Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 301 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 565Likes

post #9001 of 9673 Old 06-14-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
MeTV on WKYC would be nice. That radar is fairly useless anyway. But I fear MeTV will end up on WEAK/WQDI.
I don't think MeTV wants to be on under-powered low power stations like DTV America's stations that lack cable coverage. Locally O&O class A stations like W16DO would be a last resort if they can't sign an agreement with a full power station in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I still find the radar to be of use, now becoming laden with Ads for their news personalities, PSA's & commercials.

I haven't seen Me in so long now, I forgot what is on there.
I'm surprised that one radar actually showed something this evening when the storms flared up. However, I've noticed that one of the radars is now gone. (What used to be the 2nd one.)

They could replace The Justice Network, but they have an affiliation agreement with TENGA stations.

Quote:
You could just shift over to watching paint dry.
ROFL!

Newer is not always better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 9673 Old 06-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I don't think MeTV wants to be on under-powered low power stations like DTV America's stations that lack cable coverage.
Hope you're right. Would be seriously POed if MeTV went to the DTV America stations.

Quote:
Locally O&O class A stations like W16DO would be a last resort if they can't sign an agreement with a full power station in the area.
That's assuming Media Com ever upgrades their equipment to add subchannels. Does W16DO/WAOH even have significant cable carriage?
post #9003 of 9673 Old 06-14-2017, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does W16DO/WAOH even have significant cable carriage?
They did in the Northern Summit County/Aurora area on TWC, but I don't recall seeing it in recent years. I think it got bumped off the analog lineup and was never added to the digital lineup. AFAIK, W16DO (then W35AX) was never carried on cable in the Cleveland area due to their then LP status. I don't even think it's carried under their class A designation. (Perhaps lack of transmission equipment to the cable companies).

I remember watching WAOH on TWC years ago, and the picture was not hideous like it is over the air. Perhaps Media-Com had a direct cable link from their studios to TWC, which bypassed the STL to the transmitter, which I believe is responsible for the analog looking picture. If they convert their STL to digital, then they can multicast more channels. Heck, they could even simulcast WNIR and improve their coverage on Cleveland's west side.

post #9004 of 9673 Old 06-15-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
They did in the Northern Summit County/Aurora area on TWC, but I don't recall seeing it in recent years. I think it got bumped off the analog lineup and was never added to the digital lineup. AFAIK, W16DO (then W35AX) was never carried on cable in the Cleveland area due to their then LP status. I don't even think it's carried under their class A designation. (Perhaps lack of transmission equipment to the cable companies).

I remember watching WAOH on TWC years ago, and the picture was not hideous like it is over the air. Perhaps Media-Com had a direct cable link from their studios to TWC, which bypassed the STL to the transmitter, which I believe is responsible for the analog looking picture. If they convert their STL to digital, then they can multicast more channels. Heck, they could even simulcast WNIR and improve their coverage on Cleveland's west side.
W35AX was carried on COX Cable, but only digitally!?! (so a blurry snowy analog feed was digitized by COX and sent unencrypted with the rest of the digital locals). This was back when they still had an analog service. Not sure if they still carry it since I don't subscribe to their TV service.
post #9005 of 9673 Old 06-15-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
I don't think MeTV wants to be on under-powered low power stations like DTV America's stations that lack cable coverage. Locally O&O class A stations like W16DO would be a last resort if they can't sign an agreement with a full power station in the area.

I'm surprised that one radar actually showed something this evening when the storms flared up. However, I've noticed that one of the radars is now gone. (What used to be the 2nd one.)

They could replace The Justice Network, but they have an affiliation agreement with TENGA stations.

Is the pattern Radar 1, Radar 2, Radar 3, PSA, Commercial, Holly Strano Dance Promo (Repeat)?

Quote:
ROFL!
Golf Clap!

Interesting note for the locals here, as I have levitated my viewing to DVD rentals, I recently caught the Bye Bye Man, it was filmed in Berea (Baldwin Wallace Campus), Richmond Heights, Independence & I believe Valley View.
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #9006 of 9673 Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is the pattern Radar 1, Radar 2, Radar 3, PSA, Commercial, Holly Strano Dance Promo (Repeat)?
That's what it was before. Now it's radar 3, radar 1, radar 3, block of PSA's/commercials/news promos.

I wonder what happened to radar 2? Maybe it was infected with the WannaCry virus as each radar is still running on a computer with Windows XP.

post #9007 of 9673 Old 06-15-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's what it was before. Now it's radar 3, radar 1, radar 3, block of PSA's/commercials/news promos.

I wonder what happened to radar 2? Maybe it was infected with the WannaCry virus as each radar is still running on a computer with Windows XP.
So I'm suppose to take my Xp machine off line now? ... why did they do this, because they can?, & only winner in the end is Micro-Soft as we have to buy their patches & upgrades... interesting.

WOIO (along with WJET & WQDI) decoded last night, & I was able to watch Me for about a half hour, decent signal about 60% wonder if CFPL had a power failure as it quickly dropped off after that. ...

That ALF is still a riot!
post #9008 of 9673 Old 06-15-2017, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I'm suppose to take my Xp machine off line now? ... why did they do this, because they can?, & only winner in the end is Micro-Soft as we have to buy their patches & upgrades... interesting.

WOIO (along with WJET & WQDI) decoded last night, & I was able to watch Me for about a half hour, decent signal about 60% wonder if CFPL had a power failure as it quickly dropped off after that. ...

That ALF is still a riot!
If you are running an up-to-date antivirus along with an ad blocker, then you should be protected. Microsoft surprisingly released an update for Windows XP that prevents the virus (worm) from spreading to other computers on the network, though it doesn't protect XP completely without an antivirus. I still use XP systems on my network, but I'm very careful on which sites I go to in order to avoid an infection/attack. The WannaCry virus also affects recent versions of Windows, except for 10.

Congratulations on receiving WQDI. Perhaps there was extreme tropo in your area. I remember seeing WEAK coming in one night at 5/10 bars, likely due to tropo. For the heck of it, I was curious to see if I could receive WQDI.... Nothing! I guess WEAK has to be blasting in at 10/10 bars in order for me to get at least 1/10 bars on WQDI.

Talking about WEAK... I'm curious as to why they have their signal heavily nulled towards the east. The closet RF 27 in that direction is WTAE and WPCP-CD in Pittsburgh, (Why is WPCP-CD within WTAE's protected contour???) which are actually towards the southeast. Adjacent stations in that direction are farther away. I don't think WEAK could even create interference with those stations if those eastern nulls were removed. Surprisingly, they barely have a null towards the southeast, which comes very close to W27DG's RF 27. To be honest, they could pretty much transmit with a non-directional signal, with a slight null towards the south in order to protect W27DG. They basically have no other stations to worry about, unless they increase their power or move onto a taller tower. Of course, it's too late for them to even consider such modification as stations will be moving to new channels, especially since W16DO will be moving to WEAK's RF 27. Allocation map for RF 27 (Zoom in to the Cleveland area).

post #9009 of 9673 Old 06-15-2017, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Congratulations on receiving WQDI.
Yep. I never even see a trace of them. I at least get a heartbeat on WEAK.

Quote:
The closet RF 27 in that direction is WTAE and WPCP-CD in Pittsburgh, (Why is WPCP-CD within WTAE's protected contour???) which are actually towards the southeast.
Isn't WTAE on 51 now (with a translator on 22), they are moving to 27 after the repack? WPCP-CD is on 27 now and is going off the air.
post #9010 of 9673 Old 06-15-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Isn't WTAE on 51 now (with a translator on 22), they are moving to 27 after the repack? WPCP-CD is on 27 now and is going off the air.
Don't know. I just went by what was listed on the allocation map. Perhaps Trip can answer this.

post #9011 of 9673 Old 06-15-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WVIZ lost it's PSIP again. This is the 3rd time this year.

post #9012 of 9673 Old 06-16-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone having issues with WUAB today? I'm only getting a maximum of 4/10 bars with frequent sudden dropouts. The Zenith converter box in the bedroom isn't decoding them due to the weak signal.

EDIT: They must be at reduced power. The signal was stable for several minutes, then disappeared completely. It then came back on with 3 more bars. (7/10). I usually get 9/10 bars under normal conditions.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 06-16-2017 at 07:06 AM.
post #9013 of 9673 Old 06-16-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you are running an up-to-date antivirus along with an ad blocker, then you should be protected. Microsoft surprisingly released an update for Windows XP that prevents the virus (worm) from spreading to other computers on the network, though it doesn't protect XP completely without an antivirus. I still use XP systems on my network, but I'm very careful on which sites I go to in order to avoid an infection/attack. The WannaCry virus also affects recent versions of Windows, except for 10.

Congratulations on receiving WQDI. Perhaps there was extreme tropo in your area. I remember seeing WEAK coming in one night at 5/10 bars, likely due to tropo. For the heck of it, I was curious to see if I could receive WQDI.... Nothing! I guess WEAK has to be blasting in at 10/10 bars in order for me to get at least 1/10 bars on WQDI.

Talking about WEAK... I'm curious as to why they have their signal heavily nulled towards the east. The closet RF 27 in that direction is WTAE and WPCP-CD in Pittsburgh, (Why is WPCP-CD within WTAE's protected contour???) which are actually towards the southeast. Adjacent stations in that direction are farther away. I don't think WEAK could even create interference with those stations if those eastern nulls were removed. Surprisingly, they barely have a null towards the southeast, which comes very close to W27DG's RF 27. To be honest, they could pretty much transmit with a non-directional signal, with a slight null towards the south in order to protect W27DG. They basically have no other stations to worry about, unless they increase their power or move onto a taller tower. Of course, it's too late for them to even consider such modification as stations will be moving to new channels, especially since W16DO will be moving to WEAK's RF 27. Allocation map for RF 27 (Zoom in to the Cleveland area).
Didn't actually see them I must a dozed off doing a scan, that must have been some haul on the EZ add, as I also caught, 47, 49, & Green PJ's favorite channel 52 on that scan. I was distracted by ALF & forgot to check the rest of the presets. Strange that Fox 66 did not go in on that scan & WJET did.

Well 19 was short lived & 8 was gone after sunrise this Morning.

Quote:
Yep. I never even see a trace of them. I at least get a heartbeat on WEAK.

Yes, I thought WTAE was also on 51 RF currently

Aren't you down somewhere between Akron & Canton?

Last edited by Bismarck440; 06-16-2017 at 01:35 PM.
post #9014 of 9673 Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyone having issues with WUAB today? I'm only getting a maximum of 4/10 bars with frequent sudden dropouts. The Zenith converter box in the bedroom isn't decoding them due to the weak signal.

EDIT: They must be at reduced power. The signal was stable for several minutes, then disappeared completely. It then came back on with 3 more bars. (7/10). I usually get 9/10 bars under normal conditions.
I had to watch the Wx on 43 this AM, so no issues till they jump on RF 10.... no Faux 8 this AM.
post #9015 of 9673 Old 06-16-2017, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Fine here. 98%, 30-31dB.

Quote:

post #9016 of 9673 Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like a bug. All the other stations are pre-repack, so WTAE should not be shown (between 26 and 28)

Quote:
Don't know. I just went by what was listed on the allocation map. Perhaps Trip can answer this.
post #9017 of 9673 Old 06-16-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WUAB's reception appears to be normal again with 8-9/10 bars. Not sure why I have reception issues with them during the morning hours. I have no issues after 1 PM.

There's something about their location that gives me problems. I know that their analog was not the best here and 106.5 FM (on the same tower) comes in a bit weaker compared to 102.1 (WQHS tower) and 105.7 (WBNX tower). WEWS, just down the street from them gave me issues in the past, but that was mostly resolved by adjusting my RS U-75 antenna that sits right below my main antenna. (The two are not connected to each other). The ATSC 3.0 test stations from the WJW tower both come in fine without any issues.

I'm sure that rotating my antenna will help diminish the multipath, but as I said before, I got it in a spot where the Akron stations come in with minimal breakups. I will probably readjust when I replace the antenna or when stations repack to their new frequencies.

post #9018 of 9673 Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:

Anyone having issues with WUAB today?
I'm only getting a maximum of 4/10 bars with
frequent sudden dropouts. The Zenith converter
box in the bedroom isn't decoding them due to the
weak signal.

EDIT: They must be at reduced power. The signal
was stable for several minutes, then disappeared
completely. It then came back on with 3 more bars.
(7/10). I usually get 9/10 bars under normal conditions.

I was catching up on watching 43's 'Sports Extra' last night
and noticed the show from earlier this week (Monday, I believe),
they had technical problems running a video. There was a video
still (or stuck video or slide) while the audio was still running, then
a jump to their ID. Commercials. Sports guy says 'we had
technical problems'. Video segment starts and gets stuck at the
exact same spot as before. For the next 6 minutes (the remaining
Sports segment) all commercials and a long station promo repeated
twice. Only about half of the 12-minutes of 'Sports Extra' was aired
live! The rest was 'cancelled'.

One day during this week, I noticed 19 signal was super-low. (RF24)
It's seem ok these past few days. I usually get RF24 at signal level in
the 50s with this WNW-pointed antenna.

Not always do I get 27, but many times I get it with a SL in the 50s, like
the past few days. 21 popped-in briefly yesterday, but is not there normally
except for Trop.

29 is typically in the teens. (The DigitalStream box need around 30
to decode the video/audio.)

TV8 is in the teens a high percentage of the time. Once in a while
shows up with Trop.

TV52 is doing great, floating around a SL of 80.

post #9019 of 9673 Old 06-17-2017, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Looks like a bug. All the other stations are pre-repack, so WTAE should not be shown (between 26 and 28)
WTAE has filed a construction permit, making it one of the few in the region to do so. As stations file their permits for the new channels, they will appear on the map.

- Trip
nsa1062 likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9020 of 9673 Old 06-18-2017, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 152
We've been receiving a lot of e-skip in northeast Ohio lately. We're approaching the summer solstice when e-skip season reaches its peak. Amarillo, TX and Wichita, KS were strong on FM this afternoon. Venezuela was received here on channels 2 and 3 yesterday. And a new log was received on DT 3 this afternoon... a brief appearance of KDLO from Florence, SD (850 miles from Akron) with lots of pixelation.
post #9021 of 9673 Old 06-19-2017, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

WQHS CP Filing for RF36

First one for a Cleveland/Akron station

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...f08a4&goBack=N
post #9022 of 9673 Old 06-19-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So what does that mean exactly about WQHS?
post #9023 of 9673 Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

All the stations being moved to new channels in the repack need to file CP's for their new channel. WQHS is being moved from 34 to 36. The most interesting part is the PDF attachments at the bottom of the page. There is also a "Form 399" that stations being moved apply for to be reimbursed for their repack expenses. WQHS hasn't filed this one yet but some other stations in Ohio like WUPW in Toledo have. Among other things, this itemizes the stations expenses for new antenna, new transmitter, tower rigging expenses, etc.

You can search for these here: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...AppSearch.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeeriemonster View Post
post #9024 of 9673 Old 06-20-2017, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First one for a Cleveland/Akron station

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...f08a4&goBack=N
There is a typo on the predicted contour coverage PDF, it lists them as Ch 37.

WEAK has fixed the COZI Squeeze, I see my Dad's Sony has mapped the channels to 27.1001 through 27.1007 now.
post #9025 of 9673 Old 06-20-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

WEAK has fixed the COZI Squeeze, I see my Dad's Sony has mapped the channels to 27.1001 through 27.1007 now.
Too bad that they can't fix the anemic signal!
nsa1062 and snowdog 88 like this.
post #9026 of 9673 Old 06-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

LOL - That'll never fly

Quote:
post #9027 of 9673 Old 06-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I wonder why WUAB is still airing Grit TV on 43.3?
post #9028 of 9673 Old 06-20-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeeriemonster View Post
I wish they along with WEWS, WBNX & WEAK-LD would turn up the volume on their subchannels. Wasn't like that before, I don't think.

post #9029 of 9673 Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwest View Post
I wonder why WUAB is still airing Grit TV on 43.3?
Because they can (& they are)... There are a lot of decisions made that cannot be explained, but they continue to happen all the time. Why is this! TV not allowed to find another affiliate in Cleveland?

They are possibly running out a contractual obligation with Grit if that makes any sense.
post #9030 of 9673 Old 06-20-2017, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Because they can (& they are)... There are a lot of decisions made that cannot be explained, but they continue to happen all the time. Why is this! TV not allowed to find another affiliate in Cleveland?

They are possibly running out a contractual obligation with Grit if that makes any sense.
IIRC correctly from what was mentioned several pages back, Katz Broadcasting is paying WEWS to carry The Chuck Norris Channel...I mean Grit. Why they continue to pay WUAB to carry the same network is beyond me. My only guess is that Katz Broadcasting is aware of WUAB dropping Grit and decided to dual affiliate in the Cleveland market for the time being so viewers can get accustomed to their presence on the two stations. That way when WUAB drops Grit, viewers will automatically transition over to WEWS and emails/social media posts about "why are you no longer in Cleveland?" will be minimal.

Normally a contract has to run out or be void before a network can move to another station within the same market. I guess this is only true for networks that allow for local commercial time.

I still miss COZI on 5.2. WEAK has not been coming in at all lately.

Last edited by snowdog 88; 06-20-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page