Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 249 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 287Likes

post #7441 of 7456 Old 09-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Comet TV

Just read on the "other board" that WQDI/20 added the Comet network to one of their subchannels. That stinks since I can't decode WQDI where I'm at. I can just barely decode WEKA/41 (or <blank>/27 seeing that their PSIP is still out) on my living room TV with my outdoor antenna. Comet would have been nice on WJW 8.3 as they have a few Tribune affiliates.

Comet, Buzzr, & Newsmax should all be carried on WAOH/W16DO as they cover the Cleveland and Akron area better then WQDI & WEKA combined. (But we all know Media-Com doesn't have the up-to-date equipment to do that). Even WRAP/32 would have been perfect for these networks if they were able to get back on the air.

Newer is not always better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7442 of 7456 Old 09-25-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 106
More new logs from last night's tropo...

9 WWTV Cadillac, MI @ 288 miles
13 WNMU Marquette, MI @ 480 miles
39 WFRV Green Bay, WI @ 394 miles

(All received in Akron Ohio, where all signals end up)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1474824567907.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1683985   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1474824609988.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1683993   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1474824633702.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1684001  
post #7443 of 7456 Old 09-26-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 127
^^^ It's Akroncentric!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Just read on the "other board" that WQDI/20 added the Comet network to one of their subchannels. That stinks since I can't decode WQDI where I'm at. I can just barely decode WEKA/41

Comet, Buzzr, & Newsmax should all be carried on WAOH/W16DO as they cover the Cleveland and Akron area better then WQDI & WEKA combined. (But we all know Media-Com doesn't have the up-to-date equipment to do that).
Do they get cable coverage in this area?

I'm thinking WEKA & W16DO will go away in my area come winter (along with Ion)

I only decoded WQDI one Saturday morning, they may have boosted the power in testing temporarily.
post #7444 of 7456 Old 09-26-2016, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
^^^ It's Akroncentric!!

Do they get cable coverage in this area?

I'm thinking WEKA & W16DO will go away in my area come winter (along with Ion)

I only decoded WQDI one Saturday morning, they may have boosted the power in testing temporarily.
Low power's rarely ever get cable coverage, unless they are the only station in a market to carry a major network like NBC, CBS, etc.

post #7445 of 7456 Old 09-26-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Low power's rarely ever get cable coverage, unless they are the only station in a market to carry a major network like NBC, CBS, etc.
COX carried 35/29 when it was analog, but they digitized it so only those with digital TV's received the station.
post #7446 of 7456 Old 09-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
COX carried 35/29 when it was analog, but they digitized it so only those with digital TV's received the station.
TWC Akron carried 35/29 also, but I think they dropped them several years ago. (Probably when they dropped "The CAT" branding).

Funny thing is that I don't remember their picture being so awful on TWC. Lets hope that Media-Com buys new equipment for their TV stations after decommissioning WJMP/1520.

post #7447 of 7456 Old 09-26-2016, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Watching channel 5 right now (The Now) and noticed that the Circle 5 logo is different. I wonder if this is part of the re-branding to News 5 Cleveland as indicated by the name change on their Facebook page.

EDIT: The News Channel 5 branding is officially gone! It's now News 5. Not crazy about the logo, though. It looks like a lottery drawing ball.

Also, I think I resolved my reception issues with WEWS. I was getting about a 80% stable signal for WEWS, with dropouts during windy/rainy weather. A few weeks ago, I flipped my Youngstown antenna around and pointed it towards the Parma farm. Since then, reception of WEWS shot up to 100%. My Youngstown antenna sits right below my main antenna, and the two are not directly connected to each other. The only thing I can think of is that my Youngstown antenna (pointed towards Youngstown) was creating multipath issues with WEWS.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 09-26-2016 at 02:20 PM.
post #7448 of 7456 Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Watching channel 5 right now (The Now) and noticed that the Circle 5 logo is different. I wonder if this is part of the re-branding to News 5 Cleveland as indicated by the name change on their Facebook page.

EDIT: The News Channel 5 branding is officially gone! It's now News 5. Not crazy about the logo, though. It looks like a lottery drawing ball.
A hot topic for the "other board", you know someone has a masters in marketing & graphics that had the genius idea & thought this one up... so don't be so quick to insult

Sent from a desktop PC with Windows 7

You may dislike...... SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER! (With no way to close the float box)
post #7449 of 7456 Old Today, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I would prefer if WEWS went back to these graphics. Sometimes simplicity is better...

post #7450 of 7456 Old Today, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I would prefer if WEWS went back to these graphics. Sometimes simplicity is better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGCUwRJwNVc
I was never that crazy about the circle 5 logo, though the one they just replaced was OK. I actually liked the two they had between 1998 and 2007.

As for the new logo, I noticed that some other channel 5's are now using a similar style "5".

post #7451 of 7456 Old Today, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Just read on the "other board" that WQDI/20 added the Comet network to one of their subchannels. That stinks since I can't decode WQDI where I'm at. I can just barely decode WEKA/41 (or <blank>/27 seeing that their PSIP is still out) on my living room TV with my outdoor antenna. Comet would have been nice on WJW 8.3 as they have a few Tribune affiliates.

Comet, Buzzr, & Newsmax should all be carried on WAOH/W16DO as they cover the Cleveland and Akron area better then WQDI & WEKA combined. (But we all know Media-Com doesn't have the up-to-date equipment to do that). Even WRAP/32 would have been perfect for these networks if they were able to get back on the air.
Shockingly enough, I'm picking it up here in Euclid, albeit with an outdoor antenna up about 30 feet!

Kind of surprising seeing that the Comet TV website states that the channel is not available in this area.....
post #7452 of 7456 Old Today, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Newbie View Post
Shockingly enough, I'm picking it up here in Euclid, albeit with an outdoor antenna up about 30 feet!

Kind of surprising seeing that the Comet TV website states that the channel is not available in this area.....
All that WQDI signal is being sent in your direction, which isn't heavily nulled like it is where I'm at. You should be receiving the full .25 kW of power that they are transmitting. Rabbitears map of WQDI.

Also noticed that the calls for their sister channel 28 (RF 43) have been changed to KONV-LD. Sadly, that station along with WUEK-LD/26 (RF 25) appears to have the same coverage as WQDI at a slightly different wattage, so I will likely never see those stations if they ever get on the air. Why don't they just buy W16DO from Media-Com (or WRAP and get that on the air) and jam all those networks on it instead of launching individual stations that will only cover the Cleveland area? Wouldn't that be a somewhat cheaper way to provide much better coverage?
OTA Newbie likes this.

post #7453 of 7456 Old Today, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All that WQDI signal is being sent in your direction, which isn't heavily nulled like it is where I'm at. You should be receiving the full .25 kW of power that they are transmitting. Rabbitears map of WQDI.

Also noticed that the calls for their sister channel 28 (RF 43) have been changed to KONV-LD. Sadly, that station along with WUEK-LD/26 (RF 25) appears to have the same coverage as WQDI at a slightly different wattage, so I will likely never see those stations if they ever get on the air. Why don't they just buy W16DO from Media-Com (or WRAP and get that on the air) and jam all those networks on it instead of launching individual stations that will only cover the Cleveland area? Wouldn't that be a somewhat cheaper way to provide much better coverage?
I didn't think RF 43 & 25 were lit up yet, & they will be bradcasting from where?

K Calls?

Quote:
I was never that crazy about the circle 5 logo, though the one they just replaced was OK. I actually liked the two they had between 1998 and 2007.

As for the new logo, I noticed that some other channel 5's are now using a similar style "5".
You really need to sign up on the "other board"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA Newbie View Post

24/7/365? I'm thinking 16 & WEAK are not on during the day here but have been coming in & watchable 9/10 nights overnight, at times they are both gone in the morning. I also expect both of these to be gone in the winter months... not quite enough signal to make it reliabily out this far.

All I get out here for my bonus is a lot of interference from CFPL.

You may dislike...... SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER! (With no way to close the float box)
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #7454 of 7456 Old Today, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

I would prefer if WEWS went back to these graphics.

Sometimes simplicity is better...

Oh, WoW! Back-in-the-Day memories.

The deep voice from Jacocks (and his darting eyes reading the teleprompter).

Jim Hale has a bit of a Tim Taylor style/sound.

Now, about 8 years earlier, there's the classic Dorothy Fuldheim interview:

- Pj (Temporary 'Readjusted Settings' post until I WoW-Disc Calibrate again.)
Model-Specific Message Threads with Settings: 2016 Vizio P50-C1 & XR6P10 Tablet
(To be updated soon.) / Post Number One Main 2016 P-Series Thread -
Continually Updated. / Judder-free 24p on TVs / Test Download Speed: A or B /
What Do You Want in Your Next (Vizio) Display? - Matt McRae.
post #7455 of 7456 Old Today, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
24/7/365? I'm thinking 16 & WEAK are not on during the day here but have been coming in & watchable 9/10 nights overnight, at times they are both gone in the morning. I also expect both of these to be gone in the winter months... not quite enough signal to make it reliabily out this far.

All I get out here for my bonus is a lot of interference from CFPL.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know, Bismarck; I only found out about the channel this afternoon, but on the TV's connected to the outdoor antenna, it comes in fine so far. The cheapy indoor antenna does not pick it up.

We are the opposite of you as far as channel 16, we start losing the channel in late spring/early summer and don't start getting it back til very late summer/early fall. Get ION fairly consistently throughout the year, though......
post #7456 of 7456 Old Today, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I didn't think RF 43 & 25 were lit up yet, & they will be bradcasting from where?

K Calls?
Those stations are not yet on the air and are probably waiting for FCC approval, or were used as a fallback in case WEKA and/or WQDI were not approved. They will broadcast from the same tower and use the same pattern as WQDI & WEKA, but with a power output roughly the same as WQDI. (~.5 kW)

It's possible that KONV-LD/28 will light up next as the calls were recently changed from W43DB-D, following the same process as to when W21DI-D's calls were changed to WQDI? I just looked up KONV on the FCC quarry, and they do have a construction permit.

And yeah, a "K" call letter? That would be interesting...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page