Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 310 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 539Likes

post #9271 of 9470 Old 08-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Or put some of that $32 million check they got last week toward better encoders so they can keep all four channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary16 View Post
It's likely MeTV will stay on 19.2 until they add WUAB. Grit should be off 43.3 in the very near future.
snowdog 88 and skiwest like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 9470 Old 08-01-2017, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Just today, it was announced that Scripps is buying Katz, which owns Bounce, Grit, Laff, and Escape. Not a huge surprise, then, that they'd be boosting the Katz properties on their own stations.

- Trip
Was this part of the big Scripps/Discovery Communications proposed merger announcement? BTW was that merger just for the cable channels of Scripps or did it include the local stations like WEWS?
post #9273 of 9470 Old 08-01-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmking12370 View Post
Was this part of the big Scripps/Discovery Communications proposed merger announcement? BTW was that merger just for the cable channels of Scripps or did it include the local stations like WEWS?
Scripps Networks and Scripps are, confusingly, two different companies. So Discovery is buying Scripps Networks, owner of Food Channel among others, while Scripps, which owns WEWS, is buying Katz.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9274 of 9470 Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 20
[QUOTE=Didn't Discovery Networks also buy out Scripps recently?[/QUOTE]

Discovery bought Scripps Networks (hgtv etc) not the Scripps stations. Different companies.
post #9275 of 9470 Old 08-01-2017, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Laff network looked promising when WEWS put it on 5.3 a couple years ago, but it has lost my interest due to its lack of variety. Currently, it is just long blocks of a handful of shows that do not appeal to me - Roseanne, Empty Nest, Night Court and Drew Carey. The only show I used to watch, Spin City, has been moved to the wee hours of the morning on the weekend. And Grit network is even worse. One has to wonder how long some of these diginets will last. Ultimately, there will likely be some kind of consolidation.
nsa1062, OTA Newbie and snowdog 88 like this.

Last edited by skiwest; 08-01-2017 at 12:09 PM.
post #9276 of 9470 Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwest View Post
Laff network looked promising when WEWS put it on 5.3 a couple years ago, but it has lost my interest due to its lack of variety. Currently, it is just long blocks of a handful of shows that do not appeal to me - Roseanne, Empty Nest, Night Court and Drew Carey. The only show I used to watch, Spin City, has been moved to the wee hours of the morning on the weekend. And Grit network is even worse. One has to wonder how long some of these diginets will last. Ultimately, there will likely be some kind of consolidation.
You hit the nail on the head! Laff and Grit (and presumably Escape) are just the same 5 shows and movies played over and over. Seeing that Laff has an agreement to air Disney/Buena Vista content, I was hoping that they could pick up some ABC programs from the 90's, such as Home Improvement, Step By Step, Full House, Family Matters, etc., but that doesn't seem like that's gonna happen. Supposedly Laff is rumored to air That 70's Show and 3rd Rock From The Sun in the future, two shows that I could care less about.

And Grit... That network was OK until they started running binge blocks of Walker Texas Ranger every night. That show cycles over about every 5 weeks. Enough of it already!!!
nsa1062 and OTA Newbie like this.

Newer is not always better.
post #9277 of 9470 Old 08-01-2017, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
I believe they are still on as it sounds like the station on FM (La Mega id) but the signal is very weak. I don't see it on two of my televisions. Will check the other one later which has a better antenna. But as I said, the FM signal is only one bar out of five.
Somehow I lost it on my Sammy. It used to be in the channel list but disappeared (I did not do a rescan). Even if they did a cut in power it should not have affected my reception, I'm just 1 mile from the WBNX tower. If they stopped broadcasting a video carrier that may have been why it disappeared. I tried manually tuning to 6, the TV went first to digital and then analog. It gives me a snowy picture and no sound. Evidently when there is no video carrier on an analog signal the TV ignores the audio signal.

EDIT: I just hooked up an indoor antenna to an analog TV and got the signal. It appears they are broadcasting color bars for their video (it was barley visible inside the brick and mortar building I'm currently in but the sound was fine).

Last edited by Michael P 2341; 08-01-2017 at 01:52 PM.
post #9278 of 9470 Old 08-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Rapture ThisWeek? Ready?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post

Laff and Grit (and presumably Escape) are just
the same 5 shows and movies played over and over...

Isn't that terrible that these handful of shows that just repeat over and over and interrupt the commercials.

To me, PeeTV was/is the king of the Sub-Channel WorkNets. Decent variety of content, with some series running a long, long time before it cycles over again.

I don't know what's it like now, as I've not viewed any Sub-Channel stuff for a while now. (Too busy streaming 1080 or 4K stuff.)

I've downloaded some of the local stations' Apps. Just downloaded the NBC App last night.

Links:

Vizio Support Vizio Support Vizio Support Misc1 Misc2
Updating To 3.3.18.1 Firmware Flicker/Blank Power-Cycle More Stuff Here Put Stuff Here
Order Remote My Vizio Hums Vizio XHDR More Stuff There Put Stuff There
post #9279 of 9470 Old 08-01-2017, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwest View Post
Well with a lot of these retro networks they are running the same shows because the network owners already own the content (like Cozi being owned by NBC/Universal, you see a lot of former NBC shows on that network). It is far better to run content that you already own rather than pay royalties to someone else.
post #9280 of 9470 Old 08-01-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What I would like to see on a netlet (or Nick at Night) is a recreation of an entire network's prime time evening's offering from the 60's. This would entail getting the same program episodes that aired on, for example, CBS on a Tuesday in 1964. They could even include some classic commercials.

I wonder if this has ever been tried before?
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #9281 of 9470 Old 08-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
What I would like to see on a netlet (or Nick at Night) is a recreation of an entire network's prime time evening's offering from the 60's. This would entail getting the same program episodes that aired on, for example, CBS on a Tuesday in 1964. They could even include some classic commercials.

How many of those companies that were in the commercials are out of business?
Sounds like a royalty nightmare. Then there are the booze and cigarette commercials. But I would like the one with Heather? something laying in the mattress commercial.

JJK
post #9282 of 9470 Old 08-02-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I wonder if WLFM-LP is intentionally reducing their video power. With WOUC-DT Cambridge moving to RF 6 in a year or two, I wonder if it's possible that WLFM-LP can reduce their power in order to continue broadcasting as a phony FM radio station (that's actually a TV station). I no longer see any presence of their video here in Akron, and I have a massive rooftop VHF antenna. I can still hear the audio though.
post #9283 of 9470 Old 08-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

WOUC isn't going anywhere for well over a year, so not sure why WLFM would be doing this now, even if it were allowed.

Besides, wouldn't their audio carrier at 87.75 (at full power) still interfere with WOUC even if the video power were reduced?

Don't all these analog stations (even these Franken-FMs) have to go digital at some point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I wonder if WLFM-LP is intentionally reducing their video power. With WOUC-DT Cambridge moving to RF 6 in a year or two, I wonder if it's possible that WLFM-LP can reduce their power in order to continue broadcasting as a phony FM radio station (that's actually a TV station).
post #9284 of 9470 Old 08-02-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
WOUC isn't going anywhere for well over a year, so not sure why WLFM would be doing this now, even if it were allowed.

Besides, wouldn't their audio carrier at 87.75 (at full power) still interfere with WOUC even if the video power were reduced?

Don't all these analog stations (even these Franken-FMs) have to go digital at some point?
Yes, I understand... but I'm wondering if there is any power that WLFM-LP could reduce to and be okay to coexist with WOUC. I know W35AX and WOUC-DT on RF 35 coexisted for many years.
post #9285 of 9470 Old 08-02-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I re-scanned my Sammy and WLFM returned.
post #9286 of 9470 Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I re-scanned my Sammy and WLFM returned.
Yep, WLFM-LP has video now. I see the test pattern now.

By the way, Columbia also appeared on analog channels 2 and 4 this evening with the Caracol Network. The distance from Akron is well over 2,000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magangue 3.jpg (121.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9491.JPG (201.1 KB, 24 views)
post #9287 of 9470 Old 08-03-2017, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Raycom Media has placed an order for 29 UHF and VHF antennas, tunable RF filers and transmission line from Dielectric to execute its TV spectrum repack obligations, the antenna manufacturer announced this week.

The Dielectric antennas for Raycom includes:

TFU-WB UHF arrays, a low-cost, sidemount UHF broadband pylon antenna.
TFU-G, TFU-E and TFU-J UHF arrays.
THV VHF arrays.
Many of the antenna arrays include elliptical polarization to enhance ATSC 1.0 reception and to prepare for 3.0 operation.
post #9288 of 9470 Old 08-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Rapture ThisWeek? Ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary16 View Post

Raycom Media has placed an order for 29 UHF and VHF
antennas, tunable RF filers and transmission line from
Dielectric to execute its TV spectrum repack obligations,
the antenna manufacturer announced this week.

Ooh. Did they also get a Green-Flash Filter?

Michael P 2341 likes this.

Links:

Updating To 3.3.18.1 Firmware Flicker/Blank Power-Cycle More Stuff Here Put Stuff Here
post #9289 of 9470 Old 08-03-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone hearing popping/clicking noises on WEKA 41.5, 41.6 & 41.7? I currently can't verify the problem on another device. It kind of sounds like an clipping issue, which is strange as the volume is so low on these channels.

Turn the volume up on the TV, stand near it and listen closely. It seems to be most noticeable on 41.7.

post #9290 of 9470 Old 08-03-2017, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Ooh. Did they also get a Green-Flash Filter? .
That's a problem with the encoder or whatever is feeding the encoder for 19.2. Lets hope that's history if/when Raycom replaces the current encoder with a brand new state-of-the-art one for when WUAB slides over to WOIO.

post #9291 of 9470 Old 08-04-2017, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Isn't that terrible that these handful of shows that just repeat over and over and interrupt the commercials.

To me, PeeTV was/is the king of the Sub-Channel WorkNets. Decent variety of content, with some series running a long, long time before it cycles over again.

I don't know what's it like now, as I've not viewed any Sub-Channel stuff for a while now. (Too busy streaming 1080 or 4K stuff.)

I've downloaded some of the local stations' Apps. Just downloaded the NBC App last night.

Pick, Pick, Pick on them, eh? & you are so fortunate that WOIO cares about your Local. I miss ALF when it came in briefly last week I thought I died & went to Akron!

Actually I do like A-Team too, which was NBC, & on COZI.

Quote:

Why just stop @ 1964?? I don't it would go over well with the younger audiences though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
How many of those companies that were in the commercials are out of business?
Sounds like a royalty nightmare. Then there are the booze and cigarette commercials. But I would like the one with Heather? something laying in the mattress commercial.

JJK
That would be Joey Heatherton for Serta Perfect sleeper... who could forget? Quite a versatile actress, from family variety shows to playing the Happy Hooker, ever see Bluebeard (1972)?

Now you got my curiosity to see those flicks again, they are a rarity on DVD.
post #9292 of 9470 Old 08-04-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Spoiler!

Scary thought, everything transmitted over the internet is there forever. I like the concept of paperless too, yet it's never going to happen in my world.

I don't have the time or energy to chase down these scammers, bad enough Io get mails & phone calls daily, but very rarely through the US Mail.

I suppose you are one with your mobile phone too... like the rest of the world?
post #9293 of 9470 Old 08-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Pick, Pick, Pick on them, eh? & you are so fortunate that WOIO cares about your Local. I miss ALF when it came in briefly last week I thought I died & went to Akron!

Actually I do like A-Team too, which was NBC, & on COZI.

Why just stop @ 1964?? I don't it would go over well with the younger audiences though.

The first time I saw that Joey Heatherton commercial I said to myself "I can't handle this".
JJK

That would be Joey Heatherton for Serta Perfect sleeper... who could forget? Quite a versatile actress, from family variety shows to playing the Happy Hooker, ever see Bluebeard (1972)?

Now you got my curiosity to see those flicks again, they are a rarity on DVD.
The first time I saw that Joey Heatherton commercial I said to myself "I can't handle this".
JJK
post #9294 of 9470 Old 08-05-2017, 02:32 AM
Rapture ThisWeek? Ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post

Scary thought, everything transmitted over the
internet is there forever... I suppose you are one
with your mobile phone too... like the rest of the
world?

I don't let my CC info be stored on the merchant's
site. That helps the risk factor, but nowadays...
there's always some risk.

A zombie cellphone user? Nah. I still have a
dumb-phone. A TricFone. About $21.78 per
90 days. Any 'texting' I do is from/to via my
eMail.

What to do with my B&W and color 1.5"
Panasonic Anal-log TVs?

I still use a desktop computer (since 2010 - a few
years before that, I was on a laptop - and prior to
that, it was all desktops... back to my first one... a
Tandy EX).

Spoiler!

Links:

post #9295 of 9470 Old 08-06-2017, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Hi all. Have a question for my grandmother.

She lives in Parma heights and in her basement she barely gets and local
Channels with a regular antenna on her tv.

Is there something I can get her that would help her get locals etc etc.

She refuses to pay for cable and I had gave her this old hd antenna I bought maybe 15 years ago.

I would greatly appreciate any info.

Yes she does have a hd tv as well go figure
post #9296 of 9470 Old 08-06-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
Hi all. Have a question for my grandmother.

She lives in Parma heights and in her basement she barely gets and local
Channels with a regular antenna on her tv.

Is there something I can get her that would help her get locals etc etc.

She refuses to pay for cable and I had gave her this old hd antenna I bought maybe 15 years ago.

I would greatly appreciate any info.

Yes she does have a hd tv as well go figure
I'm not seeing the antenna that you mentioned in your post.

In Parma Heights, she should be able to see the TV towers from her house. However, being close to the towers doesn't mean that you're going to get the strongest reception as most of the signal maybe sent right over your head rather than being beamed down towards the ground.

Some suggestions...
  • If shes using rabbit ears, try upgrading to something a bit better. Make sure it designed for both VHF & UHF.
  • Move the antenna in front of a window facing in the direction of the towers.
  • If the antenna has a pre-amp attached, disable or remove it. A pre-amp in that area is unnecessary as it will overload the TV's tuner, mimicking a weak or no signal condition.
  • Upgrade to an outdoor antenna. Something small like the RCA ANT-751R is more than good enough for Parma Heights. You can use the outdoor antenna to feed all the TV's in her house and eliminate the need of constantly adjusting an indoor antenna. She may even get some extra channels (WQDI 20 & WEKA 41) with an outdoor antenna.
OTA Newbie likes this.

post #9297 of 9470 Old 08-06-2017, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the fast response!!!

I didn't put the antenna because I don't even know the name and I'm not at her house at the moment.

As far as pointing that antenna you suggested did there a certain direction it needs to be pointed ?
post #9298 of 9470 Old 08-06-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the fast response!!!

I didn't put the antenna because I don't even know the name and I'm not at her house at the moment.

As far as pointing that antenna you suggested did there a certain direction it needs to be pointed ?
Visit TV Fool and input the address (or move marker) to determine where to aim the antenna. If she's interested in receiving the Akron stations, then you may have to aim it towards the southeast a little for stable reception.

post #9299 of 9470 Old 08-06-2017, 02:26 PM

She just actually wants locals for the most part they keep going in and out on her
post #9300 of 9470 Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

In Parma Heights you should be able to get all the UHF stations with a paperclip (excluding 8 and 19 which are VHF).

Here is the TV Fool for Pearl and York (not knowing where you are exactly):

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a49b29c0de88

The signals are all smoking hot and line-of-sight. Even the pathetically-weak WEKA is in the green.

Agree with Snowdog, you don't want any type of amplified antenna as this will just overload the tuner. I would try cheap $10 un-amplified rabbit ears (which should pick up 8 and 19 which are in the high-VHF range).

Quote:
She just actually wants locals for the most part they keep going in and out on her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page