Cleveland, OH - HDTV - Page 316 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 538Likes

post #9451 of 9467 Old 09-15-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Looks like he's in Avon. Definitely on the edge of WOIO's null and likely close enough to the lake for CFPL to be an issue.
The engineers @ WOIO assured me that the CFPL issue goes to the west side lake shore communities, then stated about their repeater for the Greater Akron area, the null to the north/northeast is specifically unaddressed, & it is what it is, & since WOIO was assigned RF 10 by the FCC they are stuck with it until the repack.... & we see how that went.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 9467 Old 09-16-2017, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
I might have not realized what else I could receive. I do have a lot of trees in the way and this affects reception somewhat in the summertime.
As fall/winter approaches, I note ION is slowly disappearing every so often now, I seem to have the opposite effect here & I lose my "fringe" stations during the winter months. The reappear as the leaves start to bud in the spring.
post #9453 of 9467 Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Does anyone know if WDLI TBN is entering a sharing agreement? Rabbitears indicates that it is going off the air, but I heard a conflicting story a couple months ago.

post #9454 of 9467 Old 09-18-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
Does anyone know if WDLI TBN is entering a sharing agreement? Rabbitears indicates that it is going off the air, but I heard a conflicting story a couple months ago.
I have no inside information.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9455 of 9467 Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wonder how much longer W16DO is stuck with Retro TV? It would be nice to see them switch to a network that is a little more entertaining.
post #9456 of 9467 Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwest View Post
I wonder how much longer W16DO is stuck with Retro TV? It would be nice to see them switch to a network that is a little more entertaining.
I happen to like the Saturday night Lineup, (Son of Ghoul, Offbeat Cinema, Horror Hotel)... though it will be going away for the winter.

They seem to get a lot of Canadian Produced programming. Didn't they once show the Movin' On Series from NBC '75-76 on Sundays?
OTA Newbie likes this.
post #9457 of 9467 Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Son of Ghoul is locally produced, right? So that could likely continue even if they switched.
post #9458 of 9467 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Son of Ghoul is locally produced, right? So that could likely continue even if they switched.
Believe he was affiliated with WAOC 67 years back & the Cat picked him up. Does or is Retro / W16DO carried on Cable in Lake County? Not that I would get cable for this purpose, that's just not what I do... including what goes on at WOIO.... I'm just going to live without them or the Browns for that matter, hopefully they find another affiliate in '21.. if I'm still around.

I like Svenghoulie too, but again, that's another WOIO loss.... local programming can be great, & not only programming limited to this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
SI do have a lot of trees in the way and this affects reception somewhat in the summertime.
I noted over the past few years the treeline has changed quite a bit with the ash bore disease... still i lose stations in the winter months.
post #9459 of 9467 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Believe he was affiliated with WAOC 67 years back & the Cat picked him up. Does or is Retro / W16DO carried on Cable in Lake County? Not that I would get cable for this purpose, that's just not what I do... including what goes on at WOIO.... I'm just going to live without them or the Browns for that matter, hopefully they find another affiliate in '21.. if I'm still around.

I like Svenghoulie too, but again, that's another WOIO loss.... local programming can be great, & not only programming limited to this area.

I noted over the past few years the treeline has changed quite a bit with the ash bore disease... still i lose stations in the winter months.
While I think it is the trees that cause WEAO to get weaker for me in the summertime, I have noticed that as fall approaches I don't receive WRLM as well although my antenna is pointed towards WEAO primarily. It will be interesting to see what happens after the channel switch and WEAO using horizontal/vertical polarization in the future if that will hurt or help at my location.
post #9460 of 9467 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
If you have the antenna in the attic, it's already blocking a large percentage of signal. Trees block roughly 90% of UHF signals. An antenna in an enclosed attic suffers even more loss of UHF. The good news is that you don't need much signal to get a watchable picture. I had a large maple tree removed from my backyard a few months ago. It was about 15' away from my UHF antenna, but I didn't notice much difference before and after. I suppose your difference in summer and winter signals could just have to do with the weather. There's a lot of regional tropo in the summer caused by nighttime cooling. Maybe it's just enough to bring in the weaker semi-locals.
post #9461 of 9467 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
I wonder how much longer they are going to broadcast a crappy analog image along with distorted audio. Would be nice if W16DO would add some subchannels with the popular diginets that WEKA & WQDI currently has. You know, those two stations that about 2% of viewers within their coverage area can receive.

If Media-Com dumped some money into W16DO and shifted their focus towards the Cleveland area, their .1 could be a 24/7 independently operated station with a wider selection of local content. I'm not asking for a format similar to what WOIO, WUAB and WBNX had before they dropped their independent formats, just something with a focus aimed towards local communities. They can keep S.O.G., but they should either drop or greatly revamp The Steve French Sports Talk Show as it looks like he's broadcasting from his basement. Heck, amateur videos on YouTube are more professional than his show. What a joke! And that church program that's on in the mornings... I hope they aren't paying more than $5 for Media-Com to broadcast it from their DVD player.

As for Retro, I wish they would go away or get sold off to someone else or change it's format. It was the first diginet that specialized in classic TV, but Me-TV and Antenna TV later on created too much competition, and the network had to resort to lesser known, bottom-of-the-barrel programming along with public domain copies of the more popular shows. (That Festival of Fear host looks like a horrible knockoff of Svengoolie). My guess as to why Media-Com replaced America One with Retro was that they were probably afraid their channels would be forgotten after the switch to digital as most over-the-air viewers would use their converter boxes exclusively and not watch the low powers still broadcasting an analog signal. Retro was probably the answer to convince viewers to use the pass-though on their converter boxes in order to watch their channels as (at the time) Retro had better programming than America One.

Newer is not always better.
post #9462 of 9467 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
My guess as to why Media-Com replaced America One with Retro was that they were probably afraid their channels would be forgotten after the switch to digital as most over-the-air viewers would use their converter boxes exclusively and not watch the low powers still broadcasting an analog signal. Retro was probably the answer to convince viewers to use the pass-though on their converter boxes in order to watch their channels as (at the time) Retro had better programming than America One.
Hey any network that carries Dr. Who can't be all bad!
America One no longer exists (since 2015). It's successor is called "Yootoo America". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_One
post #9463 of 9467 Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P 2341 View Post
Hey any network that carries Dr. Who can't be all bad!
America One no longer exists (since 2015). It's successor is called "Yootoo America". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_One
They also have the Beverly Hillbillies I think.
JJK
post #9464 of 9467 Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Just the public domain episodes (with the theme music changed, since this is still copyrighted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJkizak View Post
They also have the Beverly Hillbillies I think.
JJK
post #9465 of 9467 Old Today, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Surprised that no one has posted this yet. Cozi TV starts September 30th on a channel people can actually receive, WKYC/3.3.

http://wkycdirectorscut.blogspot.com...september.html
post #9466 of 9467 Old Today, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Excellent!

I guess no more weather radar. No big deal, it's mostly PSA's anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
Surprised that no one has posted this yet. Cozi TV starts September 30th on a channel people can actually receive, WKYC/3.3.

http://wkycdirectorscut.blogspot.com...september.html
post #9467 of 9467 Old Today, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa1062 View Post
Excellent!

I guess no more weather radar. No big deal, it's mostly PSA's anyway.
The new station will replace the station's current weather channel on 3.3 that will no longer be available over the air after September 29th.

I will miss the WX.

So will WEAK have to drop COZI?

Channel Fifty Too was coming in this AM, the Sub on 52.2 had a GREEN tint, & there was no PISP info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page