Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 313 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 561Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9361 of 9668 Old 08-24-2017, 05:02 PM
7-Year Tribulation Soon?
 
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,669
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 412
 
Broadcasters Facing Obstacles to Meet EAS Deadline
New required information and a change in the system causing problems ahead of Monday deadline.
Sinclair and Tribune Respond to Deal Critics
Sinclair CEO Chris Ripley says acquisition will help “ensure the future of free and local television.”
Tech Voices Push for White Spaces
Broadcasters argue that using spectrum will reduce space for licensed TV stations in post-incentive auction repack.


- Pj
CleCakYngMfd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9362 of 9668 Old 08-25-2017, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 68
What white spaces will be left in most markets after the repack? Almost every channel will have something local or semi-local on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
 
Tech Voices Push for White Spaces
Broadcasters argue that using spectrum will reduce space for licensed TV stations in post-incentive auction repack.


- Pj
Andrew K likes this.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9363 of 9668 Old 08-25-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
 
Tech Voices Push for White Spaces
Broadcasters argue that using spectrum will reduce space for licensed TV stations in post-incentive auction repack.


- Pj
No $&*t! They got the pie, now they want the crumbs.

How much do YOU want to & are willing to pay for Television!?
Bismarck440 is online now  
 
post #9364 of 9668 Old 08-25-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
What white spaces will be left in most markets after the repack? Almost every channel will have something local or semi-local on it.
I can't imagine that there would be any white space left anywhere around here. I know a lot of rural areas have basically no locals or only a couple. I could imagine the broadband internet plan working in a place like that. Basically, I hope this idea gets tossed away, but how's that going to happen? All you gotta do is throw a bunch of money to the people in power in Washington, and you can get whatever you want.
Andrew K is offline  
post #9365 of 9668 Old 08-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Even in remote rural areas they get tropo, so these low-power internet signals will get wiped out half the time in the summer. Can't see that being very successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
I can't imagine that there would be any white space left anywhere around here. I know a lot of rural areas have basically no locals or only a couple. I could imagine the broadband internet plan working in a place like that. Basically, I hope this idea gets tossed away, but how's that going to happen? All you gotta do is throw a bunch of money to the people in power in Washington, and you can get whatever you want.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9366 of 9668 Old 08-25-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Even in remote rural areas they get tropo, so these low-power internet signals will get wiped out half the time in the summer. Can't see that being very successful.
Hopefully this idea will be stopped and common sense prevail. If they really wanted more spectrum, then wouldn't the auction have ended sooner with more DTVs sold?
Andrew K is offline  
post #9367 of 9668 Old 08-25-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Hopefully this idea will be stopped and common sense prevail. If they really wanted more spectrum, then wouldn't the auction have ended sooner with more DTVs sold?
All of a sudden this interest in the rest of the band they didn't pick clean already?

This may had worked on the expanded band, not now. Wonder who is throwing money @ Washington?
Bismarck440 is online now  
post #9368 of 9668 Old 08-26-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 15,570
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Did anyone notice that in the RabbitEars market listing for Cleveland, WRLM is listed as channel-sharing (in red) with no host channel shown (unlike WUAB which is in yellow with host channel 10, and WDLI and WKBN which are still shown as going off the air). Does this mean they are looking for a host station but haven't found one willing to sell bandwidth?

I assume yellow (like WUAB/WOIO) means that the sharing has been announced but the FCC application hasn't been filed, and green means the application for CS was filed?
Here's what the color coding means (I've not documented it anywhere; that's my fault):

Green - channel share is implemented and the old frequency turned off. See KTNC, WCWG, or KNET-CD for examples. In these cases, the host station is also green, with (H) next to the host and (G) next to the guest.
Yellow - channel share has been announced or filed. WUAB has announced that it will share on WOIO and is thus yellow with channel information. Similarly, in the DC area, WJAL did not announce it, but filed with the FCC that it will share on WUSA and is similarly yellow with channel information.
Red - channel share partner is not announced, but intent to channel share is known. This can mean one of three things. Either I have inside information about who the sharing partner will be but since it's not been made public I can't post it (WRLM is in this category), the station has publicly announced it's looking for a channel sharing partner (see KMTP), or the station has publicly announced that it has a partner but has not announced who the partner is (see WFMZ and WLVT).
No color - either the station is known to not be sharing and will go off the air, or its sharing status is entirely unknown and I have neither inside information nor has any announcement been made.

In short, the color is representative of the amount of information known. Green means it's implemented, yellow means we know with reasonable certainty what is going to happen, red means we know sharing will happen but not the details, and no color means it's unknown.

Does that help?

- Trip
nsa1062 and snowdog 88 like this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #9369 of 9668 Old 08-26-2017, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Yes, thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Does that help?

- Trip
When is the deadline for these channel-sharing application to be filed? Pretty soon I would assume?

Can stations going off the air (or becoming "sharee's" like WUAB) file for an extension and stay on a little longer or is January 2018 the drop-dead date for them?
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9370 of 9668 Old 08-26-2017, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 68
WBNX 55.3 in my Tivo Guide is listed as "TBA" starting 9/4 at 8AM. It's been this way for at least a few days.

Wonder if this means anything? It's unheard of for the TiVo guide to not be populated only a week or so out.

Could this mean Movies! being dropped (and possibly replace with MeTV)?

19.2 still shows MeTV listings all the way to the end.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9371 of 9668 Old 08-26-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
WBNX 55.3 in my Tivo Guide is listed as "TBA" starting 9/4 at 8AM. It's been this way for at least a few days.

Wonder if this means anything? It's unheard of for the TiVo guide to not be populated only a week or so out.

Could this mean Movies! being dropped (and possibly replace with MeTV)?

19.2 still shows MeTV listings all the way to the end.
55.3 shows listings past 9/4 and all the way up to 9/8 on TitanTV. Perhaps it's a glitch with the TiVo guide.

WBNX's current contract with Movies! doesn't end until March 23, 2018. If they do drop Movies!, you can bet that WEAK or WEAK(er) will pick them up. That is, if they haven't yet been forced to sign off by the repack.
Michael P 2341 likes this.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is online now  
post #9372 of 9668 Old 08-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
55.3 shows listings past 9/4 and all the way up to 9/8 on TitanTV. Perhaps it's a glitch with the TiVo guide.
Hope it's just a TiVo glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
...WEAK or WEAK(er) will pick them up. That is, if they haven't yet been forced to sign off by the repack.
Not like it would make any difference here
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9373 of 9668 Old 08-26-2017, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 15,570
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
When is the deadline for these channel-sharing application to be filed? Pretty soon I would assume?

Can stations going off the air (or becoming "sharee's" like WUAB) file for an extension and stay on a little longer or is January 2018 the drop-dead date for them?
The deadline is late November, as I recall. It's 120 days after receipt of payment.

They can seek an extension with good cause (up to 180 additional days for sharing stations), but they have to file it in advance. They can't wait until January 2018 and say "oops, we need an extension."

- Trip
nsa1062 likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #9374 of 9668 Old 08-28-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
WBNX 55.3 in my Tivo Guide is listed as "TBA" starting 9/4 at 8AM. It's been this way for at least a few days.

Wonder if this means anything? It's unheard of for the TiVo guide to not be populated only a week or so out.

Could this mean Movies! being dropped (and possibly replace with MeTV)?

19.2 still shows MeTV listings all the way to the end.
Would there be a logical reasoning for MeTV to go to 55?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
55.3 shows listings past 9/4 and all the way up to 9/8 on TitanTV. Perhaps it's a glitch with the TiVo guide.

WBNX's current contract with Movies! doesn't end until March 23, 2018. If they do drop Movies!, you can bet that WEAK or WEAK(er) will pick them up. That is, if they haven't yet been forced to sign off by the repack.
OR they could go over to WIVM.... I still miss this TV.

Anyone notice Hollie Strano appeared she had a bad cold or was crying this morning?
Bismarck440 is online now  
post #9375 of 9668 Old 08-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I also miss This TV. I just sent them another email this morning to notify them WIVM does not reach the Cleveland area.

I see Grit is still on 43.3. I wonder if it will stay until they shut down 43?

Last edited by skiwest; 08-28-2017 at 10:29 AM.
skiwest is offline  
post #9376 of 9668 Old 08-28-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwest View Post
I also miss This TV. I just sent them another email this morning to notify them WIVM does not reach the Cleveland area.

I see Grit is still on 43.3. I wonder if it will stay until they shut down 43?

I'm sure the folks @ This TV are aware of this, they will likely be looking for another affiliate anyway after WIVM is forced to shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
WBNX 55.3 in my Tivo Guide is listed as "TBA" starting 9/4 at 8AM. It's been this way for at least a few days.

Wonder if this means anything? It's unheard of for the TiVo guide to not be populated only a week or so out.

Could this mean Movies! being dropped (and possibly replace with MeTV)?

19.2 still shows MeTV listings all the way to the end.
I'll have to look at what the Channel Master has.
Bismarck440 is online now  
post #9377 of 9668 Old 08-28-2017, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Looks like there are some Movies! listings now after 9/4 now on 55.3. So I guess it was a TiVo issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I'm sure the folks @ This TV are aware of this, they will likely be looking for another affiliate anyway after WIVM is forced to shut down.



I'll have to look at what the Channel Master has.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9378 of 9668 Old 08-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Would there be a logical reasoning for MeTV to go to 55?
Because 55 already has 2 Weigel channels. They would be the logical place for MeTV to go if WOIO dropped them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
OR they could go over to WIVM....
Sure hope not.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9379 of 9668 Old 08-28-2017, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwest View Post
I also miss This TV. I just sent them another email this morning to notify them WIVM does not reach the Cleveland area.
Did you ever mention to COZI that WEKA doesn't reach the Canton area? (They have it listed as Cleveland now, but the map marker still points to Canton, WEKA's COL).

Not sure why WJW never picked up This TV as it's been a Tribune operated network since WBNX dropped them. WBNX likely dropped them because of their relationship with Weigel, and This TV was originally operated by Weigel. When Tribune took over the network, it was like WBNX wanted nothing to do with them, and they never fixed the issues or alignment of the bug overlay. It was probably a good day for them when their This TV contract ran out and they flipped 55.3 to Movies!. With my luck, This TV may come back to Cleveland on one of the DTV America stations, and with the Sinner-Clair buyout still waiting for approval, WJW will probably pickup their crummy diginets with their bottom-of-the-barrel programming.

...OR BECOME A 3RD GRIT AFFILIATE!!!

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is online now  
post #9380 of 9668 Old 08-28-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Because 55 already has 2 Weigel channels. They would be the logical place for MeTV to go if WOIO dropped them.
I don't think WBNX wants to add another subchannel for MeTV, unless they replace an existing diginet or the Ernest Angley channel with it. Besides, I would rather not have WBNX carry MeTV as they get carried away with weather scrawls and the very annoying EAS alert. I can't enjoy any of their channels without the EAS alert scaring the crap out of me when there's a small thunderstorm in the area. They must get their weather updates from Mark Johnson. Oh yeah, and the audio for MeTV will be quieter too.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for MeTV on WKYC should WOIO drop them, either on .3 or .4. Never seen an pre-emption or weather banner over the Justice Network. Their weather channel on the other hand... yes, but they can block out the less popular Justice Network first.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is online now  
post #9381 of 9668 Old 08-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
nsa1062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Since the Aug 1 anniversary date has long passed, do you think WOIO will even drop MeTV at this point? Can they just drop a sub in the middle of a contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
I don't think WBNX wants to add another subchannel for MeTV, unless they replace an existing diginet or the Ernest Angley channel with it. Besides, I would rather not have WBNX carry MeTV as they get carried away with weather scrawls and the very annoying EAS alert. I can't enjoy any of their channels without the EAS alert scaring the crap out of me when there's a small thunderstorm in the area. They must get their weather updates from Mark Johnson. Oh yeah, and the audio for MeTV will be quieter too.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for MeTV on WKYC should WOIO drop them, either on .3 or .4. Never seen an pre-emption or weather banner over the Justice Network. Their weather channel on the other hand... yes, but they can block out the less popular Justice Network first.
nsa1062 is offline  
post #9382 of 9668 Old 08-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
wd8kct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Anyone notice Hollie Strano appeared she had a bad cold or was crying this morning?
(@holliesmiles):
"So sorry! Just had a coughing attack on tv! Thank you for dealing with my cold!"

Last edited by wd8kct; 08-29-2017 at 08:48 AM.
wd8kct is offline  
post #9383 of 9668 Old 08-28-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snowdog 88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Since the Aug 1 anniversary date has long passed, do you think WOIO will even drop MeTV at this point? Can they just drop a sub in the middle of a contract?
I don't know. I've have heard of one station that publicly announced dropping Antenna TV a few years back, and the outcry from viewers changed the station's decision to temporally carry it for another 3 months to eventually renewing their 3 year contract.

It's likely that WOIO can obtain a short term contract renewal for MeTV, which would make sense if the network is in the process of looking for another local affiliate like Gary16 mentioned. As for an immediate termination of a contract, probably not likely unless there is a good reason to drop that network. ("We need more bandwidth because we have dated encoders" is probably not a plausible statement).

The programming department at WOIO told me a month or so ago that no decisions have been made yet. I'm sure 43.3 is getting axed seeing that Grit is already on WEWS. MeTV never replied back to my email, probably to prevent an official statement from circulating before it is announced or decided on.

Newer is not always better.
snowdog 88 is online now  
post #9384 of 9668 Old 08-29-2017, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
JJkizak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TWINSBURG, OHIO
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just looked on the TWC forum threads and those guys are paying possibly $193.00 per month after upgrades to Spectrum. Gee, and I am still waiting for 21 x 9 TV's with the 3.0 tuner. I must be getting old.
JJK
JJkizak is online now  
post #9385 of 9668 Old 08-29-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Andrew K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Trip, I noticed on the RabbitEars website that many stations are switching from horizontal polarization to elliptical with their repack construction permits. What will this accomplish? Will we notice much difference? It appears that you're indicating WQHS and WEWS are already elliptical polarization while most other locals are currently not.
Andrew K is offline  
post #9386 of 9668 Old 08-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Senior Member
 
wd8kct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Trip, I noticed on the RabbitEars website that many stations are switching from horizontal polarization to elliptical with their repack construction permits. What will this accomplish? Will we notice much difference? It appears that you're indicating WQHS and WEWS are already elliptical polarization while most other locals are currently not.
Maybe to better serve the upcoming mobile/portable market.
wd8kct is offline  
post #9387 of 9668 Old 08-29-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 15,570
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Trip, I noticed on the RabbitEars website that many stations are switching from horizontal polarization to elliptical with their repack construction permits. What will this accomplish? Will we notice much difference? It appears that you're indicating WQHS and WEWS are already elliptical polarization while most other locals are currently not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
Maybe to better serve the upcoming mobile/portable market.
That's certainly part of it, but there's also the fact that indoor antennas perform better with elliptical polarization just due to the increase in power density and the possibility of polarity shifts.

I suspect most of us on this forum will not notice any great differences since we're already pretty far ahead of the game with our antenna setups. It may make life easier for the casual viewer, however.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #9388 of 9668 Old 08-29-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Because 55 already has 2 Weigel channels. They would be the logical place for MeTV to go if WOIO dropped them.
Nothing against Movies!, but I may like that scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Even in remote rural areas they get tropo, so these low-power internet signals will get wiped out half the time in the summer. Can't see that being very successful.
Will these internet signals be interfering with local TV or tropo themselves to affect TV signals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd8kct View Post
(@holliesmiles):
"So sorry! Just had a coughing attack on tv! Thank you for dealing with my cold!"
I normally don't watch 3 in the AM (but 8 was gone again), I thought it might be personal issues, just wanted to give her a hug & tell her everything will be A-OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Trip, I noticed on the RabbitEars website that many stations are switching from horizontal polarization to elliptical with their repack construction permits. What will this accomplish? Will we notice much difference? It appears that you're indicating WQHS and WEWS are already elliptical polarization while most other locals are currently not.
Perhaps it will null out Northeastern Lake County, as these are 2 of the 3 stations I can get with an indoor antenna most of the time, along with WUAB which is going bye bye.
Bismarck440 is online now  
post #9389 of 9668 Old 08-29-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 15,570
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
That's certainly part of it, but there's also the fact that indoor antennas perform better with elliptical polarization just due to the increase in power density and the possibility of polarity shifts.

I suspect most of us on this forum will not notice any great differences since we're already pretty far ahead of the game with our antenna setups. It may make life easier for the casual viewer, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Perhaps it will null out Northeastern Lake County, as these are 2 of the 3 stations I can get with an indoor antenna most of the time, along with WUAB which is going bye bye.
I, of course, forgot that our friend Bismarck is using an indoor antenna.

- Trip
OTA Newbie likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #9390 of 9668 Old 08-29-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bismarck440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NE Ohio... AKA the angry white planet Ohth
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
I, of course, forgot that our friend Bismarck is using an indoor antenna.

- Trip
Actually my main is a vintage RS 120 mi Combo Yagi (in attic), but a small set top loop is capable for the 3 channels aforementioned (for the mostpart).
Bismarck440 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off