very low signal strength.
JJK
102.1 is on the WQHS tower in Parma, well above the 500' maximum for a class B FM station which is why they appear to be "low power" in the FCC database. Their effective radiated power is equivalent to a 50 kw station at 500'.

Every class B in town (except for WCPN) has opted for the higher tower/lower power approach to cover their service areas. For those of us who live and / or work near WCPN's tower we get a lot of QRM when near their short tower on State Rd. You would think that they would be for a better environment by using less power. I guess they would rather give their money to CEI than invest in a taller tower.
Michael P 2341 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off