Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 281 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 364Likes

post #8401 of 8408 Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
That's not quite the whole story. The reduction of interference due to tropo was the reason why Zone III was created, but that was only around the Gulf of Mexico. Zone I exists because in the northeast and Great Lakes regions, cities are closer together and the FCC wanted to limit station coverage areas to be able to fit them closer together. Today, Zone II and Zone III are functionally identical, while Zone I still retains lower limits in ERP.

I'm not sure what your point is about FM. Until a few years ago, the power for IBOC digital radio for a 100 kW Class C analog was 1 kW. It got bumped up to 2.5 kW a few years ago, with power up to 10 kW permitted if stations meet a certain interference criteria.

But yes, as I said previously, in my opinion, the low-VHF power levels should have been adjusted, but they were not.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8402 of 8408 Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
When I scanned my TV this morning, it appears that V-Me on WEAO 49.4 is officially gone as a diginet, ahead of the predicted March 31. There is no replacement.
post #8403 of 8408 Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Never mind. The channel is back, living out its last week I guess.

post #8404 of 8408 Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
That's not quite the whole story. The reduction of interference due to tropo was the reason why Zone III was created, but that was only around the Gulf of Mexico. Zone I exists because in the northeast and Great Lakes regions, cities are closer together and the FCC wanted to limit station coverage areas to be able to fit them closer together. Today, Zone II and Zone III are functionally identical, while Zone I still retains lower limits in ERP.

I'm not sure what your point is about FM. Until a few years ago, the power for IBOC digital radio for a 100 kW Class C analog was 1 kW. It got bumped up to 2.5 kW a few years ago, with power up to 10 kW permitted if stations meet a certain interference criteria.

But yes, as I said previously, in my opinion, the low-VHF power levels should have been adjusted, but they were not.

- Trip
I see what you mean about Zone III. I frequent the Hepburn Charts, there is always strong tropo around the Gulf and Atlantic regions while on the mainland tropo is nil.

So Zone I has lower ERP I take it we're in Zone I here in Cleveland. I've never seen a map of the zones, how far south of here does it go? Is Youngstown in Zone II? WKBN has a tremendous coverage area (reaching nearly from Cleveland to Pittsburgh) while the rest of the Y'town locals are not so lucky.
post #8405 of 8408 Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I put back the original ClearStream Balun. Strange. The circuit board balun looks like a design bug-a-boo. The board mounts at an angle the way it was originally installed. I reversed it and it now lays within the housing like it should, but the printed circuit part that has the holes for the screws is now flipped so that I had to come up with a mod to make the one side make contact. I put a spring around the screw so it makes electrical contact to the circuit.

Signal last night and today is good. Heck, TV8 comes in today.

Pic of CS-4 at the North Window:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0325171255.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	2048369   Click image for larger version

Name:	0325171257.jpg
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	2048377   Click image for larger version

Name:	0325171303a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	2048385   Click image for larger version

Name:	0325171304.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2048393   Click image for larger version

Name:	0325171303.jpg
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	2048401  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0325171301a.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2048409   Click image for larger version

Name:	0325171301.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2048417  
post #8406 of 8408 Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
I see what you mean about Zone III. I frequent the Hepburn Charts, there is always strong tropo around the Gulf and Atlantic regions while on the mainland tropo is nil.

So Zone I has lower ERP I take it we're in Zone I here in Cleveland. I've never seen a map of the zones, how far south of here does it go? Is Youngstown in Zone II? WKBN has a tremendous coverage area (reaching nearly from Cleveland to Pittsburgh) while the rest of the Y'town locals are not so lucky.
Here's Zone I: https://www.rabbitears.info/Zone1.jpg

For good measure, here is Zone III: https://www.rabbitears.info/Zone3.jpg

All of Florida is in Zone III, even though the map doesn't show it.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #8407 of 8408 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
<snip>
You're correct, I misrembered the zones.

Quote:
In my example, I was writing about the hypothetical requirement that the power limit on the main analog carrier be 250 watts or less for a class C FM (an obviously foolish maximum which would cause large areas where most channels would have only white noise to all but the most sensitive receivers fed by long yagi antennas high above the ground).

I think it doesn't make sense that anyone investing in all of the apparatus of a full-service television station (including a tower 150m or higher) would be enjoined from using as much power as my Part 97 license allows me.

I suspect you agree with me.
post #8408 of 8408 Old Today, 04:47 AM

I do. However, I will also point out that although the FCC has assigned WGGN a power of 1.42 kW, it is allowed under FCC rules to apply for up to 10 kW at a later time, and could also seek a waiver of the power limit as so many other VHF stations have.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page