Advertisement

post #722 of 4242 Old 10-22-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WOIO was at 3.5 kW, is now at 9.5 kW, has a permit for 10.3 kW on a new antenna.

WJW is operating at 11 kW.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #723 of 4242 Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WOIO was at 3.5 kW, is now at 9.5 kW, has a permit for 10.3 kW on a new antenna.

WJW is operating at 11 kW.

- Trip

Trip,

Wasn't WJW permitted to run at 23kw and is it possible that they may go back to 31 uhf?

Tom
post #724 of 4242 Old 10-22-2009, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WJW is operating at 11 kW. They have a permit for 30 kW but on a directional antenna that aims all power north. It would actually reduce power toward the majority of viewers.

I've heard nothing about channel 31, though if they wanted to move back to it, they could.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #725 of 4242 Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Trip you are the man with all the answers.

Thank You

Tom
post #726 of 4242 Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 AM

Liked: 13
Interesting, I had thought that WJW was running 30, as they do come in on tropospheric refraction whenever Cleveland UHFs are in.

Nice to know.
post #727 of 4242 Old 10-23-2009, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

WGP, that's pretty funny, especially when you consider that WOIO is LICENSED to Shaker Heights. It took this upgrade for you to get them IN THEIR CITY OF LICENSE!

It has also brought WOIO's signal to me in Summit County.

Yeah - I posted before about being really frustrated about that very issue. I gather the city of license doesn't actually mean much! BTW, your blog is quite useful if you're who I think you are - keep it up!

Anyhow, it's kind of funny how WJW is the last one left out for me - their signal was so awesome back on RF31. Were there not some minor rumors relating to some kind of sister station doing it or some offhand comments that they might try to start that process? Any updates on that, or am I remembering wrong? Trip has said they COULD do so, and judging from the comments here and elsewhere, it seems that it's almost a no-brainer except for the power bill issues, so for lowly consumers like me the question is - what's the hold-up?
post #728 of 4242 Old 10-26-2009, 06:07 AM

There seem to be some very knowledgeable TV guys on here and I am struggling with a reception problem. Yesterday I was visiting my grandparents and they were complaining about missing channel 3 since the transition. I've been following the Cleveland DTV transition for them and even though they had no problem with WKYC on RF2, they have lost it after the move to 17. I had them re-scan back in June and they get every channel they should, with the exception of WKYC. They are close to the I-71/SR 3 interchange near Hinckley. While they do live in the woods, they have a rooftop antenna and get the following channels on all TVs without issue:

5 - WEWS
8 - WJW
17 - WDLI
19 - WOIO
23 - WVPX
25 - WVIZ
42 - WGGN (on 2 of 4 TVs)
43 - WUAB
49 - WEAO
55 - WBNX
61 - WQHS

On a couple of the TVs they have 'Sansonic' converters and they pick up RF 17 with a 100% signal, but the quality starts at 10% and quickly drops to 0%. I know the antenna is at least 20 years old and run with RG59. My next steps will be a new matching transformer on the antenna and a new run of RG6. They do have a rotator, but it is seized with the antenna pointed correctly. I did notice that when we tried to move the rotator, the signal would momentarily drop and come back, even though it was not moving. Could it be some kind of voltage leak from the rotator motor? I thought about this once I got home (I live in Columbus) and had my grandfather unplug the rotator power, but have not heard back yet.

What would cause only WKYC to be unavailable when WVIZ is coming in from the same tower with much less power? My only idea at this point is some kind of interference on RF 17.
post #729 of 4242 Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 AM

There seems to be a problem the last few days with WKYC-TV for me as well. It is the only Cleveland station to come in for me with any consistency..(Zenith Converter, Terk indoor HDTVa)..Now its been impossible to get a lock on them the last few days..

Now some good news..WKBN-TV is coming in great..like a local..I always got it in pretty good but now I can move the antenna around freely and still not lose signal..49 and 55 have been improving recently as well..
post #730 of 4242 Old 10-26-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by energyx View Post

There seem to be some very knowledgeable TV guys on here and I am struggling with a reception problem. Yesterday I was visiting my grandparents and they were complaining about missing channel 3 since the transition. I've been following the Cleveland DTV transition for them and even though they had no problem with WKYC on RF2, they have lost it after the move to 17. I had them re-scan back in June and they get every channel they should, with the exception of WKYC. They are close to the I-71/SR 3 interchange near Hinckley. While they do live in the woods, they have a rooftop antenna and get the following channels on all TVs without issue:

5 - WEWS
8 - WJW
17 - WDLI
19 - WOIO
23 - WVPX
25 - WVIZ
42 - WGGN (on 2 of 4 TVs)
43 - WUAB
49 - WEAO
55 - WBNX
61 - WQHS

On a couple of the TVs they have 'Sansonic' converters and they pick up RF 17 with a 100% signal, but the quality starts at 10% and quickly drops to 0%. I know the antenna is at least 20 years old and run with RG59. My next steps will be a new matching transformer on the antenna and a new run of RG6. They do have a rotator, but it is seized with the antenna pointed correctly. I did notice that when we tried to move the rotator, the signal would momentarily drop and come back, even though it was not moving. Could it be some kind of voltage leak from the rotator motor? I thought about this once I got home (I live in Columbus) and had my grandfather unplug the rotator power, but have not heard back yet.

What would cause only WKYC to be unavailable when WVIZ is coming in from the same tower with much less power? My only idea at this point is some kind of interference on RF 17.

There were issues with CECB's rescanning both Cleveland stations that flipped rf channels at the transition (8 from 31 to 8, and 3 from 2 to 17). There were detailed instructions on how to clear the memory before rescanning (basically unplugging it for a period of time and then rescanning without any antenna connected). Evidently old PSIP data never dies unless you dump the memory first. I bet that is what is keeping your grandparents from getting WKYC.

WVIZ stayed on rf 26 (and I bet they never got a lock in Hinckley back when that signal originated on Brookpark Rd. with barely enough power to make it to Snow Rd.) I bet they frist got WVIZ after it relocated to the short WKYC tower.

The signal strength on ch 17 that jumps from 100 to 0 indicates that hteir antenna is picking up multiple reflections of the signal, i.e. "multipath" (it would have been seen as severe ghosts on an analog picture, in digital it's the kiss of death). Reaiming the antenna might help.
post #731 of 4242 Old 10-26-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vchat20 View Post

Seems the annual 'falling of the leaves' as it were is actually helping. I'm able to lock in WKYC from here for more than an hour or two at a time late at night. Even mid-day. It comes in and out but it shows some signal coming in 24/7 now. And this isn't even with an optimised setup or an amplified antenna. Just hoping the four letter word holds off long enough here.

I am curious though. Would a preamp/amp put between the tv and the coax rather than the antenna and the coax work without too many issues? I understand it's not gonna be optimal and introduce amplified ingress, but will it work or be worse than the signal I am picking up now? I have plans to switch to Dish Network soon and would like to use the OTA tuner in it but would need to increase the signal somehow as WYTV is still spotty and would need help on its own. And if it means picking up one or two Cleveland stations, more better. But the only two options to come to mind are fresh RG6 coax and/or a pre-amp. Both requiring climbing onto the roof to reach the antenna which I wouldn't do again unless terribly necessary.

You will love the OTA tuners in Dish Network equipment! I have a 622 and it gets WKBN-DT 24/7 with an indoor antenna in Parma! I tried to get one of my CECB's to tune to WKBN with no luck. The "E*" (the abbreviation for Dish network aka "Echostar") tuners are the best when it comes to weak digital signals. I get a lock on WKBN-DT with signals as low as 57! Try that with any other ATSC tuner!
post #732 of 4242 Old 10-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just picked up 53.1 &2 and noticed 53 and 65 analog are gone.
JJK
post #733 of 4242 Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

There were issues with CECB's rescanning both Cleveland stations that flipped rf channels at the transition (8 from 31 to 8, and 3 from 2 to 17). There were detailed instructions on how to clear the memory before rescanning (basically unplugging it for a period of time and then rescanning without any antenna connected). Evidently old PSIP data never dies unless you dump the memory first. I bet that is what is keeping your grandparents from getting WKYC.

Sure enough after I had my grandfather factory reset their converters, channel 3 is coming in loud and clear. That recommendation back in June completely slipped my mind and I didn't even try it. The fact that WVIZ was coming in was even more puzzling to me. Thanks for helping with my brain fart!
post #734 of 4242 Old 10-30-2009, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WJW is operating at 11 kW. They have a permit for 30 kW but on a directional antenna that aims all power north. - Trip

Boo Hisssssss!

We can't have anything like that happening, now can we?
post #735 of 4242 Old 10-30-2009, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post

Just picked up 53.1 &2 and noticed 53 and 65 analog are gone.
JJK

So 65 is gone?? I just deleted this in my set, & cannot get 7, no big loss I guess.

Is 32 Analog gone too?
post #736 of 4242 Old 10-30-2009, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I believe so as I haven't seen it for about a week.
JJK
post #737 of 4242 Old 10-31-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I have observed The LPTV stations go off and return the next day.

As far as rf 7goes, the last time I checked (Thursday night) 53.1 was on but 53.2 was off. I have not checked the analogs lately. The last time I checked analogs 53 was gone but 65 was still on. WXOX (65) has an application for 44 (analog and digital) and 31 (digital only). Also the COL of WXOX is listed as Seven Hills on some of the apps.
post #738 of 4242 Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 AM

Liked: 12
Daystar RF 7 and WJW RF 8: I know with analog, they had to have at least one channel separation. So I assume it doesn't apply to digital? If so that will free up available channels in saturated markets, as now OTA channels allowed are 2 thru 41, or something close to that? I know they took some of the higher UHF channels away for mobile and emergency. I'm curious if Channel 37 is still off-limits for digital broadcasting, I tried Googling this, but all I could find was about Channel 37 when TV was still analog.
post #739 of 4242 Old 11-05-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

With ATSC you can have adjacent channels as long as the towers are co-located. WCDN is on the WBNX tower and WJW is ~1 mile to the southwest.

Same 2 towers used to have adjacent channels 30 & 31.

Ch 37 is still off-limits. That frequency band is reserved for radio astronomy. Does not matter if a signal is analog or digital, 37 is off limits so we can listen for aliens.
post #740 of 4242 Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If in fact the Browns are "blacked out" on Monday what is the closest city to Mentor I may actually have a chance to recieve the broadcast? I have an antenna on the roof with rotor and amp. I have not tried turning it since before the digital conversion but I thought I might play with it over the weekend to see if I can get a signal out of Erie or Youngstown. I do get 23 out of Toledo with the Cleveland locals. With the leaves out of the trees I thought I may have a chance to snag the game from an alternate city.

Ray
post #741 of 4242 Old 11-10-2009, 09:08 AM

I just realized the Monday Night game is on ESPN so OTA is not going to work.

Nevermind,

Ray
post #742 of 4242 Old 11-10-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbuchina View Post

I just realized the Monday Night game is on ESPN so OTA is not going to work.

Nevermind,

Ray

You aren't missing much anyhow!
post #743 of 4242 Old 11-10-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If in fact the Browns are "blacked out" on Monday what is the closest city to Mentor I may actually have a chance to recieve the broadcast? I have an antenna on the roof with rotor and amp. I have not tried turning it since before the digital conversion but I thought I might play with it over the weekend to see if I can get a signal out of Erie or Youngstown. I do get 23 out of Toledo with the Cleveland locals. With the leaves out of the trees I thought I may have a chance to snag the game from an alternate city.

Ray

As for Mentor recieving a secondary market forget it, in fact we are shunned with the 'northeast null' by our local market stations (except for WJW).

You must mean 23 out of Akron, that is a hit or miss, are you in the higher elevations of Mentor & what specific amp are you using?
post #744 of 4242 Old 11-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

As for Mentor recieving a secondary market forget it, in fact we are shunned with the 'northeast null' by our local market stations (except for WJW).

You must mean 23 out of Akron, that is a hit or miss, are you in the higher elevations of Mentor & what specific amp are you using?

I have an old mast mounted pre amp that has been on the antenna since I put it up about 15 years ago. I believe it was a Blonder Tongue. I am low and near the lake. The only station I've had trouble with since the conversion is CBS but it seemed to improve recently. I thought I heard they recently increased power a bit. The 23 is probably from Akron. I may be be remembering when I initially scanned after convertion that I was recieving all sorts of channels but the following day many gone. There was one channel from Toledo I had that evenig. I may try to give my rotor a spin to the south and east to see what's out there. I have not tried that since the conversion and it will give me a chance to blow the dust off the rotor motor.

Ray
post #745 of 4242 Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

I'm curious but does anyone know what is up with 45 lately? I'm getting duplicate channels on my set. 45-1 twice, 45-2 twice, and so on. Same exact content with no delays. But the first instance gives me a good signal around 75% and the second is just barely past 30%. And this is the same for each subchannel. Not a major issue but certainly odd. Unfortunately my set won't allow me to view the RF channels. My first thought was maybe WNEO and WEAO were pushing the same PSIP data, however a long shot that may be.

Nvm. Looks like WNEO's digital translator here in Youngstown, W44CR. Must have only popped up when I did a rescan recently.

post #746 of 4242 Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vchat20 View Post

Nvm. Looks like WNEO's digital translator here in Youngstown, W44CR. Must have only popped up when I did a rescan recently.

Yep, that's what it is.

I'm wondering which is which...I assume a new scan would pick up the RF 44 signal for the first set of 45-x, then the RF 45 signal for the second set, due to numerical order.
post #747 of 4242 Old 11-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

Yep, that's what it is.

I'm wondering which is which...I assume a new scan would pick up the RF 44 signal for the first set of 45-x, then the RF 45 signal for the second set, due to numerical order.

You'd think it would be that way. But unless the translator is pushing more TX power than the main feed, on my set it seems the higher powered transmitter is coming first. Tune to 45-1 directly and I get ~75% signal, channel up to 45-1 again and it goes to ~30%, channel up, 45-2 with ~75%, channel up, 45-2 with ~30%, and so-on. And I checked the FCC page for W44CR and it's not screaming very hard at this point.

post #748 of 4242 Old 11-11-2009, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have an old mast mounted pre amp that has been on the antenna since I put it up about 15 years ago. I believe it was a Blonder Tongue. I am low and near the lake. The only station I've had trouble with since the conversion is CBS but it seemed to improve recently. I thought I heard they recently increased power a bit. The 23 is probably from Akron. I may be be remembering when I initially scanned after convertion that I was recieving all sorts of channels but the following day many gone. There was one channel from Toledo I had that evenig. I may try to give my rotor a spin to the south and east to see what's out there. I have not tried that since the conversion and it will give me a chance to blow the dust off the rotor motor.

Ray

That would have been 11 & 13 out of Toledo which were about 50/50 right after the transition (likely dure to tropo), you are probably out a bit farther & not in the shadow of 'the ridge' .... 19 has got a it better in the past months with 25 also.

Something has been going on with 43 recently on my attic setup since they are installing the lightpoles on Rt 2 I suspect that may be interfering, my outdoor setups elevation I calculated is about 652' (above sea level), & my attic is about 648'.... I cannot get 55 or 23 on my attic set.
post #749 of 4242 Old 11-11-2009, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post

With ATSC you can have adjacent channels as long as the towers are co-located. WCDN is on the WBNX tower and WJW is ~1 mile to the southwest.

Same 2 towers used to have adjacent channels 30 & 31.

Ch 37 is still off-limits. That frequency band is reserved for radio astronomy. Does not matter if a signal is analog or digital, 37 is off limits so we can listen for aliens.

I never looked up the exact locations of the transmitters, but when I lived near SLC, there was analog 4 (KUTV), & 5 (KSL) serving the same area, weren't certain VHF co-pairs exempt from this interference?

FYI there acrtually are a couple apps in for Ch 37, if they will ever be approved remains doubtful.
post #750 of 4242 Old 11-11-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

I never looked up the exact locations of the transmitters, but when I lived near SLC, there was analog 4 (KUTV), & 5 (KSL) serving the same area, weren't certain VHF co-pairs exempt from this interference?

Look at the frequency allocations for channels 4 and 5. There's a gap between them.

Quote:

FYI there acrtually are a couple apps in for Ch 37, if they will ever be approved remains doubtful.

They will never be approved.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page