Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 303 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 474Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9061 of 9082 Old 06-22-2017, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Is Raycom dropping MeTV in other markets? IIRC, they were one of the first groups to carry MeTV when they went national
nsa1062 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9062 of 9082 Old 06-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 9
What would happen to 41.1 if WEKA lost Cozi to WKYC?
lakeeriemonster is online now  
post #9063 of 9082 Old 06-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Also, can WKYC just grab COZI from WEKA? Certainly DTV America has a contract with COZI to be the Cleveland market station for x number of months/years (Yeah, I know that's a joke with WEAK's coverage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeeriemonster View Post
What would happen to 41.1 if WEKA lost Cozi to WKYC?
nsa1062 is offline  
 
post #9064 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 57
With the UHF selloff, no other place for them to go now.

I suppose Canada could re-shuffle some of their stations to get CFPL off of 10, but don't expect that to ever happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Or get off Channel 10! (Like there's any choice left)
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9065 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I don't understand why they would drop MeTV and keep Bounce. Isn't MeTV a much more popular network? If WKYC doesn't want MeTV, maybe WQHS could drop Get TV or Escape and put it on either 61.3 or 61.4.
skiwest is offline  
post #9066 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Inundated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cleveland/Akron/Canton, OH - TV market
Posts: 4,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Popularity, local or otherwise, has very little to do with these decisions. Think money (incoming in the case of Grit) and group-wide deals.
Inundated is offline  
post #9067 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Is Raycom dropping MeTV in other markets? IIRC, they were one of the first groups to carry MeTV when they went national
To my knowledge, WTOL (also Raycom) will continue to carry MeTV on 11.2. The likely reason why WOIO no longer wants MeTV is to free up bandwidth for WUAB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeeriemonster View Post
What would happen to 41.1 if WEKA lost Cozi to WKYC?
They would simply replace it with another diginet, likely one that's not yet in the Cleveland market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Also, can WKYC just grab COZI from WEKA? Certainly DTV America has a contract with COZI to be the Cleveland market station for x number of months/years (Yeah, I know that's a joke with WEAK's coverage).
My guess is that WEKA is carrying COZI temporally until the network can find a new full power affiliate. I still find it funny that they picked up COZI just minutes after WEWS dropped them, so maybe DTV America's contract states that they can automatically add COZI to their stations once the former affiliate has dropped them. Once the network finds a new long term affiliate, DTV America will have to replace COZI with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwest View Post
I don't understand why they would drop MeTV and keep Bounce. Isn't MeTV a much more popular network? If WKYC doesn't want MeTV, maybe WQHS could drop Get TV or Escape and put it on either 61.3 or 61.4.
Perhaps the timing of selling off WUAB's frequency and the renewal of MeTV's contract has a lot to do with it. Bounce was affiliated with WUAB in January 2012 (I think), so if Raycom wants to drop them too, it would be just after the start of 2018. Grit launched in mid August of 2014, so their contract with WUAB will be ending several weeks from now.

WQHS (Univision) has no MeTV affiliates and are not interested in carrying the network. They just served as launch affiliates for Get TV and Grit/Escape.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #9068 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 2,404
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Also, can WKYC just grab COZI from WEKA? Certainly DTV America has a contract with COZI to be the Cleveland market station for x number of months/years (Yeah, I know that's a joke with WEAK's coverage).
So is Channel 39's coverage of this.
Bismarck440 is offline  
post #9069 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The thing is, unless they plan on carrying WUAB in SD, they are going to almost have to upgrade their encoders for carrying 2 HD streams. Unless they plan to allocate a fixed 7 or 8 Mbps to WOIO which will look horrible for football on Sunday afternoons. CBS (and the NFL) will not be happy.

If WFMJ in a tiny market like Youngstown can afford up-to-date encoders and have decent-looking dual-HD, it's pathetic that WOIO can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
To my knowledge, WTOL (also Raycom) will continue to carry MeTV on 11.2. The likely reason why WOIO no longer wants MeTV is to free up bandwidth for WUAB.

Last edited by nsa1062; 06-23-2017 at 08:50 AM.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9070 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Who is Channel 39?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
So is Channel 39's coverage of this.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9071 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
The thing is, unless they plan on carrying WUAB in SD, they are going to almost have to upgrade their encoders for carrying 2 HD streams. Unless they plan to allocate a fixed 7 or 8 Mbps to WOIO which will look horrible for football on Sunday afternoons. CBS (and the NFL) will not be happy.
Perhaps new encoders will be part of the transition. Raycom just doesn't want WOIO to look worse than what it is now, so they want to ditch the subchannels so that there's enough bandwidth for WOIO/WUAB to look decent in HD.

I remember when WKBN had both 27.1 & 27.2 in 720p. The picture quality was horrible, but this was at a time when 2 HD subs on a single station was uncommon.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #9072 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Encoder technology has come a long way since WKBN's dual-HD days (which I agree didn't look great on the rare occasions when I could pick them up).

An SD sub would eat up little bandwidth on a good stat-mux encoder. Probably under 2Mbps average.

Raycom is just being cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Perhaps new encoders will be part of the transition. Raycom just doesn't want WOIO to look worse than what it is now, so they want to ditch the subchannels so that there's enough bandwidth for WOIO/WUAB to look decent in HD.

I remember when WKBN had both 27.1 & 27.2 in 720p. The picture quality was horrible, but this was at a time when 2 HD subs on a single station was uncommon.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9073 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Who is Channel 39?
Channel 39 is WIVM in Canton, a low power station that carries This TV. Unfortunately, the This TV people seem to think WIVM reaches the Cleveland area. It does not. I sent an email to This TV several weeks ago indicating WIVM does not reach Cleveland, but I received no response.
skiwest is offline  
post #9074 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwest View Post
Channel 39 is WIVM in Canton, a low power station that carries This TV. Unfortunately, the This TV people seem to think WIVM reaches the Cleveland area. It does not. I sent an email to This TV several weeks ago indicating WIVM does not reach Cleveland, but I received no response.
The same can be said for COZI TV, except it's the other way around. Their website now lists Canton as that's WEKA's city of license. What they are unaware about is that WEKA's transmitter is in Cleveland and their signal doesn't come anywhere close to Canton. In fact, there is a channel 27 in the Canton area, but it's a repeater for WIVN and it has nothing to do with WEKA. This is very confusing for those who live in and around Canton, though I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought to COZI's attention.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #9075 of 9082 Old 06-23-2017, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 9
WEKA and WQDI are both off air/no signal again. This seems to happen a lot with these stations.
lakeeriemonster is online now  
post #9076 of 9082 Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Strong tropo wiped out WQHS this morning, and I had WJAC decoding over it here in Akron... same RF channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WJAC.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	2202401  
Andrew K is online now  
post #9077 of 9082 Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 57
How the heck can WEKA's COL be Canton? Their signal doesn't even make it to Brunswick, let alone Canton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
The same can be said for COZI TV, except it's the other way around. Their website now lists Canton as that's WEKA's city of license. What they are unaware about is that WEKA's transmitter is in Cleveland and their signal doesn't come anywhere close to Canton. In fact, there is a channel 27 in the Canton area, but it's a repeater for WIVN and it has nothing to do with WEKA. This is very confusing for those who live in and around Canton, though I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought to COZI's attention.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9078 of 9082 Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post

Strong tropo wiped out WQHS this morning,
and I had WJAC decoding over it here in Akron...
same RF channel.


I noticed TV52 was 90+ last night with the signal so I scanned
for channels and I received TVO 32 (RF32) out of Canada
on my DigitalStream box.



.
CleCakYngMfd is offline  
post #9079 of 9082 Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Inundated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cleveland/Akron/Canton, OH - TV market
Posts: 4,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
How the heck can WEKA's COL be Canton? Their signal doesn't even make it to Brunswick, let alone Canton!
I know for FM translators, the coverage does not have to reach the COL. Maybe it's the same on the TV side (LPTV/translators).
Inundated is offline  
post #9080 of 9082 Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 9
If Titan is right about Escape eventually going to 20.7, is it possible one of the 55 subs moves to 61.4 and MeTV goes to WBNX?
lakeeriemonster is online now  
post #9081 of 9082 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeeriemonster View Post
If Titan is right about Escape eventually going to 20.7, is it possible one of the 55 subs moves to 61.4 and MeTV goes to WBNX?
Movies! and H&I are sister networks of Me-TV, all operated by Weigel. Univision does not carry the Weigel diginets on any of their stations.

The Escape logo for 20.7 might be an error on TitanTV. I see the logos for 41.1 & 41.6 reverted back to Newsmax and The Country Network respectively.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is offline  
post #9082 of 9082 Old Today, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
dmking12370's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As far as the whole WOIO dropping Me-TV rumors, it is all speculation at this moment as there has been no official announcements yet.

Besides, I personally don't see WOIO dropping Me-TV. If one were to watch the station, they would see quite a few local ads (some of which were done SPECIFICALLY for the Me-TV audience). If a station is pulling in a good amount of local ad revenue, it is less likely to be terminated or taken off the air. I also don't see Bounce going anywhere because they target a very large and specific population (African-Americans) who would raise high holy hell if that station were terminated.

With the new modern technology, they can do 2 HD streams and 2 SD streams if it is done right. Plus, a lot of the cable and satellite companies receive a direct feed whenever possible so that may factor into the decision.

As far as the whole COZI to WKYC, I think that it is possible. Remember that NBC Universal owns COZI, and a lot of their programs are out of their library. WKYC would do well if they got COZI because people would associate the old NBC TV shows with the NBC affiliate.
dmking12370 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off