Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 302 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 474Likes

post #9031 of 9056 Old 06-20-2017, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Picked up Saskatchewan on channel 2 last night here in Akron... distance is 1335 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7317.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2197217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7320.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	2197225  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9032 of 9056 Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
IIRC correctly from what was mentioned several pages back, Katz Broadcasting is paying WEWS to carry The Chuck Norris Channel...I mean Grit. Why they continue to pay WUAB to carry the same network is beyond me. My only guess is that Katz Broadcasting is aware of WUAB dropping Grit and decided to dual affiliate in the Cleveland market for the time being so viewers can get accustomed to their presence on the two stations. That way when WUAB drops Grit, viewers will automatically transition over to WEWS and emails/social media posts about "why are you no longer in Cleveland?" will be minimal.

Normally a contract has to run out or be void before a network can move to another station within the same market. I guess this is only true for networks that allow for local commercial time.

I still miss COZI on 5.2. WEAK has not been coming in at all lately.
I did like the older Columbo's on 5.2 rather than the newer Columbo's on 19.2.
JJK
nsa1062 and OTA Newbie like this.
post #9033 of 9056 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Canada still has low-VHF analogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Picked up Saskatchewan on channel 2 last night here in Akron... distance is 1335 miles.

post #9034 of 9056 Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Yes, however this one in particular is scheduled to be shutdown on August 31. There are still quite a few more analogs... http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tv-nam.htm
post #9035 of 9056 Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
I did like the older Columbo's on 5.2 rather than the newer Columbo's on 19.2.
JJK
The ones from the old ABC Sunday night Mystery Movie.

Quote:
Yes, & as you can see easily receivable in Akron Ohio.

Which makes one wonder is Canada on board with our Government whoring off the TV spectrum, or do they just have to abide in the "protected" zone?
post #9036 of 9056 Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

I believe Canada is selling off 38-51 to wireless everywhere as well (not just in the border zone). There are few enough digital stations that they can fit them below 36 w/o anyone going off the air. Not sure if the analog stations going off (like the one Andrew picked up) are going digital or going off the air for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Which makes one wonder is Canada on board with our Government whoring off the TV spectrum, or do they just have to abide in the "protected" zone?
post #9037 of 9056 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That way when WUAB drops Grit, viewers will automatically transition over to WEWS and emails/social media posts about "why are you no longer in Cleveland?" will be minimal.

Quote:
I believe Canada is selling off 38-51 to wireless everywhere as well (not just in the border zone). There are few enough digital stations that they can fit them below 36 w/o anyone going off the air. Not sure if the analog stations going off (like the one Andrew picked up) are going digital or going off the air for good.
Well, leek that on the Facebook, eh?
post #9038 of 9056 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I believe Canada is selling off 38-51 to wireless everywhere as well (not just in the border zone).
unknown. There are some areas that still have stations above 51...like the Fort St James "cable" system...its an OTA setup. Rabbit ears may be outdated as there is no VHF there anymore...at least not on their site
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=523
http://fsjtv.ca/TV.html

Quote:
There are few enough digital stations that they can fit them below 36 w/o anyone going off the air. Not sure if the analog stations going off (like the one Andrew picked up) are going digital or going off the air for good.
Some analog stations do have digital Construction Permits as shown below. I used Sault St Marie as an example
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=144
post #9039 of 9056 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I document any interesting DX I receive on my YouTube page... https://www.youtube.com/user/Andrew7...sort=dd&view=0

There are lots of analogs still on the air in Canada, because the rural areas were not required to switch to digital. I've seen Canadian analogs via tropo too... Sarnia (42), Sudbury (5), Huntsville (11), and Bancroft Ontario (2). Via sporadic-e there are quite a bunch of Canadian low-VHFs that appear. I count 8 in my logbook received via sporadic e-skip.

Mexico switched to digital about a year ago, and they abandoned all low-VHF that I'm aware of. But Mexico was once receivable here via sporadic e-skip on low-VHF. I uploaded several videos back in 2015 when Mexico would appear here.

Cuba is the most common country to see here during e-skip season. It's not uncommon to see Cuba appear several times a week. It's almost like Cuba has a pipeline to Akron.
nsa1062 likes this.
post #9040 of 9056 Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

KNOP in North Platte, Nebraska is also a common visitor here. It appeared for about 15 minutes solid on Monday morning, and then on and off into the afternoon. I use a computer based tuner, and here are some screenshots of the video and signal quality/strength bars that show up on the tuner software...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7256.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	2198225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7243.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	2198249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7259.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	2198257  
post #9041 of 9056 Old Today, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Because they can (& they are)... There are a lot of decisions made that cannot be explained, but they continue to happen all the time. Why is this! TV not allowed to find another affiliate in Cleveland?

They are possibly running out a contractual obligation with Grit if that makes any sense.
IIRC correctly from what was mentioned several pages back, Katz Broadcasting is paying WEWS to carry The Chuck Norris Channel...I mean Grit. Why they continue to pay WUAB to carry the same network is beyond me. My only guess is that Katz Broadcasting is aware of WUAB dropping Grit and decided to dual affiliate in the Cleveland market for the time being so viewers can get accustomed to their presence on the two stations. That way when WUAB drops Grit, viewers will automatically transition over to WEWS and emails/social media posts about "why are you no longer in Cleveland?" will be minimal.

Normally a contract has to run out or be void before a network can move to another station within the same market. I guess this is only true for networks that allow for local commercial time.

Latest info I have is that MeTV is looking for a new home. WUAB 43.1 will take over 19.2 with Bounce on 19.3. Grit will continue on 43.3 until their contract runs out or the channel switch is made (whichever comes first). Not set in stone but this is the current scenario.
post #9042 of 9056 Old Today, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Do you know when MeTV is getting dropped by 19 Gary?
post #9043 of 9056 Old Today, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary16 View Post
Latest info I have is that MeTV is looking for a new home. WUAB 43.1 will take over 19.2 with Bounce on 19.3. Grit will continue on 43.3 until their contract runs out or the channel switch is made (whichever comes first). Not set in stone but this is the current scenario.
Really?! 32 million dollars for selling off WUAB's frequency and they can't buy up-to-date encoders?!?!

Let's just hope WKYC picks up MeTV and replaces their radar. WBNX is another possible choice, but they get carried away with the weather banners and EAS tone. I would rather not have them be an affiliate.

Newer is not always better.
post #9044 of 9056 Old Today, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeeriemonster View Post
Do you know when MeTV is getting dropped by 19 Gary?
August 1, 2011 was when WOIO picked up MeTV. I'm guessing that they are simply not renewing their 3 year contract.

post #9045 of 9056 Old Today, 04:32 PM

At least that gives MeTV about 5 or 6 weeks to find another affiliate in Cleveland.
post #9046 of 9056 Old Today, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Absolutely Pathetic. Watch MeTV end up on WEAK/WQDI

Quote:
Really?! 32 million dollars for selling off WUAB's frequency and they can't buy up-to-date encoders?!?!

Let's just hope WKYC picks up MeTV and replaces their radar. WBNX is another possible choice, but they get carried away with the weather banners and EAS tone. I would rather not have them be an affiliate.
post #9047 of 9056 Old Today, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

MediaCom made a couple million selling off WAOH. They could at least upgrade that ancient equipment they have and add some subchannels.

Even W16DO for MeTV would be a better option than WEAK/WQDI.

Quote:

snowdog 88 likes this.
post #9048 of 9056 Old Today, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Or get off Channel 10! (Like there's any choice left) Whatever tags along on WOIO I pretty much lost.

Quote:
Just sent an email to MeTV telling them what would happen to their viewership if they ended up on the DTV America stations. (Basically the email was about affiliating with WKYC if WOIO drops them).

WEAK is completely gone here. I connected my antenna directly to my TV which usually yields with an extra bar on the meter. NOTHING!
I haven't seen WEAK in several nights here either. WVIZ was off overnight at some point too.
post #9049 of 9056 Old Today, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just sent an email to MeTV telling them what would happen to their viewership if they ended up on the DTV America stations. (Basically the email was about affiliating with WKYC if WOIO drops them).

WEAK is completely gone here. I connected my antenna directly to my TV which usually yields with an extra bar on the meter. NOTHING!

post #9050 of 9056 Old Today, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Probably the most likely option since they have a relationship with Weigel. They would likely have to upgrade their encoders to add 55.5. Or maybe bump Movies off 55.3 (which I wouldn't be too happy about). They will never bump 55.2 as long as Angley owns the station.

Quote:
WBNX is another possible choice, but they get carried away with the weather banners and EAS tone. I would rather not have them be an affiliate.
post #9051 of 9056 Old Today, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if they will even carry WUAB in HD OTA if they are going to keep their current old fixed-rate encoders. Even if they do the PQ will be absolutely horrible on both stations, especially during sports.

Quote:

post #9052 of 9056 Old Today, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Probably the most likely option since they have a relationship with Weigel. They would likely have to upgrade their encoders to add 55.5. Or maybe bump Movies off 55.3 (which I wouldn't be too happy about). They will never bump 55.2 as long as Angley owns the station.
WBNX is a likely option if they are willing to add a .5 sub. Again, would not prefer WBNX as an affiliate as they will annoy many with the EAS alerts and scrawls. H&I was unwatchable the other day since there was severe weather in the area. They make it sound like a tornado will touchdown at any moment. On the other hand, WOIO with a news division doesn't run weather alerts over MeTV. The only banner I've seen on 19.2 are for amber alerts.

MeTV will probably not end up on...
  • WEWS - They seem to have a relationship with Katz Broadcasting all of a sudden, though Scripps does have some MeTV affiliates. Would not prefer.
  • WJW - Tribune is not interested in MeTV. If bought by Sinclair, they will likely have no interest since they appear to be unloading MeTV for their crappy networks.
  • WVIZ - Public TV, so... no.
  • WQHS - Univision will not carry them.

post #9053 of 9056 Old Today, 06:57 PM

Wouldn't 3.4 be a possibility for MeTV if WKYC keeps the weather radar on 3.3 ?
post #9054 of 9056 Old Today, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
DTVAmerica does not have an agreement to carry MeTV so doubt they would
post #9055 of 9056 Old Today, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeeriemonster View Post
Wouldn't 3.4 be a possibility for MeTV if WKYC keeps the weather radar on 3.3 ?
Depends on how much bandwidth they want to take away from the other subs and if they have up-to-date encoders. 3.3 currently doesn't provide a lot of bandwidth. (The radar loop will let you know how much is being allotted). If they have the same encoders as WBNX, then a .4 is definitely doable without much degradation of the existing subs.

post #9056 of 9056 Old Today, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
DTVAmerica does not have an agreement to carry MeTV so doubt they would
That's good, but MeTV's sister networks (Movies, H&I & Decades) do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception