Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 265 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 428Likes

post #7921 of 8822 Old 02-06-2017, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
& Live like LeBrawn!

What, Sagamore Hills or Macedonia, won't do?
If you are considering those two towns, you might as well move to the top of the hill in Richfield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 8822 Old 02-06-2017, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Nope. Just slow at loading as always. (Firefox 51 + Adblock Plus)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-for...l#post50543481
post #7923 of 8822 Old 02-06-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
If you are considering those two towns, you might as well move to the top of the hill in Richfield.

Back in the 90's I remember one of the local Ham Radio nets being run from "DX Hill" somewhere around Medina.... can't remember the exact location.

post #7924 of 8822 Old 02-06-2017, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Probably the area around 18 and 71, this is the ridge that shadows the Akron signals from me.

Quote:
Back in the 90's I remember one of the local Ham Radio nets being run from "DX Hill" somewhere around Medina.... can't remember the exact location.
post #7925 of 8822 Old 02-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like the FCC is waiving the "quiet period", so maybe the channel assignments will start leaking out soon?

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/000...-period/280275

Though it looks like they still won't be officially published until the auction is done.
post #7926 of 8822 Old 02-06-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Probably the area around 18 and 71, this is the ridge that shadows the Akron signals from me.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post

Quote:
Exactly... I've mentioned it a lot of times already on this thread too. I've done some portable DXing from this spot in Medina, and the signals I see out there are amazing. I park in front of the Medina Antique Mall. I've gotten UHF DTVs as far as Iowa, Wisconsin, Chicago, Nashville, and Paducah.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0396_1486430275930.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1949145  
post #7927 of 8822 Old 02-07-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Exactly... I've mentioned it a lot of times already on this thread too. I've done some portable DXing from this spot in Medina, and the signals I see out there are amazing. I park in front of the Medina Antique Mall. I've gotten UHF DTVs as far as Iowa, Wisconsin, Chicago, Nashville, and Paducah.

The Net Op use to mention a lone Payphone in the area, sound famil?

Clicking your thumbnail freezes my PC & crashes the browser.... probably wants me to view another "ad"

Edit: Better view of your antenna, you lopped off all the VHF elements? how did you terminate the the end?

Sent from a desktopPC with Windows 7

You may like...... Anti-Social Media

You may dislike...... Webpage not responding
You may also dislike...... Doc to PDF converter ads
You may also dislike...... "You May Like" Links

Can I ask..... What do YOU want to buy today?!
post #7928 of 8822 Old 02-07-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Better view of your antenna, you lopped off all the VHF elements? how did you terminate the the end?
It looks like he kept two pairs of VHF elements.

Not sure what you mean by termination, but when I hacked off most of the VHF elements on an old RS/Archer VU-120 that my neighbor gave me, I cut the feed lines as close as possible to the rivet holding the last pair of elements that I wanted to keep. Luckily that was good enough and didn't cause any degradation or interference in the signal. That antenna now resides on another neighbor's house (after spending some time in my uncle's attic) and overall reception is equivalent to my VU-190XR, which has lost most of it's low-VHF elements due to growing tree branches swaying in the wind.

Newer is not always better.
post #7929 of 8822 Old 02-07-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It looks like he kept two pairs of VHF elements.

Not sure what you mean by termination, but when I hacked off most of the VHF elements on an old RS/Archer VU-120 that my neighbor gave me, I cut the feed lines as close as possible to the rivet holding the last pair of elements that I wanted to keep. Luckily that was good enough and didn't cause any degradation or interference in the signal. That antenna now resides on another neighbor's house (after spending some time in my uncle's attic) and overall reception is equivalent to my VU-190XR, which has lost most of it's low-VHF elements due to growing tree branches swaying in the wind.

Says he kept the VHF Dipole, on my Yagi's there is a heavy aluminum rod that seems to cris-cross down the length of the boom along the VHF Elements, believe this is where the Balun is tied to.

If I cut that rod, I would need to terminate it ... shortening the VHF mast, since my Channel 2 & 3 elements are damaged, I wanted to shorten the one in my attic, although it still works on channel 3, you don't know where these yoyo's will end up after the repack now, looks like they will have to open up low VHF now due to corporate greed.
post #7930 of 8822 Old 02-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Says he kept the VHF Dipole, on my Yagi's there is a heavy aluminum rod that seems to cris-cross down the length of the boom along the VHF Elements, believe this is where the Balun is tied to.

If I cut that rod, I would need to terminate it ... shortening the VHF mast, since my Channel 2 & 3 elements are damaged, I wanted to shorten the one in my attic, although it still works on channel 3, you don't know where these yoyo's will end up after the repack now, looks like they will have to open up low VHF now due to corporate greed.

I once talked to an antenna designer and he said they would draw one up, make it then test it and if it didn't work junk it and make another one. If it did work they then would write up the theory. So you guys can probably do as well as they have.
JJK
post #7931 of 8822 Old 02-07-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I once talked to an antenna designer and he said they would draw one up, make it then test it and if it didn't work junk it and make another one. If it did work they then would write up the theory. So you guys can probably do as well as they have.
JJK
I had a good feeling that the RS VU-120 that I hacked up would perform well as I modeled it after the Channel Master CM-2016 (AKA: Digital Advantage 45). Will probably do the same with my RS VU-190XR when I decide to replace it.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 02-07-2017 at 05:38 PM.
post #7932 of 8822 Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 293
TV52 was breaking up a bit late this afternoon, but looked ok moments ago. (Tropo?) FireFox browser was 'breaking' up a bit in recent months, also. Fixed it with the 'NoScript' AddOn, along with the already running 'Ad Block Plus'. .
post #7933 of 8822 Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had a good feeling that the RS VU-120 that I hacked up would perform well as I modeled it after the Channel Master CM-2016 (AKA: Digital Advantage 45). Will probably do the same with my RS VU-190XR when I decide to replace it.

Reread your mod in the prior post, (my bad) that's what I meant but It was on here I was told that would compromise the antenna design.

I have either a VU120 or VU90 in the attic, the first 2 sets of elements (longest ones) are bent or have the plastic insulator broken on one of the sides leaving it hanging by the feed lines, still functional, but I would be able to orient & aim it better if it were shorter. Its aimed a bit too south I think due to it's length & the position of my trusses. Still need a J Pole too, its laying with the front end slightly raised.

Gawd knows how I ever got that antenna up there in the first place?

Allstate Motorcycle insurance ad popup just crashed the browser here.
post #7934 of 8822 Old 02-08-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Reread your mod in the prior post, (my bad) that's what I meant but It was on here I was told that would compromise the antenna design.

I have either a VU120 or VU90 in the attic, the first 2 sets of elements (longest ones) are bent or have the plastic insulator broken on one of the sides leaving it hanging by the feed lines, still functional, but I would be able to orient & aim it better if it were shorter. Its aimed a bit too south I think due to it's length & the position of my trusses. Still need a J Pole too, its laying with the front end slightly raised.

Gawd knows how I ever got that antenna up there in the first place?

Allstate Motorcycle insurance ad popup just crashed the browser here.
The VU-90 has 4 pairs of VHF elements. The VU-120 has 7 pairs of VHF elements.

I think I mentioned this a few years ago, but can you remove part of the VHF boom from your antenna? You wouldn't be permanently ruining it, all you'll be doing is removing the wing nuts and bolts from the center clamp and simply shorting the antenna that way. If your reception degrades, you can always reattach it.

You can, if you prefer, trim the longer VHF elements down and convert it to a hi-VHF antenna. You will have to research the wavelength of the channels that you want to receive. So for example, cutting the elements down to 2.73 feet will tune the antenna to 180 MHz, which is what WJW transmits on. 2.56 feet will tune the antenna to 192 MHz, which is what WOIO transmits on. You can tune the antenna to both WJW's & WOIO's frequencies, just make sure the lower frequencies (longer elements) that you wish to receive remain at the back of the antenna, keeping the long to short configuration as the elements run down the length of the boom.

post #7935 of 8822 Old 02-09-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The VU-90 has 4 pairs of VHF elements. The VU-120 has 7 pairs of VHF elements..
I'll have to take another peek at the model,

Quote:
I think I mentioned this a few years ago, but can you remove part of the VHF boom from your antenna? You wouldn't be permanently ruining it, all you'll be doing is removing the wing nuts and bolts from the center clamp and simply shorting the antenna that way. If your reception degrades, you can always reattach it.

You can, if you prefer, trim the longer VHF elements down and convert it to a hi-VHF antenna. You will have to research the wavelength of the channels that you want to receive. So for example, cutting the elements down to 2.73 feet will tune the antenna to 180 MHz, which is what WJW transmits on. 2.56 feet will tune the antenna to 192 MHz, which is what WOIO transmits on. You can tune the antenna to both WJW's & WOIO's frequencies, just make sure the lower frequencies (longer elements) that you wish to receive remain at the back of the antenna, keeping the long to short configuration as the elements run down the length of the boom.
I think you are answering my question though. & correct, I don't want to scrap this or chance it.

I'm not sure if that book came apart, it is rather tight to get it up & down, though now, the chances of working on it while it's in the attic are getting less & less each passing year unfortunately.

Cutting all the elements or half for one size & half the other (in pairs)? Been a while since working with the Ham equipment, but at one time I knew the answer.

Now it looks like I want to wait for the repack to decide to cut it which takes us another 3 years down the road (assuming I'm still going to be around then ).

Would like to get WOIO back, but not at the cost of other channels. I like ION, although it's a summer only.

Now the flash content from the ads are killing my enter key function.
post #7936 of 8822 Old 02-09-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A bit OT but I see on the "other board" them speaking of all these micro FM stations in the Cleveland/Akron Area. This something new? I have yet to see anything up here (as usual).
post #7937 of 8822 Old 02-09-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A bit OT but I see on the "other board" them speaking of all these micro FM stations in the Cleveland/Akron Area. This something new? I have yet to see anything up here (as usual).
I picked up 92.7 while driving home on route 2 from Mentor to Parma. Apparently it's only 99 watts from a Downtown Cleveland tower. It's "Air-1" a format similar to The Fish but without commercials. They run translators all over the country and have several in NE Ohio. I was surprised that I was able to listen to it clearly all along the Lakeland Freeway. I lose the signal a few miles south of my QTH, by Wallings Rd., where I can pick-up Air-1 on 90.9 from Richfield/Hinkley.

Seeing how it's only 99w leads me to believe they are higher up than most translators. Most translators run around 200w.
post #7938 of 8822 Old 02-09-2017, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was just looking at their site and they have the option to locate a station. It's pretty cool that they give you a map similar to what Radio Locator would produce.

I typed in my zip code and it doesn't look like the Detroit area has many of these stations:

However Cleveland seems to have pretty good coverage:
post #7939 of 8822 Old 02-09-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cutting all the elements or half for one size & half the other (in pairs)?
Yes.

Quote:
Would like to get WOIO back, but not at the cost of other channels. I like ION, although it's a summer only.
In my experience, hacking off the majority of the VHF elements on the VU-120 seemed to improve UHF reception by a small percent, making it equivalent to my U-75. UHF should not be affected, but this all varies on your location and how well the antenna was modified.

Don't forget, trimming the elements to help improve WOIO can also capture more of CFPL, sending you back to square 1.

post #7940 of 8822 Old 02-10-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes.

In my experience, hacking off the majority of the VHF elements on the VU-120 seemed to improve UHF reception by a small percent, making it equivalent to my U-75. UHF should not be affected, but this all varies on your location and how well the antenna was modified.

Don't forget, trimming the elements to help improve WOIO can also capture more of CFPL, sending you back to square 1.
True as I believe this antenna is currently oriented more south than it needs to be, the back end is likely pointed more toward London.

Still this does not explain what happened to WOIO in July/August of '15, & it wasn't only myself, it was 2 others in my area noted differences.

I'll have to take a peek up there to see what model I actually have.
post #7941 of 8822 Old 02-10-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
I picked up 92.7 while driving home on route 2 from Mentor to Parma. Apparently it's only 99 watts from a Downtown Cleveland tower. It's "Air-1" a format similar to The Fish but without commercials. They run translators all over the country and have several in NE Ohio. I was surprised that I was able to listen to it clearly all along the Lakeland Freeway. I lose the signal a few miles south of my QTH, by Wallings Rd., where I can pick-up Air-1 on 90.9 from Richfield/Hinkley.

Seeing how it's only 99w leads me to believe they are higher up than most translators. Most translators run around 200w.

Nothing on 92.7 here in car (at least of listenable quality), were you in west Mentor on sr 2 (W of either sr 615 or 306?)
post #7942 of 8822 Old 02-10-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
True as I believe this antenna is currently oriented more south than it needs to be, the back end is likely pointed more toward London.

Still this does not explain what happened to WOIO in July/August of '15, & it wasn't only myself, it was 2 others in my area noted differences.

I'll have to take a peek up there to see what model I actually have.
It sounds like the way you have the antenna positioned now is nulling out WOIO and picking up unwanted reception from CFPL. Also, in weaker reception areas, the antenna needs to be pointed directly towards the transmitter for optimal reception. You need to aim the antenna towards the Parma tower farm as best as possible. (I understand the rafters in your attic are preventing you from doing so, which is why you were interested in shorting it).

post #7943 of 8822 Old 02-11-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nothing on 92.7 here in car (at least of listenable quality), were you in west Mentor on sr 2 (W of either sr 615 or 306?)
It was shortly after entering SR-2 West at 615. Volume was very low, as I had a passenger in the car. I heard music right away, not sure if it was a "hand-off" from another station. By the time I paid attention it was Air-1 and very listenable. Hard to believe it was only 99w, I expected it to die out before I got home, but it stayed on all the way.

Someone posted a coverage map above, I bet that was base on their move to Parma, however if they were in Parma why does the signal die abruptly south of Wallings Rd.? They must still be Downtown, as a Parma tower @ 99w would barely make it to Euclid on a good day.
post #7944 of 8822 Old 02-11-2017, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Aw, crap! I just read on the "other forum" that WQDI added Decades to their .5 sub. Was looking forward towards seeing that network on a full power station someday. Instead, we get it on a ridiculously under-powered station that broadcasts from a cell phone tower in the middle of a valley.

As I said before, DTV America should just buyout W16DO. At least their signal covers more than a few blocks. Also, there's no point for WRAP-LP to return to the airwaves since their .1 would likely be infomercials and DTV America is gobbling up every available diginet out there, limiting the activation of new subchannels.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 02-11-2017 at 07:32 PM.
post #7945 of 8822 Old 02-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

W16DO probably will be off the air in 6 months, they seem like a very likely winning bidder to go off the air. They sure haven't put a dime into that station since going digital.

Quote:
Aw, crap! I just read on the "other forum" that WQDI added Decades to their .5 sub. Was looking forward towards seeing that network on a full power station someday. Instead, we get it on a ridiculously under-powered station that broadcasts from a cell phone tower in the middle of a valley.

As I said before, DTV America should just buyout W16DO. At least their signal covers more than a few blocks. Also, there's no point for WRAP-LP to return to the airwaves since their .1 would likely be infomercials and DTV America is gobbling up every available diginet out there, unless they buy them out too.

Last edited by nsa1062; 02-11-2017 at 08:00 PM.
post #7946 of 8822 Old 02-13-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As I said before, DTV America should just buyout W16DO. At least their signal covers more than a few blocks. Also, there's no point for WRAP-LP to return to the airwaves since their .1 would likely be infomercials and DTV America is gobbling up every available diginet out there, limiting the activation of new subchannels.

Wonderful!

What's the problem, the signal makes it to Parma doesn't it? What was the TV4U they replaced it with?

WRAP returning to the Downtown or out to the farm, & since they have not gone digital as of yet wasn't there a cutoff date anyway?
post #7947 of 8822 Old 02-13-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's the problem, the signal makes it to Parma doesn't it?
Apparently not, according to a reply about Decades being on WQDI.

Quote:
What was the TV4U they replaced it with?
Infomercials, I think.

Quote:
WRAP returning to the Downtown or out to the farm, & since they have not gone digital as of yet wasn't there a cutoff date anyway?
Their recent application states that it will be a non-directional 15 kW broadcast from the WQHS tower. A recent STA extension also states that they plan on returning to the air sometime this March, pending on the outcome of the repack. Their coverage area is impressive, and it looks like you should get a good signal from them if/when they sign on.

As I said a while back, WRAP must have some kind of plan to carry multiple networks or a local/independent format. Why would they go through all this trouble to provide a decent coverage area just so they can run infomercials 24/7? If that was the case, they would have returned their license to the FCC or sold off the station shortly after they were forced off of their analog broadcast.

post #7948 of 8822 Old 02-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Nice, assuming they can find a channel after the repack. Should make it out here as well as W16DO does.

Quote:
Their coverage area is impressive, and it looks like you should get a good signal from them if/when they sign on.
post #7949 of 8822 Old 02-13-2017, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apparently not, according to a reply about Decades being on WQDI..

Makes it to Parma, but not past, that's a benchmark apparently

Quote:
Infomercials, I think..

Quote:
Their recent application states that it will be a non-directional 15 kW broadcast from the WQHS tower. A recent STA extension also states that they plan on returning to the air sometime this March, pending on the outcome of the repack. Their coverage area is impressive, and it looks like you should get a good signal from them if/when they sign on.

As I said a while back, WRAP must have some kind of plan to carry multiple networks or a local/independent format. Why would they go through all this trouble to provide a decent coverage area just so they can run infomercials 24/7? If that was the case, they would have returned their license to the FCC or sold off the station shortly after they were forced off of their analog broadcast.
That should be coming up soon, but will it be short lived & what content, seems like QDI got all the decent diginets?

I didn't think the signal coverage would be any more impressive than 16, which is summer only for me, & that's stretching it.
post #7950 of 8822 Old 02-13-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Post auction & repack news on Rabbit Ears:

https://www.rabbitears.info/blog/ind...uction-Results

Edit:
http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-ra...s/201702100128

In exchange for the payout, WQED will move to a lower broadcast frequency, likely in two to three years. The change will be almost entirely behind the scenes. The station will stay at Channel 13 on the broadcast spectrum and the move will not affect broadcast quality or availability, though over-the-air users may have to re-scan their televisions.

Aren't those 2 statement contradictory? I'm assuming they are moving to a channel lower than 13, so they will not be staying on Channel 13 on the broadcast spectrum, but will be staying on Channel 13 on the TV.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 02-13-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page