Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 282 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 373Likes

post #8431 of 8456 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Hope it is not 55.2, or half of MeTV's programs will be pre-empted by Ernest Angley.
Only if they drop all of Ernest Angley's programming, which likely won't happen unless WBNX is sold off. I don't see them adding a 55.5 anytime soon. Also, WBNX gets carried away with the EAS, which becomes annoying while watching something on Movies!. I hope that WBNX is one of the last possible choices, but it's also logical because they appear to have a good relationship with Weigel.

Newer is not always better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8432 of 8456 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What about Laff on 5.3 Is that safe?
post #8433 of 8456 Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeeriemonster View Post
What about Laff on 5.3 Is that safe?
I'm guessing it is. WEWS probably wants to keep it's ties with Katz Broadcasting, hence the affiliation of GRIT. (Both Katz Broadcasting networks).

post #8434 of 8456 Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

Maybe they can add Escape on 5.4 while they are doing the Katz thing? That would open up 61.4 for Cozi or MeTV.
post #8435 of 8456 Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe they can add Escape on 5.4 while they are doing the Katz thing? That would open up 61.4 for Cozi or MeTV.
COZI and MeTV don't have contracts with Univision's owned and operated stations, so they can't be added to WQHS. Besides, the picture quality on 61.4 is awful due to 61.1 and 61.2 sucking up all the bandwidth.

post #8436 of 8456 Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

Ok. I know DTV America has relationship with Cozi, so that is a possibility. WKYC makes the most sense for MeTV if it leaves WOIO.
On the topic of diginets, V-Me has 3 more days left on WEAO 49.4. Western Reserve is not replacing it at this time.
post #8437 of 8456 Old Today, 09:27 AM

A representative from DTV America sent me the following response via email: "We are launching more channels in Cleveland by the end of the year and if they still need a new home, we will be carrying Cozi". Read what you want out of that statement.
post #8438 of 8456 Old Today, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Great. Too bad 99% of the market won't be able to see it.

If W16DO isn't sold in the auction, DTV America should buy it from MediaCom and put their channels there. That also guarantees them a home after the repack.

Quote:
A representative from DTV America sent me the following response via email: "We are launching more channels in Cleveland by the end of the year and if they still need a new home, we will be carrying Cozi". Read what you want out of that statement.
snowdog 88 likes this.
post #8439 of 8456 Old Today, 09:46 AM

I really hope MeTV goes to WKYC.

Even if it stays on 19, it will have so little bandwidth left after the WOIO and WUAB HD main channels it will end up looking like 61.4. Not to mention they still can't fix their timing issues with the local commercials and ID's after 5 YEARS!

Quote:
Ok. I know DTV America has relationship with Cozi, so that is a possibility. WKYC makes the most sense for MeTV if it leaves WOIO.
On the topic of diginets, V-Me has 3 more days left on WEAO 49.4. Western Reserve is not replacing it at this time.
post #8440 of 8456 Old Today, 09:49 AM

Didn't last long, the local commercial and ID timing was messed up again last night. They also partially wiped out a segment of Hogan's Heroes with a local break that ran too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Yay! They got the hourly ID timed correctly!
post #8441 of 8456 Old Today, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
WKYC would be a good place for MeTV, but I don't think they're interested in the Weigel networks. Two months before WQDI grabbed Decades, I sent WKYC a message kindly asking them to add the network to their .3 sub. I never even heard back from them. I know that one person can't convince them to add the network, but a nice reply saying "We'll keep your suggestion in mind" or "We'll look into it" would have been reassuring.

I did send WEWS a message back when I heard that Live Well was being discontinued and asked them to add COZI to fill in the void. Again, no reply. But whether management looked into the possibility of adding the network or it was already being considered, we got it!

I still use the "stupid" Radar on 3.3 often enough that I would miss it, not all of us have fancy mobile phones (let alone a mobile phone), latest PC's with HS internet.

I keep an eye on what's happening here, I'm having too many tech issues with the AVS board that coming here becomes an instant crash.

Just remember to patronize our sponsors here!

Last edited by Bismarck440; Today at 10:00 AM.
post #8442 of 8456 Old Today, 09:54 AM

Yeah, it's nice to have during severe weather. But I'd much, much rather have MeTV than that radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I still use the "stupid" Radar on 3.3 that I would miss it, not all of us have fancy mobile phones (let alone a mobile phone).

I keep an eye on what's happening here, I'm having too many tech issues with the AVS board that coming here becomes an instant crash.

post #8443 of 8456 Old Today, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Somebody needs to ask if "DTV America" ever plans on reaching into the Canton-Akron area with stations/channels we actually have a chance of seeing?
post #8444 of 8456 Old Today, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I still use the "stupid" Radar on 3.3 often enough that I would miss it, not all of us have fancy mobile phones (let alone a mobile phone), latest PC's with HS internet.

You are not the only one who uses the radar on 3.3. I belong to an amateur radio club. One of our members keeps 3.3 running above his rig. An approaching thunderstorm means disconnect the antennas - NOW!
post #8445 of 8456 Old Today, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLones1060 View Post
Somebody needs to ask if "DTV America" ever plans on reaching into the Canton-Akron area with stations/channels we actually have a chance of seeing?
DTV America only "used" Canton (and Medina) to get their licenses into Cleveland.
post #8446 of 8456 Old Today, 10:49 AM

DTV America has two stations that haven't launched yet WUEK and KONV. Not sure if these stations will target Cleveland or Akron/Canton, if they even launch.
post #8447 of 8456 Old Today, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
DTV America only "used" Canton (and Medina) to get their licenses into Cleveland.

I am aware of that which is why I worded my post as I did..
post #8448 of 8456 Old Today, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think there will be enough available channels after the repack for them to even stay in Cleveland or launch WUEK or KONV. If they do plan to stay, the existing stations may end up with an even smaller coverage area to prevent interference to adjacent markets.

With the ~1 megabyte of bandwidth that they give to each channel, they could add all of WQDI's channels to WEKA and the PQ will still be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
I really hope MeTV goes to WKYC.

Even if it stays on 19, it will have so little bandwidth left after the WOIO and WUAB HD main channels it will end up looking like 61.4.
It's still speculation, so we don't know what will actually happen. It's possible that Raycom may drop Me & Bounce when their contract runs out, just in time for WUAB to slide over to WOIO so they can provide enough bandwidth for both 19 & 43. You can always send a message to the programming department and tell them to keep carrying MeTV and Bounce. With enough emails, maybe they will consider holding on to those networks and buy better encoders, what they should be doing in the first place.

Quote:
I was upset when Justice took over the radar on 3.2, but 3-4 months later, WKYC brought it back on 3.3. However, it has gotten to the point where the radar has become useless. Half the time the first two radars show nothing (even during severe weather) and then they show the same PSA over and over again. If they put some more effort into the radar and made it more informal like the old NBC Weather Plus, then it would be worth keeping. And for the record, I don't have a smart phone to check the weather via the station's apps. I can check anytime on my computer and get more information then what WKYC's radar provides.

post #8449 of 8456 Old Today, 12:09 PM

It seems crazy that they wouldn't spend, say, a million to upgrade their encoder to the latest and greatest when they probably made in the neighborhood of 15-20 million selling WUAB's signal.

Even with no subs, their current fixed-rate encoder would be terrible with WOIO and WUAB both in HD sharing 19.2 mbps. They currently have around 15mbps allocated to CBS19 and 12 to WUAB. And around 3mbps to each of the subs. And the MeTV PQ isn't exactly great now.

Quote:
It's still speculation, so we don't know what will actually happen. It's possible that Raycom may drop Me & Bounce when their contract runs out, just in time for WUAB to slide over to WOIO so they can provide enough bandwidth for both 19 & 43. You can always send a message to the programming department and tell them to keep carrying MeTV and Bounce. With enough emails, maybe they will consider holding on to those networks and buy better encoders, what they should be doing in the first place.
post #8450 of 8456 Old Today, 12:10 PM

My thinking is DTV America will keep at least one station in Cleveland. If you look at the DTV America website, they have plans to go to the 3.0 format. Don't know why they would do that if they are not staying? They could have 15 to 20 channels on one station with the 3.0
post #8451 of 8456 Old Today, 12:13 PM

What's the point if they don't put their transmitter on high ground where they would have actual coverage. And as an LP station, they will never have cable coverage.

Quote:
My thinking is DTV America will keep at least one station in Cleveland. If you look at the DTV America website, they have plans to go to the 3.0 format. Don't know why they would do that if they are not staying? They could have 15 to 20 channels on one station with the 3.0
post #8452 of 8456 Old Today, 12:25 PM

Or better yet, put them all on W16DO (if it survives and Media-Com will sell it). With those rates, they could have 12-15 subs easily.

Quote:

With the ~1 megabyte of bandwidth that they give to each channel, they could add all of WQDI's channels to WEKA and the PQ will still be the same.
snowdog 88 likes this.
post #8453 of 8456 Old Today, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Is it that low on WQDI-LD and WEKA-LD? On the DTV America stations I've seen, it's always been 2.1 Mbps or more.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8454 of 8456 Old Today, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Is it that low on WQDI-LD and WEKA-LD? On the DTV America stations I've seen, it's always been 2.1 Mbps or more.

- Trip
When I can, I watch Buzzr on WEKA 41.2 (Used to be on 41.3). The slightest camera pan makes the watermark go all blocky and blurry. Background detail is often washed out and blocky. It looks like a late 90's video stream over dial-up.

I don't know if WQDI is like that too. I've never been able to receive that station.

post #8455 of 8456 Old Today, 01:26 PM

You're lucky you can get one of them.

I get a slight blip sometimes on WEKA (not even close to being decodable), and nada on the other one.

Quote:
I don't know if WQDI is like that too. I've never been able to receive that station.
post #8456 of 8456 Old Today, 02:22 PM

A source tells me American Sports Network is NOT going away as first assumed on March 31. It appears safe and secure on WQDI 20.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page