Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 271 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 342Likes

post #8101 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Trip, I know the band was full at the time, but it sounds like it would've been better had more stations flash-cut to their original channel like Canada did. The only ones that should've been reassigned a new channel should've been the ones above channel 51. Then there wouldn't have been unsatisfactory channels issued, like what WOIO got. And the band wouldn't have been packed like sardines. WOIO's current coverage isn't near what their old analog signal used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Then there wouldn't have been a transition period where analog and digital operated side by side, unless I'm missing something. Canada didn't have a transition period, but that wasn't exactly popular, as I recall. In any case, if you mandated stations build a digital channel for the transition and then had to give it up and go back to their analog channel, stations would have balked at the cost of building what was essentially a temporary facility. Then you'd also have to figure out what to do about the stations above 51 or in low-VHF.

Nothing is ever as simple as it sounds.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8103 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well, hopefully the WOIO-CFPL situation gets resolved in the repack somehow. If not, then you are going to get much of the market losing not only WOIO but WUAB and its subchannels too. Even if the Akron repeater is not forced off the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Then there wouldn't have been a transition period where analog and digital operated side by side, unless I'm missing something. Canada didn't have a transition period, but that wasn't exactly popular, as I recall. In any case, if you mandated stations build a digital channel for the transition and then had to give it up and go back to their analog channel, stations would have balked at the cost of building what was essentially a temporary facility. Then you'd also have to figure out what to do about the stations above 51 or in low-VHF.

Nothing is ever as simple as it sounds.

- Trip

post #8104 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
It just seems likely that Media Com would want to cash out even if the prices for each station fell to a couple million. If they were going to stick around you would think they would improve the picture quality and add more subchannels.
You would think so, but apparently they want to stay on the air as they purchased digital transmitters a few years ago.

IMO, they should sell off WAOH but keep W16DO. W16DO just about covers the entire WAOH coverage area, so there is really no reason to have two stations broadcasting the same content. Then they can use that payout to upgrade their dinosaur equipment and transmit subchannels.

I wonder if Media Com & WRAP (if it signs back on) will carry diginets that get displaced by the repack. Example, if Raycom drops Grit, and Univision sells WQHS and drops Get TV & Escape, maybe they'll end up on these stations. Just as long as they don't end up on DTV America's WiFi equivalent stations.

Newer is not always better.
post #8105 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
The VU-90 has 4 pairs of VHF elements. The VU-120 has 7 pairs of VHF elements.

I think I mentioned this a few years ago, but can you remove part of the VHF boom from your antenna? You wouldn't be permanently ruining it, all you'll be doing is removing the wing nuts and bolts from the center clamp and simply shorting the antenna that way. If your reception degrades, you can always reattach it.
I took a peek up there last night or early this AM, it looks to have 8 VHF elements per side (so 8 pair), in addition to the UHF & it was an RS antenna.

It doesn't appear to break, however I'm curious to how I got it up there or even when I initially installed it on my dad's roof years ago. It had to come apart to get it in a box .

This is not a 120 mile antenna by any means, at least not fighting the Ridge & even CFPL would not be perfect most of the time.
post #8106 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WOIO/WUAB Subchannels

I heard back from the programming department at WOIO/WUAB today regarding what will happen to the subchannels when WUAB channel shares with WOIO.

Not a whole lot to mention as the message states that "We are looking into everything that will be affected by this change. No decisions have been made yet."

Hopefully we will learn more when the date of the move approaches.

post #8107 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM

Sure hope they upgrade their encoder at the very least. Channel-sharing with their current fixed-rate encoder would be horrible.

Quote:
I heard back from the programming department at WOIO/WUAB today regarding what will happen to the subchannels when WUAB channel shares with WOIO.

Not a whole lot to mention as the message states that "We are looking into everything that will be affected by this change. No decisions have been made yet."

Hopefully we will learn more when the date of the move approaches.
post #8108 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Hope that is the case.

WJW could also likely pick up one or two more subs if they upgrade their encoder (and Tribune made big bucks in the auction in their other markets). Maybe Grit will go there if WOIO/WUAB drop it?

Quote:
You would think so, but apparently they want to stay on the air as they purchased digital transmitters a few years ago.

IMO, they should sell off WAOH but keep W16DO. W16DO just about covers the entire WAOH coverage area, so there is really no reason to have two stations broadcasting the same content. Then they can use that payout to upgrade their dinosaur equipment and transmit subchannels.

I wonder if Media Com & WRAP (if it signs back on) will carry diginets that get displaced by the repack. Example, if Raycom drops Grit, and Univision sells WQHS and drops Get TV & Escape, maybe they'll end up on these stations. Just as long as they don't end up on DTV America's WiFi equivalent stations.
post #8109 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I took a peek up there last night or early this AM, it looks to have 8 VHF elements per side (so 8 pair), in addition to the UHF & it was an RS antenna.

It doesn't appear to break, however I'm curious to how I got it up there or even when I initially installed it on my dad's roof years ago. It had to come apart to get it in a box .
That sounds like a Radio Shack VU-160. Up to 160 miles VHF & 100 miles UHF. (Analog rating). That's what my old neighbor had on his house before he moved away. The new owner obviously had no use for it as he installed a satellite dish on his roof. I was hoping to save the antenna as he mentioned removing it, and he did so very quickly one morning while I was still asleep. He left no trace of the antenna, though the eave bracket still lies in the "abandoned" flower bed next to his house.

There should definitely be a clamp in the center holding the two halves of the boom together, especially for an antenna with a length of 140". It could be possible that you have a very early model where the entire boom is one piece. That would have made transportation very difficult for most consumer vehicles as well as assembly in tight places.

Quote:
This is not a 120 mile antenna by any means, at least not fighting the Ridge & even CFPL would not be perfect most of the time.
In reality, no antenna can receive a station from that far away. If the signal isn't there, a high range antenna will not help bring it in. Such antennas are only good for DXing as they can better receive a distant station compared to smaller ones, or to help receive a problem station that does reach you.

Note that digital mile ratings are about a 1/4 less than analog mile ratings.

post #8110 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Hope that is the case.

WJW could also likely pick up one or two more subs if they upgrade their encoder (and Tribune made big bucks in the auction in their other markets). Maybe Grit will go there if WOIO/WUAB drop it?
They could bring back This TV, currently operated by Tribune. I just hope they don't get any ideas on launching a 24/7 Fox 8 News subchannel consisting of previously recorded newscasts.

They still need to fix the green tint on Antenna TV. B&W shows are unwatchable because of it.

post #8111 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Hmm Cleveland .com has become a banned site...

Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Web Ads/Analytics;Suspicious"

Gee, wonder why??

Figured the Green tint topic was about due!
post #8112 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

CleCakYngMfd, You’re the expert on TV 52 WGGN…
Why don’t you contact them and find out if you can get
information on their final channel placement after the
spectrum auction. This should be an interesting one.
I’m dying to know.

I just sent an eMail. As Dick Goddard would say,
"We shall see."

I'll cry if they end up on the ElecroStatic Pit of
TV Channels... Low-VHF!

post #8113 of 8114 Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

Your request was denied because of its
content categorization: "Web Ads/Analytics;Suspicious".

What program did that?

I have ABP and NoScript and easily navigate the site, except
with NoScript, I have to 'Temporarily Allow' to use the site's
Search box.

I remember when I was using IE9, Cleveland-Dot-Com was
quite a task for it to load, let alone navigate the site.

post #8114 of 8114 Old Today, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Web Ads/Analytics;Suspicious"

Gee, wonder why??

Figured the Green tint topic was about due!
I tried Cleveland.com and it redirected to a site that contained this statement:
The Owner Of This Domain Is Willing To Entertain A Sale Or Other Proposals

Does this mean the PD will soon be RIP?

EDIT: Perhaps that was a false alarm. You have to include "WWW" now or you'll get redirected.
http://www.cleveland.com/#/0

Last edited by Michael P 2341; Today at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page