Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 271Likes
post #7351 of 7355 Unread Today, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
Very true. I haven't bothered even having an am/fm antenna in my home for many years. Local radio is absolute crap. DJ’s ramble on (cuz they think they are talented and funny but are not), too many commercials, playlists are repetitive, etc…

In my car I seldom listen to any broadcast radio. I drive a lot for business. During business hours I’m usually on the phone anyway, non-business hours I might listen to NPR or WTAM depending on the topic. Often I just BlueTooth my own music collection.

For home I stream many online stations, completely free. I have no subscription service at all (like Pandora or Spotify). One device I have streams internet radio 24/7/365. I primarily use two free services, both are “aggregators” of many online stations. ShoutCast and Radionomy. These offer many thousands of stations in every imaginable genre from all over the globe, mostly DJ and ad free, those with DJ’s and ads are far less frequent and intrusive than broadcast radio. Most of these offered stations are NOT re-broadcasts of terrestrial radio stations (which is the primary focus of iHeartRadio and TuneIn which are simply aggregators of terrestrial radio).

Sound quality on ShoutCast and Radionomy is good. Radinomy is all 128k (I think). ShoutCast is anywhere from 32k to 320k. But ShoutCast offers a “bitrate limiter” where you can set a minimum bitrate so any station offering less than your limit (minimum) is not shown in the menus and searches. Mine is set to 192k and still offers dozens of stations in any genre I’ve searched on.

One great online independent station is Radio Paradise. No ads, listener supported (but not required), excellent audio quality, extremely diverse playlist from Bach to Bachman Turner Overdrive and everything in between, DJ’s are excellent and rarely heard from.
I would like to know the bitrates of 98.5HD, 105.7HD, and 107.3HD. I believe 107.3 is greater than the other two.
JJK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7355 Unread Today, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I would like to know the bitrates of 98.5HD, 105.7HD, and 107.3HD. I believe 107.3 is greater than the other two.
JJK
You'll have to try each and see. Often the station will offer several bitrates so you can choose which is better for your needs. If streaming to small ear buds and/or have a limited data plan then you can choose the lower bitrates (typically 64k). If you are streaming to a full stereo system you would generally want the higher bitrates (say 192k to 320k) as such a more robust setup would reveal compression and digital artifacts of the lower bitrate streams.

Try just searching for those stations on iHeartRadio.com or TuneIn.com as they usually display the offered bitrate and formats available (at least from their service). Bitrate alone is not the all deciding factor in audio quality but it is a generally good indicator. The format is important as well. Example a 64k AAC format will sound (aprox) equal to a 128k MP3 format, etc...

Also try emailing the stations of interest and ask for a "direct stream URL" which is a standard URL that any device can play without having to be on the stations web site. Often these are unpublished higher bitrate URL's but are available upon request. But then just as often these are not even an offered option from a station (or they don't understand what you are asking for).
post #7353 of 7355 Unread Today, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You'll have to try each and see. Often the station will offer several bitrates so you can choose which is better for your needs. If streaming to small ear buds and/or have a limited data plan then you can choose the lower bitrates (typically 64k). If you are streaming to a full stereo system you would generally want the higher bitrates (say 192k to 320k) as such a more robust setup would reveal compression and digital artifacts of the lower bitrate streams.

Try just searching for those stations on iHeartRadio.com or TuneIn.com as they usually display the offered bitrate and formats available (at least from their service). Bitrate alone is not the all deciding factor in audio quality but it is a generally good indicator. The format is important as well. Example a 64k AAC format will sound (aprox) equal to a 128k MP3 format, etc...

Also try emailing the stations of interest and ask for a "direct stream URL" which is a standard URL that any device can play without having to be on the stations web site. Often these are unpublished higher bitrate URL's but are available upon request. But then just as often these are not even an offered option from a station (or they don't understand what you are asking for).

I'm running Klipsch corner horns with Denon X-4000 and they do reveal a lot of stuff.
JJK
post #7354 of 7355 Unread Today, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I'm running Klipsch corner horns with Denon X-4000 and they do reveal a lot of stuff.
JJK
Indeed. Same here with a Yamaha to Paradigm Studio's. At the 192k+ level you are basically at FM quality as far as the human ear is concerned. If you like WDOK's offerings I'd seriously look into ShoutCast genres for easy listening/lite rock at 192k+. Once you get spoiled with few or no commercials and a wider/diverse playlist you'll *cringe* every time you have to listen to broadcast radio in your car.
post #7355 of 7355 Unread Today, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Indeed. Same here with a Yamaha to Paradigm Studio's. At the 192k+ level you are basically at FM quality as far as the human ear is concerned. If you like WDOK's offerings I'd seriously look into ShoutCast genres for easy listening/lite rock at 192k+. Once you get spoiled with few or no commercials and a wider/diverse playlist you'll *cringe* every time you have to listen to broadcast radio in your car.

I will give them a shot. The first things I notice are the "breathy consonants" of shouting and multiple voices while other tracks are pristine. The Eagles, Heart, Joe Walsh, BG's, (just a few named) never have any problems. It seems the more compression and voice manipulation that is employed the more bitrate you need. One of the worst is the Beatles revolution guitar which sounds at times like a buzzsaw but not all the time.
JJK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception